Chapter 1

Unexpected Love

''Park Shin Hye!'' I heard someone calling my name. ''The boss wants to talk to you''

''Do you know what he wants?'' I asked

The secretar shook her head ''He just said he wants to talk to you'' 

I stood up from the chair next to my office. It wasn't my office, actually. There were several desks in the room, each one belonging to a reporter. I saw my workmates looking at me with curiosity. Cannot blame them. Why would the boss want to talk to a begginer reporter? I crossed the room and headed to the door. I entered in the waiting room, decorated modern and minimalistic. I inhalled deeply and I entered in my boss's office.

I have been here just thrice so I wasn't accostumed to it. Director Lee, my boss, was sitting at his desk. Behind him the glass wall let in the sunlight. In my right was a table and two sofas and on the left side of the room were bookcases. In front of the large wodden desk were 2 armchairs. In one of the was sitting the editor-in-chief, Kang So Ra . 

''Good morning, director, editor.'' I greeted politely. 

So Ra smiled friendly at me. We have been friends since chilhood, but even so I wanted to be polite to someone who is my superior and is older than me. Especially in front of my boss.

''Good morning, reporter Park. Take a sit.'' Director Lee said. 

I tried to guess what he wanted to tell me by looking at my friend's face, but So Ra just smiled at me as she knew something I didn't. I sat down. 

''I was talking with editor-in-chief Kang about an article. You definetly heard about K Editure.''

''Of course, director.'' I said

''Well, Mrs. Yoon Son-ha, the owner, agreed to give us an interview. I asked editor Kang who she thinks would be the best reporter who could take her an interview. She chose you.''

I looked at So Ra's face, and I saw that she was struggeling to not laugh, probably because of my surprised face. 

''You worked hard until now and I think it is time to start your career. Until now you wrote just little articles, but I want this one to be on the first page. Are you ready for this responsability? '' Lee asked

Could I say no?!

''Yes, director. I will do my bes.t''

Director Lee smiled ''Good. This is the kind of enthusiasm we need. The interview is tomorrow at 11 am. If you have another questions, ask Kang So Ra.'' 

Both So Ra and I greeted politely and left the room. The secretar who called earlier was absorbed in writing something at her desk. So Ra and I headed to her office. 

''Oh my God!'' I said in excitement ''I will have my first interview! Unnie, thank you so much!"

''Don't be silly, Shin Hye,'' my friend said ''you deserve this. You worked here more than anyone else. You would have get this opportunity without my help anyway. '' 

''Director Lee said you chose me.''

''He said this because he never praise anyone directly.'' So Ra scoffed as she opened the door to her office.''Actually, he told me to choose between you and another 2 reporters who were nothing more than 2 morons who got here just because of their parents. You know how seldom Yoon Son-ha gives interviews, I couldn't let one of them to ruin everything.''  She sat down at her office and her phone called. 

''I have to answer this. Best of luck tomorrow. Yes? .... No , I want that picture on the first page tomorrow .... ''

I left the room, took my bag from my desk and left home to prepare for the next day. As I waited for the bus and all the way home I searched on my phone information about Yoon Son-ha. But since she doesn't give interviews too seldom, as So Ra already said, there was nothing I didn't know already. Yoon Son-ha  was the only daughter of a rich family. Her parents owned the K Editure (the most succesful editure from Korea). They had thousands of libraries all over the world and that for a passionate reader like me it was a big deal. They even owned the National Library of Korea!

 

She was also known for her marriage. Surprisingly, the girl who had been raised to rule this kind of ... cultural empire married to a man who was rather an aventurier than a reader. Kim Ji Woo was by the time they married just on ordinary policeman, but over the years he became the best known from them all. Yoon Son-Ha gave birth to a boy, their single child since her husband died 7 years ago, trying to catch some kind of trafficker.

The bus stopped and I got off. I entered in my apartament and called '' Anybody home?''

"You're finally home!" my 9 year old brother cried out excitedly. He always sais he gets bored when being home alone.

''Sush. I am home  but you don't have to tell this to all our neighbords.'' I said caressing his check ''Why didn't you change your clothes? You'll ruin your school uniform. Go change till I make dinner.'' 

''Fine.." Park Saan agreed

I live alone with my brother. My father died in a car crush 7 years ago, when I was 20 and my brother 2. That's why Saan only has vague memories of him. My mother lived enough to help me move into my apartment in Seoul, but she died almost an year ago because of a heart attack. Then I took my brother to live with me, and since then we only have one another. 

At dinner, he told me excited about his school day, and after I checked his homework he went to watch TV. I stayed up until 1 pm to finish my assignments then I fell asleep . Tomorrow is a big day.

I woke up at 6.30 am to help my brother get ready for school. Afther he left, I rushed to my closet and looked over all my clothes. I wanted to be more than presentable for my first interviw and to make a good first impresion since Yoon Son-ha was known to be a fashionista. 

I took a taxi and I arrived in front of Kim manison just in time. It was an immense building, alike all the buildings in that neighborhood so unfamiliar to me. There was one security guard at the gate, but I at the entry in the house I was welcomed by a butler with a kind smile. I introduced myself to him. 

"Of course, miss Park. Please follow me." He lead me through the perfectly clean and luxurious house, until we reached the living room. 

"Please, make yourself comfortable, miss Park. I will immediately announce Mr. Yoon about your arrival."

I sat down on the chair and waiting for my host to come. Looking out the window I could see a marvelous garden. There were all kinds and colors of flowers and the design was completed by beautiful statues representing fairses or other mythological creatures.

''Miss Park?'' I heard a voice behind my back.

''Mrs. Yoon. '' I said as I stood and we shook hands "It's a pleasure to meet you."

''Pleasure is mine. Please, sit down.'' she said and she sat on the sofa in front of me. A  housekeeper came and put two cups of coffee on the table.

''Should we start?'' my host said 

I imeditely started my interview . It was fine, even if I was nervous. She answered frankly at most of my questions, avoinding gracefully to answer at the ones she found inappropriate. 

''This was all. Thank you for answering my questions.'' I said 

''Already? I didn't even noticed when time passed. You made a really good job.'' she smiled 

''Thank you'' I bowed politely 

''I mean it, I really liked the way you worked. Is your article the way you wanted?" 

I was a little surprised. I didn't expect she to act with such affability, but then again, press is an important power in every country, for it can make or destroy someone's reputation. And Mrs. Yoon didn't fail in being a great host, plus there are plenty of stories of people who she saw potential in, and now they are all in envied positions. "Oh, the interview is perfect, " I said  "but now of course, the pictures that goes with has its own importance.''

She gave me a small smile before she spoke ''Saturday an event will occur at the National Library. We are inaugurating its new wing. Maybe you could come and we will make some pictures right there, what do you think?''

I fought the urge to jump and hug her and managed to say casually, but with gratitude ''That would be wonderful.''

''I will see you on Saturday, then.'' Yoon Son-ha said 

I thanked her one more time, then I took my bag and left. I was almost dancing all the way to the gate. It was even better than I hoped! I took my notes from my bag to read them one more time. I suddenly heard a noise, like a vehicle was stopping suddenly. I looked up to see a motorbike right in front of me. The rider took off his helmet. 

''Ya, what do you think you're doing?'' he yelled with a deep voice raising a thick eyebrow. Dude, this guy has somethig intimidatining in his aura.

''Oh, I wasn't paying attention, I am sorry.'' I said. 

''I am sure you would be sorry if I didn't stop my bike.'' he said. And, without giving me the chance to reply, he left. 

I turned my head, looking after him until I no longer could see his broad shoulders. That wasn't very nice, but nothing could ruin my good mood at that point.

Then I headed to the exit and get on the taxi. I checked my messages. Kang So Ra texted me asking how the interview was. Thrice. Another text was from Saan who was asking me if I can come pick him up from a friends after school. I let out a sigh. My day of work wasn't finished yet and I was already nervous for the following Saturday.

 
-----------------------------------------------------
I apologize for any spelling mistakes. English is my 2nd language. Please comment and upvote and do leave comments, I love reading them!