2nd Taeyeon? I am the 1st Taeyeon!

Between the Lines

Taeyeon looked away from the television once she heard heels clacking from the doorway. She puts away the popcorn bowl she's cuddling like a baby for an hour now, dusting off cheese from her hands, she immediately stood up to follow Tiffany into her room.

 

"Hi! How's the schedule?" Taeyeon asks as she sat in Tiffany's bed, fiddling with her fingers while she made a mental note of changing her manicure this week. It will probably be cheese-themed manicure, as she laughed at the idea.

 

"What schedule? Oh I have no schedule for today... Had a date...with Seulgi. It was fun and exciting to see..Hyun.. whiny and adoraaaable bear." the sound of the shower made it even harder to understand what Tiffany was saying.

You see Tiffany has this habit of mixing Korean and English into their convos so often, she knew Taeyeon could understand bits and pieces, and frankly doesn't mind her American friend. But this time, Taeyeon could not believe it when she heard those words come from Tiffany. Had a date with Seulgi. Had a date with Seulgi.  Had a date with Seulgi. Mothering  Tiffany Hwang had a lunch date with Seulgi and Seohyun is the third wheel again.

 

"Tae, are you still there?" Tiffany opens the bathroom door and found Taeyeon spaced out and looking paler than ever, if that's even possible.

 

"Helloooo? Earth to Taetae?" Tiffany huskily asked as she comes closer to Taeyeon, the latter could only look at Tiffany like she is Sadako as she backs away.

 

"I think I'll be going now, I have stuff to do..." 

 

"Okayyy... I think I'll be sleeping, tired from all the matchy matchy stuff I had to do earlier." Tiffany replied.

 

Tired, she's tired from whatever activities she had with Seulgi. Lunch and matchy matchy whatever that is. Taeyeon just pats her chest dramatically as she went out of Tiffany's room.

 

"Hey Taeyeon, are you sure you're okay? You're not looking well, do you want me to.."

 

"No no it's fine, I am fine, Hweeeeng!" as she shuts the door a bit louder than usual.

 

"Huh." Tiffany just frowned but is too tired to argue so she just slept.

 

x

 

Unknown to Tiffany, Taeyeon quickly checks her phone out and there it is, an instagram update with Tiffany and Seulgi but with no Seohyun in sight. Hah, looking good together, but why would Tiffany be dating the 2nd Taeyeon, I am the 1st Taeyeon, wait, I am the only Taeyeon why would she settle for the 2nd Taeyeon. She could only rant and sulk in despair as she looks at the IG post again. Stupid heart emojis.

 

Morning came and Tiffany has an early appointment at SMEnt building. She checks up on Taeyeon first before leaving, but she entered the room and see Taeyeon already dressed.

 

"Going out too?" Tiffany asked.

"Yes, you see, I am a very busy person." Taeyeon answered while avoiding looking Tiffany in the eye.

 

"Do you want to come with me then? I mean, our destination is practically the same?"

 

"No no, you can go first, it's not like we depend on each other most of the time, right? Especially now with your situation.." Taeyeon mumbled grumpily.

 

"What situation? Ugh fine if you don't want to come with me, I'll just see you later then." TIffany stomped away.

 

"Right." Taeyeon had finished scanning all that she needed to know, now it's time to face the enemy.

 

x

 

Kang Seulgi, 2nd Taeyeon. 94 liner, Red Velvet's lead vocalist and lead dancer. Famous for her bear like cuteness.

 

"Adoraaaable bear..." Taeyeon mimicked Tiffany's line from yesterday as she entered the building and is now heading towards where she's sure the girls are practicing. Taeyeon had to endure several bows from her juniors as well as the trainees all the way to the dance practice room.

 

She now spotted the Kang Seulgi, the one Tiffany had a date with yesterday, the enemy.

 

All the 5 members are bowing to her now as she awkwardly smiled and greeted them.

