018

도망자 : 플랜 X (Fugitives : Plan X)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Namjoon."

The owner of the voice and the gun smiled.

"Move over here slowly." Namjoon beckoned her over to the dark corridor. Stunned, Jungmi took a few moments to interpret his words before finally followed the order. With his gun still pointing at her, Namjoon stepped over and trailed behind her. When he was sure that they were out of the sight, he lightly tapped the girl's shoulder and motioned her to stop.

"The CCTVs won't spot us here. It's a dead spot." Namjoon lowered his gun down and placed it back in its holster. Jungmi nodded and stared at the young man in front of her. How long has it been since she last saw Namjoon? One week? Or was it two? The prominent cheekbones clearly showed on his face and the unkempt tiny hairs that grew around his chin told her that he must have suffered quite a bit in the jail.

Jungmi eyed him from head to toe. She frowned, "How did you manage to get out of the jail? It can't be that my father let you out, can it?"

"Do I look like I was let out of the jail?" Namjoon threw the question back and Jungmi shook her head immediately. No way her father would let Namjoon off that easily. Her lips formed a thin line as she replied, "Jailbreaking is not a good record, you know." She crossed her arms and gave Namjoon a stern look. The latter merely walked towards her and swung an arm over her shoulders, dragging her nearer to him as he replied with a shrug, "Well, as long as you keep your promise, there won't be any bad records in the police files about BTS Investigator Team after we found the Death Note and got the culprit, isn't it?"

Jungmi slapped his arm around her off, earning a smirk from Namjoon as he continued, "So there's no harm done in adding another bad record since it's not going to be there in the future, is there?" Seeing there was no reply from the girl, Namjoon dropped his voice low and gave Jungmi a serious look, "You still remember our deal, yes?"

"Yes." Jungmi gave him a firm look. "It's after all, the deal that earns me your trust to enter this team when we first met."

 

Namjoon had dragged Jungmi out of their office privately in the middle of the night when they first met. He hadn't said much during the face off during the day but even though he agreed to let her in the team, he still couldn't trust the girl. She was too young, too arrogant, too full of herself but those weren't the reasons he dragged her out now. They had gone down the elevator and reached the ground floor of the apartment. He needed absolute privacy and the deserted ground floor without any passer-by and out of the range of hearing of his fellow teammates provided the ideal place for him to confront Jungmi.

"Speak, I know for a fact that you didn't just join us for fun." He stuffed his hands in his pockets and leaned on the wall. It was painted in lime green and together with the dim spotlight above their heads, the whole place gave off a warm and welcoming vibe which contradicted to Namjoon's voice which was cold and full of hostile.

Different from the bright and cheerful attitude earlier in the day, Jungmi had the same cold expression as Namjoon had as she took a step nearer. She never planned to trick the leader of this team from the start, knowing full well that Namjoon wasn't the brainless type of leader like most of the other groups in the black market.

"My real name is Yoo Jungmi," She sat on the small brown couch opposite where Namjoon stood, "my dad is Yoo Wonshik, the police officer that's been chasing after you guys for awhile now." She looked up from her hands to see Namjoon quirking a brow and admitted, "You will believe me after this and trust me, this is going to be a long story." She patted the empty spot beside her but Namjoon insisted on standing, so she proceeded nonetheless.

Jungmi told the leader about her brother, how her father had suspected his own son possessed the Death Note due to the explosion in her brother's office and how he had to run into hiding. "That's where I come in." She paused, observing Namjoon in silence. "My brother and I, we've been each others' pillars of support after my mom passed away and father's always busy with work. I know that my brother does not have the note, and so I've gone undercover as one of Taekwang's follower to get more information as to the note's whereabouts."

"That's how you knew the note went missing?" Namjoon asked.

"Yes."

"Then how did you know our real names?" What Jungmi didn't know was that this was Namjoon's real concern. If she knew it from her father, then the police knew more about them than he had imagined and that was bad news to them. He would have to ask Yoongi to do something about it if that was the case. But fortunately, it wasn't.

"I kinda know it from Jimin," A soft laughter emitted from Jungmi, causing the atmosphere to become less tension as she continued, "he's really talented in his field of expertise, I'm sure you know this."

