Chapter 23/33

Perplexed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: So, it's finally here. An update for you all. I am sorry this took longer than usual because I have less than 3 days left before I need to move my life half way across the world and back to the UK. I still have so much to do. Bills to cancel, things to pay, things to pack....the list is endless. However, I still found time to write so yey! Haha.

I hope you enjoy this one :).

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

“Y-you love me?” Kibum stuttered, his face just as red as the older boys and shaped in disbelief.

“U-uh...” that was the only thing that would come out of Jinki's mouth. He felt like there was a cobra around his neck, squeezing the life out of him slowly.

Nobody spoke for a few minutes. The silence was suffocating and Jinki was standing behind Kibum, now much further back and still holding helplessly onto the dish towel, as if it was his only lifeline. Kibum eventually broke the silence with a loud sigh, and Jinki knew that his boyfriend was getting impatient waiting for his answer.

“I-I don't know...” Jinki offered in response but again, the younger boy didn't seem satisfied with such an answer and he didn't really blame him. “I think, on some level...that I love you Kibummie. I didn't mean to say it, it...just...popped out.” Onew explained, or tried to.

“So...you don't love me?” Key asked, and Jinki couldn't read his mind. His boyfriend's face was unreadable and held a steady gaze. Since he didn't know what Kibum wanted to hear, he decided to just go with the truth.

“No, I do love you, or I wouldn't have said it. Whether it was intentional or not, I have thought it in my head a couple of times in the last few days so I guess it finally came out. I just... well, I didn't expect it to be so soon and I know it is really early for me to be throwing such strong feelings around...I'm sorry Kibum.” Jinki finished and he hoped it would ease the stifling tension in the air that was threatening to suffocate him.

“Jinki – ” Key began in a measured tone and Jinki was honestly afraid of what his boyfriend was going to say.

“ - don't you ever apologize about the way you feel. Especially not with me. It took me off guard, that's for sure...” Kibum chuckled and Jinki released a breath he didn't know he had been holding. “... and I'm not there yet. I'm not ready to say those words back to you, but I hope I will be soon. I just, I wanted to know if those feelings for me were real or if you just said them. I've been hurt before Jinx, and it's hard to open my heart so easily but I will try, I am getting there...slowly. I care about you so much. If you ever leave me I will be heart broken and all I want, is to be close to you. I can't say I love you though, even though I know that I am falling slowly in love everyday, it wouldn't be fair to say it until I feel it deep down inside.” Kibum worried his bottom lip and looked cautiously into Onew's eyes to see his reaction.

Jinki took a few steps forward, he smoothed his thumb across Kibum's bottom lip and watched as the plump flesh fell away from his teeth.

“I love you Kim Kibum, and I will wait for you. I don't need to hear it back, not until you feel it too. I will be patient with you, just like you are patient with me. Let's help each other.” Jinki spoke softly but with so much conviction that Kibum's eyes began to tear up. “Please don't cry Bummie.” Jinki said with a light chuckle and he smiled brightly when he saw the younger boy's lips also curl into a small smile. Jinki's arms moved to snake around Kibum's body, pulling them both impossibly close, his hands winding their way into the back pockets of Kibum's light wash jeans. Kibum's hands came up to rest behind Jinki's neck on instinct. Onew leaned forward and their lips brushed lightly, teasingly. It was clear they both wanted more and Jinki moved to press forward, pinning Kibum between the sink and himself, lips moving insistently closer before he froze.

-Bang-

He heard the front door close and keys being dropped onto a surface nearby. Both boy's eyes widened as they looked at each other in panic before they sprung apart. Jinki turned his head hastily to see his father poking his head around the door.

“I just came to say goodnight Jinki-ah.” His father responded with a soft smile but Onew could see the confusion written on his father's face. It was clear that he saw or noticed something, but Jinki didn't know what because it all happened in a blur.

“O-okay, goodnight. You're not eating?” Jinki asked, trying to act as normal as possible as if he wasn't about to kiss the younger boy behind him harshly and make him a mess in the kitchen.

“I ate at the office earlier. Make sure you don't stay up too late since Nanna Jung will be here early tomorrow.” He said before tilting his head a little to the left to look behind his son. “Goodnight to you too Kibum-ssi” he spoke.

“Goodnight, Mr Lee.” Kibum responded but he didn't miss how Mr Lee looked into his eyes for a second longer than normal and he could feel his whole body heating up under the scrutiny. The older man's face was void of emotion in those few seconds before he turned his attention back to Jinki. He offered his son a small smile, eyes crinkling at the corners as he did so, before turning around and heading up the stairs.

Both boys remained still until they heard the bedroom door close and then they exhaled loudly and turned to face each other.

“How much do you think he saw?” Kibum asked, voice still tight.

“I don't know.” Jinki answered. “Come on, let's just go to bed.” he continued and gave a reassuring smile, the tension slowly dissipating the further away from the kitchen they got.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

'That kitchen is cursed' Jinki thought to himself whilst staring into the black of his bedroom. Kibum was sleeping soundly beside him though and he had to smile in the end because his boyfriend was the cutest when he slept. He let out light puffs of air against Jinki's neck and would make small mumbling noises every so often. Finally, the warm press of Kibum beside him and the rhythm of his breathing lulled Jinki into a soft and calm sleep. He pressed a kiss lightly to Key's forehead before he truly drifted away into dreamland.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Jinki woke up to a knocking on the door before he blurringly saw his mother's face come into view.

“Jinki-ah, Kibum-ssi, wake up.” She whispered lightly and when she saw her son's head stir, she walked back out and closed the door.

“Eurgh” Onew spoke and turned his head to look at his boyfriend who thankfully, had the covers pulled up tight and was not in any compromising positions. They had fallen asleep slightly cuddled together, but it seemed like Jinki had become too warm again because he was detached from his boyfriend and he had thrown all of the covers over onto Kibum. In that way, they were both kind of perfect. Jinki was always too warm and Kibum would get cold easily.

“Kibummie...” Jinki shook his boyfriend's form that was cocooned in blankets. “...Kibum...baby....wake up.” Jinki announced and finally his boyfriend began to stir.

“Jinki, what the hell? It better not be 6am again” Key trailed off as he peeked over at his boyfriend from under the covers.

“No it's not, my mum came in to wake us up, my Nanna will be here soon.” Jinki cooed softly because the sight of Kibum with squinty eyes and messed up bed hair was too cute to handle. “C'mon baby wake up.” Jinki asked quietly.

“Hmmm...okay. Where's my good morning kiss?” Key asked in a still groggy voice and he turned to face his boyfriend.

“W-what?” Onew was surprised at the request because Kibum wasn't usually the cute and romantic type...did it have something to do with yesterdays confession, he wondered. “I have morning breath, you hate when I try to kiss you before I have brushed my teeth..” Jinki began but was cut off by his boyfriend.

“I don't care, c'mere or I'm not waking up.” the younger boy said and stretched his arms out for Jinki to come closer. Onew shut up then, not going to protest and their lips met in a soft and delicate kiss that was slightly gross from the sleep still in their mouths but it still tasted of sunshine, birds and trees and Jinki thought that waking up like this every morning would be wonderful.

“Now go brush you teeth, your breath stinks.” Kibum said as they broke apart. He pushed Jinki's shoulder in the direction of the bathroom and sat up in the bed.

“Okay!” Jinki responded happily and practically bounced towards the bedroom door, in search of the bathroom. Once Jinki had left, Kibum chuckled lightly at his childish boyfriend before he began to get dressed. He had showered last night already.

Jinki walked happily back towards his bedroom with minty fresh breath, an empty bladder and a clean face. He could hear his mother in the kitchen, cooking breakfast and cleaning but his father was out since the car wasn't in the driveway when he had peeked out the bathroom window earlier. His father must have gone to pick up Nanna Jung which eased Jinki's heart a little, at least for the time being.

When he entered his bedroom, he noticed Key had already changed and was gathering his things for the bathroom.

“Awww, you got dressed already?” Jinki pouted and Kibum gave him a confused look.

“Why? Was I not supposed to or something?” the younger asked quizzically.

“I just like watching you change that's all.” he continued to pout.

“That's creepy, hyung.” Kibum said but he wore a teasing smile.

“You're my boyfriend so it isn't creepy. Also, quit calling me hyung, you never do that.” Jinki said with a voice like a petulant child.

“Relax Jinx, I'm just practising for when your grandma arrives, I should call you hyung or she will think it's weird.” Kibum mumbled.

“No, she won't. You're my friend. Don't call me hyung... I don't like it.” Jinki said, now with a serious tone. He held Kibum's hands in his own and pulled the younger boy closer. He leaned in, lips hovering over his boyfriend's, watched as Kibum's eyes slid closed and then placed his palm across Kibum's mouth. “Now, go brush your teeth, your breath stinks.” Jinki announced and grinned at his sweet sweet revenge. Kibum simply scoffed and gave his best diva face before stomping out to the bathroom. Jinki couldn't help but chuckle, he really loved Kibum, from his head to his toes, from his big heart to his cold expressions. He loved every part of the younger boy and he hoped that Kibum would feel the same soon enough. It was like waiting for a baby to be born, he would wait patiently but on the other hand, he couldn't wait for the day when it finally arrives. The only difference was that you know when a baby is going to be born (more or less) but he had no idea when Kibum would finally say those words, it could be weeks, months or years. Either way, he was still excited for the day he would finally hear it.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Mrs Lee had made a small breakfast for them before Jinki's grandmother arrived. As soon as Mr Lee and the elderly lady walked through the front door, Jinki launched himself at her in a smothering hug and with the brightest smile on his face. Kibum found it an adorable sight but seeing the woman for the first time and the added pressure of bumping into Mr Lee again had his palms sweating already.

“Nanna! I'm so glad to see you. How are you?” Jinki said as he moved away and allowed her to sit down in the arm chair in the living room.

“I'm great Jinki dear. Oh my, just look at you. You have grown so much, so handsome and you are practically glowing sweetie. I take it you are well too?” Jinki's grandmother spoke as she pinched at his cheeks and ran her hands down his broad shoulders.

“Yeah Nanna, I'm great. Oh! Let me introduce you to my friend.” Jinki said, suddenly remembering his boyfriend's presence and when he looked over, he could see how tense and awkward Kibum looked standing in the doorway to the living room.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter