Chapter 12

Unexpected Love

Lying on the couch, I was waiting for Kang So Ra to come from the kitchen. It was early in the morning and I was watching out the window somehow curious that the sun shined so bright when I was feeling like rain. After Kim Woo Bin brought me home, I tried to sleep, but I couldn't. So I called my only friend and she came over and before we went to sleep I told her everything that happened. 

"Are you gonna see him again?" she asked coming in with two cups of coffee in her hands

"Yes. We'll meet later to talk with secreatry Baek about... abeoji"

So Ra put the coffee on the table. I put my legs aside to give space to sit on the couch. 

"Shin Hye... even if that's true...if your father's death wasn't an accident... that man will be caught and punished."

"I don't know if I'm sad because that man is still free out there or because..." I said triyng to fight my tears "Appa could have been near me now if ..."

So Ra reached out her arms. I sat and he hugged me.

"Shin Hye... everything is going to be all right... Don't cry... Do you want Saan to see you like this when we wakes up?"

I breathed in and out deeply "You're right. I won't tell him, yet... Anyway, he was to young when appa died to remember too much." I leaned back on the couch when my phone rang once. It was a message from Woo Bin.

I talked with ajjussi. We can meet with him, if you want.

Yes. As soon as possible. Are you busy now? I texted back. He answered in a matter of seconds

No. I'm coming at you. We'll go together. 

I'm waiting for you

"Kim Woo Bin?" So Ra asked

I nodded my head "I gotta get ready" I said standing

"Already? But you didn't eat anything, you didn't even drink your coffee!"

"I'll eat later, I'm not hungry, anyway. Listen, can you take care of Saan while I'm out? He has to wake up any minute, it's still early."

"Yeah, I'll stay with him."

"Thanks" I turned my back and went to my room. I took a fast shower and tried to hide my sleepless night with make-up. I didn't want to look like I was falling apart. I dressed in some ripped jeans and a beige swater with some animal print high heels. I brushed my hair and went back to the living room.

"You look good" So Ra said

"I don't feel that way" I replied checking my phone for another text. 

"Shin Hye, about the other thing you told me about..." So Ra said with the corner of her lips twisted up.

I let out a breath "I knew we'll end up here" I said and sat on the couch next to her.

She turned her body facing me.

"Did you fall in love with him?" she asked directly. We knew each other too well to use introductions.

I scratched the back of my neck "I think I am falling for him..."

"Yay!" So Ra exclamed and pressed her hands together, her smilearrow-10x10.png even larger now.

"But I don't know if it's the same with him!" I said 

"Tsk, this girl! You really don't know anything? He kissed you, of course he likes you! As blind as you are, he probably fell for you a long time ago and you didn't even realized."

I remember Woo Bin's joke about me slapping him after we kissed and I couldn't hide a smilearrow-10x10.png.

"And I didn't even meet him!" So Ra continued "I mean, I saw him on TV and so on, but I didn't meet him. You must introduce him to me as soon as possible. I have to be sure he deserves you."

"My God, you talk like we two are about to get married" I rolled my eyes

"And why not? He may be a successful heir to a huge conglomerate, but you are better than any spoiled heiress"

I was about to answer her when we heard the doorbell. 

"It is him. Take care of Saan!" I said 

"Don't worry." So Ra said and hugged me again. It's good to have friend like that. I took my brown bag and left. 

I slowly opened the door to find Woo Bin standing there. 

"Hi " I greeted him simply

"Hi" he smiledarrow-10x10.png "You ready?"

You ready to find out if the accident that took your father away from you was an accident for real or not?

I nooded my head and we left to the park lot. I started looking for his car, but I couldn't see it anywhere. He cleared his throat and pointed his head to a orange motorbike next to us. 

"I couldn't bring myself to stay in a car today" he said "Hope you don't mind."

I looked again at the motorbike he was showing me and I recognized it to be the one he was riding when we first meet, when I interviwed Yoon Son-ha. The first time we meet... Who tought then that we were sharing this similar fate, similar past?

 After a short ride we arrived at the coffee shop where secreatry Baek was waiting for us. Woo Bin helped me to get off his bike. The way he looked reminded me that we were both in the same situation. Not that he was looking broke down, no. He was dressed as impecabilly as always, from his shoes to his perfect coif. But the look in his dark eyes... The light, the lightning, the storm I saw in his eyes everytime he thought about his father was still there.

