Chapter 18/33

Perplexed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Here comes the drama... enjoy!

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Things didn't blow over though. No, in fact they remained sitting under the surface for the next couple of weeks until finally, Jinki exploded. In the middle of university's sports field.

“What do you mean? How can you think I'm ashamed of you?” Key was being defensive, the beginning of the conversation had made tensions rise.

“Well, let's look at the facts shall we?” Jinki spat, completely wrapped up in his own anger and hurt to realise how harsh he actually sounded. “I introduced you to my mother and father, we had dinner together, they drove you home. You said you liked them and yet in response, you won't even let me set foot across the iron gates to your house when your parents are here!” Jinki finished.

“I never ASKED you to introduce me to your parents, or invite me for dinner Jinki! I would never have agreed if I knew you were keeping some kind of score!” Kibum responded, he was on edge and he could feel the tears welling up in his eyes.

“If you're ashamed of me Kibum, then why don't you just leave me alone. I don't need your pity!” Jinki shouted this, his face mere inches away from the younger boy's face.

That's when Key broke down. It felt like Jinki's loud voice had shattered the world around him. The fragile glass that was keeping them both safe from the outside world was obliterated by that one sentence.

“Fine then, I'll leave you alone.” Kibum responded in a small voice, only just above a whisper.

Jinki didn't realise the change in tone or the hurt in the younger's voice because he was clouded by anger.

“Good! See you around, Kid!” Onew spat with finality and walked away towards the university's gate.

Kibum broke down in sobs then, he wished the weather would rain and soak him to the bone, but no. The sun was still shining brightly for 4pm on a Tuesday, the grass smelt fresh like spring and this only served to frustrate Key even more. His shoulders shook and he slumped to his knees. He sat there crying for what felt like an hour, but judging by his surroundings was a lot less. Finally, he rose up, grabbed his bag that Jinki had so recklessly thrown to the ground at the beginning of their fight and headed home.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Once he reached home, he heard Elise trying to talk to him but he simply ignored her and walked to his room. It was ironic really, because Kibum's parents were out of the country again and Key was going to invite Jinki over for dinner. Before he had even got that far though, Key asked what was wrong and why Jinki had been avoiding him for the last couple of days and then the dam broke. Feelings, anger, anguish and sorrow all came rushing at the two boys and it managed to break something that they thought was so strong, in just a few lousy minutes.

He crawled under the blankets in his bedroom and cried so much that he fell asleep. He was woken up after a while though by the sound of his phone ringing. His heart swelled with hope that Jinki was calling to make up and apologize so as he scrambled for his phone he was a little disappointed to see Jonghyun's bright smile lighting up his phone. None the less, he still answered.

“Hello”

“Hi, I heard from Minho what happened. You okay Bum?”

“No...not really.” Key answered solemnly as he tried to hold back the tears in his voice.

“You sound exhausted” Jonghyun said softly.

“It's okay, he's just a guy. I'll get over it.” The younger boy tried to sound confident but his best friend knew him far too well.

“Listen, it's late already tonight. Get some rest and I'll come by in the morning and we can talk all of this through... okay?” Jonghyun suggested with a soft smile that could be heard in his voice.

“I don't feel like going to class tomorrow Jjong, I just want – ” Key began but was cut off.

“I didn't say anything about going to class. I'll come by and spend the day with you. My classes can wait for a day. You're more important Bummie.” The older boy said.

“Thanks Jjong...see you tomorrow. Goodnight.” Key sighed.

“Night, get some rest.” and with that, Jonghyun hung up the phone and Key fell back into an exhausted sleep.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

“Wake up sleepy head” Key heard a muffled voice and his nose twitched in irritation as he rolled over.

“C'mon, time to get up.” The voice said again, now much more clear and he felt his nose twitching again before he woke up to Jonghyun's large puppy eyes and lopsided grin looking at him. Jonghyun's middle finger was tracing his nose and making him wiggle it as it tickled a little.

“Jjong?” Key asked with fuzzy vision as Jonghyun's finger moved down to trace across his delicate jaw line.

“Elise made breakfast, come on.” Jonghyun smiled and hoisted Key up from the bed by pulling his two limp arms.

“Alright, alright. I'm not an invalid, I can walk.” Key swatted his best friends hands away and steadied himself on his feet.

Jonghyun walked towards the bedroom door but stopped as he realised Key wasn't following him.

“Where are you going?” Jonghyun asked incredulously.

“I need to pee... now go down, I'll meet you there.” Key said with a frown before offering a sweet smile to make the older boy leave.
“Okay... but no going back to bed. I'll come back and find you if you're not downstairs in five minutes.” Jonghyun gave a sceptical look before heading out the door.

As soon as Key was left alone, he felt a little bit odd. He did his business in the bathroom and then went to wash his face and brush his teeth. That's when he remembered about yesterday's fight with Jinki and his stomach sank like lead in the ocean. He proceeded to give himself a pep talk that he didn't need Jinki and he was better off without him. Key had tears in his eyes that were threatening to spill so he splashed his face with water again, took a deep breath and then headed downstairs.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

“Good morning handsome” Elsie greeted lightly when Kibum walked in the room. It was clear to both herself and Jonghyun that Kibum had been close to crying again so she tried to distract him.

“I made chocolate chip pancakes; your favourite. Come and eat them while they're still hot.” She added and Key just nodded with a small thanks.

“You didn't call me handsome when I walked in the room,” Jonghyun pouted at Elise and she just smiled a little with a blush.

“She calls you handsome all the time when you're not here, so get over it.” Key said with slight amusement and a chuckle as he munched through his pancakes.

“Oh really?” Jonghyun's chest puffed out a little and Elise found herself laughing at him.

“Put your chest away and eat your breakfast” Key simply said and Jonghyun listened, still smiling a little into his pancakes.

Once they had all finished and Elise insisted that she would clean up, she asked:

“So, what are you boys going to do today? I assume your not headed to the university since it's already pushing half eleven.”

“Just hang out here if that's okay? Just chat and watch some movies and stuff.” Jonghyun replied.

“Of course dear, it's Kibum's house after all.” She smiled and then shooed them away from the kitchen, giving one last concerned glance in Key's direction.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

They had successfully watched every single one of Kibum's favourite movies and Jonghyun had successfully held in his critical comments for every single one. He was so close to making a vomiting sound during one scene in 'notting hill' when Julia Roberts turned up at Hugh Grant's house. He managed to hold it in though and it seemed like Key was in higher spirits than this morning.

“So...do you want to talk about it?” Jonghyun asked a little tentatively once the credits rolled for the fourth time that day.

“Not really...” Key sighed as he looked through the stack of DVD's for the next film.

“Then what do you want to do?” Jonghyun asked with concern evident on his features.

“Hmmm....” Kibum thought and noticed the pitiful look Jonghyun was giving him. “...you know what I really want to do? I want to drink!” Key announced, locking Jonghyun's eyes with his own.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter