• Im Jaebum •

Hybrid Slave
Jaebum. Im Jaebum. The heir of IM Entertainment. 21 years old.
 
Jaebum let out a heavy sigh as his dad continued to reprimand him. " How could you defy my orders? Let me tell you once again. My son will be getting a hybrid as a slave ! Do you know how much status I will lose if you don't get one? Every heir of Korea's companies is entitled to obtain one . So, don't you dare to break the tradition. We will get you one this Sunday and we will leave the auction place with one ! " Jaebum frowned. Why could his father understand? " No Dad! I don't want to have the life of another person on my hands. What right do we even have to gain them? They are humans too , and - " Jaebum stood up angrily and vented his frustration. 
 
" Jaebum ! " The said man rolled his eyes and looked straight at his father, annoyance clearly etched on his face. " These pathetic creatures deserve no rights! They aren't humans, do you hear me? They. Are . Just. Low. Life. Beings! So , don't try to show sympathy to them. It will only make others look down on us. " His father bellowed, taking big strides to the door of Jaebum's room before stopping at the doorframe. After a lengthy silence between them, his father grunted.
 
" It's final. We go down on Sunday. I won't let you leave the auction house empty handed, but I'll let you have your pick. Spend as much as you want to bid. I don't care. Just get one, for haven's sake. " And with that, the door slammed shut, causing Jaebum's room to shake. Jaebum shook his head in frustration. Didn't his father get him? Hybrids were not to be treated like animals, though they were half. They were humans themselves, and had thoughts and feelings like a human too. However, both him and his father were particularly stubborn. What else could he do? 
 
To say he was okay with hybrids was an understatement. Jaebum loved hybrids . He simply found them adorable, with their human features, animal features and instincts. The only thing that bothered him was the hybrid law. Oh how he wished to abolish it, to make everyone realize that those hybrids had rights. And then reality shattered that dream. It wasn't possible. 
 
Jaebum had a lot on his plate right now. Most people thought that heirs could just sit on the bum and do nothing but no ! Jaebum was tasked with half of his dad's work, with excuses thrown at him. "You need to familiarize yourself with the work that needs to be done." " I'm too old to be doing this type of work." Jaebum was sure he would be getting white hair anytime soon. On the other hand, being a heir meant many things, for one, having a huge mansion, with many girls throwing themselves at his feet. Crinkling his nose in disgust at the thought, Jaebum stared out of the window. He wasn't gay,  Jaebum assured himself. He was just... Not interested. Yes, not interested. 
 
But the auction house... Jaebum groaned and collapsed on his bed. He really had no choice, didn't he? Picking up his phone, he laid on his back and dialed his best friend, Jinyoung. 
 
"Jaebum? " Jinyoung finally answered. " Oh Jinyoung, I really don't know what to do... You see -" Jaebum poured out all his frustrations and anger to Jinyoung, his only listening ear. Jinyoung listened to whatever Jaebum had said carefully, occasionally mumbling a " yes " or " I see ". After Jaebum had finally cooled down, Jinyoung blurted out. " I think you should follow what your dad wants you to do. He is your father after all." Jaebum opened his mouth ready to retort back but Jinyoung continued. " However, you should think of it as helping one kind soul. Imagine what would have happened if the hybrid you decide to bring back had landed in the hands of another buyer. " Jaebum pondered over that thought for a moment. It was true. At least he would be able to make a difference to that hybrid. 
 
 
Long after Jinyoung had hanged up on him, Jaebum stared holes into his ceiling. Recalling the blonde hair of the cat hybrid he helped out the other night, he closed his eyes, smiling lightly. 
 
~
 
" I'm just going to go out for a walk. Any problem with that? " Jaebum exclaimed angrily as he grabbed his coat and slammed the front door shut. Again, he had been arguing with his father about getting a hybrid as a personal slave, only to no avail. He glanced up to the sky. It was dark, with tiny bright dots illuminating the shadows. Such a beautiful night, and only if Mom was here to witness it for herself. Biting his bottom lip, Jaebum followed the pathway to who knows where, as memories of his mom popped back into his head.
 