"He told you about us?" Namjoon barely realized that his voice had gone a pitch higher as he asked.

"No, he didn't, but look at this." Jungmi swiped over the screen of her handphone and clicked into a photo before handing the phone to Namjoon. Curious, Namjoon bent and turn his head to have a better look. On the screen was an enlarged photo of an artwork, one that looked as if it was worth millions of dollars. Namjoon was about to ask what was wrong when his eyes fixed on the two tiny veins of the greenish leaves of the small plant planted in the antique vase pointed by Jungmi that looked suspiciously like two initials in the piece of art. 지민.

"I believe that you remember this piece of art from your previous task?" Jungmi pulled her phone back and placed it back in her pockets. She crossed her fingers on her lap and looked at the guy in front of her expectantly.

Namjoon sighed, "How can I forget? It's the finest piece of forged art I've ever seen in my entire life." He could even remember as clear as the daylight how everyone in the team gasped and complimented Jimin when they saw how gifted he was at forging arts. Even Yoongi who usually had a lot to say about the younger boy admired the work without a word.

"I believed he must have wanted to credit himself so badly that he left his initials this way. It's always a pity if you are unable to claim something you created, especially when it is such a magnificent artwork, don't you think?" Jungmi paused, giving Namjoon some time to digest her words before continued, "From there, I traced back his past and dug Hoseok up, by accident. The fire that burnt down the circus that his family was in was quite the big news in the media a long time ago and that's how I know his name, though I only found out that he joined your team recently." She added.

Jungmi paused, eyes still fixed on Namjoon's features as she waited for the man to speak. Deep down in her heart, she prayed that he would not press on the question any further because although she knew some of their names, she definitely did not know Taehyung,  Seokjin, and Yoongi until they met earlier in the office. At the same time, how she know Namjoon's real name was also something she would like to avoid being asked at all cost. "And you could say that Jungkook's kind of an acquaintance of mine in the past, so...that's how I connect the pieces of the puzzle and found out about your real names." She added again when Namjoon had remained silent. 

"So, let me get this straight. You joined our team because you want to clear your brother's name? So that he can go back to his normal life?" Jungmi almost sighed in relief to hear the man's voice as she gave him a quick nod. The deafening silence a moment ago had been really suffocating and she was glad when Namjoon finally spoke.

"And what's your plan after that? Assuming that the note was indeed missing and we've found it?"

Her eyes turned into crescents as she replied with a smile, "I'll leave the group. In addition, I will help erase all the previous records of your team, leaving no trails of this team in the police database."

Namjoon's dimples shown as he too, smiled, "Then it's a deal."

 

"Good," Namjoon tried to wink but failed which somehow broke a smile on Jungmi's face. She folded her arms across her chest, both of them sitting on the floor. She had wanted to ask why how he knew she was there, but a different question came out instead, "Why are you here?" 

"I followed you guys," Namjoon said in a low tone. He told Jungmi that he had wanted to go to their office when he escaped from the jail but when he reached there, he saw that the whole area was surrounded by police. Unable to enter the office without getting noticed, he had been wandering around in the nearby area and had spotted them when their car entered the parking lot. "I was going to warn you all but one of the cops suddenly appeared and blocked my way. I saw you and Taehyung went upstairs and also everything that happened after that."

"So you followed us to the hotel too?"

"Yes," Namjoon paused, "But I have no idea why you left Taehyung and went over to the patient room back there. Mind telling me?" Jungmi stared at the boy across her long and hard. She was wondering why she hadn't realized that they had been followed by someone the whole time from the moment they stepped out of the hotel and on the way to the hospital. Namjoon had said it himself that he had been following them the whole time and neither Taehyung nor herself had sensed him. Jungmi considered herself a pretty observant person and if she couldn't even sense Namjoon, she doubted the rest of his targets would. At this rate, she could even imagine how surprised Namjoon's targets would look like when the man appeared without a notice in front of them and took their lives with a simple pull of the trigger.

Jungmi realized that Namjoon was still waiting for her answer. She did not know whether Namjoon had seen Jiho back in the room or not but she still answered truthfully, "I saw Jiho in the room. And I've found out his real identity."

"Then who is he?"

Jungmi whispered into Namjoon's ear and surprise fla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter