Eight

Photograph [Broken Memories #2]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Her brother was usually away for most of the year so when he came back she was usually happy to see him.  Seungwan heard the van pull up around eight in the morning announcing the arrival of her brother and her dad.  She bounded down the stairs and nearly slipped on the carpeting on her way down.  Her mom was already outside hugging her brother and telling him how much see missed him, in addition to crying over how long it been since she’d last seen him.

Her brother was tall and scrawny as far as most guys went but girls seemed to like him because he had the all the right genes.  She had never once thought her brother was attractive but it wasn’t her opinion that matter when it came to things like that.  His hair had grown out from the last time she saw him, which had been during his spring break.  Sungmin was never unhappy to see her either because he had a bright smile on his face when he saw her.  He let go of there mother and scooped Seungwan in for a hug.

“You look happy to see me,” he noted.

“I’m always happy to see you,” she said, rolling her eyes.  “So how’s life?  How’s college?  How’s your girlfriend doing?”

“Dude, I just got here.  Can you slow down with the questions?”

Seungwan huffed and walked away but only as a joke.  She understood that he might want to get this things unpacked and relax before he started telling her stories about what it was like to go to college.  She went outside to help her dad, who was carrying boxes of Sungmin’s things into the house while her brother went on to tell their mom that everything at school was going great and that his girlfriend was very much real.  They had doubted at one point if she even existed but there had been one day a girl had been with him as they all video chatted and she’d been very pretty from what Seungwan remembered.

She took a few boxes from the trunk and wrinkled her nose at the smell coming from them.  It seemed as if her brother had not done any of his laundry.  Boys were so gross sometimes and even more so when they happened to be brothers.

“He’s such a slob sometimes,” Seungwan told her dad.

“Both of you get that from me,” her dad chuckled.  “Your mother used to not be as clean either but then she married me and realized that one of us had to be a neat freak.”

Seungwan snorted and shook her head.  Her parents had a relationship that she would never understand.  They hardly ever acted like they were in love, but instead it was as if they were best friends.  She wondered what their story was but then she always figured that hearing about her parents’ love lives would be very awkward.  She couldn’t imagine hearing about either of them dating and meeting with people other then each other.

When they’d managed to bring all of boxes into his room, they let him have some time to himself so he could unpack and get everything sorted out.  Seungwan helped her mom make lunch in the meantime.  They were making some of Sungmin’s favorite dishes now and the rest of them all for dinner.  It wouldn’t be wrong to dedicate the meals to him, especially because he hadn’t had a nice home cooked dish since spring break.

Her mom stirred a few things in a pot while shaking her hips to the beat of the mix that Seungwan had put on.  She giggled at her mom’s ridiculousness.  She was actually very glad that her mom wasn’t the type to be uptight and rigid.  The kitchen was full of life and even her dad joined in a little dancing from the living room. 

Her brother couldn’t have been more horrified when he finally came down.  He was staring at the three of them with his mouth open in shock and the look of mild amusement on his face.  Then in a true Sungmin like fashion he began to dance around like an idiot too. 

“I see that these are the things that I miss out when I go off to college.  I’m actually disappointed,” he said.

She rolled her eyes at him and began chopping a head of broccoli, careful to not use her knife with a few dance moves.  When all that she needed to do was done, she sat down in the living room with Sungmin so he could finally answer her questions.

“So how is everything?” she said, practically dying in her seat.  Okay, well she wasn’t dying but she was just really excited to hear about what her big brother had been up to.

“Everything’s perfect.  I did great in my classes, my girlfriend and I are going steady and my friend stopped doing drugs so I’m all good,” he told her.

It all sounded great except for that one thing.  “Your friends do drugs?  Why are you hanging out with people like that?”

Sungmin sighed as if he were talking to a child, which he was but she didn’t appreciate that one bit.  She usually let him have his moments of seniority because she knew that he liked being the older kid.  This was completely not cool, in her opinion, because she felt as though she were the one being more mature in the situation.  Seungwan couldn’t believe he was taking an issue such as drug use so lightly.  He was never one to be shun people

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter