Answer

Story of Us

Your POV

“I’ve been thinking… do you maybe, want to go to VDD with me?” he asked.

I died, I couldn’t breathe and my mind was blank. He stared at me waiting for an answer, his eyes filled with hope. “I- uh” I started out but the train stopped, which means I had to get down. I stood up in a hurry, “I’m so sorry, I have to go,” I said. “It’s okay but… think about it?” he said and smiled, oh how I wish I could take a picture of him smiling so beautifully like that. I nodded and rushed out of the train almost getting crushed by the door. I looked back at Wonwoo and he was waving, what do I do? I rose my hand to wave back but the train started moving and soon it was out of sight. I let out a sigh, I clenched my fist and slapped myself out of frustration. I started jogging home because I was very late, I was supposed to be home an hour ago but I couldn’t get my mind off Wonwoo. Did he really mean it? He wanted to go to VDD with me?

I arrived at my apartment panting, I’m so unfit, I need to start working out. I took my keys and unlocked the door, I entered and kicked my shoes off. “Daddy! I’m home!” I shouted after closing the door. I know his home, his shoes were near the door and his room light was on. I lived with my dad, my parents had a divorce but their on good terms, they just have communication problems. Mum visited often since Dad’s always overseas working, Dad will be home till the night of VDD then he’ll be gone till next month. I’ll have the house to myself, finally.

“Why are you home so late?” he asked coming of his room, “Sorry, I went to eat and loss track of time,” I said. “Oh who did you go with?” should I tell him it was Wonwoo? My dad’s really protective of me though… “It’s not a guy, right?” he prompted, “Huh? No, I went with Xinyi.” I lied, I felt so bad, Xinyi was out on a date with Jisoo. “Really? I thought I saw her walking home… guess I saw the wrong person,” he said. “Hahaha… yeah probably,” I said and escaped to my room.

After washing up and finishing my dinner, I went to my room to continue studying for my history test. However, I found it really hard to concentrate, I couldn’t stop thinking about Wonwoo and how we spent practically the whole afternoon together. It’s crazy, we barely talked to each other and now we might be going to VDD together, that is if I say yes. I slapped myself again to make sure it’s not a dream, obviously any girl would say yes to Jeon Wonwoo immediately but what did I do? I just stared at him and panicked. Great job Xuan, you deserve an award. I’m so messed up and annoyed with myself, whatever I’m going to sleep. Let’s leave these ‘problems’ for tomorrow. 

--

((Next Morning))

My stupid alarm rang and I had to wake up. Ugh, dad’s probably on the way to work already so I could blast my music well I get ready for school. I brushed my teeth, took a quick bath and changed. My hair actually looked fine today and I didn’t even combed it yet, it’s a miracle, it happens like once in 200 years. Thus, I took like 50 selcas despite my tired face. After I was done I went to school, it’s been quite a long time since I let my hair down to school so it feels a little odd. I went straight to class to find Xinyi because I needed to tell her everything and ask for advice.

I went into class and saw her sitting down staring at her phone, I creeped up from behind and saw that she was staring at a picture of her and jisoo. Aww, they looked so happy, these two gives me so much feels. I sat down and she kept her phone quickly, I pretended like I didn’t see anything. “Your hair’s a little different today…” she said, and I shamelessly flipped my hair in her face. “Do that again and you will walk out of school today with no hair,” she said and I raised both my hands up to surrender. She can be really scary at times but she toned it down after dating Jisoo, thank the lord. “Anyways, something weird happened yesterday,” I started, she looked at me with a curious expression and I continued. “You know how you and Jisoo were on a date? So I went to the library again and Wonwoo showed up.” I said. Her eyes went so wide I thought it was going to fall out, so I told her everything. “You will be the dumbest on earth if you say no,” she said, “I know but don’t you find it weird? We barely know each other and he asked me to go to VDD with him?” I asked. She shrugged and said, “Well, you two can get closer through this. And then you can confess to him, he’ll feel the same way then BOOM you two will live happily ever after.” And the teacher walked in, I rolled my eyes because he’s very boring. I sighed and put my head on my table, lunch soon came and I pulled myself out of my seat. Xinyi suddenly hit me really hard on the head, “Ow, what?!” I said then she pointed outside. Jisoo was there waiting for Xinyi and Wonwoo was standing beside him. What was he doing here? I don’t have an answer yet. “Erm, you go ahead. I’m not hungry, I’ll stay in class,” I told Xinyi, she then pushed me out of class with her. She went to greet Jisoo and whispered something to him, they walked away after that.

