Chapter 22

Unexpected Love

Kim Woo Bin's POV

One of the simplest missions I have ever had: catch a guy. You know where he is, you know what he's going to do, you have everything you need. Easy, right?

Wrong.

Why, you may ask? Because when I check my men, I remember how he used to do it. When I look back to see the police cars, I remember when he used to come home, getting out from one of those. I didn't have these feelings since my first missions, when I was still obsessed with dad's death. That was the start. Now it's the end.

Three black cars are getting closer. Why just tree? He couldn't come with so few people.

"Be ready. More cars may come any minute." I say

"Yes, sir"

Everything is ready. She's safe. I'm waiting. 

I think again about her. I want her to be here, but I have to keep her safe. She's so brave, so stubborn, that she gets herself in the craziest situations, but always manages to save herself. I love that about her. I love her.

One of those might be his car. I have nothing to lose, anyway.

"Now!" I order, and everybody is leaving thier hideaway. I run to the second car, where he uses to be. The man in the passenger seat tries to shot me, but I avoid it. Meanwhile, the dirver got out and is trying to fight me bare hands. I serve him a punch, then another one in his abdomen and he falls on the ground. When the other one tries to open the door, I slam it in his face. Cha's not here.

The others are out with their hands above their heads. If he's not here, he has to be in one of the other two entries. 

"In-na, did you get him?"

"I just stopped 5 cars. He's not here. Maybe he ran away-"

"He was coming here." I said accentuating every word. I'm not a patient person, that's for sure.

"Did you at least consider the fact that reporter Park might be wrong?" And I'm getting sick of their disagreements. 

"No." I said "I'll meet you at the third gate." I start running towards it without waiting for an answer. 

I'm already worried for Shin Hye. I run as fast as I can, jumping over obstacles, be they people or machines. I can't believe how much I got to care about her in such a short while. Or maybe it seemed only short  for me? Certain is that the first time when I saw her, the day I was on the point of running over her with my motorbike, I couldn't even think that after a while I would find myself running through bullets trying to get at her. But I would run through the fire of hell to get at her.

I'm the first to arrive at the third gate. There are 7 cars parked. I was so stupid to think that he would come to one of the northern gates, when the eastern area is perfect for it: practically a ruin itself. Here, the same battle, except that this time he is here. 

I don't even need to look for them. My eyes find them immediately. She is there. With him. She's not moving. I felt rage and fear. I wanted to run after them, but In-na called me.

"Kim Woo Bin! ... Answer me!"

"He's here. Hurry up." I tell her.

Cha has she dragged inside that ruin of a building by some guy. Like always, he's followed by at least ten men. Coward.

I can't bear not having her before my eyes. I follow them inside. Foolish move, I know. I've been in danger many times in my life. I've been shot. I shot people. I've been haunted down by people who wanted to kill me. My family and friends had been threatened with death because of my job. Never have I been so scared.

I know I'm followed. I can hear steps behind me, and I can feel their presence. In-na couldn't have made it that fast.

Still, I keep walking, until I find myself in front of a large gap where a door might have been once.

"Plese enter, detective." a cold mocking voice calls me. This voice had haunted me in my dreams for many years. I walk forward. I'm standing now in an empty room. There are 3 windows at my right, all broken. There are at least 5 men in every corner of the room. I can't see her.

"I still have her, don't worry." the same voice calls. He's right behind me, looking as calm and collected as ever, impeccably dressed. I know I'm a mess right now, I don't give a sh!t. But I'm not letting him see my fear of losing her, or he might kill her only to make me suffer before In-na could come.

"You have a chace in a million to get away this time." I tell him. 

"This is really close of what your father told me once." he laughed "Oh, the irony."

My fist clenches around my gun.

"You know what's even more funny?" he asks, walking from a corner of the room to another. He wants to play with me. "You, exactly like your father, have a weak spot for a memeber of this family. In his case, it was his stupid loyalty towards a friend, but in your case it's..." he stops with his back on me. "Dare I call it love?" Finally, he turns around and I need all my control not to punch that smirk off his face. "What would you do if something happened to her?"

"Nothing will happen to her. You won't touch her."

He laughs again. This bastard is pushing my limits. "But, detective, I already have her! Unconscious.

I respond his smirk with my own "You won't have time to do anything to her. I'm either arresting you, either killing you, in case you fight me."

Some of his defiance drops, and what is left is fake. He knows he's lost.

"One of my men here will shot you the second you pull the trigger." he says

"I don't care." If you're dead, she's safe, and so are our families.

The smiles he gives me is wicked.