And that was the first time when a question popped in my mind: how did Kim Woo Bin find out about his father's death? What does it has to do with him being a detective? Has he been looking for the killer for the past 7 years? What was his side of story? As these questions were coming in my mind, I reached out for his hand. He looked at me questioningly, but he took my hand and we walked like that, holdingarrow-10x10.png hands.

The restaurant was a nice place, but too fancy for me. I didn't looked around too much and, when I spot secretary Baek's table, I looked only towards him. Only that man could give me the answers at my questions. We greeted and Woo Bin and I sat on the other edge of the table still holdingarrow-10x10.png hands and facing secreatary Baek. His kind eyes were analyzing me.

"Park Hye Woo." he said and I froze "Is that your father's name?" he asked

"..Yes."

He laid back on his chair. "I knew you looked familiar. I don't know how I didn't recognized you from the first place. You look a lot like your father."

"My father wasn't a policeman." 

"No, he owned a store. ... One day, he wanted to buy goods foir it, but he ended up in the wrong place. In the place where the man you saw, Cha Soo Ha, was hiding his drugs. When your father found out, he called the police and that's how he met Kim Ji Woo, master's father. And that's how I met him, too. Your father was a good man, a great example for anybody. He agreed to help us to set up Cha Soo Ha. But in the night when we planned the operation... something went wrong. One of our men betrayed us. Cha found out about what we were trying to do and... he told the traitor to sabotage your father's car and..." Secretary Baek stopped.

I was listening with my hand clenched in Woo Bin's. I didn't let go of his hand for a single second.

"I see..." I mumbled 

Secreatary Baek cleaned his throat "I think that's all you needed to know. But if you need something else, don't hesitate to call me. I'll leave you alone know" he said and left. My eyes followed him to the door. Then I noticed that some people for a close table were looking at me. I composed myself. 

"Woo Bin... Can we go somewhere with less people?" I asked

Woo Bin understood why I asked him that.

"Sure" he said. He went back to the park lot. I let go of his hand only when I got on his motorbike. I didn't know where we were going, but I wasn't wondering that. I just leaned my hand on Woo Bin's back trying to decide what I wanted to do next. Revenge? Not doing anything? Waiting for that Cha to be caught by someone else?

Woo Bin stopped. I looked around to see the same place where he brought me and Saan the day before. We were close by that reastaurant where we ate, but much closer to the lake. We sat one next to another, on the grass on the lake's shore. It was so... comforting. 

"Sorry." I said

"For what?" he raised his eyebrow

"I know you are in the same situation. I shouldn't have exagerate so much. I shouldn't have dragged you with me.."

Woo Bin put his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him. I leaned my head on his shoulder. 

"I know how you feel. I wouldn't leave you alone even if you'd asked for it." he said

"Why this place?" I asked

"I told you. That's where my father used to bring me. We'll always come here. The day whe he died.. we were supposed to meet here."

The question came back in my mind: what was his side of story? I took his hand in mine and asked:

"How did you find out? He didn't came?"

"He did. But he got a phone call. He left in a hurry, without giving me too much explanations. I was already enrolled in the Police Academy. I wanted to become a policeman since I was Saan's age. I knew he had a mission and ... I took my car and followed him, don't ask me why. His coworkers knew I was studying to become a policeman and I found out from them where he was. I went there... too late. Cha knew that they were trying to set him up and he was prepared. I saw him shooting my father before he runned to his car and left..."

I swallowed "You saw him dying?"

Woo Bin nooded his head. "I ran to him. His last words weren't about revenge. He just said that ...he loves me and omma very much and that he's proud of me and... he wanted me to live my life, without bitter feelings. And it was easier to enjoy it since I met you." he raised my chin making me to look at him. " The kind of girl so brave that she isn't scared by any murder or challenge, who always stood up for herself and for her brother. Who is very smart, but so naive and innocent that she asks me if my wound hurts when we were on the point of being killed by some prisoners at the jail. The kind of girl I only dreamt of.."

"Before you.. well, you saw yourself how angry I got everytime I lost him. I'm not completely over his death, and I doubt I'll ever be."

I cuped his cheecks, he leaned his head and we pressed our lips together. His left hand was still around my waist and he put his right one in my hair.  We were kissing each other like  we were falling apart and the other one was our only rescue... and that was probably true.

"I'm not only a dream" I said "This is the reality. Your reality and I plan to stay."

I felt his smile as he kissed my forehead.