Track 9: I Like This Song (by Lyn)

Love Playlist

September 27, 2014

It's a rainy day. Even at this hour, it is still raining. But I don't care about the weather. What is important for me right now is that Hyuna and I are now talking. We can now talk about personal matters after what happened a few days ago. When she told me what happened to her, I felt that she gave me a chance to see who she is right now. She has opened up, and I take that as a good sign. It is also a step for me to get closer to her again. I won't rush this time. I will take it easy. After all, if you take your time, you'll see more than those who rush. 

I'm in a good mood the whole day. Though it was already raining when I woke up, the fact that Hyuna is slowly coming back made me happy. I went to school this morning because the director has asked us to meet at 9 am. When everyone arrived, he gave us a copy of the songs composed by my ex fiancée. There are three songs. The director told us that the auditions for the characters of the story he has written will be held on Friday next week. He told us to choose one from the three songs. He said that my ex fiancée did not gave a guide for us, and he said that he himself did not play the song yet. He wanted us to sing the songs in our own way. I don't know what he's after but I am confident that Hyuna will get the lead character. I have to do good to get a good character. 

After the meeting I asked Hyuna if she wants to practice together, but she said that she has an appointment with her brother today. Hyuna's brother is a lawyer. He is strict. He is the one taking care of Hyuna at the moment, but taking care only means giving her allowance and paying her living expenses. He does not look after her. He just meets her once in a while. And today is one of those rare days. I told Hyuna that I'll just see her tomorrow. We plan to go to the beach tomorrow because that is one of the things she asked me when I told her to tell me 3 wishes she wants me to grant her.

After Hyuna left, I started walking. Then the rain started pouring. I saw someone with an umbrella and ran towards that person. The owner of umbrella is a girl wearing a P.E. uniform. She must be a freshman. I was about to talk to her but suddenly she started talking.

"Hey, can you find another person whom you can share an umbrella with?" I thought she was talking to me but she was facing on the left, I was on her right side. I tried to look if there's someone on her left. The girl is almost as tall as me so I wasn't able to have a good glimpse of who is on the other side. "Can you hear me?" She asked.

"What? Sorry?" The other person said.

"Can't you see, the man on my left is already getting wet! He approached me first so leave!" She commanded. I was about to suggest that I can just run but she faced me and said, "Don't worry, you can share this umbrella with me." I don't know why she acted that way but it was rude since other person also needs an umbrella. Again, I was not able to talk because she faced the other person again and tried to push her away. At that time I had a glimpse of it was. It's my ex fiancée. She has earphones on her ear, that’s why she can't hear what the girl is saying. And because of that, the girl is angrier. I don't know if she saw me. When the girl pushed her, she took a deep breath and then run. The girl who owns the umbrella was so rude. I got irritated so I removed my jacket used it as cover and ran towards my ex fiancée. When I caught up to her, I told her that she can share the jacket with me. She did, because she did not have any choice, anyway. She told me that she's going to the cafe. It's just a few meters away, and I thought that it would be the best place to go to while it is raining.

When we reached the cafe, it was locked.

"It's locked." I told her. 

"Don't worry, I have a spare key here." She brought out the key and opened the cafe. She opened the lights when she entered. She immediately went to the locker room. When we comeback she already changed her clothes and she brought me a towel, shorts, and a t-shirt. She told me that I can change at the locker room. After I got changed, she offered me a cup of black coffee. We did not talk for a few minutes. Then suddenly she broke the silence.

"Thank you." She said.

"It's nothing. The girl was rude." I told her. At that moment, I asked myself why I did what I did. I should have left her and went home, but here I am drinking some coffee with her. "Why is the cafe closed?"

"It's the death anniversary of the owner's wife. Manager decided to visit grandpa."

She did not talk after that. I opened by bag, get my phone to see if there's a message from Hyuna. There's nothing. When I was about to close my bag, I saw the copy of songs. Since I was with the one who wrote the songs, I thought of asking her how to sing them.

"Can I ask you a favor?" I asked her. She was shocked.

"Sure. Anything. Since you helped me not only today but also when you cooked for me." I brought out the copy. I handed it to her. She looked surprised when she saw what was in the copy.

"What do you want me to do with these?" She asked me. I told her about the director's directions. She wasn't surprised at all.

"Same old style, huh?" I asked her what she meant by that. "Well, oppa usually asked actors to sing newly composed song to hear their own versions. The person with the best version, which usually is the version that can move someone, will get the lead role." She explained.

"So, how can you sing your songs? I mean how can you sing it in a way that can move anyone?" She smiled.

"Well, I don't know either for I am not a singer, and a genius like oppa." She paused. "However, I think you can move someone by conveying your emotions though the song." I just looked at her. I don't get what she meant. We're not only talking about talent anymore, we're also talking about emotions. It is hard for me to convey how I feel. "Ok. For example, in Things I Like to Do with My Lover, think of the things you did with the girl you love the most. Think of those times. Then convey to your listeners how you felt during those times through the song. For Blind, you have to convey an emotion that you felt when you broke up or get separated from the one you love. And for the last song, Will You Be Alright, think of the times when you look at the one you love from afar. It's like, how are you going to feel when the day comes that you have to let go of her, she told you that it is fine but you know deep inside she will not." Her explanation is good. I'm just wondering where she got the inspiration in writing these songs. Did she experience them? Or did she make them based on what she saw around her?

After her explanation, she told me to pick one song. I picked the first song. She gave me time to think of the happy memories I had with a girl. I thought of Hyuna. I thought of the days we were together in Senior high. I thought of the days when we go on dates and watch fireworks together. I thought of the days when we walked on the streets during spring when the cherry blossoms are in full bloom. I felt happy. Everything came back and the happiness of yesterday started to come back. After that, she asked me if I can play the piano. I said yes. She then told me to play the piano. Then she suddenly started singing. Since the song is a duet, I sang the male part.

I never thought that she can sing that well. Though she wasn't able to hit some high notes, she's good for someone who is not a music major. She looks happy while singing. Actually she's enjoying the song. She looks like as if she's dreaming while we're singing. I am sure she was thinking of someone while she's singing. I did think of someone too. It's Hyuna. Remembering what we used to do while singing made me happy. When we finished singing, it felt good. It made my day better. 

"See." She said smiling.

"What?" I asked her even if I know what she's talking about.

"You can bring out the best in a song if you use your emotions to convey the story of the song or if you use the song to convey your emotions." 

She told me to try singing the other songs but I can't because I was too happy. I decided that the first song will be my audition piece. I decided to ask Hyuna to sing it with me. 

When the rain stopped, I told her that I'm going home. 

While I'm on my way home, Hyuna called me. She wanted me to go to her house. I went there and we decided to sing Things I Like to Do With My Lover for our audition, so we practiced.

Today is indeed a good day. I am one step closer to Hyuna.

-Hyunseung