Promise

Murder in the Woods

Donghae

 

                Frankly, I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know how to react to something like this. All I could do was be there for him. I hoped that that was enough. At least for now.

                I’d figure something out later. I had to. I had to be the strong one right now. It was all I could do. I wanted to do more though. I wanted to be able to erase all of his problems and for everything to get better as soon as possible.

                Something like that wouldn’t easily happen though. I knew it couldn’t. For now, I’d let him cry his heart out to me. I’d pay no attention to his laughter mixed in, or the way he smiled as he cried. I didn’t understand it, but he probably didn’t either.

                All I could do was embrace him like this and hope for the best. I would think of something later. I knew I would.

                Almost a half hour passed and he seemed to calm down. I was his hair and speaking calming words like he was a child having a tantrum or someone going through a bad time in their life. It seemed like both of them were happening to him. But I’d be there no matter what.

                So what if he had killed someone? He must have had a reason. He’s not the type of person to do something like that. I know him. I know him better than I know myself. He probably feels the same way though, so we’re even.

                I raised his head and held his cheeks in my hands. I smiled at him and kissed his tears away. I promised him everything would be okay. I promised him that nothing bad would happen.

                “I’ll be right here with you forever, I promise.” I told him over and over again until he could see clearly.

                He looked at me and he smiled. The kind of smile that you could see all of the weaknesses through. The kind of smile that said he was tired.

                “Don’t you worry one bit. I won’t ever leave you. I’ll help you get through this, I promise you.” I told him and I meant it. I meant every word.

                He looked at me and he understood. We were going to get through this, no matter what happened.

                I helped him stand up and he brushed the snow off of his jeans. They were pretty wet now, he must be freezing too. He had a winter jacket on, but it was covered in blood, blood and snow. I too, had blood on me, from hugging him for so long. But that didn’t matter. I’m sure it would wash out, and if not, who cares?

                He looked at the body, but he soon turned away. I wanted to do the same, but I couldn’t. I had to take care of this. I had to take care of him.