Track 4: Finding Myself (by Seo In Guk)

Love Playlist

September 3, 2014

The universe is bullying me this time. First I saw Hyuseung, and I learned he's studying in school. There's 1 in a million chance for him to come here and study in school, and come on, out of all the people in this world, he's in love with Hyuna. I don't know what to feel. Bea told me that she overheard what Hyunseung and his cousin were talking about last Monday night before I arrived at the restaurant. I know I don't have the right to judge Hyuna but their love story is a mystery to me. Hyunseung seems to be a refined man. I heard from my father's business partners that he is hard working, intelligent, and kinda strict. I heard before that he's studying Law for his undergrad but now he's studying theater arts. Hyuna on the other hand is a girl with a very bad reputation in school. She's known as the queen bee, and the playgirl. Her style is kinda goth but she's good in singing and acting. How can a refined man, someone whose character is suitable for a strict guidance counselor is in love with a girl who seems to be a law breaker. Now wait. Why am I even judging now? I should stop this. Maybe I'm thinking like this because I kinda regret letting him go? But no. I can't regret now. I ran away for his sake and my sake. I don't want to end up crying every night because he doesn't love me. I should just let him do what he wants for I have cut my ties with him the moment I did not attend the wedding.

-----------------

Yesterday, I do not have class but I ended up waking up early because of the noise coming from the other room in our floor. I really got irritated so I decided to look what's happening. Yoseob, my neighbor for almost a year now, is also disturbed by the noise. When I opened the door, I saw him in front of his room, wearing his pajama and sipping his coffee. 

"Yoseob, what's happening here?" I asked him.

"Well, I heard from the landlady that we'll have a new neighbor." 

"Really? Then what's will all the noise? Can they just transfer their things? The room is fully furnished anyway."

"I heard the new tenant is kinda picky and artsy." He sipped from his mug. 

"Fine! I just hope there will be no noise when I get back this afternoon."

"Hope so." He said.

"Bye, gotta prepare for work." I told him. I went back to my room and prepare for work. 

It's only 7:00. My work starts at 8:00. My manager at L'aime cafe was really amazed that I'm early. While waiting for the opening time, I helped her prepare the cafe. 

8:00. Time to work! Our first customer is my professor. He's already a doctor but he's teaching in our school. He always eat his breakfast in the cafe just right after his duty. The next customers we had are interns from our school's hospital. Maybe they had their graveyard shift the other night. The next one who entered the cafe is Bea.

"Unnie! Unnie!" She shouted as soon as she saw me.

"Why Bea? It's early in the morning. You're not even wearing your jogging attire, why do you look like as if you just jogged from your house to here?"

"I did not jog ok. I immediately came here to find you to tell you something important." She is obviously out of breath.

"Wait, okay. Sit down. I'll get you something to drink. Please do calm down. Ok?" She nodded, then sat down. I got her a cup of green tea, after all Bea loves eastern culture. 

"So, what were you talking about just a while ago?"

"Unnie, uncle has disowned you! I met Doojoon oppa this morning, and he's looking for you. He told me that Uncle got really tired of waiting for you to go back, and since your company has been greatly affected by what you did, Uncle decided to disown you."

My. Dad. Disowned. Me. I really don't know how to feel about this one. I am happy to have my freedom but it is sad that the closest family I have just cut our connection. 5 years ago, I lost my mom, now I lost my dad. I am not Yoon Sohee anymore. I am just Sohee. Someone who does not have a family. I don't know who am I now. Yes, I am a student, a barista, a friend, but deep within me, who am I? 

"Unnie." Bea said. Her voice is full of concern. I smiled at her.

"Don't worry about me Bea. Running away from the wedding was my decision and dad disowning me is only a consequence. I must face it and accept it." I assured her that I will be fine or else she'll cry for the next 24 hours. I stood up, told her I need to work and left her. 

--------------------------------

At 6:00 pm the manager and I prepared to close the cafe. On weekdays, except for friday, the cafe closes at 6:15 pm. The only customer left was a man drinking dark coffee. Weird. Drinking coffee at 6 pm. It's only the first week of school. Students usually drink coffee at night during exam weeks. The manager told me to tell the only customer that we’ll be closing soon. I went to him and what a surprise, it's Hyuneung.

"Excuse me." He looked at me. Expressionless. "We're about to close, so I'm asking you to finish your drink immediately." He nodded. No expression, no words. I left him. After a minute, he's done drinking and left.

After that we clean up and closed the cafe. While I was walking home, I saw Hyunseung coming out from the convenient store near my condo. I think he did not see me. So I did not say anything to him. I just continue walking. I saw a big truck in front of our building. The new tenant was not yet done unloading his/her things. Oh well, at that time I hoped it's not noisy anymore. I went inside. While waiting for the elevator, someone came into the building and stood beside me. With my peripheral vision, I saw that it's a guy. He's kinda tall. Has fair skin. He's familiar, I thought. When the elevator opened, we both entered at the same time. When I was about to push the 9 button, the guy pushed it before I did. Wow we're on the same floor. I thought it was the new tenant. I did not look at him because I was afraid that he'd notice that I'm staring at him or whatever. When we reached the 9th floor, I went out first. I saw Yoseob standing in front of his room again.

"Oh, so you two are getting along already!" He exclaimed. I raised an eyebrow.

"What are you talking a-" before I finished what I'm saying, the new tenant spoke.

"We just rode the elevator at the same time." What a cold voice. Though it's familiar.

"Bro! Nice to see you again Hyunseung!" Yoseob said happily. I was really shocked that I froze. I took a deep breath and slowly turn around to make sure that Yoseob is not making fun of me. But, Yoseob doesn’t know that I am Hyunsueng’s ex fiancee. Or does he? OMG!

It was really Hyunsueng. Due to too much shock, I froze staring at him. When they finished talking they both faced me. 

"Hey Sohee, what happened?" Yoseob asked. I did not answer him.

Hyunsueng smiled. "We meet again" He said. Then he walked to him room.

-Sohee.