• Choi Youngjae •

Hybrid Slave
//Hybrids were often looked down upon , their tails and animal ears often distinguishable from humans. Ever since a law was passed down from the result of riots and violence, it was decided every hybrid was either made a slave by force or voluntarily. All hybrids were to be slaves by their 18 birthday.//
 
There are many ways to recognise Choi Youngjae. Youngjae, a black velvety coated cat, had two furry ears popping in and out of his hair every few minutes at his will and a fluffy tail which was always curled around his leg.
 

Youngjae's life had been full of ups and downs. When he was 3, his mother walked out on them, yelling that she wouldn't accept a lowlife hybrid as a son. When he was 5, the neighbourhood kids loved to gang up on him and pull forcefully on his tiny cat ears. When he was 10, his father became an alcoholic, beating Youngjae with his belt whenever he felt like it. At 15, he was rejected by his crush, humiliated and depressed . 

" Who would even fall for a cat hybrid? Please! Hybrids are the lowest beings on the planet.. What makes you think I will be willing to be in a relationship with you? I'll be the laughing stock of the school! Having a relationship with you? Look at your pitiful face ! I'd rather jump off a building. " Although there were many times Youngjae felt like ending it all, to escape from the cruel reality , but he never had the courage to do so. He couldn't change his fate after all.
 
2 more weeks.
2 more weeks to what was supposed to be the best moments of his life.
2 more weeks to his 18th birthday.
2 more weeks to when he was due to find an owner.
 
Youngjae sighed, running his soapy fingers through his blonde fringe as he pondered on his dilemma. How was he supposed to find some "owner " in 2 weeks?? However, without doing so, he might receive the death sentence . Why can't they just abolish that law? Frowning as he continued to wash the dirty dishes in the sink, he glanced at the clock. 9 o'clock already? He hurriedly scrubbed his hands clean of any soap and removed his apron, before bidding farewell to Mrs Choi, the kind owner of the noodle shop. He was satisfied with the pay there, since not many jobs were available for hybrids. Swishing his tail in the air , he grabbed his backpack hanging from the doorway and scampered out. Dad was sure to be mad at him if he did not reach home on time. 
 
~
Panting as he tried to regain his breath, he leaned onto the bus stop pole for support as his tail lied limply behind his back. Youngjae had ran to the bus stop to try and catch the last bus home, only to be stopped short when the bus sped off, the bus driver not even giving him a second glance. Youngjae furrowed his brows. How was he going to get home now? As if on cue, his eyes espied the nearby dimly lit alleyway. Should I? But its so dark and... Argh, just go! Why are you being such a scaredy cat? Youngjae groaned. Yes, being a cat hybrid he had possessed night vision, but it wasn't as good as others thought. 
 
Without another thought, he scampered down the alley, his tail wrapped around his chest nervously as his ears twitched. This place was definitely bad news. The only sound was some club music from one of the alley's closed doors and some mice running about. Youngjae shuddered. The faster he got through this alley, the better. As if reading his thoughts, in front of him, a door opened on cue, with two drunk men stumbling out, each holding a beer bottle in their hands, mumbling coherently. Youngjae frowned, and tried to move as far away from these men. They were trouble. Sticking close to the wall, he tried to inch alongside them. 
 
" Hey pretty boy. Where do you think you're going? " A hand grabbed him on the shoulder. . "Um... Home? If you can excuse me I need to be home - " Youngjae squeaked, whipping his head around to see one of the men looking up and down his body like a hawk. "How about an offer, to stay a night with us ? " The other man staggered forward to put an arm on Youngjae's elbow, trying to pull Youngjae towards him.  . He needed to get away now. At once. Youngjae started panicking as he tried to westle his way out of the two men's grip. Unsurprisingly, he was much weaker than two of them combined. " GET OFF ME ! " Youngjae ,now filled with panic, yelled as he bit down on one of the men's hand. " ! A feisty one eh? " The man grinned as he tried to touch Youngjae's cat ears. Between all the pulling and pushing, Youngjae was distraught. What was he going to do? On the verge of tears, he was about to breakdown and give in , closing his eyes when- 
 
