For InfiniteLove_FTJ

INFINITE Secret Santa 2015

Written by: "goldengumiho"

Pairing: Woogyu

Prompt: "Woohyun always thinks that Sunggyu is better than him and no one really need him."

A/N: "Hey there! I hope you enjoy reading my story and I fulfilled your prompt wish in a more or less good way?! Have a very merry Christmas and a wonderful start into the new year~~ (Sorry for any mistakes or bad grammar, English is not my native language)"

 

(Words: 3,220)

 


 

It was a cold morning at the beginning of December and the members were on the way to the company, all wrapped in warm clothes they boarded the van. The air was crisp and slowly the light of day approached. They were all sleepy because their night was quite short, since they were preparing busily for a Christmas stage at the end of the month with altogether four tracks – two dance and two ballad songs. Sungjong was chatting brightly whereas the older members grumpily told him to be quiet as they tried to get a little more sleep in the backseat of the van, even though the way to the company was only about 10-15 minutes when the traffic was not too bad. Only Sunggyu in the front was eying the others, paying attention to Woohyun mostly, as the younger somehow seemed a little off the last days. They knew each other for so long already that Sunggyu could sense if something is going on with his close friend. Surely, there were some members who were closer to each other, but Sunggyu tried to keep everyone at the same distance. Isn’t that something a leader should do?

Over the last year Infinite did pretty well with their new album and they gained various prizes and awards, which was not that important to them, as it was always their music that was essential and they wanted to grow as a team. They had concerts even in Europe and were so surprised and happy that so many people came and enjoyed it. Every city had a special event planned at the end and even Sunggyu, who would never openly admit it, was close to tears at their last concert in Berlin, because of all the love from the fans. He saw some banners with his name and wondered that his voice could even reach that far-away hearts. The world was definitely more than just Korea and Asia and it hit him that their music could reach boarders and was able to spread so far. Behind the stage after saying good bye at their last stage, the first thing he did was embracing Woohyun and without saying a word they held each other. Woohyun had felt Sunggyu’s happiness on stage – the older was smiling brightly all the time and joked around with s, every now and then looking into Woohyun’s also sparkling eyes.

When the oldest embraced him right after getting off the stage he knew it was just Gyu expressing his happiness and he welcomed his still sweaty but nevertheless lovely leader with an even so tight hug, sharing their success of sold-out concert halls even in Europe.

 

Woohyun was in deep thought the last days. They would have a few days off after their world tour and the Christmas promotions and he was asking himself if he really wanted to spend it with his family. They haven’t seen each other for long, but there was something in his heart, a warm feeling that he felt whenever their leader was close to him and somehow he longed for this feeling and wanted to keep it, no, keep HIM close to himself all the time.

 Gyu’s solo made the younger think a lot – Woohyun couldn’t deny it, he was jealous of the older, not because of his looks or personality, come on, he was handsome and good natured too, but because of his opportunities, because of his unique voice that even made him as a singer weak. When he was bored one evening he checked out some live performances of the other and came across his latest cover of Nell’s “Time Walking through Memories” and he was taken aback by himself that his eyes were filled with tears at the end of the song. Sunggyu spoke through his voice in his songs to people on a different level and it was exactly this he envied the older for. He wanted to express the song through his voice too. Of course he knew about the elder’s past and how freaking difficult it was for him to reach this position, but deep down Woohyun felt that the other was way better than him regarding his singing.

One night he was listening to Sunggyu humming and singing some lines from an old love ballad and he couldn’t stop staring while the older was preparing instant noodles for them since they were hungry in the middle of the night. Woohyun started to realize it more - even though he knew from the very beginning when Infinite became a group, well even before during their trainee days - that music was Sunggyu’s life essence. Without it he couldn’t live, like notes and melody were the oxygen he needed to survive.

Maybe this was the difference between them? Woohyun needed to learn how to express his own self, his heart and soul through his songs. He did a good start with his solo song for the album and the collaboration with Shinee’s Key. He knew well that fans demand a vocal sub unit, such as H and F, but for now he knew the management had no plans whatsoever and that was actually ok for him. He enjoyed singing with the others and tried to shine during his solo stages at the concert tour. This time he tried something more into rock and it was well received by his fans which made him so incredibly happy and proud. Some anti fans said he is just going after his hyung, since Gyu loves rock music, but it was him who chose the song and he worked hard on it – though he has to admit Sunggyu helped him a little with the timing, but they enjoyed spending time together after all. They were a good team and there was this good feeling when they were together that they felt both at ease and relaxed, giving encouragement and comfort to the other and sleeping for such a long time in the same room there were (nearly) no secrets between them. Spending so many years together all of them definitely felt like brothers, they grew together into a small family and he could see that especially Sungjong and Myungsoo enjoyed it. It was more like a pack and each of them would walk through fire for the others, Woohyun was sure about that. Sungyeol and Myungsoo sometimes needed time for themselves, but that was ok, they all understood because of all the stress they had to endure due to their busy schedule. They managed all well and Sunggyu is really a good leader for them.

 

Woohyun was sitting with his arms around his legs on the couch in the middle of the night thinking, when Sunggyu came out of their shared bedroom. The older woke up to an empty space next to him and was looking for the younger right away in concern. Woohyun couldn’t sleep and was for a while trying to read without success. Too many things were on his mind. Sunggyu sat next to him and asked if he was alright which answered the vocal with a simple nod and explained that he couldn’t fall asleep which made the older get up to walk into their kitchen. A few minutes later he came back with two steaming mugs of tea and placed one right in front of the younger. “This will help” was all the older said while sitting again next to Woohyun, sipping on his own tea. For a while the living room was quiet and only a small light was illuminating the room, putting it into a warm atmosphere. Nobody said a word and Woohyun traced his thoughts again when the older suddenly placed a warm hand on his shoulder.  

“Hey Woohyun, what’s on your mind? You seem so distracted the last few days. You know, I’m always a patient listener”, he said with searching eyes. When they looked into the depth of each other’s eyes so the younger had to look away and a light shade of pink dusted his cheeks, invisible to the older in the shady light of the dark room. “Nothing hyung, I just have a lot on my mind, nothing that you need to worry about.” With that the blonde wanted to get up to avoid such confrontation with the oldest of the group, especially it was him - the kind of problem that he was under such emotional stress. Sunggyu wrapped his hand around the others wrist to keep him in place.

“Listen please, I know you too have been under a lot of stress because of our first part of the world tour, we all are exhausted, but if you need a little break I ask you seriously to tell me. It is not something to brush off, Hyun. I am honestly worried about you.” Woohyun blinked a few times, but didn’t turn his head to face the leader. “You don’t need to worry hyung; I’m fine, just a little troubled about family and Christmas. Nothing more, really.” the younger said in a warm tone and Sunggyu let the younger go, but instead of letting him be, he stood up himself and dragged the other into the hall and said in a hushed voice. “You know what; since I can’t sleep either without you by my side, let’s go for a walk.” Woohyun knew there was no way in turning the leader down, since he was damn stubborn and if he wanted to have a late night walk, they will have one.

 

The wind was icy against their cheeks, but they wore warm clothes and walked close to each other into the direction of the nearest park, which was about five minutes from their dorm. At this hour of the night and this time of the year even their Sasaeng fans had given up stalking them and they could walk freely wherever they wanted. When Woohyun was shaking, the older placed his arm around the younger’s shoulders. With every breath a little cloud emerged in front of their face while the last dry leaves were blown into the cold night air, as if dancing to the rhythm of nature. They entered the park and the rattling of the branches and the wind through the high grass made music for their lonely ears. The only light were a few streetlamps and the nearly full moon watching over them from the dark night sky, accompanied by far away stars blinking brightly.

Sunggyu looked up at the sky, his eyes becoming teary because of the cold wind and slowly his hand left the younger’s shoulder and wrapped itself around the other’s cool hand. They stood like that for a little while until Woohyun said “Hyung” and interrupted the older’s dreamy state. “Oh, I’m sorry; I just got a little carried away by the beauty of the night haha.” Was all he said and he continued to walk, forcing the younger to follow. With a little chit chat they talked about Sunggyu’s plan for Christmas. Surely, he would visit his family and meet some old friends – there was no space for Woohyun, how stupid to think of having a place in his hyung’s heart. He was a fool, so he kept his mouth shut and listened to the older’s voice he so much adored. Maybe he wasn’t jealous, maybe he was simply in love with his voice? Like so many other fans. Was he one of Sunggyu’s fanboys? He asked himself and giggled right into his fluffy scarf. But why was his heart beating so fast as the other took his hand and every time the other squeezed it his heart stopped for a little moment and kept on banging against his chest. Woohyun was not sure if he wanted to take away his hand or intertwine their fingers even more, never letting his leader go again. Yes he was frustrated and it was the elder’s fault.

“Let’s head back, we shouldn’t look too tired tomorrow, we have the Showtime filming and the radio show in the evening.” the leader said and after a while walking through the dimly lit pathways of the park they were on their way back to the dorm. Their head a little cleared and tired from the chilly air.

While Sunggyu was cleaning up the cups, Woohyun climbed into his pajamas and slid under the blanket. Soon the oldest walked in, undressed and climbed with his boxers and his tight t-shirt under his own blanket after turning off the lights. Both of them didn’t fall asleep right away, but they stared at the ceiling and wall, deep in thought, everyone in his own world, tracing their own thoughts, until their eyes became heavy and sleep took over.

