Chapter 19

Unexpected Love

How do you talk about love? How do you write about love? How do you describe love?

I must be one of the hardest things to do. I have friends who 'talk about men' all the time. Things like 'look how handsome he is' or 'what beautiful eyes he has' and so on. But how do you describe it when it is about a lot more? When you feel like his eyes are a whole world, his smile are the entire hapiness in the world, his presence is all life is about? It sounds so romantic. The kind of thing that I used to roll my eyes at when I would hear it. But now? So different.

I am with Kim Woo Bin, alone. Saan is still at the party. He has been there for 2 hours, so he is about to come. To my shame, I'm not too worried. Nothing could happen to him, anyway, but I used to be concerned everytime he was not near me. Is that one of the reasons why love is called selfish? Because you think only about the one you love and you forget about the others who love you? I promised myself to be by my brother's side and I will. I will not make him say that I'm absent anymore.

But know I'm with Woo Bin. He is close to me. I feel his arms around me, I smell his scent, I hear his voice. What could be better? Seeing him as happy as me.

"My dear," he says "you are gorgerous, smart, witty, strong, you are enchanting, but I bet you can't say 'I love you' with as much passion as I do"

I am in seventh heaven. No, there is no way I could describe is in another way.

Days with him pass quikly.

I was home, reading the letters and emails that our readers sent and I was more than happy to see that some of them were written for me only. People from all the country telling me that they loved what I wrote? This was my dream since I was a child. I had a big smile on my face, I read every letter twice or thrice. The longer the letter the bigger the smile.

I only stopped reading them when my legs started hurting under me. I was sitting on my bed with my legs under me, dressed in my pjamas. I was never the kind of girl to sleep in a onesie or in a hello kitty pj, no matter how much I loved oversized clothes. My pj, composed from a sleaveless shirt and some very short pants,were made of white silk. I had just had a shower so I let my not so dry hair hunging over my shoulders. I watches the clock. It was 2am, but I couldn't bring myself to sleep. I came back from work after midnight and I was somehow too tired to sleep. 

"2am... What is he doing right now?"

Okay, maybe work was not the only thing that kept me awake. I have not seen Kim Woo Bin since that day when we... went to Saan's football game. He got an weird call and for the first time, he was not too clear when he told me where he was going.

"Oah, easy there, Shin Hye. Is not like he dumped you, don't act like the crazy girlfriend."

I almost jumped off my bed. I tend to have very fast reactions when I have an unpleased thought. Not once have I found myself groaning or frowning thinking about an embarrassing or frustrating moment. It was worse when people were around, then they would usually think I am crazy.

I walked to the kitchen, deciding to drink a glass of water. I actually needed a reason to walk. Walking helped me thnk. I usually do it in my room listening music, which made my brother think as me as some mad lady until he got used with me.

Kim Woo Bin didn't seem to be bothered by that.

However, music was not an option at the moment, since I could hear my brother's snore through his door. This kid surely has a loud sleep.

I couldn't drink the entire glass of water so I threw away half of it in the sink. After all was it fair from Woo Bin to not bother to call me more than thrice in 2 days and acting so weird? He never did this before.

I sighed looking around the house. As I probably said before, my surroundings affect my mood. But my mood is also shown in my surroundings. Since I was concerned with my carefree boyfriend I didn't spend so much time cleaning the house. Books and magazines were not only in the shelves, but also on the couch and the table. The coat I wore that day was hanging on a chair and my shoes were in the doorway. I can't count how many of Saan's things were scattered around the place. That is something my very organized person would not allow in her good days.

I was about to go to my room and try to sleep when a very uncommon sound made me stop. Well uncommon at 2 in the morning. Someone was opening my door. I could hear the keys in the door lock. Before I had the chance to run the door opened . The room was dark so I could not see anything but the contour of a tall frame entering.

And then of course I didn't need more than two seconds to recognize him. I could do it only by the scent he was spreading, by his confident moves that showed not only a hight self esteem, but also the fact that he was familiar with my home. A moment ago I was scared for my life, after all the last events in my life made me very cautionous; now I was relieved to feel again the smell that has an calming effect on me.

"Why are you up at this hour?" Woo Bin asks in his deep delicious voice.. No. He sneacks in my house in the middle of the night after he didn't even bother to call me for 2 days and that's all he has to say?

"What are you doing here at this hour?" I said emphatizing on the last words.

He didn't get to answer as he almost loses his balance when he tripped over Saan's football ball.

"Your home is a wrek. You should clean this place." he remarks

"HAD I KNOWN I WAS GOING TO HAVE GUESTS AT 2 O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING I'M SURE I WOULD'VE."

Okay, maybe I was a little bit too sarcastic.

He turns on the light and I finnaly notice the way he looks. He wears some black jeans and his white V neck shirt that was showing off his perfect musculature was covered by a black jacket. His hair is more messy than usual and he looks exhausted.

"Where have you been?" I ask.

"I... was busy with work." He changes the subject immediately "Has anybody visited or called you while I was gone?Somebody.. you know.."

