Funny

Murder in the Woods

Donghae

 

                I was stunned, standing solemnly in the middle of the burning room, because he had left me. I tried to reach out to him, to tell him, but he had left me. I knew he was coming back, but there was something inside of me that feared he wouldn’t return. I didn’t want that and so I had to fight the urge to run chasing after him. I knew that he needed his time alone right now, but selfish me, wanted him to stay a while longer.

                The room was heating up, and I had to my coat if I were to withstand the heat. Because my mind would go crazy if I did nothing, I started to look around for something to put the ashes in. There had to be something in all of this mess that I could use for the remains, something not too conspicuous though. It would be good if they had any urns left over, because then it wouldn’t raise any suspicion of having a box of ashes with us.

                I walked over to a pile documents and fallen over shelves in the corner. I knelt down and sifted through the papers. A few of them caught my eyes, and I lingered upon them, eavesdropping on pointless files that had nothing to do with anything concerning me or him, yet I still read the different documents. There was one that took a tally on how many bodies had been burned that day, while another was for taking stock of the safety suits that employees were made to wear while working. I guess we’d be fired for now wearing safety suits, then, I snickered but then caught myself. What was I even doing?

                I guessed that looking through things I shouldn’t be looking through was common human nature, so it was forgivable, but making jokes in a crematory? Not cool. Especially when dealing with murder. I thought that I must have been going crazy, and I almost wanted to blame it on him. The corpse that was currently burning to a crisp.