 

The days passed by quickly and after their final show they had their yearly company Christmas party at a small Korean restaurant. It was a tradition that the CEO would invite all of them to a big dinner a few days before Christmas Eve. The decoration was nice, the food delicious and the members could finally relax a little after their hectic December schedule. No, they couldn’t wrap up the whole year already because of the Gayo Daejun stage they still had to perfection, but at least for one night and one day they were off.  That means the older members were allowed to drink together and spend their time with their seniors. The younger ones, Sungjong especially, were hanging out with the younger trainees and girl group members, who were not drinking.

The atmosphere was lively and they ended up singing karaoke and dancing with the managers and the CEO. Old stories were told, for example that it was a tradition in the past to have a Secret Santa mission running in the office, but due to the popularity of Infinite and their busy schedules there was no time for that anymore and before the good mood dropped, the CEO made a toast, his glass of champagne held up in the air and praising his talented and hard-working employees, looking each of the members right into their eyes and they answered with a nod of their head and a huge smile.

At times like these Sunggyu was really happy to have ended up in this company and not in another one, especially not in one of these idol-factory ones which treated their artists like , so it warmed his heart that he had s and this boss.

The next announcement was made by one of their producer hyungs, one of the main ones they were on a very good friendship term with and what he told the group made Woohyun’s heart stop for a second. When he looked over to his leader he received a cheeky grin and met glistering eyes. Woohyun thought to himself how freaking adorable his elder looked with rosy cheeks from the alcohol and shining eyes, smiling back at him, which brought him teary eyes. A friendly slap on his back from Dongwoo and a cheerful cry from Hoya into his direction let him snap out of his trance.

He still couldn’t believe it, the vocal line, say him and Gyu, were receiving their own song to sing. It was a special present and thank you from the company. It would be something dreamy and would be out at the beginning of the coming year – probably around spring time. He was still shocked – he was granted a song with Sunggyu – just the two of them – a duet. This what he was dreaming of for so long and even fans were waiting sooo long for a vocal subgroup, so this might be the beginning of something new? They kept on cheering and dancing and the music was ringing loudly in Woohyun’s ears when he stumbled over to his boss, thanking him with a handshake, a deep bow and all the CEO did was giving him a hug and pushing him into the direction of Sunggyu.

Gyu was the one who grabbed his wrist, dragging him out of the loud, stuffy room into the cool night air. Once again he was alone with him, breathing deeply, blushing as he looked up into the older’s eyes, who were staring at him like trying to memorize every inch of the blond singer.

“What do you think? You’re overwhelmed too, right?” Sunggyu said in a hushed voice and dragged him a little further down the street into a dark spot in front of a window of an interior shop, which was illuminated only a little bit by a beautiful little star light-chain. When Woohyun looked up he held his breath, not because it started snowing, but because right over them stuck to the top of the shop window was a branch of mistletoe and all he could do is laugh discomfited as the older moved closer to him to make them both stand under the bunch. “What’s wrong Woohyun, you do not think that I will kiss you, right?” the older teased, but leaned in nevertheless. Woohyun’s heart raced at a painful speed and butterflies were emerging out of nowhere in his stomach. His cheeks blushed even darker and as Sunggyu was so close he could smell the smoke on his clothes and his breath sweet with alcohol. When the leader was only a centimeter away from his mouth that he could feel his warm breath against his lips, he turned his face embarrassed to the side to look into the shop window. Only to see their reflection in the glass and feel that Sunggyu was embracing him tight. Was he dreaming? “Thank you for being here. Thank you for always giving me strength. Thank you for cheering me up always, Hyun. I’m very sorry to never really have said it out loud. I really need you, honestly! I need you every day and I felt pretty lonely during all my solo promotions. Without you guys it was not much fun.” The singer admitted to the younger.

After a moment of silence which Woohyun needed to let his brain take in all the older said, he simply hugged him back even tighter and let out his heart to his idol, finally admitting his uneasiness. “Hyung, I feel so small next to you…” the younger whispered into the silence of the street.  

Even in his tipsy state Sunggyu understood right away that this most probably was the reason the younger was so distracted the last weeks. But, how could he think that way? And before the blond idol could say another word the older spoke quickly: “Don’t ever say that Woohyun! From the deepest of my heart, don’t you already know that without you, there would be no me? There would be no Infinite? Aren’t we a vocal team? We need each other to be perfect. Being given a song together makes me so happy, so proud. I can’t even express my happiness right now.” The leader said with teary eyes and placed a small kiss on the younger’s forehead, taking him by surprise.

“Let’s stay together for a loooong time, mkay?” Sunggyu smiled happily and dragged the stunned, but grinning Woohyun back to their members to enjoy themselves at least for now before a new, even better year would start.   

 


 

admin's note: we always know how insecure woohyun can be and you potrayed it so well. sunggyu is doing a very great job as a leader. he is the best indeed. thank you for the hard work (soundsecret)