Chapter 8

Unexpected Love

People.

People, pleople, so many people. That was all you could see at the press conference where Directeor Yoon publically announced that she is the new owner of the best newspaper in the city, Seoul News.

Like I said, the place was crowded. I am working in media, but I don't think I ever saw so many reporters and cameramen in one single room.

After the conference ended I and Director Yoon headed to her office. Now, she was the one sitting at Director Lee's desk. Who thought in the moment when I took her an interview that she will become my boss?

"Park Shin H... Reporter Park, now that we finished with that formality, we need to focus only on the newspaper." Director Yoon said. I understood why she called me reporter again. As you can see, I am calling her director. If somebody thought I am close with the new boss, either I'd be respected, either I'd have big problems.

I heard a knock at the door and Kang So Ra entered. We greeted each other with a smile, without words, in the way the only good and old friends can. Then she bowed respectfully in front of Director Yoon.

"Editor Kang, take a seat" she said. So Ra sat on the armchair in front of me, the same seats we sat on the day I was told I have to interview Yoon Son-ha.

"Until now the news paper talked about politicians or businessmen, economy, sports... From now on I want to have an article about an idol every week. What do you say, editor ?"

"Well, until now our news paper was... serious and only talked about a certain type of events. I think that by bringing color we will improve the paper. In my opinion, we can interview singers and actors, idols as you said, or we can talk about the most recent movies... " Kang So Ra answered

"Very good. An article or two a week on this subject is enough. Let's say.. Monday and Sunday? Let's make them special days. Also, in the last few weeks, what were the most searched articles?"

"Reporter Park published a few days ago an article about a man who was killed in a warehouse. Yesterday she continued to investigate the case, along with the police. They were attacked by somebody, we still don't know by who. This was the most searched news of the day."

"You mean the case you were working with my son?" Director Yoon asked

"Yes, director ."

"This is interesting... Maybe we can do it again. From now on we will publish an article about the most recent police investigations a week." she said determinated. So Ra and I looked confused at one another.

"But, director... Do not you think that we have to talk with the police first? We do not know if they will agree..." I stopped because Director Yoon waved her hand

"I will talk with detective Yoo In-na and with Kim Woo Bin. They will agree. I want one article like this every week. I will call at the police right now. Wait outside."

So Ra and I went out in the waiting room.

"Congrats, Shin Hye!" she said

"For what?"

"What you mean for what? It's obvious she trusts you. You will make a big step in your career."

"Hope so... "

"Editor Kang, reporter Park?" the secreatary called out "Director Yoon wants to see you ."

We go back in the office.

"Reporter Park, you will go right now at police. You will meet there with detective Yoo In-na. She, actually her superior, agreed to give us the opportunity to write about their investigations. Your job is to write an article about it once a week... maybe Wednesday? Editor Kang, see if it is possible and if it is not, tell me which day is right. You both can leave."

You can do anything when you know the right person, I thought. Honestly, I was really impressed.

I called for a cab and headed to the police. When I got there an officer told me that Kim Woo Bin and Yoo In-na are both at the penitentiary, because 15 deliquents were about to be brought there. I considered either to wait there or go after them at jail. But I wanted to finish the job as fast as possible, to go home and spend time with my brother. So I left to the jail.

I saw a truck followed by two police cars. Another two were leading them towards the jail. I realized that the 15 criminals were inside that truck. I continued my way towards the jail and one officer told me that I will find Woo Bin and Yoo In-na at the gates. He, the officer, lead me there .

On our way, I heard the alarm.

"What happened?"  I asked

"No worry, miss. Everything is under control. Please, follow me to the exit."

"If everything is under control, why do we have to exit?"

The alarm didn't stop. I heard a scream and the noice of a gun.

"Please, miss, follow me" the officer said. I nodded my head and we both ran on the corridors towards the nearest exit.

The noise of the alarm stopped after a while. I didn't know if that was a good or a bad sign, I was to shocked to understand what was happening. Every now and then we would heard a gun, a scream or a noise I couldn't define. Suddenly the officer put his arm in front of me, blocking my way. After a second I heard a door knocked down and a man entered on the hall. He was a tall, broad shouldered man. His clothes were stained by something I hoped wasn't blood and he had cuts and scars all over his face and hands. He had a metal pipe in his left hand and a knife in his right one. He was frightening.

"Stop right there!" the office yelled putting his gun out of his pocked. The man smirked in a devlish way and he hitted the officer's stomach with the pipe. The pain made the officer knelt and he dropped his gun. Befor the man could take it, I took the gun from the floor and put it in my back pocket. Then, the man used his knife to cut the officer's throat. The blood spilled on the floor. I let out a scream. That was the first time when the man looked in my eyes. I was terrified. I started running and I heard him running after me.

The corridor and the cells were empty. I found an empty corner and stopped there trying to control my breath. I don't think I run so fast in my entire life. There was a deathly silence, like I was alone in the world. The killer wasn't following me anymore. I didn't know what I should do: wait there or try to find help?