"Nothing bad happened here, except your absence."I got close to him and cup his cheecks in my hands while he wraps his arms around me. I gently brush my thumb over his bottom lip when I notice he has a scar on it. "Did you think I was in danger and that's why you came? Where have you been? Has Cha something to do with it?"

"I was just concerned. I missed you, babe."

"Well you only had to call me or come here earlier." I remarked. I feel a bit guilty when I see the look on his face, but he should know that he isn't going to get away with it.

"Can we talk about it in the morning?" he pleads

"Yeah, we might wake up my brother. Let's go to my room."

He nods and turns the light off before following me in my room. I stay at the top of my bed waiting for him to come from the bathroom. After like 10 minutes I can't hear the shower running anymore. Woo Bin enters wearing nothing more than some old shorts. 

He sighs and flops down next to me on the bed, taking my hand in his. His thumb traces circles over the back of my hand.

"Are you going to tell me what happened now? I think I've been very patient" I whispered

"Please, babe, let's talk about it in the morning. I am very tired and... I promise I will explain you, but now..."

"Now you need to deal with your thoughts. Don't look at me like that, babe, I know you. Fine, I will accept to wait since there are only a few hours separating us from the morning but you'd better have a good explanation"

He gives me a heart-breaking smile and climbs on top of the bed and I wrap myself around him. I really want to find out what happened and who gave him those bruises but I prefer to wait until the morning that to start an argument with a relly tired Woo Bin. After all, his condition is worring me more than anything.

I think that we didn't get to sleep for more than two hours when my phone starts ringing. It is not something odd for me, since my job makes me get up in the middle of the night and go to places when the most horrible accidents happend. Which is why I am not surprised when Kang So Ra tells me through the phone to go as fast as possible at a convenience store, somewhere in the south part of Seoul.

"But you have to know that we got an anonymous call from a man who said that he could give us information about the accident, but he only wants to talk to you. He says it's because he read your articles about the police investigations and he somehow trusts you. I will send somebody with you, you won't be alone"

"Sure, send me a text with the exact location and I'll go there as soon as possible." I answer softly and hung up. In spite of the effort I put in not waking him up, Woo Bin wraps his arm around my waist.

"Something wrong?" he asks, his voice when deeper when he's sleepy

"Kang So Ra called me. Can I take your car? I really need to hurry." I said managing to get off the bed. I took some black jeans, a large orange swater and headed to the bathroom.

"Sure, I think the Hyunday is still in the parking lot." I hear him saying

"Oh yeah, you're right." I said. Before he disappeared, Woo Bin was at my place when he got a sudden call from Yoo In-na telling him to go to look for some guy who robbed a jewelry store. Ghang Seok came by and picked up Woo Bin with his car, so the Hyunday was left here, along with the keys.

I get out the bathroom fully dressed and prepared. I took a large black bad and put in it a notebook, pencils, a recorder, my wallet and my phone. The basic a reporter needs when going out on the field. I took some black boots and a beige coat and I was ready to leave. In less than 10 minutes. Not that I'm bragging or anything.

I saw Kim Woo Bin hunging up his phone when I entered in the room.

"I need to go" he said "I'll call you later."

I could hear a woman's voice telling him not to hung up before he did.

A woman's voice at 4 o'clock in the morning? The emergency the the convenience store could wait.

"Who were you talking to?" I asked

"Nobody"

Wrong answer.

"Really? Were you talking to yourself and didn't want to look weird so you used your phone?"

"It's nothing important." he said obvioulsy avoiding the question "Are you sure it's safe to go out at this hour?"

"It's my job. You should understand it better than anyone else."

"Yeah, but what if you didn't have the car? Would you have called for a cab? It is really dangerous."

I thought about that hundreds of times, everytime when I found myself in a weird-smelling cab or locked up with a weird-looking taxi driver. I saved money for a car and I wanted to ask him to come with me and help me choose one.

But right then he disappeard for 2 days and didn't came back until a few hours earlier in the middle of the night and on top of it he just talked with a woman!

I check my phone and when I see that Kang So Ra didn't send me the adress of the store yet I decide to dig deeper.

"The only dangerous thing that can happen to us now is you not telling me who the woman you were talking to is." I said

"The woman? Really, Shin Hye, you can't be serious... It's just work."

Yeah, I remember the last time you said that, I thought. It happened just last week, when the general prosecutor's daughter wouldn't keep her hands for herself even if he looked very uncomfortable until I got him out of her sight. He seemed more than thankful to me, but still.

I felt my phone vibrating and how it was only So Ra who could text me at that hour, I knew that she sent me the adress and since I didn't want to argue with my oh so dear boyfriend who still had to give me lots of explanations I kindly suggested him to go back to sleep and got out before he could stop me. I think was out the apartament before he could cover himself with some clothes.

I got in the car, put my bad in the front seat and checked the text So Ra sent me. I slightly narrowed my eyes when I read the adress. It the neighborhood where I grew up, before I brought the apartment I was living in with Saan. But no matter how many financial problems I had, I never could bring myself to sell the small house I spent my childhood in.

I drove as fast as the law allowed me. In this business you can't afford to be late.

Still, I couldn't help but feel that something was not going to end up the way I'd want.