Chapter 21

Unexpected Love

I was exhausted. After the mysterious call recived by Lee Dae Jang it was impossible for me to get something else than a sad apologizing smile from him and an cold silence from his father. It was like a silent understanding between them, and they decided that I didn't have to know anything. 

They simply dropped me where Kim Woo Bin apparently told them to, at his house. Empty house I may add, since director Yoon was in Romania with business. Avoiding the curious but concerned looks that the maids were giving me, I headed to the only place that could give me some kind of relief. The library, the huge library of the Kim family. Letting the large wooden door close behind me, I faced the room practically made of books. I stopped for a moment looking around the quiet place, my jaw clenched. Then, with a fast movement I walked to the only part of the room that wasn't covered by my good silent friends, the window. I looked over the beautiful garden that made a lasting impression on me from the first time I stepped in that house.

I unclenched my jaw and breathed deeply, telling myself that I had to think. I should have stand my ground, I shouldn't have let them to drag me here, I thought looking around again at the room Woo Bin used to jockingly mock at dinner with his mother. He did enjoy reading, but he thought the room was looking as if it belonged to a XVIII century palace. He was always for classy, but modern things. A small smile made its way on my lips when I remembered his words "When we will have our place, babe, remember me to decorate it when my mother's designer is on holiday." 

Our place... 

"Where are you?" I asked out loud and my hand made it's way to my colarbone, massaging the spot. His image appeared in front of my eyes: his broad shoulders, his messy hair, his sharp jaw and his dark eyes. And then I saw the bruises he had the last time I saw him, and his worried look too. He probably thought I was mad at him... And I was, until I realized how much of a fool I was. 

I kept wondering what did I do, compared to how many times he protected me, how supportive he always was, how he always understood me, what did I do? In that moment when I was afraid of a thing that I didn't dare to think about, I couldn't see the things that I really did for him. But that thought kept coming back stronger, and I faced it like my nature always forced me to do. But it was liker physical pain. 

But no! I couldn't lose the man I loved! Never! 

I headed to director's Yoon office and used her office phone to call home. Afther the fourth ring, Saan answered with a polite 'Hello'.

"Saan, it's me." I said trying to force my voice to sound normal

"Shin Hye, where are you? You weren't here when I woke up.."

I felt tears running down my cheeks, and I bite my lip while Saan was talking to prevent him from hearing me.

"I'm at work. Please, go at Tan's and tell his mother that I ask her to look after you until I come home."

"Fine, but will you take long? Woo Bin promised me that today he would-" Not being able to stop from sobbing, I took the phone away from my ear for a few seconds. When I put it back on my ear, Saan was finishing his phrase.

"Fine.." I told him not knowing what he said "I'll see you later. Don't forget to lock the door. Love you."

I couldn't her his answer before I put the phone down and walked out of the room. Kim Woo Bin made me familiar with the house, so I made my way to the garage, not before asking one of the maids to borrow me her phone, which she generousy did. I also asked the driver for the keys of some car. I really didn't care which one of the cars I took, but I did notice the irony that that would be the second car I borrow from Woo Bin in one day. 

"I really need to get my own", I thought.

Then I pulled on the crowded streets of Seoul. It was noon, and the weather was awful. The sky was cloudy and the wind was blowing fiercely.The weather seemed normal, but it somehow fazed me how everybody looked so normal when I was on the point of loosing a very important person in my life. 

I dialed Yoo In-na's number and waited for her to answer.

"Yoo In-na, it's me."

"Park Shin Hye?" she sounded surprised. "Why are you calling me?"

"Where are you?" I asked ignoring her question.

"I could ask you the same thing." she said. I bite my lip. Of course she would act like that. I should have called Ghang Seok. 

"I'm on my way to Woo Bin." That wasn't a lie. 

"He let you come there?" she sounded surprised. 

"It's not like he can order me around." I said, more because I had to avoind mentioning anything that could make her realize I know nothing. "I really don't see what your problem is." She always had a problem with me, and I can't say I admire her either.

"My problem, " she answered annoyed "is that I don't need you here, only to add another name to the list of people I have to make sure aren't cut and thrown in the sea."

Sea. That's a clue, isn't it? Was she referring to the actual sea or Han river? Has Woo Bin mention anything about Cha and some kind of-

Seaport. 

"I can take care of myself! I was there once and I survived without your help." I said.

"Whatever. I really don't get why Woo Bin would want you here. Don't make things more complicated." she hung up on me, but I was too relived because I didn't screw up to care. I knew where he was. 

Where it started. I always hear Karma is a , but did she have to choose that place from all places? The seaport that closed 7 years ago, when dad and his best friend died. It couldn't be a coincidence. 

