Spell

Between the Lines

"Gotcha!" Krystal pried open the damn casket like a child opening a gift during Christmas and found their long lost friend with arms crossed and peacefully sleeping.

 

"Affirmative." she smiled at Seohyun who's now intently watching them.

 

Underestimating her strength, Krystal kicked the casket and it flew a few feet over their marble floor, making the said girl roll out of it and groan in pain.

 

"Who dared to wake up the majestic legendary vampire that I-"

"Majestic, legendary.. oh please Seulgi, you have been sleeping for 100 years!" Krystal shouted.

 

"What? What year is it?" Seulgi sat on the floor, rubbing her head and looking lost.

"2015." said Seohyun as she comes over for a hug. "It's good to have you back."

 

"...In tiptop shape and as stupid as before." Krystal added.

 

x

 

"How did you guys found me?" Seulgi asked as she's munching on pizza, much to Seohyun and Krystal's surprise.

 

"Tracked that casket online from some sources. Thanks to Seohyun." Krystal pointed at Seohyun who's now busy watching television.

 

"We thought you’re gone from that battle, but we never lose hope. A hundred years seem short enough." Seohyun deadpanned.

 

"Seulgi, are you not hungry for something else?" Krystal looked at the pizza disgustingly.

"No, I'm fine." Seulgi smiled revealing a pair of tiny fangs as she happily ate the last slice in the box.

 

x

 

6 months later.

Krystal is now desperate as Kang Seulgi eats nothing but pizza, for a legendary vampire that came from ancient family she would be normally craving blood the moment that casket was opened. Now her comrade is nothing but a puppy, though she insists she's just getting her back together because she slept for a long time.

She even tricked live humans to be locked in a room with Seulgi but when they opened the door they found Seulgi laughing and conversing with the said people and knowing more about the modern culture and even pop music references.

Oh, speaking of modern culture, for someone so dumb, Kang Seulgi managed to learn fast about it, even learning the latest fads, in technology, in language and even in the living conditions, she even acquainted herself with internet memes and claimed that Krystal is the real life Hipster Kitty and Honeybadger meme.

In some nights she would drive Seulgi around town for her to fully immerse with the new environment, Seohyun has also been very patient in teaching Seulgi these past months.

 

x

 

"Tell me how did you happen to be locked in that casket?" Seohyun asks her seriously as she now turns off the television, much to Seulgi's dismay as she's enjoying the huge HD display.

"Eh, the last thing I remembered was a spell being casted on me..." Seulgi frowned as she reaches for the remote and turned the TV on again.

 

Pops nae ibane noga naerineun jung

Jantteuk neoheo nae ibane noga naerineun jul

 

Seulgi's eyes are focused on the screen as she watches the group's performance.

"Kids these days.. No?" Seohyun shakes her head and looks at Seulgi but the other girl seems to be lost in trance while watching TV.

 

Baby boy dareun namjadeureun amogeotdo molla

You’re so finehaeseo an twineun otman golla

 

"Yah Seulgi!" she now pokes Seulgi as the girl now has open, expecting drool to come out any minute from it.

Seulgi now slowly turned to her with mischief in her eyes and said: "I am now hungry... and it's not pizza I am craving this time.."

 

Seohyun almost want to praise heavens for bringing the vampire in Seulgi back.

 

x

 

"But we vowed to only drink blood from criminals, oh and the blood bank, if you really want it civilized and !" Krystal wanted to throw a tantrum.

"Her name is Bae Irene! Her name is Bae Irene! Her name is Bae Irene!" Seulgi hopped around with a tablet in hand. "Also this thingis neat, I can Google easily!"

 

"Since when did you know how to Google?!" Krystal asks in fury.

 

"Seohyun taught me? This thing, everything I need to know is in here see. Just swipe and touch. Neat!" 

 

Krystal facepalmed, while Seohyun stood there looking amused as ever, it's like training a child: "So, Bae Irene of Red Velvet huh?"

 

"Yep! Yep!" Seulgi nods excitedly.

 

"I think we need to make an exception this time, if Seulgi wanted Bae Irene to be her first kill after her slumber, then so be it."

 

"Take this credit card, also my tinted car, that will have you covered. Buy a phone if you must." Seohyun instructs Seulgi.

"Do you need us to accompany you?" Krystal asks worriedly.

 

"Nah, I got it!" Seulgi smiled.

 

 

x

 

Wearing a red snapback with a lollipop in , Kang Seulgi lined up for the Red Velvet mini concert.

 

"Do you want to buy some merchandise? Light stick?"

 

"Huh?" Seulgi got confused looking at the stuff but proceeds to buy anyway. Inside the venue, she's now holding a lightstick and has to call Seohyun to ask what to do with it.

 

"Where is she now?!" Krystal asks impatiently.

"Attending the concert." Seohyun pointed at the live broadcast and sees Seulgi among the crowd cheering and even doing fanchants.

 

"What the hell... This is a mistake." Krystal bit her lip.

 

Seulgi went home carrying a bunch of Irene merchandise and Krystal wants to punch her face: "You went there to kill, what are these?!"

