Minho/Key #5

Drabbles & More

author's note: for this prompt - “I’m pregnant.” (technically, it's het!minkey, Key/Minjung)

 

When Minjung first sees the two life-changing lines on her pregnancy test, she takes in the information as if she’s watching the weather forecast. Remaining unusually calm, she puts the stick aside and takes out another kit from the bathroom cabinet to do the test again. There have been false alarms before and the disappointment she had felt then serves as a harsh reminder that Minjung should not get her hopes too high. A part of her is even thankful that Kibum is currently working on a magazine shoot overseas and will be away for a week. This way, she won’t get carried away and be as sensible as any potential mother-to-be can be. Minjung may love Kibum more than anyone else in the world but sometimes, he can get a little too wild for her to manage. Right now is one of those times she can do without his craziness.

Perhaps because Minjung hesitates to check the results, not daring to even look at the test, as she is afraid that it’ll come back negative, the wait for the results of the second test feels much longer than the first. It takes a while as Minjung prepares herself for the possibility of another false alarm before she takes in a deep breath and finally picks the second stick up. When it shows the same result as the first, Minjung’s calm façade cracks. Her knees go weak but she quickly steadies herself against the sink. It isn’t just her alone anymore. There’s a life growing inside her now that Minjung treasures more than her own life. Taking careful steps out of the bathroom, Minjung decides that a doctor’s appointment is in order. And well, Kibum can wait. Their baby is her priority right now.

 

The first trimester passes with Kibum not knowing he’s going to be a father. At first, Minjung had planned to wait until the risk of miscarriage was low and her pregnancy, their baby, entered into a more stable state before sharing the good news with Kibum. However, things got a little too fun for Minjung being the only person who knows about her pregnancy that she continued keeping it a secret. It just brings her so much joy seeing Kibum looking so confused and bewildered, unable to understand why Minjung has changed her lifestyle in noticeable ways.

Ever since the doctor confirmed her pregnancy, Minjung has paid special attention to her diet by eating healthy, balanced meals of which she requests Kibum to cook for her. She cuts out both alcohol and caffeine to stay healthy, leaving Kibum drinking alone and taking away the simple pleasure of sharing one cup of coffee that they both enjoy in the mornings. Minjung sticks to exercising regularly but she neither goes for long runs nor play soccer anymore. It baffles Kibum so much that Minjung has given up her favourite sport and chooses to swim instead. She also doesn’t walk as fast as she used to and Kibum is now the one who has to slow down his pace so they can walk together.

Kibum notices all these changes in Minjung and never hides his curiosity. He asks her questions every other day, but the only answer he ever gets from Minjung is that he’s thinking too much. Minjung doesn’t know why Kibum believes her so easily but she likes that he does; and so, she continues to keep Kibum in the dark and use him as a source of entertainment. But of course, you really can’t hide a pregnancy for long, especially not when you see a person day in, day out.

Minjung is over 12 weeks pregnant, her baby bump becoming more obvious, when she finally decides to let Kibum know. Standing in front of the mirror, she lifts her shirt enough to expose her stomach and turns sideways to admire her bump. Kibum walks into their room then and finds her rubbing her belly.

“Yeobo…” Minjung calls out as she meets Kibum’s eyes in the mirror.

“Hmm?” Kibum comes to stand next to her with a smile and presses a kiss on her shoulder.

“Do I look fat?”

Kibum visibly tenses and Minjung does everything she can to resist laughing. It’s a question she has never asked him but the most difficult one that no guy wants to answer.

“I’ve gained weight, haven’t I?” Minjung pouts, curious to know how Kibum would deal with the supposedly sensitive topic.

“You’re acting really weird, darling.” Kibum says instead, “Or am I thinking too much again?”

Minjung gasps dramatically, “You’re avoiding the question… does that mean you think I really look fat?!”

“I didn’t say that!”

“But you’re thinking it, aren’t you?”

“Minjung…” Kibum frowns, troubled over Minjung’s sudden temper.

“Well, lucky for you, Mister, I’m not fat.” Minjung shrugs before she casually announces, “I’m just pregnant.”

“You’re what?!” Kibum’s eyes are as wide as saucers.

A smile grows on Minjung’s face, “I’m pregnant.”

Kibum blinks once, twice and then slowly lowers his eyes to Minjung’s exposed belly.

“Preg… nant?” Kibum repeats like a child who’s learning a word for the first time.

“Yes, yeobo…” Minjung giggles, reaching out to take Kibum’s hand and placing it on her baby bump, “We’re having a baby.”

Kibum allows Minjung to move his hand and rub her belly together as he stupidly asks, “This is not… fats?”

“Of course not!” Minjung bursts out laughing and then adds, “Well, not all of it.”

“Minjung ah…”

“Yes, daddy?”

Kibum narrows his eyes at the love of his life, “If you weren’t pregnant, I’d be strangling you right now.”

“I’m guessing you figured it all out?”

Kibum nods, a stern expression on his face.

“Well…” Minjung grins as she sticks out her baby bump even more, “I’m pregnant so…”

“I guess I’ll have to wait nine months then.”

“Technically, it’s less than six months now.”

“Choi Minjung!”

“Oops?”