Chapter 9/33

Perplexed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

New A/N: Triple update incoming, because....why not? Also, it's a Wednesday and nobody likes Wednesdays...well, I don't...when I'm working at least. ... I'll stop rambling now...enjoy.

 

A/N: Here it is, sorry for the long wait but I really wanted to get this chapter right. It was a delicate situation that I left things in last time so I had to decide to make it go BOOM or to let it settle... anyway, you will see which I chose.

Enjoy.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

“I’m going crazy Jjong, what am I going to do?” Kibum asked his best friend with an exasperated sigh as he sat down on his bed with a thump.

Kibum had just finished telling Jonghyun about everything that happened at the party and afterward. This had come about because the older boy insisted that something was wrong with Key and he wanted to know what it was. He had noticed the sad glances that the younger boy would give as Jinki grasped his hand and pulled him along somewhere. He saw the faint smile that would grace the taller boy’s features as Jinki unknowingly touched his face to move Key’s hair. He also noticed the pain in Kibum’s voice when Onew would grab him by the shoulders and start up a conversation. Something was clearly wrong with Key these days and even Taemin and Minho had noticed. The only one who remained seemingly oblivious was Onew himself, the older boy just acted like nothing had changed and Jonghyun had to wonder if he was putting up an act or if Jinki really was that clueless. 

“I don’t know what to say Bummie, it’s a tough situation but I DO know that sitting back and carrying on this terrible charade isn’t an option. What happened to the feisty, attack and grab what you want Kibum?” Jonghyun asked.

“I can’t just go in there on attack mode, it’s a delicate situation and I don’t want to push Onew into something that he isn’t sure of.” Key said, genuinely worried about the older boy.

“C’mon Key, I’m not saying to jump his bones, I am merely suggesting that you tell him how you feel and let him know you won’t back down. Simply give him a few nudges and see where he ends up is all I’m suggesting.” Jonghyun said with an all too innocent shrug of the shoulders which didn’t really match the glint in his eyes. The older boy saw his best friend’s face pull into an ugly frown and before he could voice his concerns Jonghyun spoke up again.

“Do you remember when you were in denial about your uality? You needed to talk to someone but you also needed to experiment to figure out if that was what you really wanted. I just think giving his feelings or emotions a nudge in your direction could help him to decide once and for all.” Jonghyun responded with a look of finality on his face.

Key sighed because as much as he felt like it wasn’t his place to interrupt, he agreed with his best friend. What Jonghyun said made sense, if he had a gay friend at the time who was attracted to him, it would have helped him to realise his feelings so much faster and spared him some embarrassing situations and some heartbreak. 

After a few moments, Kibum lowered his head from staring at the ceiling – something he does a lot when he needs time to think – and faced Jonghyun with a determined look on his face.

“I’m almighty Key, there is no way I’m backing down from this one. I think I should continue my original plan to win Jinki over, only this time, it’s not only ual.” Kibum announced with triumph and the drama that only a true stage performer could have. Jonghyun just laughed at his friend as Kibum began his ‘big scheme’ or so he called it, the older boy found himself wondering why he even hung out with this crazy guy.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

The next day, Key found Onew sitting on the picnic benches in the quad area. The weather was still blustery and cold but it seemed like Jinki was a snowman and immune to the cold as he sat in his usual attire, the only addition to his outfit being a thin scarf around his neck.

“Hey” Kibum said as he slowly jogged towards the older boy.

“Hi Key, what’s up?” Jinki asked, glancing up before letting his eyes re-attach to his history textbook.

“Aren’t you cold studying out here?” Kibum frowned as the wind blew harder and began to chill right through to his bones.

“Not really, I don’t get cold easily.” With that, Onew glanced up with his cute eye smile that made Key almost melt into the grass.

“Oh, well … anyway, I was wondering if you could help me out? I am falling behind in my business class and since you are a year ahead of me, I was wondering if maybe … if you have time … could you like … tutor me or something?” Kibum asked, he started off confidently but he became embarrassed after admitting that he wasn’t as smart as the older boy.

