Closer

Story of Us

Your POV

High school, the place where everyone starts changing. Children grow to become teenagers, staying out till late at night. Not wanting to go home or to school. And of course, where teens start dating. Believing in love, making out in hall ways of school, melting into the hugs your other half gives, never wanting to leave your boyfriend or girlfriends side. Sounds great right?

Well, I don’t know how true all these are because I have never dated before. Neither have I been asked out and now I’m in my last year of high school. No, I’m not bothered by it at all. Well, at least it never really bothered me before, until recently.

2 weeks ago

“Guess what?” my best friend, Xinyi asked me as soon as I sat beside her in class. I took out my notes for class as I replied her a “what” she waited for me to give her my full attention before she continued talking. “So, you know how I had this crush over Jisoo for months now. And since the Valentine’s Day School Dinner is coming up… he surprisingly asked me to go with him!!” she said as she started spazzing and hitting me out of excitement. I look at her with wide eyes and started squealing because gosh she won’t stop talking about him. I’m so happy for her, I ship them together so much, they make a really cute pair and Jisoo’s a good guy so my best friend’s in good hands. “So, what about Wonwoo?” she asked after we were done squealing. My expression fell, I had a crush on Wonwoo for close to a year now but like the coward I am, I haven’t told him. We’re like friends, not close but friends. I shook my head and Xinyi sighed, “When are you ever going to tell him? We’re going to graduate soon. If not now, when?” she had a point but no. Not anytime soon, he just doesn’t me like that. I know it. He’s quite the player and having a crush on him felt really wrong but I can’t help it. His … perfect.

Back to present

The Valentine Day Dinner is in two days and I still don’t have a date. Which is totally fine, I don’t plan on going anyways. Jisoo and Xinyi have been hanging out a lot lately, no, let’s call it dating. They’re really cute together, Jisoo’s such a gentlemen. He treats Xinyi like a princess and makes Xinyi shy and blush a lot, it’s a rare sight to see her like that. School just ended and as usual Jisoo was waiting out our class for Xinyi, she said bye to me and rushed out. Jisoo took her bag for her and gave her a peck on the cheek. He waved to me and I politely waved back, they then went for their movie date. I guess I’ll be spending yet another day alone, library here I come.

Upon arriving at the library, I grabbed some history books and sat at a corner. I took out my note pad, ear piece, ipod and started studying for my history test. The library was pretty much empty, no one really comes here. I got distracted and started doodling instead of studying, suddenly someone sat beside me. I looked at who the person was and almost got a heart attack. Jeon freaking Wonwoo was sitting beside me in an empty library and we were alone. What is he doing here? Great time to tell him about the huge crush I have on him but no. I just stared. “What are you doing here alone? Where’s Xinyi?” he asked after I took my ear piece. “On a date with Jisoo, again,” I replied simply, he nodded and just sat beside me in silence. It was a little uncomfortable at first but it got more comfortable after a while. It’s always been like that anyways, we usually just sit in silence when we’re alone, unless when the boys are around. They’re a noisy bunch but their fun to be with, Wonwoo talks more around them, I just sit around and listen. “I’m just curious, what are you doing here?” I asked, I didn’t mean to sound rude or anything I was really curious. “The boys are all busy and Mingyu went to the gym, I’m way too lazy for exercising. I’m supposed to study for something but now I don’t feel like studying anymore.” He said. And silence took over again, “You know, we don’t talk much.” He said suddenly, in his oh so deep voice. I nodded not knowing how to reply, “You are pretty talkative around your friends and some of the boys. But we’re always so quiet around each other, do you not like me or something?” he asked. No Jeon Wonwoo, I like you a lot that’s why I get shy and shut up around you. “No, of course not. It’s just…we’re not that close, I guess.” I said looking to the aisles then back to him. He suddenly smiles, that smile that takes my breath away. “I thought you hated me or something, great to know we’re on good terms. Well, why don’t we grab lunch and get to know each other more? My treat.” He said and raised a brow. I hesitated but nodded, I packed my stuff and he did too. We stood up and headed off, I had no idea where we were going but we walked in silence. As usual.