I just stood in front of Wonwoo and played with my fingers, “Hey,” he said, his voice sounded deeper than yesterday. How is it possible? Why is he so attractive?? “Yah, don’t be nervous, I don’t need an answer so soon, you can even tell me 5 minutes before VDD and I’ll still accept whatever your answer is. I’m here to tell you the boys and I are going over to Mingyu’s later to study and he demanded that you come too. Jisoo and Xinyi are coming too so…” he said. “I don’t have a choice, Mingyu ‘demanded’ didn’t he?” I said and we both laughed. And can I just say, his laughter is the most precious thing on earth. “Your hairstyle looks cute on you, you should do it like that more often. See you later kiddo,” he said and walked away after ruffling my hair. Is he doing this to make me shy on purpose? I almost passed out on the spot, he called me cute. >.<

--

The last bell finally rang, Xinyi and I packed really quickly and rushed out of class. All of us were meeting outside school to go to Mingyu’s together. Xinyi and my lockers were really far from each other’s so we went separate ways. I put everything I didn’t need into my locker and brought my notes so I can study a little later. Every time we plan study dates, we never really study so there wasn’t much to bring. I was rushing to the exit of school when someone swung his arm over my shoulder, scaring me.  Then I heard familiar laughter, Kim Mingyu. Without hesitation I hit him hard on the chest and he pretended it hurt a lot which made me laugh. I was the closest to Mingyu among all the boys, we were like siblings. He understood me the best and it helps that he’s Wonwoo’s best friend their really close too. Mingyu knows about this crush I have on Wonwoo but I guess he didn’t tell Wonwoo. Which was good, plus I trusted Mingyu. “Hey little one,” he said pulling me closer to him, he calls me little one because he’s so tall and I’m really little beside him. “Hi giant, how’s your day?” I asked. He was telling me about how his teacher ripped his pant in class today, it was super funny, I laughed till my stomach hurt. His arm was still around my shoulders which was normal but when we reach the gate, he quickly put his arm down and waved at someone.  It was this really slim and pretty girl from our year, by the way Mingyu reacted I can already tell he has something for her. After she smiled and waved at Mingyu she walked away, “Oooo, giant has a crush,” I teased. He eyed her till she was out of sight, he rolled his eyes at my comment and put his arm around my shoulders again and we met the boys and Xinyi outside.

It was just us again ((Jihoon,Jisoo,Xinyi,Soonyoung,Minghao,Mingyu,Wonwoo and I)), finally. It’s been a while since we hung out like that and we all have other friends of our own but we always have a short meet ups once in a while. We all took the bus to Mingyu’s place, his mum was at home so our lunch was settled. Mingyu’s mum is literally the best, she treats us like her children and her food is honestly the best. The moment we entered his house we all shouted at the same time, “Mummy we’re home!” at first we all did it to tease Mingyu but we got used to it. She already had about 4 dishes placed on the dining table, Minghao and Soonyoung being the good ‘sons’ they were rushed to Mummy Kim to help her bring out the other dishes and set up the table while we placed our bags and files in Mingyu’s room. We settled down and ate, gosh it’s been way too long since I tasted Mummy Kim’s food. It taste like heaven, “Umma, how are you so good at cooking? What’s your secret?” Soonyoung asked. “My secret? It’s love,” she said. We all started chuckling at her answer, we all ate really well but Xinyi was picking at her food. “Baby, do you not like the food?” Jisoo asked her after Mummy Kim left to the grocery store. “No, I just don’t feel that hungry,” she said and continued taking small bites. After we all ate enough, Mingyu and I went to wash the dishes while they rest went to Mingyu’s to start ‘studying’.

Mingyu was washing the dishes as I dried them and place them back on the rack. We were talking about the weirdest things and I suddenly remembered what happened earlier with that girl. “So…giant, who was that girl earlier? You like her don’t you,” I said with a sly smile on my face. He looked down then looked up at me, he was smiling, and then he nodded. “I asked her to VDD,” he said. I hit him with the cloth out of excitement, “She said yes didn’t she?” I asked and Mingyu nodded. I’ve never seen him so shy and quiet before, he’s really loud and shameless but his really nice and fun. He’s a great guy, she’s lucky. After like 5 seconds of being embarrassed, he was back to being himself, he started telling me everything about this girl. So apparently, this girl isn’t from around here, she transferred to our school last year because her dad works here now. She’s half Singaporean half Canadian, her dad is Singaporean so she moved here from Singapore. I heard Singapore is a beautiful place, we should go there together some day. After we were done with the dishes, we went up to join the others. Once we entered, as expected no one was really studying except Jihoon, he was the more serious one among us but he is really fun to be around. Soonyoung, Minghao and Wonwoo were watching dance videos on Mingyu’s bed while cuddling with each other, how cute. Jisoo and Xinyi were sitting on the floor using their phones. We spent another hour just being lazy in his room until Jihoon suggested we watch insidious. My mind went blank, I hate horror moives, I hate them but I still watch them. Well, everyone is a thrill seeker and despite my hatred for horror films, I enjoy watching them but I won’t get to sleep well for the next 2 days or so.