"Oh, I know you don't. Always so brave you Kims, right? Do you think I don't know you practically destroied everything?!" he yells his question and pulls some kind of remote out of his pocket. "Do you know what I can do now?" his voice more controlled now. Deadly serious. "I can set this whole place on fire."

Has he gone insane? He's always been so calculated, it was almost impossible for me to catch him. Damn, it took me 7 years to destroy his business. Now, after so much work, I have him. He practically lost everything, like he himself just said. Can this affect him to the point he doesn't judge correctly?

I heard gun shots behind me, and I can swear I recognize Hyung's voice. They're finally here. Neither Cha, nor I make a move. Some of the men in the room run to stop my back-ups. I stay still. It's not like I can fight them all.

"With you inside?" I ask

His grin really is a mad man's. "With her inside." he says and simply presses a button on his remote. The second he does it, I hear an explosion. On the window, I see fire from the other edge of the building. Gun shots behind me, fire before me.

Cha runs away. Oh, what's the rush?

I have this whole place's map memorized. He can't exit where he entered. The only exit is at the other edge of the building. I start running after him. Strangely, he stops where the corridor separes in two ways. Our breaths are uneven. I think my heart is on the point of jumping out of my chest.

"I'll detonate one of these every minute, for 20 minutes." It's official, this old man is completely insane.  "Will you catch me... or save your damsel in distress, detective?" he asks with the same mad look in his eyes. The small smirk never leaves his face. He points to his right when he talks about Shin Hye, and he starts running in the opposite direction, which makes it clear that he is giving me a choice. 

I need a single second to make up my mind. What he doesn't know, and maybe what even didn't realised for so long is that I have already made a decision. Actually, I made a promise. I promised my father I won't waste my life seeking revenge. Maybe a few months ago I would have ran after him, but things changed.

I can only imagine the surprise on his face when he realized that I wasn't following him. Instead, I ran as fast as I could in the oppsite direction. Few second passed, I heard another explosion. If possible, I ran faster. I checked every room that I found, I called her name from the top of my lungs. No answer. Where was she?

I stopped, breathless. Exhauted, I could barely stand on my feet. I counted 6 other explosions. Where was she? I closed my eyes and I could feel her there. Her face. Her smell. Her voice.

"Help!"

Her voice. Was I hallucinating?

"Help!" her voice called again and I could her some noises. She was probably locked somewhere and was trying to escape by kicking the door.

"Shin Hye?" 

"YES! I'm here!" she answered the moment the 8th bomb exploded. 

I turned to my right, where I thought her voice was coming from. I could hardly run anymore, and I could feel the sweat on my back and on my forehead. She kept screaming and kicking the door so I could follow the sounds. There were 3 doors, the kicks were coming from the one in the middle. 

"Are you here?" I screamed

"Yes!"

"Don't stand near the door!" I took the gun out of my pocket. I heard her moving and I shot the lock. I pushed the door open. Another explosion. It was close. 

Shyn Hye was there, looking as ravaged as me. I hugged her, needing to prove myself that she was there.

"I was so scared." she said. But you acted so brave.

"It's fine." I said kissing her forehead. "Let's hurry."

Then, I took her hand and we runned out of there. We were not too far from the exit, but I was hoping that we won't find fire in our way. Cha said something about 20 bombs, and I counted only 9.

We had to change the direction we were heading several times in the next 7 minutes (the explosions helped me keep the track of time), and at some point I didn't know where we were anymore. Fortunately, Shin Hye remembered the way they dragged her. The thought of her dragged by those beastes alone made my blood boil. 

Two explosions later, I saw it. We were in a large room, probably were the ships were actually built, and the exit was 20 meters away from us. We're saved, I thought.

"No!" a desperate scream stopped both Shin Hye and I on our tracks.

"Damn you" I cursed under my breath

Cha was there, with his impeccably clothes ravaged, with his collected expressioon replaced by the look of a man crazy for revenge. I couldn't help but thank my father from preventing me of becoming something similar. I squeezed Shin Hye's hand, and she hold mine more tightly.

"I'm not letting you out!" he said. He hold the remote in one hand, and used his other one to point a gun at us. The fire was chatching up with us, I could hear the ceiling was cracking.

He came closer to us, until only 5 steps were separating us. I took the gun from my back pocket. I didn't get to fire it. I felt a great pain in my right hand, that made me drop my gun. He shot my hand. I fell on my knees.

My body was worn out. My heart was racing. My hand hurted like hell. But the worst? I didn't feel her presence behind me anymore. I heard a part of the ceiling collapsing somewhere in the gigantic room and I hoped that she left.

Cha anyway, didn't. He pulled my hair, making my look at him. His eyes, like a storm. Shin Hye told me once that my eyes were like a storm when I talked about my dad.  "No"  thought calmly "We're not the same." We had differend reasons, and even different reactions. I didn't turn out like him. 

"This is it." he said, aiming the gun to my head. I didn't close my eyes, but kept staring.

Therefore, I was able to see the gun flying from his hand. He let out a cry of pain and knelt, just like me. The remote fell from his hand as well, and I think that we both realized it at the same time, but I was fater. I jumped over him, took both his arms and put them behind his back, holding him with all my strength.

Shin Hye was holding with both her hands the gun that I dropped. She was shaking. 

Cha was fighting my grip, trying to get to the remote. The mad man managed to step on it, and another bomb exploded.

Right in that room. 

Fire. Everything around us, fire.

"That" Cha said between his teeth, still fighting me "was the 19th. The last one is automate."

Shin Hye and I shared a look before running to the exit. It was a short distance, but I swear it was the longest run in my entire life. I didn't even feel my wounds anymore. I dragged Cha after me like he was a bag.

We were at like 4 meters out of the building when the last bomb exploded. It really was the most powerful.

The tree of us fell on the ground. 

"Thank God!" I heard a very familiar voice screaming in relief. He was approching us, running. Somebody took Cha out of my grip. I didn't fight, since I knew who it was. 

"Hyung!" Ghang Seok, spoke again, visibly scared for me. I was dragged away the same way I dragged Cha earlier. I was too tired to move a muscle. My body was sore. I only had time to wonder where Shin Hye was, and I think that I called her name, before I closed my eyes.

When I opened my eyes, I was lying... somewhere. I could see the sky. Strangely, it wasn't cloudly anymore, like it had been all day long. The stars we shining. I tried to stand up.

Ouch

Bad idea. A hand took mine.

"You fine?" the sweetest voice of all asked me. I closed my eyes again, enjoying her fingers caressing my face. I took her hand to my lips and kissed it.

"Yeah. You?" 

"Yeah." 

This time I managed to sit. Shin Hye did the same, and we leaned one agaisnt the other.

"Where are we?" she wondered out loud.

We were sitting on some kind of material, probably some jackets, on a hill. Looking around, I spotted the seaport burning from pretty far away. I could see the firemen fighting the fire. 

"We're safe." I said

"Hyung!" my old friend called me, approaching us with a concerned look on his face. "Hyung, Shin Hye, are you fine?We'll take you to the hospital immediately. We're just waiting for some more cars. Almost everything burned there. I was so worried! In-na and I waited until the last minute for you. We thought we were not gonna see you again.."

I swear the big guy was on the point of crying.

"Hyung, breath." I said giving him a small smile

"Yeah, we're fine." Shin Hye added, as amused as me

"Well you might be, but I was about to have a heart attack! You-"

"Are you up yet?" In-na came from nowhere and joined our conversation "You weren't out for too long, I guess you're not badly injured."

"We're fine, In-na, don't worry." I said

"Who said I was worried?" she asked. It was too dark to see, but I know her well enough to know she was blushing. "I'm going to see why the cars haven't arrive yet." with that, she left.

Hyung and I laughed, but I'm pretty sure Shin Hye didn't believe In-na was really worried for us. I never understood why they didn't get along. Well, actually I did. Yoo In-na simply doesn't like when people mess with her business. She probably didn't like that Hyung and I accepted Shin Hye that fast. I even feel in love with her! But I knew them well enough to know that they can become friends, or at least they can get to tolerate each other. They have enough time. 

"She does care." I told Shin Hye putting my arm around her waist and pulling her closer. "She just doesn't like to show it."

She only murmured something as an answer. She leaned her head on my shoulder and sniffed in my shirt. I carresed her hair.

"Cha?" I asked Hyung after some moments of silence.

"We got him. He's wounded, but he'll survive enough to spend some good years in prison."

I only nodded in answer. Silence again. 

"It's over." Shin Hye voiced my thoughts. 

I kissed the top of her head. "Yeah."

"We can keep on living. .. Together." she smiled at the thought

I smiled and I pecked her lips. We looked at each other a little too long to be anything less that soul mates. I saw love in her eyes, and I'm sure she could see the same in mines. "You and me..." I kissed her palm again "..And of course Saan" I continued. She chuckled.

"Hey, what did you promised Saan to do today?" she asked. I watched her confused. "I talked to him earlier today when I was alone at your house and he said that you promised him.. something, but I couldn't talk too much. I just randomly remembered it." she explained

"Oh!" realization hit me. I dramatically checked my wristwatch (what was left of him) and asked "Do you think it's too late to play football?" 

She laughed. She lauged, and I swear it was the most beautiful thing that I have ever heard.