Chapter 19/33

Perplexed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Here is an update for u all. I will fix any glitches when I get home. This is my first time posting using my phone. XxX

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Key didn't sleep that night, he kept tossing and turning in bed and his mind was spinning a thousand miles a minute. He kept thinking what it would be like if he dated Jonghyun. Jonghyun was safe, secure and the older boy knew him better than any other person in this world. He knew that his best friend loved him and would treat him right. His father, even though he didn't really like Jonghyun, would have to accept the arrangement too since Jonghyun's family was also very rich. All the signs were pointed in the direction of Jonghyun being kind of perfect as his boyfriend and long term partner.

So what was the problem you ask? Well, Kibum didn't feel anything with his best friend. Sure, when they had kissed it had felt comforting and familiar and not at all bad. On the contrary it had felt good -very good- but it was different. He didn't feel that spark, the electricity running up his spine; the heat coiling around every part of his body causing him to pull the other boy closer until their bodies melted together into one . No, he hadn't felt any of that, not the way he had felt it with him... with Jinki. It was still painful to say or speak his name because the picture of the older boy's angry face would flash in his head and he would hear the echoing voice of the other, spitting the word 'kid' before walking away. Yeah, it was still raw and painful and yet, his heart was still aching and beating for the older boy. It was beating a two syllable word that wasn't Jong-hyun. It was thumping hard, breaking, quivering and cracking all for Jin-ki.

Jin-ki Jin-ki Jin-ki

Kibum placed his hand over his heart and tears came to his eyes once more. They were tears of sadness, pain, confusion and frustration. Before he knew it, he was scrolling through his phone and looking at pictures of Jinki and himself together. Some of them had Jonghyun in them too and they all looked so happy and content. How could his world have changed so much in just two days?

What was his future? Were Jinki or Jonghyun standing there in the picture of his future? Or is he just alone?

He was scared, scared to know the answer because losing one of them was hard enough, but to lose them both scared the living daylights out of him and he wasn't sure whether he could handle it.

And so began his sleepless night, he stayed awake, thinking everything over and come morning; he had made a decision. He knew what he needed to do, he just hoped that after it, there was someone left to pick up his broken pieces.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Jonghyun sat worriedly in their usual place in the common room. He wasn't even sure if Kibum would come to his classes today. After what happened last night, Jonghyun wouldn't blame the younger boy for skipping out. Still, he was worried and anxious that Key would turn up even though he wanted him to – they needed to talk and Jonghyun couldn't keep hiding from his best friend, the person he loved, it wasn't right.

Just as he was about to get up and head to his first class, his eyes found a familiar face across the room. Kibum was walking towards him and he felt his chest tighten, though he still managed an uneasy smile towards his best friend. As Key came closer, Jonghyun could see his bloodshot eyes and greyish complexion; he guessed that his best friend had not slept a wink last night.

“Morning Jjong” Key whispered in a small voice, as though he was dipping his foot carefully into the lagoon to see if the crocodiles were going to bite.

“Morning Bum, you look terrible,” Jonghyun pointed out.

“Thanks captain obvious” Key replied sarcastically, but it broke the ice and made them chuckle a little anyway.

“Still hungover?” Jonghyun asked.

“Yeah” Key sighed as he sat down opposite his best friend “You?”

“A little. Let me guess, you didn't take any painkillers this morning did you?” Jonghyun sighed with a pout on his face.

“No, I forgot.” Key replied in a quiet voice because he knew Jonghyun was right, as usual.

“uh huh, and that means you didn't eat either did you?” the older boy added with a raised eyebrow and he already knew the answer.

“I forgot” Kibum supplied again as if it really made any difference anyway.

“Come on!” Jonghyun said, grabbing Kibum's hand and pulling him up.

“Jjong! Where are we going? We have class in like five minutes?” Key asked in confusion.

“It's okay, if you go to class now you won't learn anything anyway because your head will be spinning and you will be so tired from not sleeping last night. You need some energy first.” Jonghyun never stopped moving, he wound through the people in the corridors and Key wasn't even going to ask how Jonghyun knew that he hadn't slept last night. He guessed it came with the best friend intuition and that it must be written all over his face in red eyes and dark circles. In the end he just let Jonghyun drag him along.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

They had gone to a small café on campus and Jonghyun had bought him some breakfast and a coffee before offering him some painkillers from his messenger bag.

“Thanks” Key said when Jonghyun placed the food in front of him. “I can buy it myself you know.” he added with a raised eyebrow.

“I know, but I was the one who didn't stop you drinking last night and then I just bailed on you and went home. I guess this is my way of apologizing.” Jonghyun gave a shy shrug, this was the first time either of them had brought up yesterday's bombshell.

“Listen Jjong, I need to talk to you about that.” Kibum began, his mouth full of eggs so the words were slightly muffled.

“It's okay Bum, you can take your time and think ab-” Jonghyun began but the other boy cut him off.
“Can you just listen? Don't speak, just listen to me okay? Can you do that?” Key asked in a quiet voice but his eyes looked into Jonghyun with so much determination that the older boy just nodded dumbly.

“Thanks. Well, where do I start?” Key began, his hands were shaking and he was trying to piece his brain together.

“When you confessed and kissed me yesterday, you don't have to be sorry. I made you promise and well, I guess you kept that promise. But... when we kissed it felt nice.” Key paused with a small smile on his lips and he saw Jonghyun's shocked expression before he continued “It was warm, safe and satisfying. I care about you so much and if we became a couple everything would be smooth sailing you know?” Key muttered, his face still smiling at the memory.

Jonghyun was confused whether he was supposed to answer, but Key told him to just listen so he remained quiet.

“The thing is though, that here...” he pointed to his heart “here is telling me something different. When I kiss Jin... him, it just feels different. It's like fireworks and lightening all at once but it's also like clouds and soft whispers. When I'm with him there is a feeling of urgency, the thought that I never want to let go and the need for us to be even closer, to meld together into one person.” Key paused here, his expression read that he was truly sorry to Jonghyun but he knew that the older boy needed to know his true feelings, even if he had never said these things to Jinki himself.

Jonghyun's expression was unreadable and he simply nodded his head for the younger to continue.

“I...I don't want to lose you...” Key's voice trembled and cracked “...but I can't return your feelings either. You're my best friend and you always will be. You have been with me through thick and thin and not having you by my side is … is just too hard … I need you Jjong and I know I'm being selfish but I need you. Especially right now, I don't know what I would do without you.” Key broke down into sobs then. A few students in the café gave him weird looks but he didn't care.

Jonghyun moved across the table to hold the younger boy in his arms.

“Shhh...Bummie, it's okay. I'm not going anywhere alright? I have been beside you for years not having my feelings returned and I told myself a long time ago that I would rather have you in my life as a friend, than not have you in my life at all. I need you too Bum, you keep me grounded. You pick me up when I'm down. You give my father and myself hope that the Kim's future is going to be brighter...” He chuckled a little at this last point as he felt Key laughing into his shoulder at the thought of his parent's business being run in the proper way and how he was some kind of future saviour.

They sat there for a while just calming down and talking through things. Despite Kibum now knowing Jonghyun's feelings, things didn't seem all that different than before. A little, yes... but not drastically different.

Key was resting his head on Jonghyun's shoulder as they sat side by side on the café sofa.

“He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter