Chapter 8: Is It Too Late?

I'm Sorry... but I Love You

-Seohyun's ward-

Seohyun:"........Op...pa...."

Yonghwa eyes watered as he staggered little by little towards Seohyun. He tried to reach out his hands towards her, but she quickly avoided his touch. He was a disappointed thinking if she was mad at him.

Yonghwa:"Juhyun ah......"

Her whole body shivered as he called her name. Her real name. Her real name that he was always so eager to call out with joy, happiness and energy. But this time, it was a little off. A little cold.

He sat down beside her as Seohyun's head turned away from him. She tried really hard to hold back the tears that were already filling up. She clenched her fists hard. Yonghwa looked at her hand, it had a thick needle attached at the back of her hand. He saw how hard she was clenching her fist, as her legs beneath the blanket could not stop moving. He hesistated, but slowly, held onto her tense fist. This time Seohyun gave in, and did not avoid but let him. His warm hands held onto her ice cold fist, as Seohyun instantly relaxed her whole body. She gradually relaxed that fists of hers, as Yonghwa interlocked his fingers with hers gently, afraid that he will hurt her. She was longing for his touch so much. It seemed like her heart slowed down as well. Her tears just spilled from her eyes as she turned towards Yonghwa. This was the first time she had a close look at him ever since that day. Her heart ached looking at him. He did not shave, his eyes were tired, his eye bags were so dark and were hanging low below his eyes, his hair was in a total mess, his lips were so dry and she could smell a reek of alchohol coming from him. She was shocked as she knew Yonghwa would never touch alchohol unless he really had to, like at gatherings. Even so, he would drink very minimal and never once he had drank this much. She felt so sorry, that she had caused him to end up in this state. She saw how his eyes were swelled up and red from all the crying. Her other hand gradually moved towards to side of his cheek. Yonghwa's tears just rolled down his face. He himself was also longing for her touch, except her hand was really cold like it had no blood in it. He felt so guilty he treated her that way. Her state was no better than his, she looked weak and tired. The both of them just stared at each other without saying anything for a couple of minutes. The silence was finally broken when Seohyun finally regained her senses. Her cold attitude towards Yonghwa returned. She immediately let go of his hand hastily. Yonghwa just looked at her, dazed.

Seohyun:"What are you doing here? We're over aren't we?"

Yonghwa was confused for a second, but quickly realised what was going on. She was trying to keep the show going until the very end.

Yonghwa:"Really Juhyun? Really...?"

Yonghwa gave her the look, implying that he knew everything and she need not keep aiming for her Oscar award.

Seohyun:"Huh...?"

Yonghwa held onto Seohyun's hand again. She wanted to let go again but Yonghwa grabbed onto her hand tightly.

Yonghwa:"I'm not letting you go again. I'm not."

The words rung in her head. She was really touched, but knew that leaving him would make his life better.

Seohyun:"Oppa.. Leave I don't want to see you."

Seohyun was still trying to continue her act. Yonghwa scoffed as he said,

Yonghwa:"Stubborn Seo Juhyun, is stubborn indeed. Yah. You think Oppa is stupid or what?"

Seohyun:"Oppa. I'm serious leave. You don't deserve any of this. You don't deserve to go through what I'm going through."

Yonghwa:"Hey. Taeyeon already told me what happened."

Seohyun's heart suddenly paused when she heard that Taeyeon had already spilled the beans to him. She was momentarily angry at her Unnie and pulled a long face.

Yonghwa:"Don't be mad at her. She couldn't take my stupid attitude anymore and just told me off. She was yelling and screaming the outta me. She was the one who woke me up and realise what I did. It's not her fault alright?"

Seohyun just kept quiet.

Yonghwa:"You babo. Why didn't you tell me earlier? You think by doing this is going to make my life any better? Is this going to change anything? If you think so  then, Seo Juhyun you are so very wrong. You are my life, without you, there's no me you hear me?"