“Of course I will, seriously Key, any time you want. When are you free?” Onew asked with his genuine smile again.

They both compared schedules and made a time when they were both free each week. They decided that the evening after school on a Thursday was better since Key didn’t have rehearsals that day.

“Okay so it’s sorted, where do you want to meet? A cafe, library...?” The older boy trailed off.
“My house – I mean, it’s just that you already know where it is and it’s not far for you to travel back home. Besides there is lots of space and it will be quiet.” Key said, adding the explanation as herealised how quickly he had answered Jinki’s question. 

Jinki chuckled a little at Key’s nervous rambling and nodded his head. The younger boy must have been a little embarrassed to ask him for help.

“Sure, sounds good. Well, I’d better get to class. I’ll see you at lunch?” Jinki asked with a raised brow as Key just nodded and smiled with a small “bye.” 

As Jinki walked away the younger boy let out a breath he didn’t realise he was holding before he smiled with a wide grin. Thursday couldn’t come quick enough.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

It really didn’t either, it felt like two whole weeks instead of just three days. Key cursed the universe because when he has a test or something he doesn’t want to do, then the day will pop up so quickly. When he was waiting for the day to arrive however, every day leading up to it would feel like triple the length. 

Either way, Key was in high spirits as the evening drew near. He spent all lunch time just staring at Jinki across the table as he talked with Minho. He couldn’t help but feel like a teenage girl in some sappy love story but he didn’t really care. Ever since that party, Taemin and Minho had gotten closer and Jonghyun and Jinki seemed to get along better now too so they often ate lunch together when they were all free.

Kibum now walked side by side with Jinki in the direction of his house.

“I’m just curious, why don’t you drive?” Jinki asked Kibum.

“I never took driving lessons when I was younger and now I guess I just don’t see the need. My parents have a car and a driver especially for me when I need it but I don’t use it, I prefer to take the bus.” Key answered with a small quirk of his lips.

“What about you?, I’ve never seen you drive before.” Kibum responded.

“Well... this is pretty embarrassing but, I passed my theory test first time every time, my instructor told me I was a really good driver but … when it comes to the practical test, I just become so nervous that my legs turn to jelly and I feel dizzy and you can imagine that driving a car under those circumstances are hard.” Jinki said with a small meek chuckle.

“Did you try using those pills that help you relax when you’re nervous? Or drinking some calming tea?” the younger boy asked, now feeling curious.

“Yeah, I tried everything that both me and my instructor could think of but nothing worked. I guess it’s like when you have a phobia of something, nothing is able to calm you down if you are just completely afraid of it.” Jinki said with defeat and a loud sigh.

“How many times did you take the test?” Key wondered.

“Five times, and each time, I failed the practical exam.” Jinki said and looked at the floor, his face heating up in embarrassment.

“Well, at least you tried your best.” Key grinned “Besides, it’s kind of nice to know that Lee Jinki isn’t good at everything.” Key added with a playful smile as the older boy just shook his head and hit Kibum softly on the shoulder.

They reached Key’s house and immediately went up to his room. Jinki was still in awe of his surroundings but it seemed to be a little less daunting now, since he had already seen it once before. Onew walked over to the large mahogany desk at the far corner of Key’s bedroom – which was the same size as both his and his parent’s rooms put together, he noticed – and began to place his books on top of it.

“Actually, can we study on the bed? I work better when I’m more comfortable and I’ve been sat at desks nearly all day today. Even in my drama class, we had a theory lesson.” Kibum asked with a grunt as he remembered the torture of essay planning and referencing for various directors and acting styles.

Onew immediately wanted to protest but he realised he was in Key’s house and he was the one who agreed to help him however he could. Insisting that they work at a desk just because Jinki felt uncomfortable being on the same bed as Key again, would defeat the object of him trying to help the younger boy.

“Yeah sure.” Jinki said hesitantly as he carefully walked towards the bed as if a brash movement on his part would somehow set off an alarm or send the bed running away.

Key sensed the tension in Jinki’s body language as he approached the bed.

“Come on old man, you think you can manage not f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter