For Chirping

INFINITE Secret Santa 2015

Written by: "blue_agent"

Pairing: Woogyu

Prompt: "Honestly, distance doesn't really matter because we're looking at the same sky and the same moon anyway"

(Words: 4,067)


Author's Note: Honestly, this story took me a long time to finish. I’ve never had angst, horror and comedy in the same story before. From changing plot to correcting mistakes, jumping from angst to horror to comedy. Finally! I’m satisfied with the plot. And I do hope you guys liked it. But there are quite a lot of sad parts so... hehe^^. To whoever you are that I’m writing for, I hope you’ll like it. Sincerely, blue_agent. <---


 

Winter is here and Christmas is near. The side walk is covered with the result of the first snow just minutes ago. It was late. People were rushing back home to their families and love ones. Traffic is slowly starting to fade and so were the people. Shops were closed and the sky has turned into a deep shade of blue. Slowly the people were all gone, leaving the street bare of any sign of living.

 

Apart from one person.

 

He was walking slowly, not seeming to mind the fact that it was already late. He was walking with his head cast downwards, occasionally kicking the snow that got in his way. A light breeze blew past him, causing him to shudder at the coldness of it. He pulled the red scarf around his neck higher before grabbing the edge of his long black coat and wrapped it around himself tighter.

 

Keeping his slow pace, he walked until the familiar sight of the park greeted him. It was empty and quite dark, only illuminated by a few street lights here and there. Releasing a cold breath, he walked over to a bench and sat on it. Glad that the seat was without any major traces of snow. Tilting his head up for the first time since he started his walking, he just started straight ahead.

 

It was like that for half an hour, sitting and staring ahead. That was until he let out a small sad smile. Relishing the memory of his first snow together with a special someone.

 

 

 

 

Laughter was heard all around the fairly crowded park. It was snowing lightly with the chilly wind caressing everything in sight.

 

There were families and couples present. With children playing snowball fight, building snowman and catching flakes. With Parents conversing or keeping an eye out for their child. And with couples strolling while holding hands. Though doing different task, they all have one thing in common.

 

Joy.

 

The joy that reflected through their eyes. The laughter that brings out the joy in their emotions. The joy that makes everybody around it happy.

 

Especially the couple under the huge, snow-covered tree. They were rolling in the snow, tackling each other playfully. They looked the happiest amongst all the others in the park.

 

“Gyu~ Come back. I promise I won-” The younger of the two got cut off by a snowball hitting him in the face.

 

“Yah! Kim Sunggyu! You sly hamster. Just wait till I get you.” Laughter was heard as Sunggyu ran and hid behind the tree. He cautiously looked behind the tree a bit, relieved to see that the other still has no clue on where he is.

 

He smiled and let out a pant from the all the running he did. Leaning back slightly against the tree, he turned his head to look behind the tree. When he deemed it safe, he ran out of his hiding place to look for another.

 

“Ahh! Hyunnie, let me go!” Sunggyu yelped in surprise as a pair of strong familiar hand circled around his waist from the back before lifting him off the ground. A hearty laugh rang beside his ear as Woohyun set him down, his hands still rest around Sunggyu’s waist loosely.

 

“Caught you, my little hamster.” Woohyun whispered in his ear causing him to blush a light hue of pink. Irritated by the teasing, Sunggyu turned around and hit the younger’s chest repeatedly, erupting a soft chuckle out of the other. It was amusing for him since the hits he received are not even close to being painful.

 

“Okay, okay. Lay down on the teasing, I get it. You can stop hitting me now. Not that it hurt.” That causing Sunggyu to stop his action and jut his lower lip out in disagreement.

Another chuckle resounded before Woohyun leaned in and kissed those pouty lips away.

 

Without giving the other enough time to process what happened, Woohyun entangled his fingers with Sunggyu’s before pulling him towards an unoccupied bench in the middle of the park. Pulling the elder to sit next to him, he pulled out a small, nicely wrapped velvet coloured box out of his long grey winter coat.

 

“W-woohyun... Are you.. A-are y-you gonna...?” Sunggyu stuttered nervously with his eyes trained on the small box in the other’s hand. Woohyun didn’t reply, only smiling at him.

 

“Gyu, I know you don’t like me buying things for you. But this is a special case since-” Woohyun didn’t get to finish his words as Sunggyu jumped on the him, arms wrapped tightly around the younger’s neck. An excited yes sounded beside his ear. It took a moment for the yes to process in Woohyun’s brain. When it did, he laughed like a madman, hands fall onto Sunggyu’s hip with his head threw back in laughter.

 

Now it was Sunggyu’s time to be confused. He tilted his head to a side cutely while watching Woohyun laugh. A confused expression was clearly portrayed in the elder’s face as the younger continued to laugh.

 

By the time Woohyun was done laughing, Sunggyu was already seated back beside him. He let out pants from laughing so much while clutching his stomach that was hurting from it.

 

He turned to Sunggyu and said in a teasing tone, “You thought I was proposing, didn’t you?” Sunggyu looked embarrassed for a second before it turned into a sad expression.

 

“So, you were not? Oh... Sorry for misunderstanding your intentions.” The mood went from cheerful to dejected in seconds as the silence was starting to get awkward.

 

“Hey, there’s no need for you to be apologizing. It’s fine, but you were close. I would have thought the same if our rolls were switched. Here, look.” Woohyun broke the dreadful silence and uncovered the small box.

 

A small snowflake shaped necklace laid there, shining and sparkling from the reflect of the sun rays on the silver.

 

“I wanted you to have this. It’s a promise for me to propose. For now, a necklace will do. The next time you see a box like this, it’s a sparkling ring in it, instead of a shining necklace.” The words hit Sunggyu like a storm as waves of tears flowed out the his small eyes. He hugged the other and he gladly returned the hug.

 

Words needed not to be exchanged as they both knew that there will definitely be a next time.

 

 

 

Or so they thought.

 

 

 

 

 

The door to the house opened with a small creak. A man stepped in and closed the door, cutting off the chilly wind that rushed in when the door was opened. He stepped out of his snow covered boots and carefully put them aside, trying to make it as quiet as possible.

 

Alas, it was futile.

 

“You’re late.” Sunggyu winced at the anger that was showed in his voice. It was already an hour past midnight and he just got home. Time past by quickly when you’re not paying attention to it. He spent two full hours at the park, sitting down and staring into space. Relishing in the past memories that was born in that specific park.

 

“Where were you?” The other stood up from the couch and went over to Sunggyu who was still standing by the doorstep. As the man got more and more closer to him, the more tense Sunggyu felt as he finally stood to a stop in front of him.

 

“I asked you a question Gyu. I expect an answer.” The eyes that were sternly staring into his own turned into a harsh glare. Sunggyu flinched and lowered his head before answering, “I stayed over time in the office and went to the park before coming back.”

 

The soft, timid voice softened the glare and distinguished the anger the man held. He sighed as he used both hands to lightly grab a hold of Sunggyu’s wrists. He pecked those soft, pink lips tenderly before saying, “Hey.. I’m sorry for getting angry at you. I was just worried cause you were supposed to be home by eight. And you wouldn’t answer my calls.”

 

Sunggyu looked up and locked his eyes with him. Hurt flashed through Sunggyu’s eyes before it disappeared as quickly as it came.

 

“It’s fine. Sorry for worrying you. Go to sleep Hyun, it’s late.” Woohyun flashed him a small smile and disappeared into their shared bedroom. But not before giving him a soft kiss on the lips.

 

The bedroom door slam closed, leaving Sunggyu standing alone in the dark, silent hallway. Well, that went better than he expected it to be. Usually, he wouldn’t have to deal with these kind of problems since the younger mostly returned home after him,

 

Drunk.

 

He changed. He was not the sweet, greasy Nam Woohyun people used to know. To him maybe. But not to Sunggyu.

 

In some occasions where the younger return home not drunk out of his mind, meant he spent his time with him. Sunggyu shuddered at that.

 

Deciding not to think much about that person, he walked down the deserted hallway and made his way into the guest bedroom. Sunggyu had stopped sleeping in his and Woohyun’s shared bedroom since... Since the threats came.

 

Woohyun had questioned why he rather sleep in the guest bedroom instead of their shared one. All he got for an answer is that he rolled around in his sleep to much and snored too loudly. The younger had strongly protested against that and Sunggyu knew that what the younger had protested was right.

 

It was right all along.

 

But Sunggyu didn’t want the younger to be suspicious so he stood strong in his ground and demanded the Woohyun to let him move to the other bedroom. Woohyun could do nothing at that since the older was extremely stubborn.

 

Sunggyu went into the bathroom and showered. He came out in a pair of sweats and white plain shirt. The exhaustion from work and emotions altogether took a toll out of his body as he slept soundly when his head hit the fluffy pillow.

 

 

 

 

 

Cutting breeze flowed around that whole room. Sunggyu shivered under the thick duvet, pulling it tighter around his body as he tried to block out the chilly air. The coldness in the room shook him awake as he grumbled incoherently.

 

‘Weird... It was warm just a few moments ago. Did the heater brake?’ He thought as another gush of icy breeze hit him under the comfort of his ‘safe heaven’ as he called it.

 

He sighed tossed and turned in the large bed, trying to find a comfortable position that would help him sleep through the cold.

 

It was then when his ears picked up the soft thudding of footstep. He furrowed his brows slightly and the footsteps abruptly stopped. Fear clouded his mind as his eyes shot open.

 

Nothing.

 

The curtains along with the window were wide opened. A soft glow emitted from the moonlight as it shone it’s way into the room. Something’s wrong.

 

Something is definitely wrong.

 

They were closed when he went to bed. He could’ve sworn that they were closed before he slept. But now it was wide open. Fear and anxiety continued clouding his mind as he sat up and scanned the room.

 

Nothing.

 

Seconds past yet still nothing. The room was spotless and bare of anything unusual. He untangled his legs from the bed sheet and made a move to get out of the bed when he was slammed back down onto his bed. The sudden move knocked the breath out of him and the strong grip on his throat added to his difficulty in breathing.

 

A strangled whimper escaped from Sunggyu’s throat as he struggled to pry the hands off of him. The agonizing grip the man had did not flattered one bit even as Sunggyu hit and punch as hard as he could in a weak attempt to escape. But that was not saying much since one of his major life force is being cut off.

 

His vision got blurred as tears threatened to escape. The fight he put to hold on to his life got weaker and weaker, until it stopped. Sunggyu stopped his struggles and just laid there accepting his fate. He was going to die, he knew it. Just as he was about a hand away from death itself, the grip on his throat was lost.

 

He gasped and took this chance to throw the man off him. He seriously thought he was going to die and he accepted it, even though his mind kept yelling at him to fight. Turning his head abruptly to the side, his eyes widen when the moonlight bask on his face and revealed his true identity.

 

Lee Sungyeol

 

Tears fell out of his eyes as the fear he once held transforms into anger. The eyes that were once clouded with tears turned into a harsh glare. Lee Sungyeol. Woohyun’s best friend. The one who had been continuously sending malicious threat to him. Or should he say, the one who made Woohyun cheat on Sunggyu.

 

“Aww.. Is the boyfriend angry? Don’t worry, I can’t kill you just yet. Not when Hyunnie still loves you.” Sungyeol cooed in sickeningly sweet voice. A smirk was plastered on his face.

 

“What do you want Sungyeol. Aren’t the threats enough? What kind of sick twisted game are you playing?!” Sunggyu held malice in his voice as he spoke. He was not yelling as to not wake up the sleeping male a few rooms down, but his tone clearly showed how angry he was. Beyond angry.

 

The other tipped his head back and laughed. And in a split second, Sunggyu was back on the bed with his both his wrists pinned above his head. He growled at the vulnerable position he’s in but the other ignored it. Sungyeol stared deep into his soul as a sadistic glint was seen beneath all the other emotions he held.

 

“Oh, if only you knew Gyu. It’s not a game anymore. It was never a game since you started going out with Hyun. He was supposed to be MINE, not yours. And now, he’s slowly but gradually coming back to me.” He smirked and leaned in closer before continuing,

 

“Don’t think that I let you live cause I don’t want you to die. Do not ever think like that. I will kill you, after I see you crumble from watching your boyfriend turn to me instead of the pathetic little you.” Sunggyu couldn’t handle it anymore, the heartbreak from imagining all of that really happening, it was unbearable.

 

Taking a deep shaky breath, he screamed. He screamed and yelled and thrash around while the guy on top looked at him with wide eyes. Sungyeol tried using his hands to cover Sunggyu’s mouth, trying to stop the other from screaming but it was useless.

 

Sunggyu continued screaming and the door suddenly burst open, revealing a wide eyed Woohyun standing by the doorway. He wasn’t there for long as he rushed to Sunggyu’s side and embraced the crying male.

 

“Gyu! What’s wrong?! Why are you screaming?!” Woohyun gushed as he held a shaking Sunggyu in his arms. Sobs wrecked through Sunggyu as he buried his head on the crook of the younger’s shoulder. Woohyun rubbed the other’s back soothingly as he whispered sweet nothing’s into his ear.

 

“H-hyun... H-he was h-here.. S-sung-yeol... H-he was here.” Sunggyu stuttered through his words as he leaned into more of Woohyun’s touch. The soothing circles on his back stopped abruptly as well as the sweet nothings that were being whispered into his ear. Woohyun was the one to pull back as he looked disbelievingly at Sunggyu.

 

“Gyu, you were having a nightmare. Sungyeol’s not here. He can’t be here at this time of the night.” Woohyun said gently, as if Sunggyu was an easily provoked beast.

 

“B-but he was h-here! The w-window was opened an-” Sunggyu looked over to the window and stopped mid-sentence. It can’t be.

 

The window is closed, so is the curtains.

 

“Gyu, it was just a nightmare. Go back to bed, kay? I’ll stay here with you.” Woohyun said as he pulled the stilled Sunggyu under the covers. He wrapped his arms around Sunggyu’s slender frame and went back to sleep with a wide awake Sunggyu tuck under his arms.

 

It can’t be! It happened and Sunggyu was so sure that it all really did happen.

 

When Woohyun was fast asleep, Sunggyu got out of the warm embrace and head for the bathroom. He looked himself in the mirror and sighed at his tear stricken face. He twisted the tap with trembling hands and wash his face. Just as he was about to return to the comfort of his boyfriend, something caught his eyes.

 

Red hand prints were shown on his neck. He gasped lightly as reality hit him in the face. It was not a nightmare like Woohyun had said it was.

 

It was real.

 

 

 

 

 

It was late in the afternoon and Sunggyu was sitting on his bed, laptop on his side and reading through a piece of paper. Woohyun left for work earlier today and Sunggyu was dismissed since there was an emergency in the office where they were required to clear out all the staffs.

 

Sunggyu sat on the bed as he stared at the piece of paper for ages. More like stared at the words on that piece of paper for ages. He was silent when he took a small key from is wallet and unlock the top drawer of his night stand. Papers were neatly stacked inside the drawer. The one that he was holding just moments ago took its place on top of the other before the drawer slid to a shut. Those papers were not empty of word. They were instead filled with words, words of threat. Words like,

 

Woohyun was out with me just now. He seems so happy with me don’t you think. Why don’t you leave him alone. He’s happier with me than with you.

 

Stop sleeping in the same bed as him, you don’t deserve to. Stop or else. Well, you know I don’t go back on my words.

 

Leave him. Oh never mind. I’ll make him leave you.

 

And the latest one that he found taped to his window this morning.

 

You and I both know that it was not a nightmare. I told you not to sleep in the same bed as him, yet you defied me. I told you, I’m a man of my words. So, beware.

 

 

 

 

 

One week later

 

 

Sunggyu looked around the now fairly empty room. His emotions were a blur. He does not know what happen after this. Would Woohyun be sad? Would he miss him? Questions float around his head as unshed tears held onto his eyes.

 

This was the home where countless of memories were made. Happy, sad, even embarrassing ones. He’s going to miss this so much. 

 

He released a shaky sigh and went towards the front door, a massive luggage following behind him.

