Chapter 17

Unexpected Love

Kim Woo Bin didn't open the door for me. Doesn't he want me to enter? Of course he doesn't, why do I want to enter there?

Behind that door is danger, anger, fear, mistery. But also answers.

"And I came here to find them out." I thought opening the door with a fast move. I wanted to leave there immediately. Then why was I going there?

I entered first and Woo Bin followed me. The small room was empty and gray. It had a door which was leading to the room where the interrogations take place and a special window for us to see inside. Woo Bin came and wrapped his arms around my waist from behind. Instinctively, I but my hands on his. 

"We'd better leave." he said 

I didn't answer right away not because I was considering it, but because I couldn't think about it. I didn't say anything for a while. I wasn't used to. In life, I never shared my thoughts, my fears, my dreams. I rather wrote about them than spoke about them. It came out more easily. But the pressure was too big that time. I breathed in deeply and spoke:

"It is not the first I've been through it. Life has become dangerous lately." He tried to say something. "Let me talk. It is not because of you. Earlier or later, I would have find out about my father. I am lucky I met you to be with me when I found out. Thank you for being here and for being you. I never got to see the men who tried to hurt me before. I don't want to. But he..." I breathed deeply again "he had the best chance to do it and he didn't. ... I promise I'll leave if things get complicated."

He sighed. "I belive you. I promise I will always be here. I promise I will help and protect you when you need it."

He should have been there already. Neither of us asked out loud why they wouldn't bring him there. I was thinking that he maybe escaped. Or maybe he hurted himself, he seemed very depressed. 

The door opened slowly, not wanting to bother us.

"Woo Bin," Ko Ghang Seok said "something came up."

Woo Bin only turned his head, but he must have seen something in Ghang Seok's expression, because he let go of me and they started whispering. I didn't get to ask anyhting. The door from the other room opened. 

Yoo In-na entered looking like justice itself in the most brutal and honest of its sides. Even if the special glass didn't let her see us, she looked towards us and I felt like the look was meant for me. She stopped near the door and waited for him to enter. The room was a little larger than the one I was in. It was dimply lit, like the police wanted to show the infranctors the dark they were stepping into when they committed illegalities.

He entered with his hands behind his back, followed by an agent. He was dressed the same. His look was the same: bitter, and somehow bored, like somebody who didn't pay his bills, is on the point of loosing his house and all he is waiting for is the bank representative to finish his macabre speech. Seeing him sent cold shivers down my spine. I was sure Woo Bin noticed. He came near me.

"They brought him" I said. I only wanted to say something, anything, so I don't seem to scared.

The room was empty, except for a table and two chairs next to it. The agent told him to sat down and took off his handcuffs, then left. In-na didn't sit down across the table, prefering to stand with her back on me.

"Lee Jang Soo, 37 years old, no antecedents. That's all we could find out. Why don't you cooperate with us?" 

"It wouldn't matter if I killed you here or in a forest because I'm going to jail anyway! Then, tell me why should I care?" I remembered him saying this words. Then I knew he wouldn't cooperate. He couldn't care less.

"Reporter Park Shin Hye made a statement saying that you were forced to hurt her and that you were not going to finish what you started. Is any of it true?"

"No"

She asked him why his victim would try to protect him with a lie. He didn't answer. He didn't say anything else.

"What now?" Woo Bin asked 

"If he doesn't want to answer, we'll bring him inside. That's what In-na told us to do." Ghang Seok said

I didn't bother to ask what was this all about and who he was. Shortly after that I found out who they were talking about. The door from the other room opened again. I was surprised to see a young boy coming in. He looked younger than 20, but his face was disfigured by fear, making him look like he lived in pain for 100 years. He only made a step inside the room and stopped, sharing an intense look with Lee Jang Soo. I watched their eyes filling with holded back tears and their lips beggining to tremble. 

"Appa..." the young man whispered before bursting out. He knelt next to the one he called father and burried his face in his lap. "Father... I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..." he said through tears.

The father watched him with tears in his eyes. He put his hand on his son's shoulder making him look up to him. 

"I forgive you. Now you have to forgive yourself." 

"It all started from your son." In-na said. 

Lee Jang Soo frowned. "My son didn't do anything." his voice was like thunder.

"Yes, I did! It was my fault, please, let my father leave."

"Dae Jang!" his father raised his voice.

Then silence. There was an unsolved problem between father and son, a situation that even Yoo In-na didn't dare to interrupt with questions. I thought that I'll never find my answers, feeling held back from going further.

"He won't let his son make a statement" Ghang Seok said. He woke me up. I looked at Woo Bin. He ran his hand over his mouth, clearly sharing the same opinion. Suddenly it all seemed unfaire to me. Why would I go through this all and then he wouldn't even give me a reason for this? Why would he try to shoot me, but he wouldn't even care to explain why? I get a strange kind of power and courage that made me walk with sure steps towards the door and open it, stepping in the other room, before Woo Bin get the chance to stop me.

"Why won't you let him talk?" I asked. They all watched me like I was loosing my minds. Lee Jang Soo was the most impressed. He whistled softly before saying:

"You came here. I still can't decide whether you are extremely smart or extremly dumb considering your actions."

"I still can't decide whether you are a cynical killer or a poor marionete, so clear this up for me!"