We arrived at BOYS BE, some café two streets away from school. We went in and there were some girls from our school at one table, freshmen. Other than them the café was empty, it was 4pm so it wasn’t crowded. We sat further away from the girls because Wonwoo said he didn’t like how they were staring at us. We settled down and he asked what I wanted. I wasn’t very hungry so I just settled for a cup of mocha, he ordered pancakes. As we waited for our drinks and food to arrive he just stared at me, I rose an eyebrow at him and he just chuckled. “So, tell me more about yourself.” He asked as he leaned back a little. “Well…I’m pretty boring so there’s nothing much to know about” I said and he frowned a little. “There’s many things about you I want to know about, you don’t seem like a boring person. I heard from Mingyu you’re really nice and fun to be around. So just be comfortable around me, I don’t bite.” He said as the waiter came to serve us our coffee and pancakes. We both nodded at the waiter as a thank you, “Well, okay umm… I like summer and volleyball. I’m afraid of a lot of animals especially cats and dogs, they’re really cute but I’m just scared of them. I like staying at home because well, I’m very lazy. I’m always online so…I’m always contactable unless I’m ignoring on purpose,” I said and took a sip of my mocha. I took a look at Wonwoo and he seemed really concentrated and I liked that he was actually listening. “I have a secret to tell you… I’m afraid of dogs too, once my teacher asked the class what animal we would adopt if we were given a chance. I said I’d adopt a plant because their harmless,” he said in a serious tone which made everything funnier. I laughed at him for a while and when I looked at him again, he was pouting I tried so hard not to squeal. I apologised and he smiled, it’s that smile. It drives me crazy. We talked more and his actually really nice, to be very honest I was afraid of him because well when his not smiling he look like he wants to kill someone. But his smile is a different story, he talks a lot and I enjoyed listening to him. He listens well too, however, it was getting late and I had to head home.

We got out of the café, we stayed there for almost 3 hours just talking. But once we got out of the café, things returned to normal, we weren’t talking and we just walked. “How are you going home?” he asked, “Train, you?” I replied. “Same” and we just continued walking to the train station. There’s actually a direct bus there and the stop was just a 3 minute walk from the café but I guess we both like walking? We were 10 minutes away from the train station when he suddenly asked me, “So, whose the lucky guy taking you to the Valentine’s Day Dinner?” I froze, well my mind froze, I didn’t know how to answer. “I-Um no one, I don’t have a d-date and I don’t plan on going tomorrow,” I replied looking anywhere but Wonwoo. “Wait, you mean no one asked you?” he asked sounding surprised, he thinks I’m such a loser now. I just simply nodded, “What about Mingyu? Didn’t he ask you?” I frowned and looked at him upon hearing that, why would Mingyu even ask me? “No…why would he?” I questioned. “Well, you two seemed pretty close so…” he said looking down at his shoes, he must have felt embarrassed for assuming. “But you two are best friends, if he asked me to VDD you would know, wouldn’t you?” I said. He nodded, then I asked out of curiosity, “What about you? Who are you going with?” for all I know, he is single ((finally)) and I don’t think he would go with his ex. “Well some girls asked me but I rejected them,” he said looking me in the eye, I stared back.  The short eye contact we had made we feel tingly inside and I quickly looked away to avoid him seeing me blush. “Oh…why did you reject them though?” I asked, he shrugged “I just didn’t feel like going with any of them,” he said. I nodded but I felt a little happy inside, I had no idea why.

We boarded the train and we sat beside each other, he took his ear piece out and handed the left side to me. I gladly accepted the offer and pushed the little bud into my ear, music started playing. He mostly listened to rap and hiphop songs, some ballads here and there but the songs he listened too were all really good. I was a stop away from my station when he paused his song, I looked at him because of the sudden silence. “I’ve been thinking… do you maybe, want to go to VDD with me?” he asked.