Too Much

Murder in the Woods

Hyukjae

 

                I didn’t know what was happening behind me. I was too busy trying to block all of this out of my mind. I didn’t want to remember how it felt or how it sounded or what I was thinking or anything. I didn’t want to remember that for the rest of my days. It was too much.

                “What should we do with the body?” He asked me. I shivered. The body. It wasn’t even a person anymore.

                “I-I don’t know… What are we even supposed to do? I-I-I…. and this happened… I don’t even know what – how…” I couldn’t speak properly. My voice was broken.

                “Hey, it’s alright. You can tell me about it later, but we just have to figure out what to do right now. There isn’t anyone around these woods for miles so we shouldn’t have a problem moving it, but that’s only if we want to hide it and get away with this. I mean… I don’t even know if we should go to the police.” He sounded unsure. He was only trying to think of me while he did this though.

                He has always been the composed one. Usually I’m the strong one. I’m smarter than him, and I’ve got more ideas, but he’s always been much simpler. He can think clearer in these situations. I can’t really compare this situation to anything else though. I just don’t know. I don’t know what to do. I should know what to do though. I wish I did.

                “Do you know… him?” He asked me suddenly. I was shocked so I turned around. I shouldn’t have turned around. I saw the body, but its head was turned away from me. I couldn’t see its eyes.

                “N-No… I don’t know – I mean, I don’t think so. I just – I don’t know. No, no I don’t know… him.”

                He looked at me and then he sighed. I didn’t like it when he sighed because – especially in this predicament – it meant he was disappointed in me. I knew he was. I didn’t want him to be. Perhaps he wasn’t really upset at me though. I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know.

                “Hey, hey, hey, it’s okay. Hyukjae, it is all okay. You’re going to be okay.” He crawled over to me and he pet my head. His hand was so soothing. It made me feel better. It really did. I calmed down.

                “Really?” I looked up at him, he seemed so sure. I hoped he was.

                “Of course. Would I lie to you?” He smiled and all of my worries went away. He was here for me. He was here with me.

                He went back to the body. He was looking for the person’s wallet and he found it in the jacket pocket. He was looking at it and I couldn’t stop myself from wondering what would happen.

                What are you supposed to do after murdering someone?