" Yah! Get your filthy hands off him." An unfamiliar voice rang through the alley. Youngjae's ears perked up. Who? Opening his eyes and following the two men's line of sight, he saw a man, shadow casted over him, just a few meters away from them. "I'm warning you. Get . Away. From. Him. " The men's grip on him tightened and Youngjae winced. He would have more bruises to display now, adding on to the collection given by his own father. " And why should we? We saw him first. What we want to do with him is none of your business." One of the drunk man hissed at the stranger. " You won't want to mess with me. Just do what I say ." 
 
One of the drunk man sneered at the shadowy figure. " It doesn't mean you acting shadowy and fierce as will be able to scare us off. Scram ! It's none of your business here ." He said as he wrapped one of his arm around Youngjae's neck. " Am I right, cat boy? " The feeling of the men's hand tightening around his throat made Youngjae whimper in fright. That seemed to break the last straw for the  intruder. 
 
Everything was a blur, as if the world was in slow-motion. Youngjae's breath hitched in his throat as the hand coiled around his neck disappeared. Regaining his senses, Youngjae looked around only to see the two drunk men on the floor, clutching their arm and groaning in pain. Just then, a warm hand was placed on his shoulder. Youngjae jumped. " Hey, I didn't mean to scare you.." There was a slight chortle in the man's voice as he saw Youngjae automatically jump at the skinship. Stammering, Youngjae could only  let out a jumble of words as thanks before rushing off. " Th..Thanks ! " Youngjae's feet carried him as fast as he could back home.
 
The alley was soon dead silent. The man laughed. That kid sure was cute. Jaebum turned back down the alley and turned back home, cracking his knuckles as he strolled home.
 
~
 
Placing the key in the keyhole, Youngjae felt reluctant to open it, his six sense telling him to run. Confused as to why there was something nagging at him to run away, he did the opposite, and curiously walked in, only to find his dad and four other men in suits on the couch. His tail wrapped around his leg defensively. Just after that terrifying ordeal, he did not want to encounter another one. "Dad, why are these men here? " He asked, arching his eyebrow in suspicion. " Oh Youngjae! You're home! Come, we need to tell you something ." Slowly, he clutched his bag to his chest as he sat some distance away from his dad. 
 
" Well, Youngjae-ah, the thing is, since that thing is due in 2 weeks, as your dad, I'm afraid you won't be able to find a suitable owner and worse , executed. " His dad started, his eyes staring into Youngjae's. " And..? " Youngjae asked, anxiety creeping up. " So, in order to help you, and to make some money for myself, I've sold you to the auction house. " His dad finished, munching on a piece of biscuit, as if he hadn't said such a thing. Youngjae froze on the spot. What? " You? Sold me ? To .. To the auction house? " He could only stammer, his ears twitching. Crap. His pulse hammered in his ears, as the reality dawned upon him. The auction house was where hybrids  of different species and sorts were auctioned off there, particularly to young heirs and rich people. Rumour has it that those sold to the auction house were often or abused by their owners who bid them. Youngjae's blood ran cold. " No.. NO! I will not allow it ! You are my father, you shouldn't be doing this to me." He shouted at his dad, tears starting to brink at the corners. Without hearing for a reply, Youngjae got up, turned and headed to his room. Halfway up the staircase, he heard his father call out for him. "Youngjae-ah. It's for your own good. Besides, what a better way to get rid of you. Am I right?" Before Youngjae could process what he said, something hard hit him at the back of the head, as a cloth was placed on his face. 
 
Screaming and kicking wildly, Youngjae held his breath as he tried to get away from the four men who had tried to attack him. Unfortunately, they were too strong. Youngjae had no choice but to breathe in the chloroform, and he slowly sank into unconsciousness. Please... Don't... I don't want to go to the auction house..
 
[Edited : 26.10.15]