"How's the practice going, huh? Having fun?" Taeyeon could only glance at the members, it is always better when Tiffany is around to ease situations like this. What has she gotten herself into. The members are nodding in unison now, but speaking of the devil, pair of heels are already clacking and Taeyeon doesn't need to check who it is. She noticed the shy smiles from the kids as Tiffany comes closer. She observes Seulgi's reaction but there is none, the girl is busy talking to Irene, both lost in their own world. Way to be flirty in front of your lunch date yesterday, Kang.

 

Tiffany puts her arm around Taeyeon as she is now greeting the girls. She noticed Seulgi and Irene come closer, cheeks blushing upon seeing Tiffany. Taeyeon took this opportunity to look at Seulgi closely, the girl looks really pretty and cute, and bit taller than her, Taeyeon subtly stood tall on her tiptoes reaching to compete with Seulgi's height.

"Should've worn heels today.." Taeyeon bit her nail as she muttered to no one.

She wants to scold herself for wanting to dislike the girl as she's now animatedly talking to Tiffany as Irene laughs along with her, the rest of the members are having a mini stretching competition and Joy is currently winning. Taeyeon felt Tiffany's arm wrapped around her waist possessively as the girl stares.

Taeyeon knew that stare too well, and she stared back too. Irene spoke in a hushed tone to break the staring contest between the two: "Unnies we are going to resume our practice now, I hope you two don't mind..."

 

"No, I'll be heading home now. Taeyeon?" Tiffany smiled as Taeyeon grunted when her arm wrapped a bit tighter around Taeyeon's waist now.

"Y-Yeah, I just checked up on you kids, we'll be heading home now..." Taeyeon coughs.

 

They all bid their farewells as Red Velvet excitedly resumed their practice.

 

The ride home was silent as both are clearly agitated for no reason at all.

 

x

 

The room to the dorm slammed as Taeyeon entered followed by a mad Tiffany.

 

"Whatever happened to I am a very busy person? Huh...?" Tiffany muttered.

"Why did you not stayed there for lunch? Another date with the adddooorabbblee bearr, perhaps?" Taeyeon grumpily replied.

"Why didn't you stay then? You were the one busy ogling Seulgi like there's no tomorrow..." Tiffany glared.

 

"No, I wasn't."

 

"Yes, you were."

 

"No."

 

"Yes."

 

"Excuse me Hweeeeng? I am not ogling at your potential girlfriend slash date..." Taeyeon stared at Tiffany now with gritting teeth.

 

Tiffany paused and just laughed like Taeyeon was telling her a joke.

 

"What? What are you laughing at?" Taeyeon just crossed her arms in disbelief.

 

"So, this is what it's about. Taeyeon, are you jealous of Seulgi?" Tiffany bites her lip and just smiled.

 

"No."

"Yes, you are.." Tiffany pokes Taeyeon's cheek as she continues to smile.

 

"No, and no poking of cheek, that's... f-foul..." Taeyeon sulks.

 

Tiffany lifts Taeyeon's chin as she spoke very slowly: "She's not a potential girlfriend, Tae. That lunch date we had, Irene was with us."

Taeyeon's eyes were glaring now (Joohyun is Irene, of course..): "But that Instagram post! You two are not with Irene!"

 

Tiffany is whispering now like she's letting Taeyeon in on a secret: "Irene is too shy for a selca, but she was the one who took the picture.  Seulgi even whined about it. Hmm, and remember that matchy matchy stuff I was talking about? I heard the two were having tension, so I sort of intervened and gave them a bit scolding, I guess they made up now granting they are looking happy earlier. No?"

 

Taeyeon just slowly nodded.

 

"Now, Kim Taeyeon, tell me. Are you still jealous of Seulgi..?"

"So you are saying Irene and Seulgi are... you know.." Taeyeon is now whispering too.

 

"Not together, together, if that's what you imply." Tiffany mused.

"Oh, almost there then?"

 

"Yeah, something like, us..." Tiffany replied.

 

"Like what?!!?" Taeyeon could not trust her ears these days.

 

 

"I mean something like THAT. God! Kim Taeyeon, are you having hearing problems now..?"