We went to the living room and Mingyu started to set up the TV console as Soonyoung and I made popcorn in the kitchen. We made 3 big bowls of popcorn and damn they taste delicious. Mingyu has a huge L-shaped sofa and a bean bag in his living room, Jihoon would always sit in the bean bag while the rest of us sit on the sofa. I sat at the right side, leaving space at both my left and right because I don’t want to sit alone at a corner. Wonwoo came to sit on my right and I offered him some popcorn which he gladly took. Soonyoung passed the other 2 bowls of popcorn to Jisoo and Jihoon and he came to sit on my left. The movie started, Mingyu sat in between Minghao and Soonyoung. The intro was unnecessary long and creepy, it was in black and white with foggy stuff all over. Then suddenly a really scary silhouette appeared and I kind of stiffened up, when it disappeared someone suddenly screamed causing me to scream too. Stupid Soonyoung, “YAH WOULD YOU STOP I’M ALREADY REALLY SCARED!!!” I shouted at him and slapped his arm, everyone was laughing at me including Wonwoo. Mingyu and Soonyoung were imitating me, I threw a cushion at Mingyu and they stopped laughing after a while.

We were half way into the movie and Jisoo was holding Xinyi’s hand just in case there was a jump scare, he could ‘protect’ her. Xinyi was grabbing onto Jisoo’s hoodie and I found it super cute. Minghao and Mingyu were cuddling ((how gay, jk)) and Soonyoung was about to fall asleep, he already watched the movie maybe that’s why. I was obviously wide awake, I was hugging a cushion and trying to seek protection from it, jihoon was just using his phone, looking up once in a while to watch the movie. Wonwoo was also watching attentively, eating most of the popcorn. We were at the part where the family moved back to their old home and the grandmother saw something standing in his grandson’s room. I murmured a “” because I could sense something was going to pop out sooner or later. I hugged the cushion closer to me as the shadow appeared in the boy’s room, the grandmother continued talking to her son and suddenly this red face demon appeared behind the man and she screamed. I got scared and leaned toward my right, I closed my eyes and squeezed the cushion. I was peeking from the little hole between the cushion and Wonwoo’s arm. More scary happened and I was so close to peeing in my pants, the demon popped up again and I automatically leaned towards Wonwoo because Soonyoung was sleeping and he would hit me if I woke him. After calming down from the scare, I wanted to sit up again when he pulled my head to his shoulder. I obviously froze, so I stayed there, I’m just saying he smells really good. And throughout the movie we stayed like that, when scary parts would come on, I would lean more towards him and he’d pat my head to make me less scared. I could tell he was scared too because when the ghost would appear he’d say stuff like ‘ that was scary’ or ‘woah that scared me’. When the movie ended Soonyoung was still fast asleep and so was Jihoon. Minghao stood up right after the movie to go to the bathroom and I stared at Mingyu, still laying on Wonwoo’s shoulder. He rose an eyebrow at me then smirked, I sat up and hit him with the cushion that I was hugging and he laughed. I got up and went up to Mingyu’s room because I felt really shy but honestly, the feeling of leaning on Wonwoo is so nice. It’s really warm and cozy, I feel so comfortable being so close to him. Like I was meant to be there, gosh what am I saying, I need to snap out of it.

Suddenly the door opened and Soonyoung came in lazily and laid on the bed, his head was on my lap. “Yah, Soonyoung, what are you doing?” I asked patting his head. “I’m trying to sleep,” he said, “Get off me, your head is really heavy,” I said and pushed his head off my lap. He sat up and rubbed his eyes cutely, whining a little, “Just let me sleep for 5 more minutes, please,” he said. “Okay, but not on my lap,” I said and he crawled to the left side of the bed and plopped himself down. I took my phone out and went onto twitter. After a few minutes, Mingyu came in, “My mum bought home chicken, do you guys want some?” he asked. Upon hearing the word chicken, Soonyoung woke up and dash out of the room. I laughed at his reaction and I shook my head indicating that I wasn’t hungry. Mingyu sat on the bed with me and he just stared at me, I looked at him with a questioning look. “Wonwoo asked you to VDD right?” he asked, my expression fell, “Um, y-yeah,” I replied. “So? Go for it,” he said. “Huh?” I asked. “Look, I know how long you’ve like that idiot for. I’ll be honest, he’s really stupid but he likes you. He just doesn’t know it. I’m his best friend, I would know. He wouldn’t ask any girl out like that,” he said and gave my hand a squeeze. Then he walked out.

I already knew my answer from the start. It was obvious but I didn’t know how to tell him and I haven’t decided what to wear and all that. His was just downstairs, but I couldn’t tell him face to face. So, I texted him.

Me: I would love to go to VDD with you. J

When I sent it something in the room vibrated, so his phone was in the room. Good so he’ll see it later. After about another hour, we decided to go home. I took the bus home and Wonwoo took the train with Jisoo and Soonyoung.

I was at home after showering when my phone vibrated.

Wonwoo: Perfect, I’ll pick you up at 7.30pm tomorrow ;)