Weird

Murder in the Woods

Donghae

 

                Somehow – I don’t know how – we were able to get the body inside without being seen. It was true that I was a little – just a little – frustrated with him now. It wasn’t all his fault though, my nerves were set on end is all. This whole predicament we’ve gotten ourselves into is just a little trying for me, and I let those emotions get the better of me. I made up my mind to explain that to him when all of this was over. Knowing him, he would be beating himself up over the entire thing when it wasn’t even his fault. It’s all my fault one way or the other. No, wait. No one should be at fault here. We did nothing wrong after all.

                “It’s this way.” He said to me, his voice dejected. I followed him with a frown on my face. I really wanted to apologize, but now wasn’t the time for that.

                “Right.” I said and we carried – although we had been reduced to dragging – the body in the direction he pointed out.

                “Do you think there’ll be any urns left here?” He asked me, turning his head to look at me as we walked.

                “I hope so. If not, we could just use a box or a plastic bag. I’m sure those things could be found around here.” It was weird.

                “Yeah. By the looks of it, they haven’t finished cleaning everything out of here, so we should be able to find something afterwards.”

                “I’ll look for it in a little.” We were talking so casually about what we would put the ashes in. It was like hiding a body was as common as hiding your Halloween candy.

                It was quiet after that. There wasn’t really much to talk about. There was only the sound of the body dragging across the floor. The scritch and scratch of the coat and the thwack and thump of the arms that hung at the sides rang out in the abandoned crematory at intermittent paces. It was pretty dark, so we couldn’t help but let the dead thing knock into whatever was in its way. I did look down a few times and I noticed that there was a trail of blood patches coming in from the entrance. I wrote it down mentally that I would have to go back and clean that up later.

                “It should be in here,” he stopped just ahead of me. “I really hope it works.”