For Squirtle

Between the Lines

(Yeri's POV)
 

You have always admired Seulgi from the first time you saw her, even with that ridiculous apple hair on. She looks good in her yellow uniform, even in that yellow shirt that she loves to wear along with her black ones. Her smile, you could write a million things about it but then of course you kept it all to yourself. 

 

Besides, she likes someone else.

 

x

 

Irene rarely stays up but you can hear her texting someone over the phone by midnight.

You can hear her shy giggles over every message as soon after her phone vibrates.

 

You wonder who it is she's talking to that makes her so happy.

 

You stopped wondering when she sneaks out the room and return by dawn apparently watching a show in the living room with someone.

 

x

 

 

But how could you harbor such hate for Irene, that even if you're early for school the next day, she would still wake up earlier than you, your uniform pressed to perfection, with your meal all set at the table. You knew she stayed up the night with Seulgi but she still greeted you with a charming smile and looks after you with care, never forgetting to remind you of school stuff like how a mother should. Heck, even your own mother doesn't even show such concern like how this unnie does. 

 

You can only repay her with a warm hug before leaving and a high five at a very drowsy Seulgi struggling to open her eyes just to join Irene in helping with your meals.

 

 

x

 

 

You have your small glimmer of hope when Seulgi gives you hugs every now and then, you smile secretly knowing she won't hug Irene in public like that. You have all the maknae privilege and you cling into Seulgi in every chance you get, but it still won't beat how Irene would shamelessly do it even during broadcasts.

 

Or during that time that you have this silly cold, and Seulgi is the one who has no schedule, tends to look after you even if you are already feeling well:  "It's just a silly cold! I am better now!" but the usual eyesmile she wears turned into worried ones.

 

"We can't afford having a sick member. I will keep an eye on you, it is my responsibility." 

 

 

You felt your heart flutter, but you know that she will do it to all members if they will be sick as well.

 

 

x

 

 

One night, you are all gathered, Irene's call, said she got something important to say.

 

You know you shouldn't be surprised but of course the inevitable pain in your chest is there.

 

"Seulgi and I, we are officially together..." you heard the leader talk.

 

The rest stayed in awkward silence still thinking of the proper reaction to say, you should be the one who's more accepting knowing you liked this one girl all this time. You broke the silence over the sudden announcement with a loud cheer, and the nervous smiles in your unnies' face turned into genuine ones when the rest join the cheers as well.

 

Of course, they love each other, the rest should be happy as well, especially you.

 

x

 

You found your unnies cuddled up on the lower bunk of the shared bed, with Irene cupping her hands around Seulgi's face and pecking her with kisses. It was only on the 5th peck that the two of them noticed you standing by the doorway.

 

"I told you we should lock the door!" a very flustered Seulgi said while Irene just smiles at you.

 

"I'm sorry I should leave now." you said while giving off your cheekiest grin hoping the two wouldn't notice.

 

"No, stay. I'll be leaving anyway..." Seulgi gets up from the bed to leave the room but not before ruffling your hair.

 

You hid your blush from Irene as you climbed on top of the bunk, but you can't look at Seulgi in the eye anymore after that incident.

 

 

x

 

 

The change in room arrangement sends you some comfort, and distress the same time, of course they choose to room together, you wonder how Wendy feels, but maybe she's so used in seeing them kissing that it doesn't affect her in any way.

 

You got your share of late nights staying up, wondering what it would feel being in Irene's place, hugging and kissing Seulgi freely, receiving Seulgi's love. It would be wonderful, you know you'd be the best girlfriend ever, at the same time you feel bad at being jealous.

 

You heave a sigh hoping Joy wouldn't notice but she hits you with a pillow and you came crashing down to reality, Seulgi will never be yours.

 

"I should really let go now..." you said to yourself, as you retaliate in hitting Joy.

 

You end up in a massive pillow fight filled with screams and halfway being reprimanded by the three unnies.

 

You still wore silly grins in your faces after they leave, resulting in another round of fight, they would give up nagging anyway.

 

 

x

 

 

Morning came and you know you are late for school, you found Irene and Seulgi in the kitchen as usual.

 

Maybe someday, this pain would go away completely, for now you are sure you have already let go.

 

You left for school but not before giving both of them a massive hug, you hear Seulgi smile and say: "What's wrong with our maknae today?"

 

"I just love you guys so much!" you stayed in the hug longer than necessary, holding back the tears, as you felt Irene patting your head gently.

 

 

Maybe someday, eventually you will find the right one for you, but for now, you are just happy being here with them, with her, even just as friends.

 

They deserve each other, it’s really time to let go now.

 

 


* Based on a prompt from michyeo
** Again thank you to all the readers