Chapter 18

Unexpected Love

Kim Woo Bin and I were having coffee in our favorite place: Rose.

It was a small, but luminous coffee, placed at five minutes away from Seoul News. It had large windows on three of its walls. On the fourth was placed the counter and a candy bar. The curtains and the tablecloths were red, and there was a red rose drawn on the menu. In order that Rose to feel like home, in a garden, the furniture was made of wood.

Sitting at a small round table next to the window was just beautiful. I hold my head with my palm and stared out the window. I took a big breath and told myself to think, like I always do. 

Just stop worrying about Lee Jang Soo, I thought. Stop, stop, stop! But I couldn't. This man was forced to kill me, but he didn't. He put his life in danger. Even thought I couldn't forget the fear he made me experience, I was not so scared of him anymore. And maybe he will help us find Cha, after all.

The worst thing was that I was not thinking only about it. It is one of my flaws, I think, that everytime when I have a problem, it makes me see all my smaller problems: Saan wants something that I can't afford and that makes both of us sad; I can't pay the bills in time (that happens seldom); I have lot of work to do for the news paper.

"Ieobo, I have lots of thing to do for work, we should leave." I said turning to Woo Bin. 

"Well that's why brought you here in the first place." he said.

"To stop me from doing my job?"

"My dear, you couldn't do your job while you are in this mood." he said. He was right. I knew myself and that was true.

"Still, I can't lose time here-"

"We're not loosing time, we're relaxing. You'll do a better job when you feel better." he said "At least wait until I ask for some sugar and drink my coffee."

"You never put sugar in your coffee." I smiled "But is very sweet of you to do it just to try make me feel better."

"And you wouldn't even drink a coffee with me." he pouted. Then we both started laughing. Going out with him was a great idea. He could always laugh at my problems saying that "I make too much noise for nothing" or making me laugh at my problems. It was nice to have somebody who would help me clear my head from unpleasing thoughts.

"Anyway, we have to go at Saan's football game in half an hour." Woo Bin haid checking his watch. I took my time to admire him while he was talking, like I always do. Thoughts like "How beautiful his eyes are" or "What a gorgeous smile he has" pop in my head all the time when I'm around him. While watching him I saw somebody stepping in the coffe shop.

"Your mother." I said looking at Director Yoon who didn't spotted us yet.

"Hm?"

"Your mother!" I said as loud as somebody who's whispering could.

Woo Bin turned around and saw her. He called her. I watched her coming closer. Should I stand up when she comes like I do at the office? Should I call her "director"? 

This kinds of thoughts were in my head. Kim Woo Bin was my boyfriend, she knows that. I had the guts to tell her that, but I had no clue how to act in this situation.

She gratiously came to us "Hello, how are you? Oh, thank you for letting me sit with you. I took a break from work and this is the nearest place where I could come. My son, would you please go order me a coffee? Just a litte sugar, you know. "

"Sure. I'll come in a minute" 

You better. 

As he walked past one of the tables I heard a woman's voice saying "Oh, look how handsome he is!" I immediately turned my head to see if she was talking about him.

I heard director Yoon giggling and I turned back embarrased.

"Park Shin Hye." she said "I imagine this may be a little difficult for both of us. I have nothing against your relationship with my son. God knows, I do not belive in social class or those 'different worlds' everybody talks about. My marriage is the proof. If there would be a problem with it, I think we both know that this is about our jobs." she stopped and I thought she was waiting for an answer.

"That is true." I said

"But we do not have to find the answer right now. Take your time and think about it"

We we interrupted by Woo Bin who came holding a coup of coffee in one hand and some cookies in the other.

"My favorites!" his mother exclamed "Thank you, sweetheart."

"No problem. Omma, we'd like to stay and chat, but we promised Shin Hye's brother that we will go at his football game."

"You have a brother! I had no idea. How old is he?"

This familiarity was really awkward for me. 

"He's 9 years old."

We said goodbye and left to the football pitch. I knew the score and that my brother marked thrice. But to my shame, I was not attentive to my brother's game. 

I was feeling at ease, knowing that director Yoon had nothing against me. It is natural to want to be not only accepted, but liked. My life with Woo Bin would be difficult if I would avoid his family forever. But I had to think out that situation all by myself. I did not know if I should talk with Woo Bin about that or not. Truth be told, I was thinking about quitting my job. But not without hiring somewhere else. 

"Shin Hye, Woo Bin! Did you saw me?" Saan said running towards us. 

"Sure, we did, you did a great job there." Woo Bin said. He and Saan high fived, which was funny because Saan had to jump to reach Woo Bin's hand.

"He's only asking you because he wants to show off."

"Ya, Shin Hye!"

"Fine! You were good." I laughed "Shall we go home?"

"Uhm..." my brother hesitated "Noona, the team is throwing a party to celebrate the victory. Can I stay? I will go home with Tan's mother."

"For God's sake, Saan, lately she acted like your nanny."

"It's not her fault you've been so busy lately." he said

I had no reply. He was right, I was really busy lately. If he only knew.

"Fine, you can go. Call me" I said

I did not have to say it twice before Saan ran to his friends.

I took Woo Bin's arm as we walked to the car.

"Was I so busy lately?"

"Just like you said it, many things happened. You did your best. This situation won't last much, I promise." he said kissing my forehead.

We arrived at my apartment. Woo Bin remained in the living room. I was very tired and I wanted to have a shower in order to relax. Literally my life is a mess: my father's killer was somewhere out there, wanting to kill me. Lee Jang Soo didn't agree to help us yet. My brother started noticing my absence. I have to think if I want to stay at Seoul News or not, and find a new job if I have to.

I wrapped a towel around myself and went to my room to look for something comfortable to wear. Out of inattention I hit a heavy statue which portrayed a ballerina and that fell off... on my foot.

I let out a scream and in a second the door opened and Woo Bin came in.

"What happened?" he asked concerned. He was next to me in 3 steps.

"I almost smashed my foot, that happened!" I said.I couldn't help but laugh at my foolishness. You'd think my dearest boyfriend would be worried? No. He could barely control his laughter. We both laughed, and laughed... until my towel fell off.