Certain

Murder in the Woods

Hyukjae

 

                The road was quiet, by that I mean that there weren’t many cars around. It was a good thing because it dimmed out chances of being caught by someone who looked into our car. It’d be really difficult to see the body since it was hidden under a few things. Even though you could know that nothing bad was going to happen, or that it was a surefire plan, there was always that subconscious voice hanging out in the back of your head that was whispering words of defeat and doubt into your ear. Although I didn’t believe that our plan was going to work without a hitch, that voice was still there and it was screaming at me.

                I couldn’t calm down the entire ride, and every time we stopped beside a car or there was someone walking on the sidewalk beside the road, I would always fidget with my fingers because I had this aching feeling that we’d end up in jail or something.

                “Take a right here,” I said after I suddenly realized which road we were on.

                “Sure.” He looked over at me for a split second before watching the road again. “Are you sure that where we’re going is going to be safe?”

                I was silent for a moment. I almost hated him for saying that, but then I corrected myself and sat straight in my seat. I couldn’t hate him, not after what he’s doing for me. It’s just that how can anyone be sure that what they’re doing is safe? I mean, in my opinion, nothing is ever truly right or wrong and nothing is ever truly safe or dangerous. Maybe that’s just me, but I did have to reassure him, because if I replied half-heartedly, I’m sure he would get upset and we might have to rethink everything.

                “Yeah, I’m pretty sure. I mean, it’s been abandoned for a while, and they aren’t supposed to be doing any construction on it for a while either. At worst there would be one or two squatters?”

                “Squatters? Ha, I bet they’ll be too messed up to care if we carry a body right through their bedroom.” He sounded irritated. Well, it wasn’t exactly irritation, more like a nervous support system to cope with what was going on. I couldn’t blame him. I was probably doing the same thing too, by over-analyzing and thinking about too much.

                “I just really hope that everything still works,” I say this as I look out the window and watch the trees whip by. “Oh, turn left up here.”

                “Yeah, I’m hoping that there’s something we can put him in there. Like it wouldn’t be too suspicious if we were travelling with an urn in our backseat or anything.”

                I looked at him out of the corner of my eye and I grew a bit agitated. I didn’t like how he referred to the body as ‘him’ it just didn’t ring right for my ears.

                “Hey, Donghae?”

                “Hmm? What is it?” We were pulled up at a red light so he turned his head to look at me fully.

                “Are you certain that we will be able to get through all of this?"