Chapter 16

Unexpected Love

I get off the taxi and slightly fix my clothes, praying that my white jumpsuit didn't get stained. I've been saving money for a car for ages, I can't wait to buy one so I won't have to take a taxi all the time!

The glass walls of the tall builing were shining in the light of the sun. Walking under the huge sign which says Seoul News in red letters, I entered in the building sharing smiles and greeting with everybody in my way.

A sunny day in the middle of fall is a great reason to be happy, and to pull out of your closet beautiful clothes. I tried to not be to obvious when I checked my look in a window. My milkwhite sleeveless jumpsuit was simple, yet stylish. I runned my fingers to my naturally straight hair fixing it. Perfect. The days when I feel beautiful have always been rare, but I started feeling it more often since I'm dating Kim Woo Bin. I was looking forward to see the look in his eyes when he sees me. He had to come that evening to take me and his mother out. After I finally overcomed my fear, we had a little talk about when we could tell her and I proposed to tell her out for dinner.

"Don't be silly. I told you from the start, she likes you. I don't see why you are so nervous.", Woo Bin's words popped in my mind. Of course he says it. When he met my family he only had to impress a 9 years old kid fascinated about cops.

The heels of my red stiletto made a nice sound as I made my way towards the elevator.I turned around instinctively when I heard steps. I saw only the back of a man who walked on a corridor that was leading to the reporters' desk, where I usually write down my articles. But people who didn't work there can't enter, so I followed him. He stopped in the middle of the room, surrounded by desk and people who were looking at him curiously. Unsure, I was waiting to see what he was looking for. At some point, he turned around and continued scanning the room. He was tall, but his brown suit shown that he was rather skinny. He noticed me when I decided to stop waisting time and went at him.

"Sir," I said "you should not be here. Could you tell me what are you looking for?"

He looked me over. "Park Shin Hye?"

I slightly narrowed my eyes "Are you looking for me?"

All of a sudden, he grabbed me wrist and pulled me on his side. People around us noticed, some of them being to shocked and scared to move, others running out the room. I was part of the first category, but my fear was sustained by the feeling of a round metalic object on my back. He was armed.

People saw him and at least one of them had to call the security. But the man wasn't preoccupied by that. He let everybody do as they wished, his only concern being to hold my arm tightly as he walked me out the room. 

"There were too many people in there. Now is better." he said

"Why ,don't you like crowded rooms?" the words came out of my mouth without my wish, being the ressult of the pain, fear and anger I was holding inside.

He scoffed "Don't try to be brave, it won't help you." he continued after a second, his voice rough "I will kill you"

His words echowed in my mind like a death sentence. I could hear the beating of my heart as if it was beating between my temples. Having a lump in my throat, I only managed  to ask: "Why?".

He sounded bitter as he said "Because he wants it. Don't be stupid, who do you thing wants to kill you? I think that's not the first time."

I tried to breath naturally. I have to think, I have to think, I kept repeating myself.  As he said only one person would want to kill me: Cha. But why now? Why like this? Why here? 

"Why?" I asked again 

"Who knows?" he asked as if he philozophing about life "You should know that better than me."

People around us were running like crazy. Others were palsy by fear. We were walking slowly, but my thoughts were running fast, crossing and interrupting each other before I could understand them. 

"They are professional. That's the way it works. No questions, just do your job." , Woo Bin's words joyned the run. If only he would be there! He was strong and smart and wasn't afraid!

I fought, trying to free myself. No result. "Let me go!" My words were demanding and pleading at the same time "You don't even know me, how can you kill someone for money?" 

"Shut up." he sharply said and for the first time his voice wasn't bitter, but brutal. He opened a door and we stepped in. From an empty hall to an empty room. Where no one could help me.

The room was a conference room. White walls, imposing tall bookcases on both sides, a huge table reigning in the middle of the room. And the bright sun, so close yet so far, shining throught the window. 

He let go of my arm turning around to lock the door. I stood there frozen. He looked at me, his dark eyes looking as confused as mines. They sent me a message and a little hope enlightened in my heart: doesn't he want to kill me?

"Sit down" he tiredly nodded to a chair. I hesitated, but I pulled off a chair and sat.

I watched him as he lazily walked closer, his shoulders slightly bent as if he was carrying on the weight of the world on his shoulders. Looking closer, I noticed he was wellbuilt, having not only a tall frame, but strong-looking arms too. It was the weight on his shoulders that was making him weak. 

Not breaking eye contact he sat on the chair across the table. He put both his hands on the table, holding his gun in his left hand.

Is he lefthanded?, the nonsense question popped in my mind. I  wasn't thinking straight.

"Let me see your hands." he commanded and I put my hands on the table. He fixed his eyes on them, watching my moves but at the same time refusing to make eye contact with me. 

I wanted to jump off my chair, to scream and fight and run, but a magnetic force, called ususally fear, had glued me on my chair. The clock on the wall was driving me crazy with its noise. I had the feeling that every sound marked a hour, not a second. 

"What are you waiting for?" I burst

"Are you in a hurry?" he asked,  his voice hoarse. "I was expecting from you to play out time or to fight. But you are wiser than that. Or maybe you are more stupid?"  He turned his gaze to me and his lips trembled without sound before he asked: "I heard he is killing you only because you are your father's daughter and because he wants to hurt some cop." He was irrational. 

"You are the one who is about to kill me." I said between my teeth

"Only because he told me!" 

But he didn't want to do it. The hope in my heart increased. 

"Do you realize where you are? The police is probably on its way."

"Oh, I am sure it is." he honetly answered

"And then? Why-"

"Why, why why! That's the only thing you said from the moment I saw you. I'm not here because I want to!  It wouldn't matter if I killed you here or in a forest because I'm going to jail anyway! Then, tell me why should I care?" He hit the table with the hand in which he held his gun. The metalic sound sent cold shivers down my spine. Suddenly, I hear a beating even louder than the beating of my heart, a sound that made both of us jump off our chairs. 

Somebody was trying to break the door.  If he wanted to shoot he had to be fast. But then, he only needed a second. 

He pointed his gun towards me. His hand was shaking, and so was my whole body. He pressed his lips together and made a step forward. I thought he'd shoot, but he didn't. 

Another kick in the door. 

He frowned, his hands shaking. Before the door hit the floor, I saw him closing his eyes resigned and throwing away his gun. Three or two men surrounded him and took him out the room under my dumbfounded gaze. My eyes followed the man's back to the door. I saw agents stepping back, making room for the tall frame of my Woo Bin. I can't say which one of us ran the first to the other's arms. 

"God, you scared me! You fine?...Did he hurt you?" he mumbled as I pressed my head on his chest, letting his broad shoulders carry my fear. 

"I am sorry, you cannot enter here-"

"Yes, I can." I heard the familiar voice of Dirtector Yoon cutting off an agent. She came to us.

After he planted a soft kiss on my forehead, Woo Bin broke the hug, letting only one of his arms around my shoulder. I was sure his mother noticed, so I didn't bother distancing myself from her son, my man. 

She didn't look surprised, nor angry. 

"My son told me." she calmly said and slightly smiled when added "More like his obvious fear of loosing you told me."

I was happy that Woo Bin didn't make any sign of denial. I loved that at him. I love him, I thought, accepting it without surprise, but as a truth. Who says that the truth hurts?

"We can talk about it later," Director Yoon said "but shouldn't you first see what that monster was planning to do?"

My body tensed up again. Him. It was something about him. And no matter how bad it was scaring me, I had to find out.