"He is not a killer!" his son jumped on his feet clenching his fists, but with a soft tortured expression. "He is not... I know what he has done, but it all started from me." Lee Jang Soo tried to make him shut up again "No, let me talk!" his son shouthed and continued talking fastly, trying to get this off his chest as soon as possible "It was my fault. I was ungrateful for what I had, I wanted more money. So I entered in a gang and one man told me that I have to kiil some guy at an abandoned warehouse and he gave me a special gun telling me to use it with the bullets he told me so everybody gets the message. But I couldn't.... I couldn't. I shot, but I didn't hurt him, my bullet flew through the air. .... And the man came out of nowhere ..."

"Enough, Dae Jang..." Jang Soo said overhelmed

"It is not enough. If neither of you did something bad, we can help you." Woo Bin said. He noticed he could find out more from the boy so he adressed to him "Who came?"

"The one who told me to kill that man. He did it, not me! I couldn't, so he shot him instead of me!"

"I see, just calm down." Woo Bin said. The interrogation restarted, but this time he asked the questions. In-na and I were just audience.

"Do you remember what kind of gun he gave you?"

The boy slighly narrawed his eyes and looked downwards, trying to remember. "..Mamba?"

'' If the victim still has a bullet in his chest it means the he had probably been shot barely the second time . That means the bad guy didn't have too much experience with guns . Also , this tipe of bullet is used ussualy  with a mamba pistol . It is named after the mamba, an African snake known for its deadly venom that leaves little to no chance of survival for victims of its bite .''

I looked at Kim Woo Bin when this words that he spoke when I first investigated a case with him, popped in my mind. The murder from the warehouse was still following me.

"Let's leave. He can take it from here." In-na told me. I nodded and followed her outside. I got my answers.

We entered her office, which was separated from the others, she being the leader of her team. I sat down with my shoulders bent and my hands in my lap. I was tired, still I was consuming myself with questins. Did I hear him right? Did I understand what all this was about? Did I stand in the same room with the one who put a gun on my back earlier that day?

"The kid is the one who killed the man in the warehouse?"

"He shot the first gun, apparently." In-na said. She sat in her chair, her arms crossed over her chest. She fixed her gaze on a point from the wall and kept staring at it. Her voice was clear, clearing any doubt I had. "You remember we considered him as not being used with guns. A point for us. But we didn't think that somebody else came and finished the job. That means either that we were wrong, which happens a lot in police, or the boy lies."

"I don't think he does."

She shook her heand and made eye-contact with me "Neither do I. He also named the mamba gun Kim Woo Bin talked about, this is a strong evidence." 

The gun... I remembered the look in Woo Bin's eyes when he saw the bullet. He had that light in his eyes, the light of the hope that he might have found the man who killed his father. He must have known that Cha only uses that kind of gun. He even mentioned the message that kid was talking about, the letal mamba snake.

We didn't continue talking. I don't know how long I stayed there before Woo Bin and Ghang Seok came inside. 

"You alright, my darling?" Woo Bin asked sitting next to me. My lips curved into a tiny smile, for the first time since that morning. How could I ever doubt him? How could I been so cruel and ignorant and stupid not to want to talk with his mother, when he would have done this and many more? I understood there that he fought for us more than me, and I felt worthless, but my love for him grew. That's right, I didn't even told him I love him! I felt like screaming it to him. I took his hand. Since the beginning, I didn't want to involve myself too much because I thought this relationship might not be serious. I didn't have any doubt that this was real and that this will last. 

"I'm fine" I answered him keeping the smile on my face.

In the meantime, Ghang Seok told In-na what the father and son declared.

"Lee Jang Soo didn't want to say anything, but Lee Dae Jang, his son, convinced him. Afther the young man didn't do his job, Cha was displeased. Even more, the kid wanted to end any contact he had with the gang. Cha decided to make it look like it was all the kid's fault and to give him to the police, but then the father came in the picture. He told him that he could save his son if he makes him a favour... " Ghank Seok cleared his throat "to kill reporter Park Shin Hye, and takes all the blame for both murders on him"

"This way," In-na said "he gets revenge both on Kim Woo Bin and his father."

"Exactly. They were going to say that Lee Jang Soo killed the man at the warehouse and Shin Hye. This way his son is free to do anything he wants."

"Are they willing to help us with information?"

"I think so, that's their only chance." Ghang Seok answered

Kim Woo Bin stood. "You can handle it without my help."

"Sure. Well done at with the interrogation."

Woo Bin didn't let go of my hand during the drive home and I was trying to convince him that I was fine, even if I wasn't in a great mood. He entered with me in my apartment. I went to Saan's room to make sure he is asleep. He was sleeping like a baby and I didn't wake him up. He was somehow used to go to sleep alone, since my reporter job made be late home everytime when an important even occurred. 

I found Woo Bin lying on the couch. It was perfect. Like he was meant to be there, with me. I sat next him. The small couch was a believable reason to get as close to his as possible. He played with my hair.

"I-"

"Do you really have to leave?" I asked

He smiled "No, if you don't want to."

"Thank you for staying this long. I want you to stay longer." we were no longer talking about my home "Even if you'll want to leave, I'll follow you. I... I"

He took my hand to kis mouth and kissed it "I love you, too." 

"I love you more" I replied