Driving past a furniture store and seeing a bed, I remebered that I barely had 2 hours of sleep last night. But I wasn't tired, only that my heart was beating fast, and my mind was tireless. It even wondered if it was right to send me there. After all, what could I do to help him? 

But even if I knew it, I kept driving towards my destination. I had every right to go there, for my job and for my father and for my man, even if he might not be too happy to see me there. 

"I'll think about that later", I thought and my mind went back to reading the signs on the street. It was a long drive, not that I noticed. Before I knew, I found myself close to the seaport. Then, my mind woke up and I took care to park my car where it couldn't be seen. 

I got off and walked, making as less noise as possible, trying to hear every move around me. I reached the building and before I opened  the door, I looked through the window. I made a step back when I heard steps coming towards me.

"They lost that woman." I heard a pitched voice saying. I realized he must be talking on his phone when no one answered him, but he continued "Yeah, some of them are looking for her... Well boss thought that, but anyway now he'll want revenge- Course! We're waiting for 'em. If they don't come, we're off, but if they do... This will be explosive .... Boss has to come when..."

I could barely hear his last words as he walked further and away from me. But he woke me up. That was when I realized that I was in the real danger of meeting my death, and also when the whole situation was presented clear for me. But he was also wrong. Woo Bin did not want revenge, he wanted justice. That could make him think straight, but knowing his hot temper I was concerned.

Judging by the lack of gun shots, the 'battle' hasn't started yet. Last time when I came here, the police used the east area of the seaport, because being destroied until the point of not being able to be repaired, Cha didn't use it. Apparently he didn't think about checking it after either, because everything was still hidden. 

I was again thankful for the weather. It wasn't evening yet, but it looked like. It made it easier to walk around the ruins. It wasn't far from where I was. I carefully walked by the unfamiliar machines until I reached the spot where I knew there should be some guards. But I didn't see anybody, so I got closer. On both my sides were huge crates, but what happened with the officer that should be here?

"No move"

Ah, there it is.

"It's me, Ghang Seok." I said turning around. His face was pure shock when he recognized me.

"Park Shin Hye!" he whisper-yelled. "What are you doing here?"

"Doing my job, of course."

"Does Hyung know you're here?"

He knew my answer by the look I gave him.

"Ohh, Shin Hye.." he sighed

****

"What was in your head when you thought about coming here?!" Woo Bin said. I don't have to mention he looked slightly pissed off. Of course, after he got over the shock of seeing me there, he first asked me about my condition. When he made sure I was alright, he came back to the 'you shouldn't be here' state.

"Well firstly, need I remind you this is my job? And secondly, this is personal."

Frustrated, he runned his fingers through his hair, making it messier.

"I can't lose you too." he mumbled. His brown eyes hold so much emotion, it made my heart melt. I took his hand in mine.

"You won't."

"You put yourself in danger, probably for nothing. Cha didn't came yet, and maybe he won't. He might choose another way to leave-"

"He will come here, and he is aware that you might be waiting for him."

"Of course he suspects, but-"

"No, babe. He is waiting for you. He might not know about this hideaway, but he knows you will be here. You are not waiting for him in vain, he is going to come. But he is waiting for you too." I said and then at his request I repeted word by word what I heard the man from earlier saying.

"Well this is good to know." he mumbled looking thoughtfully over my shoulder.

"Here you are." The familiar voice of Yoo In-na broke the silence." I can't belive you let her come here." she said to Woo Bin who looked at me questiongly, raising his eyebrow.

"Had to find out where you were." I whispered for only him to hear. He looked at me amused, before turning to his boss and saying "You know it's her duty to come here. You are the one who accepted my mother's offer."

I watched with satisfaction as his statement shut . 

"Plus, she is helping us." he continued "Cha is more aware of our presence than we thought." He repeated what I said minutes ago "So, " he concluded "we should go for him the moment his car gets in our sight. We have only one shot." 

She (surprisingly) agreed, and they divided in three teams, each waiting for Cha in another spot. I was put in the third team, that was in the last spot where he was expected (unsurprisingly, since I had no military training), somewhere next to the scariest ruin out there.

But Woo Bin assured me that he would not get me out the picture again, since he understood that I wouldn't let him to. So no matter where I was, I had the right to look that man in the eyes when he will get what he deserved. I felt adrenaline  running through my veins. Maybe because I would get revenge, but mostly because this war was coming to an end.

I sat on the cold ground, leaning against a crate. I looked around at the policemen hidden in different places. The two who had been asked to stay next to me (can you guess by who?) were talking to each other. It was all so quiet. I closed my eyes. 

I heard a shot. It started. 

The two men stood on both sides of me. I stood too. One of the was shot in his abdomen. He recovered quickly thanks to his bulletproof vest. We had to change our position. I was practially dragged from there. I let out a scream when the other man fell too. I knelt next to him to check if he was alright.

"No move. I still have enough bullets for you too."