Chapter 5/33

Perplexed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: So here is part 5. I hope you all like it…I really enjoyed writing this chapter. XxxX

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Onew woke up the next morning to an un-easy feeling in his stomach. As he sat down in the lunch room to eat his usual breakfast of rice porridge and a slice of toast, the un-easy feeling grew as his mind wandered back to Key. Despite his best efforts, Jinki kept thinking about the younger boy and what had happened last night in the library. Actually, he was feeling a little bit guilty at pushing Key away and using a slightly hard tone. He was aware of Key’s feelings towards him but he was hoping that the younger boy would start to see him as just a friend and move on. He shouldn’t be feeling guilty – no- he had made it very clear to Kibum that he wasn’t interested in him that way. Yet the younger had just kept pushing and pushing. So why was he feeling bad about it? Why did the look of disappointment and desperation on the younger boy’s face affect him so much?

Onew had barely eaten half his bowl, when he glanced at his watch and noticed it was almost time for his first class. He needed to stop thinking about Key, he decided; thinking about him simply took up too much of his time.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Key awoke that morning in a very different way to Onew and an admittedly all too frequent manner. He had once again slept through his alarm clock and only awoke when he heard Jonghyun beeping the horn of his car from downstairs. Although Key’s parents had arranged a private car to take him to university – he never used it. He preferred to keep his family’s wealth as quiet as possible and he would much rather travel with his best friend than in silence with a strange driver. Kibum was rushing around, grabbing his bag and laptop – quickly finding some clothes to throw on – before washing up in the bathroom as quickly as possible. He decided to skip breakfast (once again) and bolted down the stairs to Jonghyun’s car that was parked in the large circular entrance to his house. Jonghyun’s car was a top of the range, bright white BMW – however, once it was parked in front of the Kim’s mansion, it might as well have been a 1997 Toyota. In comparison to the usual sleek, black Mercedes Benz that would fit right in – Jonghyun’s car stuck out like a sore thumb and Key absolutely loved that fact.

“Here” Jonghyun said as he passed over a white paper bag to Key. Upon opening it, he found a small Americano and an English muffin. “I thought you would need that this morning – since you were practicing until late last night.” The older boy finished with a knowing look and his signature smile.

“You know me too well Jjong, thanks.” Key replied and their journey to campus was filled with general chatter and laughter. It wasn’t until Key walked into his first class of the day ‘business finance’ that he thought about Onew. The reason for this? Sitting right there on the front row of the large lecture theatre was none other than Lee Jinki himself. Key had known that they were both studying the same topic since that night of the party (Kibum’s body shivered at the memory of that night) but he had forgotten that there would be a guest lecturer coming to speak today which meant that all first, second and third years were invited to attend. Suddenly he was really looking forward to this lecture, especially since he saw the seat next to Onew was free (most students wanting to sit away in the back.)

“I feel like I say this a lot, but, can I sit here?” Key asked with a small smile and the older boy just chuckled before nodding his head.
“Listen, Onew, about last night – ” Key was interrupted by Jinki,

“Never mind, let’s just ignore the event and move on … deal?” Onew offered his winning smile and suddenly he didn’t feel as un-easy around the younger boy.

“Deal” Key replied, nodding his head.

“So, are you looking forward to the lecture? I heard she is making leaps and bounds in her latest business ventures” Onew asked.

“Actually, I just heard she was hot so I thought I would attend and see for myself.” Key responded with a smirk.

Onew just looked at the younger boy; feeling baffled. Was that all Key ever thought about?

“Jinki, I’m kidding – actually I need to pull my grades up a bit more before the summer finals, so I thought this would be a good start.” Key said with a small laugh. He saw the older boy release a breath and Jinki joined in with Key’s laughter.

Before the lecture began, both boys continued to chat. Key got a few strange looks from the friends he usually sat with in class, but he couldn’t bring himself to move away from Onew. During their chat, Jinki learnt that Key was struggling with some of the material that he was also stuck on last year. Key found out that Jinki was unbelievably smart and that he worked a part time job at a bookstore/ coffee shop. Before either of them could ask any more questions however, they were interrupted by the sound of a microphone being tapped. As they turned their attention to the front of the room, they saw an old woman with grey hair standing behind the lectern. As if on cue, both boys broke out into a quiet laugh before the older boy leaned over and whispered into Key’s ear,

“Oh yeah, I can see how she might be your type Key. Grandmother issues or something?" Onew asked which made the younger boy snort in laughter. No more words were then exchanged between the two boys as the lecture began.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter