Doubts

Story of Us

Your POV

Today was the day of VDD and my dad was also leaving for Beijing this evening. Our school gave us the day off to prepare for VDD and Xinyi came over to get ready with me. She came at around 11am and we stayed in my room using our phones and taking selcas until 2pm when I said, “I haven’t decided what to wear to VDD yet.” After hearing what I said, she stood up and said, “You are out of your mind, it’s in 6 hours and you still don’t have anything to wear. Hurry up, take out all the dresses you have in your closet, we’ll find something.” So we started looking for anything that would be appropriate for a Valentine dinner.

Everyone who knows me knows that I don’t wear dresses or skirts. I’m a sweatpants and shorts type of girl which made it super difficult to find something to wear for tonight’s VDD. “I give up, my dresses are all too small or too casual for the event, I’m just going to wear sweats to the dinner,” I said as I lay face down on my bed. “Don’t be ridiculous…actually your mum’s height isn’t far from yours. Does she still have dresses left here?” Xinyi asked. And I sat up from my position, it was the best idea I ever heard. Why didn’t I think of that? “Gosh Xinyi, you’re so smart,” I said and ran up to the store room where my mum’s clothing were kept. “Thanks, I know. I’m a genius,” Xinyi replied after entering the store room with me. I dug through a huge cardboard box, my mum is similar to me but she buys dresses just in case there were any special occasions.

After 20 minutes of searching for a dress that I liked, I decided on a semi white dress with crystal patterns in the front. It was honestly beautiful, I never knew my mum had such great taste. After choosing, we went back into my room with the dress and I ironed it. After another hour or so, we started doing our hair. I straightened my hair and ensured that it looked neat, Xinyi let her hair down, and she had naturally brown hair which looks great no matter what she does with it. Why wasn’t I born with good hair? We did our make-up, well at least I tried to. I never really used make up at all and if I do, my mum applies it for me. I was clueless about make up and just tried to do whatever I could to make me face better looking. I took this pencil like stick with a glossy brush and was going to apply it on my eyebrows when Xinyi suddenly said, “Xuan, what are you doing?” I looked at her and replied, “I’m trying to draw my brows, why?” I asked. She looked at me with the look that says “You’re an idiot.” “The eyebrow pencil is with me, THAT’S AN EYELINER. If I didn’t stop you in time your eyebrows will look like they were drawn on with a sharpie,” she said and snatched the eyeliner away from me and placed the eyebrow pencil in my hand. After that hectic process of trying to figure what make up product is for which part of my face, we got hungry so we went downstairs to make us some snacks. I made us nachos and we watched a few videos on Xinyi’s phone before my dad came out of his room. All ready to leave the house, “Darling, I’ll be leaving soon. Please take care of yourself while I’m away and please do stay safe. I don’t know when your mum will be coming over but I’ll be gone for a month or so.” He said as he put on his shoes. I went over and gave him a hug as he kissed my cheek, I waved him one last goodbye as the taxi drove off. I went back inside to finish getting ready.

It was already 7pm by the time Xinyi and I were done with everything. Now all we have to do is wait for Jisoo and Wonwoo to pick us up. “So, are you excited?” Xinyi asked and I just simply nodded my head. I was actually quite nervous, I was going with Jeon Wonwoo, someone I’ve been liking for almost a year now. It’s crazy how we’re even going to VDD together, a dinner for couples. Xinyi was starting to take selcas and I joined in because, come on I will never look this good ever again.

After 15 minutes, the door bell rang. My entire body froze, I had butterflies in my stomach and Xinyi has already opened the door. Jisoo hugged her and came in, next was Mingyu and his date then Wonwoo. I finally stood up to greet them and when I saw Wonwoo, I stopped breathing for a while. He was gorgeous and when he smiled my heart raced, he was so handsome and he was my date. For one night, just tonight and that was enough for me. I could not be any happier, Xinyi and Jisoo were complimenting each other and Jisoo kissed her forehead before they sat on my sofa. Wonwoo came over to me and stopped only centimetres away from me. “Wow y-you look beautiful,” he said and smiled as he looked down at the floor. “You look great, do you want to sit down?” I asked and he nodded. I led him to the sofa where the other 4 were sitting. After we sat down, Mingyu spoke, “Guys, meet Hayley. She’s my… girlfriend,” he said and looked at her. I was just shocked, I knew Mingyu liked her but damn this escalated quickly. We all introduced ourselves and she was a lovely girl. She’s really cheerful and she matches really well with Mingyu. She’s tall, pretty and easy going, everything Mingyu wanted in a girl. They’re really cute together, they were made for each other.

Soon it was time to go to the dance, we all got into the seven seater car that Mingyu’s driver was waiting for us in. We got in, greeted him and we were off. The trip there felt different since we were all dressed so formally but we acted the same. We talked about everything and anything until we arrived. The guys got down first and they planned to open the doors for their dates to look like a gentlemen. Mingyu got Hayley out first then Xinyi and I was last, a hand lightly held mine when I was stepping out of the car. The hand belonged to Wonwoo and when I got down, I took a look around, we were at the entrance of a hotel. It was all grand and decorated beautifully for the Valentine’s Day Dinner. “Wow, its beautiful.” I said and Wonwoo hummed as a reply, then he interlocked our hands together and said, “Let’s go in then, it’s going to start soon.” I nodded my head and walked in with him, my heart was beating so quickly just because we were holding hands. The rest were in front of us and Soonyoung and Jihoon had joined us. We were in the ballroom and music was blasting from the speakers, the atmosphere was good and we were all so amazed. “Let’s go take a seat and get some food!” Soonyoung shouted so that we could hear him over the loud music. We found an empty table and settled down, I was about to get my food when Wonwoo asked what I wanted to eat and that he would get it for me. I just told him to get me a salad, with mayo as dressing, he nodded before rushing off to get our food. Mingyu was sitting beside me with Hayley, they were sitting really close to each other, whispering to each other and constantly looking into each other’s eyes. It was a beautiful sight and they seem really happy together, I’m glad.

“Here’s your salad, mayo right?” Wonwoo said causing me to lose attention from the cute couple. I muttered a small thank you as he sat down next to me with his chocolate cake. We started eating our food and chatted a little, he was being really open and honest with me. And I liked it. We even talked about his exes and he didn’t even hesitate to tell me about them. “They all ended up being super y and left me for other guys. They say I don’t give them enough attention but I just don’t express my feelings well, you know?” he said eating his last mouth of chocolate cake. I nodded my head, I could tell how emotionally constipated he was. But I believed that after he gets comfortable with someone, he will show his true self. We chatted for a while and there were many jokes exchanged, the night was young and everything was going fine. Hayley and Mingyu were already on the dance floor with Soonyoung dancing their hearts out as Jisoo and Xinyi were eating while exchanging small conversations in between. They were the type of couple that didn’t require much words, they could just stare into each other’s and immediately know how the other one is feeling. They’ve been dating for a really short time but they knew each other so well already. I was secretly jealous of the couples around me but they were my friends and I was happy for them too.

I got a little thirsty so I decided to go get a drink. “Wonwoo, do you want to get anyone to drink?” I asked him before I went to take my drink. “Yeah, I’ll take whatever you’re taking,” he said and smiled at me before he turned and started talking to Jihoon. I walked to the drinks section, I decided on fruit punch as it was the easiest choice. While filling the cups, someone in a bright red dress suddenly stood beside me. At first I thought she was just for her turn to get the fruit punch but she wouldn’t stop staring at me. It was as if she was burning a hole in my head. After filling up my second cup, I was about to walk away when she suddenly said, “You’re Jeon Wonwoo’s date, right?” I stopped moving and turned around to look at her, now I remember, she’s Wonwoo ex-girlfriend we were just talking about her. “Yes, can I help you?” I asked. She smirked, I could sense that she was up to no good. “Well, you and I know Wonwoo doesn’t really like you. He’s just going to use you for your body then throw you away. You have no idea how many girls’ heart his broken yet all he wanted was . There was no feelings involved for him,” she said. I felt so confused, why is she telling me all this? Wonwoo isn’t like that anymore, is he? My questioning look made her continue, “All I’m trying to say is, his going to break your heart like how he did with all the other girls. It’s all just a game to him, don’t fall too hard for him. I don’t want you to get hurt,” she said and walked away with her drink. I don’t believe her, Wonwoo isn’t like that anymore. Plus, we’ve been friends for so long, if he really did want me for my body, he would have done it already. But, what if I wanted to be hurt? What if I wanted to fall for him? She doesn’t have the right to tell me what to do and this shouldn’t be bothering me so much but I can’t help it.