When he was 5, Jaebum got bullied by other kids of his age. He remembered crying when he ran home, diving straight into the arms of his mom as he bawled his tiny eyes out. His mom had hugged him tightly whilst cleaning his tears away. "Its alright Jaebum, don't cry..." Now, Jaebum could almost smell her familiar scent. 
 
When he was 17, he remembered seeing his mom on her deathbed, in the hospital, frail and weak. His dad had the audacity to come up with some silly excuse for not seeing her off, even thought he loved- or had once loved her. He remembered pleading for his mom not to leave him, as she was the only one that really loved him. " Jaebum, don't cry..." She had managed to choke out. " All living things will have to eventually die. Promise Mom that you will find your soulmate, fall in love and not repeat the same mistakes I made with your father. Do good and help the weak, Jaebum. Thats all I want you to promise me." 
 
And with that, she was gone. Jaebum had cried himself to sleep every night for a few weeks after that.
 
~
 
Biting the inside of his cheeks to will himself not to cry, Jaebum leaned against the nearest lamp post. If only... If only Mom was able to... He closed his eyes. What was the point of regretting? He couldn't bring his mom back. He couldn't reverse time. He couldn't see his Mom anymore. The only one that ever loved him.
 
Rubbing his eyes to rid the forming tears, he rested his head on the lamp post, shaking himself back into reality. "GET OFF ME! " Jaebum whipped around in confusion, all thoughts from before quickly disppearing, staring at the source of the sound, which was coming from the nearby alley. Quickly, he ran to the entrance of the alley and what Jaebum saw made his blood boil.
 
It was a blonde hybrid, with two fluffy ears peeking out from the sea of blonde hair. His tail was waving around frantically, trying to block and escape from the clutches of two other men who seemed clearly intoxicated. What did they want with him? Jaebum frowned and looked down. Had the hybrid done something wrong? He looked back at the conflict, only to see the hybrid biting down, hard, on one of the men's hand. Ouch. Jaebum flinched. However, the man smiled, whispered something Jaebum was unable to hear and stretched a hand out to touch the hybrid's ears, caressing it. His fists clenched unknowingly as he saw the blonde hybrid hissing and struggling to escape from the men's touches. 
 
 "Do good and help the weak." Mom had always said told him, even on her deathbed. Not wanting to witness anymore, Jaebum , without a second thought, ran forward, not too close so as to maintain a fair distance between them. "Yah! Get your filthy hands off him." Immediately, the two men turned and narrowed their eyes at him. The hybrid's ears perked up, and he turned from the two men to look at Jaebum. Jaebum swore he felt his heart stop.
 
The blonde was a beautiful cat hybrid, his porcelain skin glowing under the faint moonlight and dim lights on the alley walls, with a tiny mole under his eye. Like a doll, Jaebum smiled. 
 
The two men were far from annoyed. They were pissed that someone had intruded when they were having fun. Tension grew as Jaebum started lashing out on them, but to no avail. 
 
"And why should we? We saw him first. What we want to do with him is none of your business. " And with that, one of the men put the blonde hybrid in a headlock, and tightened his grip, causing the blonde to whimper in fright. That seemed to do the trick for Jaebum. He gritted his teeth and charged towards the two men. Easily, Jaebum had them writhing on the floor in pain, too weak from alcohol and too afraid to do anything more.
 
Noticing the hybrid staring blankly into space with his mouth wide open, Jaebum went over cautiously and put his hand on the hybrid's shoulder. Jaebum quickly retracted his hand when he made the hybrid flinch, probably still in shock from the ordeal. "Hey, I didn't mean to scare you.." He tried to explain but stopped when he was met with the blonde's gaze, flustered and embarrassed.
 
Jaebum found it funny how the blonde had mumbled a word of thanks, a coat of blush covering his cheeks as he ran away. That kid sure was cute. He laughed to himself as he turned back to make his way home, kicking the two men still groaning on the floor as he sauntered out. Hopefully that blonde hybrid doesn't get into any more trouble...
 
[Edited: 26.10.15]