I didn't have time to decide. I heard steps. Someone was coming. My death? Or help?

Another one.

Another tall, stong man who had a knife in his hand. His clothes weren't cleaner than the killer's clothes, but he didn't have so many cuts, except one scar between his left eye and hin chin  A smirk appeared on his face when he saw me and he made his way towards me with big steps. I couldn't run. The officer's killer was still behind me. I had no place to run.

But I still had the gun. I put it out of my pocket. The man laughed sardonically.

"What do you think you're doing with that?" he said with a rough voice and continued his way towards me. He was already too close. I gathered all my courage and I shot. The bullet hit his right leg and he screamed in pain.

"You *#**//%# ! You'll pay for this! " he cursed. Ignoring the pain, he tried to stand. I wanted to run, to run anywhere. But a gun's noise stopped me and my attacker crashed on the floor. My eyes were fixed on him.

"Park Shin Hye?!" I heard a familiar voice.

"Kim Woo Bin!" I said and ran towards him. I hugged him because of the adrenaline. "Thank God " I murmured then I pulled away "What happened? Who are these men?"

"Shin Hye, calm down..."

"How can I be calm!? I was about to die twice in the last hour!"

"The men you saw are killers, thieves, scammers. The 15 men who just came were planning an escape. Somehow they opened the other's cells, too."

"You mean .... all the killers in this jail are free?"

"We are not alone either. 90 police officers are on their way. It won't last more than 15 minutes."

I felt the urdge to scream. How could he be so calm?

But I won't solve anything if I wll scream or cry , I thought

"I have to get you out of here  he said. I nodded my head and followed him.

"Mother called me and told me she sent you here. That was the worst timing I ever saw!"

"How did you find me?"

"I heard when you shot that guy. Wait- where did you find that gun?"

"An officer had been killed. I took it from him."

"Poor guy " he simply said

I studied his looks. Since I met him for the first time, I only saw him wearing expensive clothes and wearing his hair perfectly styled. This time his clothes were dirty and his hair was a mess. Strangely, I didn't think he looked ugly. He was a mess  but a manly beautiful mess. I was relieved that I was no longer alone in that hell. But we both were in danger. His milk white skin had cuts. When I saw his blood-stained shirt I couldn't help asking:

"Is this hurting you?"

He looked at me like I came from another planet

"Yes, you really are different" he murmured, remembering me about our conversation at Bacchus Garden. Then he shook his head like he was saying himself "there is no time for this".

"I'm fine" he told me and we continued our way

Even the noise of our steps was worring me. What if someone hears us? What will happen with Saan if something happens to me? What is he gonna do without me?

I was lost in thoughts and I didn't noticed when Woo Bin stopped from walking until he put his arm on my shoulder and pulled me closer by him. I felt his tensed up body. Following his exaple I kept silent.

F**k , not again !  I thought

I heard again someone coming. Woo Bin and I pressed against the wall.

"Put out your gun  he whispered. I did what I was told.

I could hear the steps coming closer and closer until I saw him. The man who murdered the officer who tried to get me out of that hell. But he didn't have the metal pipe  nor the knife.

He had a gun.

And he used it the moment he spot us. Woo Bin pulled me against the floor so no bullet could hit me. His hands weren't even trembling when he held the gun. He shot the man. I looked up to see that the bullet hit the killer's left shoulder, maybe his heart.

Then silence. Just silence, except our breaths.

"Is anybody there?" I heard somebody calling out  Woo Bin pointed the gun towards the direction from where we heard the voice, ready to shoot anybody who wanted to take his life.

"You are surrounded! If you have guns or knives put them on the floor and surrender!" another voice cried. This time a familliar voice.

"Hyung, we're here ! " Woo Bin shouted

I stood. Towards us were coming 5 officers with Ko Ghang Seok leading their way.

"Kim Woo Bin! I though I lost you!" Ghang Seok said. I could swore that I saw tears in his eyes. Yeah, Ko Ghang Seok was a big, sensitive man.

"Shin Hye, are you alright?" Woo Bin asked me

"I'm fine." I said

"Park Shin Hye ?! You shouldn't be here! " Ghang Seok said surprised

"Yeah, I agree. Did you caught all of them "

"Almost. But don't worry, the way towards the exit is empty. You can leave. Woo Bin, go with her."

"You're kidding, I'm coming with you!"

"You are hurt. Shin Hye, you won't belive it!  I think he caught 10 prisoners all by himself. Then he fought with 3 of them and he saved 2 officers before he runned after the 4th prisoner. Then we lost him."

"I still can help you " Woo Bin declared

"I know you can help us, but you are hurt ... "

"I am fine and I will come with you." Woo Bin said. This guy can be so stubborn.

"Lee, lead with Park Shin Hye to the exit." he told an officer

"Yes, sir! Miss, please follow me."

"Take care" Woo Bin said to me before he left along with Ghang Seok and all the officers except that Lee who had to lead me towards the exit .

Is this nightmare over ?