I brought the drinks back to the table and when Wonwoo saw me, he smiled then asked, “What took you so long? I got worried, I wanted to go look for you.” I just told him the queue was long and continued drinking my fruit punch. Whatever Wonwoo’s ex said really shouldn’t be bothering me, we weren’t even dating. It was only for tonight but why am I so affected by it? I guess I zoned out for too long, “Xuan, are you okay?” someone asked snapping me out of my thoughts. It was Mingyu, I forced a smile and nodded my head. “You’re one of my best friends, I can read you like an open book… What’s wrong, talk to me,” he said. His Mingyu, I can’t keep anything from him. His right, he reads me like an open book, there is nothing he doesn’t know about me but I really didn’t feel like talking about. “Go accompany Hayley, I don’t want her to think that we have something on or anything,” I said trying to misdirect him. “Nah, she knows we’re close. Plus she wanted to hang out with her friends for a bit. Stop trying to run from the situation, talk to me.” I failed.

We walked out of the ballroom to just get away from the booming music and have some quietness for a bit. “Mingyu…I’m going to ask you something and you have to tell me honestly okay?” I started out. Mingyu nodded, so I continued, “Do you think Wonwoo really likes me? Like…do you think his really serious about this, us? I know we’re not together or anything but-” I got cut off by Mingyu. “He likes you, I’m sure of it. It’s different, the way he looks at you but it only started recently. I don’t know when he started liking you but I can tell. He likes you, it’s been a while since I saw him like that.” He replied. We stayed quiet for a while, I didn’t know what else to say and I didn’t know if I should tell Mingyu what happened earlier. “Why are you asking about this so suddenly? Did something happen?” he asked. I hesitated for a bit but I told him, everything. About Wonwoo’s ex, my doubts, everything. “And now I’m just so confused and I needed to know if Wonwoo really changed. I need to know if what he said and did was because he liked me. I don’t want to get hurt Mingyu, I’ve been liking him for so long. And now that his getting closer to me, I feel like I’m going to explode because everything he does makes my heart flutter. I’m so afraid of confessing because I don’t want to get hurt. He’s so annoying and confusing sometimes I want to slap him but at other times I just…I don’t know,” I said, I was so ing frustrated I started tearing up. I didn’t know what to do and I honestly just wanted to go home to sleep.

-

Xinyi’s POV

I was playing with the remaining of my meal while waiting for Jisoo to finish his food. “Princess, why are you playing with your food? Are you full already?” he asked. “Yeah, I’m full. I don’t want it anymore.” I said. He asked whether I wanted a drink and I said no. So we started talking about everything like we do every day, I would never get bored of talking to him. “Mingyu looks great with Hayley don’t you think?” I asked him. He hummed in response as we looked at the couple, he suddenly interlocked our hands together and I looked at him with a questioning look. I’m not complaining though, I love it when he holds my hand, it was just so sudden I didn’t know how to react. He simply smiled at me and we continued talking about other things.

After a while, I felt like eating ice cream so Jisoo and I got up and went to the dessert section. We scooped our ice cream ((well, technically Jisoo did everything, I just waited at the side.)) and was about to return to our seat when I saw Xuan talking to a girl dressed in red. By Xuan’s facial expression, I could tell that whatever the girl said wasn’t pleasant. Jisoo called me to get my attention, he asked if something was wrong, I shook my head and went back to my seat. I’d just ask about it later.

Xuan finally came back from the drinks section and she looked a bit bothered. I couldn’t quite grab it but it must be something the girl said to her. “Something’s bothering Xuan. Jisoo, should I talk to her?” I asked Jisoo who was busy eating his ice cream. “Well, I don’t know. Maybe she’s tired, don’t worry too much alright? She’ll be fine. Eat your ice cream princess, it’s going to melt.” He said. I nodded, his right. Maybe she is tired, no. No she’s not, the next time I looked up to see if Xuan was okay, she was walking out with Mingyu. I hope everything’s fine. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING >< i had exams :( 

but i hope you liked this chapter, pls do give me feedback ((: there will be another chapter up really soon!!