 

He stopped when he reached the front door. Taking one last look at the house they’ve worked hard to achieve, he turned back to the door and quiveringly took the door handle into his hands. Giving it a tug, the door opened and out he stepped as the door closed behind them. He walked to the cab that was waiting at the porch while a lone tear slipped its way out of its home.

 

One was followed by two and it went on to waves of tears as he got on the cab and headed towards the airport. The house got further and further away as the cab ascends to the road until it disappeared out of sight when the cab rounded a corner.

 

‘Goodbye, Hyunnie.’

 

 

 

 

 

“Gyu, I’m home.” Woohyun yelled into the empty house. He raised a brow and frown when only silence greeted him back from work.

 

“Gyu? Are you home?” He yelled again. Still there was no answer. Finding it odd, he went to the guest bedroom thinking that Sunggyu was there resting. He opened the door and his frown deepened when he noticed that it was empty.

 

Too empty.

 

Worry immediately washed over him as he hurried to the closet to find it void of an clothes. The bathroom was not much better. The whole room was just void of Sunggyu.

 

He looked around and spotted a neatly folded paper with his name on it, along with a small key laying beside it. He sat on the bed and unfolded the paper, reading through it carefully. Tears dripped onto the paper joining the ones that were already there when he opened it. He cried that day, he was not trying to hold back as sobs and sniffles resounded through the walls of the room.

 

He picked up his phone with shaky hands and dialled the familiar number.

 

“The person you’re calling is unavailable. Please leave a message after the beep.” The automatic sound came through followed shortly by the beep.

 

“Hey, Gyu. I hope you get this. I’m sorry. I’m sorry for what I’ve done, for not believing in you, for cheating on you, everything. I realized just how much you mean to me Gyu. And now that you’ve left... I can’t. I’ll do what you’ve pleaded me to. I’ll wait for you Gyu. I’ll wait for you to come back. I love you and I know you’ll come back to me Gyu. Even if you don’t... I’ll never stop waiting for you Gyu. The door is always open for you so please... I hope you’re okay and fine wherever you are. Just know that I’ll only love you and you only.” Woohyun poured his heart out before ending the call.

 

‘I’ll wait for you Gyu. I love you.’ He thought before drifting off the slumber as all the crying took a toll on him.

 

Dear Hyunnie,

 

If you’re reading this then you’re probably wondering where I am. You are wondering, aren’t you? Well I hope you are. Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that I left. I left when you were at work.

 

To be honest, it breaks my heart to be writing this while you’re asleep a few rooms down, clearly not knowing anything. I can’t handle it anymore Hyun. It hurts. It hurts so damn much to see you cheating on me with Sungyeol.

 

You’re surprised that I knew didn’t you. I knew all along Hyun. I didn’t need the threats Sungyeol sent to know. It hurts when you came home at night drunk and smelling like Sungyeol. I knew you didn’t mean it. You were drunk. I knew you guys never went anything beyond kissing but it still hurts knowing that the person you should be kissing was me, not him.

 

The key. The small key beside the paper is the key to the top drawer of the night stand. I’m not gonna sugarcoat my words anymore Hyun. I’ve been doing that all these time but you didn’t suspect anything. The drawer holds the threats Sungyeol sent to me occasionally. You can chose to believe me or not to. I’m not forcing you to believe me. But if you do, please... help Sungyeol. He needs help Hyun. Please do that for me.

 

One thing that I also wanted to clear out is that the night I had a ‘nightmare’ and claimed Sungyeol was here in the bedroom, it was real. The hand prints on my neck proved it to be real. You didn’t know till now cause I hid it with make-up and high collar shirts.

 

I’m not telling you all this for you to hate him Hyun, it’s for you to help him. I may never come back, never return to your side and cuddle the day away, never packing you bags for business trips, never feel your kisses again. I may never see you again.

 

You don’t have to find me Hyun. Just let me go. If I do happen to come back, I hope to see that you’re happily living your life, with or without a partner by your side.

 

Hyun, I love you and I’ll never stop loving you. Because honestly, distance doesn't really matter because we're looking at the same sky and the same moon anyway.

 

Goodbye, Woohyun.

 

Sincerely,

your love, Sunggyu.


Admin Note: This is so sad *cries* - Myungjhejhe