 

"Predators must first observe their prey." Seulgi said defensively.

 

"...and do fanchants while at it" Seohyun added

"Yessssssssssssssss." Seulgi smiled and hops away leaving the two bewildered.

 

x

 

"I want to eat you." Irene blinked at what this cute red snapback wearing girl was saying as she signed the album.

"That's a... very vulgar thing to say." Irene laughs but the girl seems serious.

"But I am not kidding, I want to.. ing eat you." Seulgi now looks at her intently but not before being chased away because she's taking too much time in the queue.

 

That's how she first talked to Irene, at a meet and greet.

 

x

 

Months later.

 

"You know Irene, I thought we would never date groupies." Wendy asks her one time as she was preparing on her 'date' with Seulgi.

"It's not a date, we will just be meeting up for coffee."

"Unnie is dating her saesang!" Yeri interrupted the convo.

"A weird saesang."

 

X

 

They were both enjoying the cool breeze while walking at the sidewalks, Irene scooted closer to Seulgi and the younger girl's sight focuses on Irene's neck: "I am a predator and you are my prey, I am the majestic legendary vampire Kang S-"

 

"You were saying something?" Irene asks as she stares at Seulgi.

“I was thinking if we could hang out at your place?" Seulgi scratches her head.

 

x

 

Irene brought Seulgi at the dorm much to the displeasure of the group, they all stared at Seulgi as the latter just grinned.

 

Hours later they heard screams coming out of Irene’s room and they all rushed in, seeing Seulgi throwing tantrums at the floor and Irene comforting her.

“Why can’t I do it?!! I am the majestic legendary vampire Kang Seulgi, why can’t I drink your blood?!” Seulgi is now growling.

“I told you guys she’s a weirdo.” Joy snickered.

Wendy rolled her eyes and scoffs at how this request will sound ridiculous: “Okay, if you’re really a vampire, show us your fangs.”

Seulgi bared her teeth and shown her fangs to the rest.

“Vampire? For real?” Yeri approached Seulgi cautiously.
“Let’s take a selca!” Joy posed with her phone but Seulgi hid behind Irene.

“No, don’t do that.”
“Are vampires scared of cameras?”

“No, I’m just particularly camera shy..”

“For someone who wants to kill me minutes ago, you sure fail at this vampire thing, Seulgi.” Irene remarked.

 

X

 

“You were a legendary vampire who lived hundreds of years ago… and killed millions of people in this period…” Irene said as the group were scrolling through archives.
“Yes, that’s me! See I am camera shy!”
“Seulgi this picture is a just a sketch of you.”
“Portrait shy then… I don’t know…” Seulgi fiddled with her fingers as she looks down.

 

“Then what happened? If you can’t kill then what do you eat?”
“Pizza.”

 

X

 

They were on a Twilight marathon (Yeri’s request!) as Seulgi intently watches the movie. Irene looks at her in wonder, how could this girl be the vicious killer that she claimed she was when she couldn’t even hurt a fly now.

Joy decided to pull a prank by requesting extra garlic to be put on Seulgi’s pizza.

In turn, the vampire smelled the box and frowned: “You guys, how did you know that I love garlic? Thanks for this!” as she proceeds to eat everything.

The next night, Seulgi shows up at the dorm riding her silver Volvo, so she can be like Edward Cullen.

 

“Unnie, you are dating a dumb vampire.”

 

x

“Look at this idiot.” Krystal scoffs as she sees Seulgi sulking while streaming the concert waving her lightstick mindlessly at the screen.


“She can’t watch her girlfriend live, it’s a morning schedule. Sunlight and all.” Seohyun answered in behalf of the sulking vampire.

“So much for wanting her dead.”  
“I don’t think that’s gonna happen.”

x

It was when Irene cut herself with a knife while chopping onions that the rest looks at Seulgi in fear as she rushed towards the older girl.

Your smell, the blood..” Seulgi took Irene’s hand and smells it.
“Seulgi we can stake you right now if you’re planning on something funny.”

“So, no one would get the first aid?” Seulgi frowned at them.
“R-Right. Sorry.”

They never doubted the vampire again after that incident.

X

“Now I remembered why your blood smells familiar…. and why I was mesmerized when I first saw you on TV.” Seulgi gazes at Irene as she was done putting band-aid at her wound.

“Hmm? Why is that?”

“You looked similar to that girl that I like… Unfortunately I didn’t know she’s from a family of shamans, she casted a spell on me before I could even drink all of her blood. I slept for a hundred years!”

 “Some kind of powerful spell huh, she must be really pretty.”
“Yes, she is.”

Irene fought back jealousy as she stood up.

“Hey… have I offended you?”
“No…”

“Look, maybe deep inside it was because I wanted to take revenge because you two look so similar you could pass off as her sister, maybe that’s why I wanted to kill you before, and I am really sorry for that.” Seulgi said in all sincerity.

 

“Do you still want me dead now?” Irene glares at the vampire.

 

“Definitely not. Just letting you know that I am under a different spell now, Irene. One that’s even more powerful that what those shamans have done... You got me under your spell.”