Chapter 4

Unexpected Love

I hate hospitals. They remember me about my parents's death. I saw both of them dying on a hospital bed. That's why I try to avoid hospitals as much as I can, but that time I had no choice. 

We found room 37. Like he did at the elevator, Woo Bin opened the door for me and let me enter first. The whole room was white: the walls, the floor, the bed. The bed. That man was lying on the bed. His skin was so pale that I thought he was dead. His mouth was half opened, his eyes were closed. He was breathing with the help of some device. I felt my knees weak, but I got closer. 

''God please help me be strong until I get out of here. This is important. I can faint after I finish my job '' I prayed 

I heard a knock at the door and a man entered. 

''I am doctor Ahn.'' he said '' Detective Kim, I suppose?'' 

"I am detective Kim. This is reporter Park Shin Hye. She writes an article about the investigation."

I nodded my head and tried to smile when Woo Bin introduced me. 

''How is the victim's condition?'' he asked 

''I am afraid not too good. We did our best, but I have to tell you that I do not think the patient will recover.'' the doctor said 

''Is there any possibility for him to open his eyes, at least for a little period of time?" Woo Bin asked. Both me and the doctor looked at him surprised. What was he talking about? ''A little period of time'' ? Like enough for him to ask the man a couple of questions and then he could die?  Doesn't he know the difference between doing your job with calm and being a cynical jerk?

''If his condition doesn't get better in the next 48 hours we have no hope...'' the doctor said 

''I will wait here'' Woo Bin said determined.  Is this guy out of his minds?

''You... you want to wait here for 2 days?'' doctor Ahn asked more confused 

''Yes.''

''Very...'' the doctor cleaned his throat ''Very good. If you need something, please let me know.''

''Doctor Ahn, please wait" I said ''May I ask you a few questions about the victim's actual condition?''

The doctor seemed relieved that I wasn't as cynical as Woo Bin, so he nooded his head and told me that we'd better talk outside. On the hall I asked him to describe the man's state so I can publish it. 

I entered again in the room and I found Woo Bin sitting on a chair. His arms crossed, his eyes fixed on the victim. He looked lost in thoughts, because he didn't even notice when I entered. He woke up just when his phone rang. 

"Hyung, did you find something? ... Bring it to me here, I can't leave... " then his voice became commanding ''If the guy wakes up, I want to be here. I can't leave. Bring me the raport or send some officer with it." he said and then he hung up.

"What happened?" I asked

''Det. Ko Ghang Seok found out who the man wa- who the man is. If you want to leave I will send you the information- ''

''It's fine, I will wait here.''

Woo Bin slightly frowned ''Are you sure?''

"Why wouldn't I?"

He shrugged and nodded his head to the chair next to him. I sat down and we waited for Ko Ghang Seok. We didn't talk , because Woo Bin's thoughts were obviously somewhere else. After a good half an hour, Ghang Seok came. He looked annoyed, but he smiled when he greeted me.

"Never have I seen a man more stubborn than this one is ... Oh hello, miss Park. How are you?"

I said I was fine and I asked him to call me by my little name.

''I will if you will do the same.'' then he turned to Woo Bin "Look, just because everyone listen to what you say it doesn't mean you can tell me what to do all the time! I am not working for you!"

''Don't yell, we are in a hospital. Did you find something?'' Woo Bin asked calmly. He was probably used with his friend's funny way of expessing his anger .

"Here" Ghang Seok handed Woo Bin a folder and then continued "Name: Yi Sung Min. Age : 51. We already know this from the ID card we found in his pocket. Yoo In-na found out that he lives in a slum in the north part of Seoul. He doesn't work at the warehouse, actually he doesn't have a job at all. He was arrested for theft several times in the past 10 years."

"Do we have video recordings?" Kim Woo Bin asked still reading the report

"In an old warehouse? Hyung, I told you, you need to rest. You work too hard- "

"Not there. We found his ID and, money and all those documents with him. Would you take it with you if you wanted to go at an old warehouse? He was probably in the city when something or someone made him go there. Check the CCTV from the streets around."

"You want me to check the CCTV from all Seoul?!"

"If we need it. Our job is to find out who shot him."

"Isn't it simple ?! The guy lives in a slum where are dozen of thieves and traffickers. One of them had a problem with him and BOOM! he shot him."

"It is not that simple" Woo Bin said through his teeth. I noticed that, unlike his friend, he didn't scream when he was angry. He tried to control it, as he was trying to prevent some catastrophe.

"Both of you stop. Or you could start screaming again after you explain me how this will help us." I said. I can't work when people around me are screaming. Fights make me sick.

"If you do not check the CCTV, I will do it all by myself. But first, I will wait here until this man opens his eyes." Woo Bin said. He was so serious that I really thought he would. And Ko Ghang Seok thought the same, because he sighed and said:

"Fine. But first, go to eat something. I know you didn't have lunch. I will stay here until you come back. "

Kim Woo Bin seemed unconvinced. He looked again at the man lying on the bed. Then he stood and said "If he wokes up, call me."

"Park Shin Hye, why don't you go with him? Maybe you want to eat something, too." Ghang Seok said

"I think I will buy myself a coffe." I said

I already don't have to mention that Woo Bin let me exit first. I was already convinced that his mother raised him to be a gentleman. When I walked on the corridor two men carrying a stretcher containing an injured woman walked past me. Again those deep cuts. Again doctors and nurses running around trying to cure someone who is dying. Again those memories. Again I felt my knees weak, but this time, I found support in something. Two strong arms that were holding me. And a deep voice asking me "Are you fine?"

"Yes, I'm fine. Thank you, Kim Woo Bin." I answered

"Come, sit down." he said. A few meters away was a door. We exit in the garden and he lead me towards the closest bench. Then he told me to wait a minute and left. When he came back he had two coffees in his hands.

"Here." he said handing me a coup of coffe.  "  hope you don't have special tastes, I didn't know what to buy."

"It's fine" I smiled

"I noticed you are not used to injured persons. First at the warehouse and then when you first saw the man. That's why I asked you if you want to leave before Hyung came. " he said

"I hate hospitals " I said after a pause. " They remember me... they remember me about my parents's death"

 I looked at him and I saw again a look in his eyes. He broke eye contact and said "I understand"

 I knew he did. I knew about his father. Maybe we have more thing in common than I expected.