Seohyun was really stunned when Yonghwa said that. Yonghwa then took out the necklace from his pocket and showed it to her. Seohyun eyes widened in shock as she thought :"How?.... That's right, I had it before, but... how?" Seohyun completely forgotten about the necklace ever since she woke up. Seohyun couldn't help it and without her knowing, she slipped out what she ws thinking in her head.

Seohyun:"But....How...."

Yonghwa gave a faint smiled as he touched the pendant and said,

Yonghwa:"No matter how far this goes, or where ever is it, it will eventually come back to me because this is meant to mine. You know why?... It's because this, is your heart. It will follow me wherever I go."

Seohyun eyes teared up upon hearing what he said. Although she knew it was probably Taeyeon who gave it to him.

Yonghwa:"I haven't put it on yet. You know why?"

Seohyun just continued looking at him, waiting for his reply. Yonghwa opened her hand and placed the necklace in her hand as he closed it tightly. She looked at the fist he made, feeling puzzled.

Yonghwa:"Because I am going to wait for you to put it back for me."

Seohyun was speechless. She felt sorry for keeping Yonghwa in the dark all this time. 

Yonghwa:"No matter how much you push me away, I will always come back to you in the end. There's no point pushing me away, because it is not going to work. I will stay by your side no matter what happens, and you can't do anything about it. I don't care if It will risk my career or my life. I will stay here and I'm not leaving ever. I won't give up you. I won't give up on us. Ever. You hear me Seo Juhyun?"

Yonghwa was firm and sincere with what ever he just said. He meant it real good. Seohyun was crying so much, but without any sound. She really didn't know what to say. She was so touched to see him acting this way but then, that was not what she wanted. Yonghwa was also tearing up at the sight of his girl getting weaker and weaker by the minute. He cannot lose her. She just meant too much to him. She cannot leave him alone again. 

Seohyun:"Oppa no.. You can't stay with me. I'm dying. I can't give you anything. I won't last anymore. Oppa, you deserve better. Leave me."

Seohyun hated herself so much for saying this, but she cannot bear to see Yonghwa suffering with her. Yonghwa got angry as he raised his voice a little, and Seohyun got startled at how worked up he was.

Yonghwa:"NO! I don't care how long you are going to live. I'm going to spend every single minute and every single second with you. Seo Juhyun don't you dare say that. You will be fine. You hear me? Do you really want to leave me? Do you want to leave your Unnies and your family?"

Seohyun was quiet, as she did not know what to say. Her tears just kept flowing and flowing.

 

-Outside Seohyun's ward-

*Running sounds*

The girls who were looking depressed and sad, suddenly shot their heads up and wondered who was that.

 

Seohyun's parents.

 

-Flashback-

Before the doctor left,

Doctor:"I will go inform her parents."

Taeyeon:"No. Doctor. Wait.... Umm..."

Doctor:"Yes.. Taeyeon-shii..?"

Taeyeon hesitated for awhile as she continued,

Taeyeon:"Do you think it's okay for me to do it instead?"

The doctor pondered for awhile.

Doctor:"Yeah.. Sure, why not. Just inform them as soon as possible."

Taeyeon:"Kamsahamnida doctor. Yes I will"

They exchanged bows and the doctor left.

The members were a little worried whether Taeyeon would be able to covey the news to Seohyun's parents or not.

Yoona:"Unnie... Are you sure you are going to do it? I think it'll be better for the doctor to tell them instead."

Tiffany:"Yoona's right Taeyeon ah... You wouldn't know how they'll react."

Taeyeon:"It's fine. I'll know what to say, and I've some stuff to tell them as well."

Yoona:"Alright Unnie. If you need us, we'll be here."

The girls then left Taeyeon to be alone to make the call. She inhaled and exhaled deeply, as she gained the courage to call. She really did not know how she was going to tell them, but she thought it would better for her to say it instead of the doctor. She dialed the numbers slowly and it rang

*RING RING RING*

(NOTE: I will address them as mom and dad in the dialogues as it'll be tedious to write Seohyun's mom and Seohyun's dad.)

 

Mom:"Yeobosaeyo?"

Taeyeon:"Ommonim, It's Taeyeon."

Mom:"Oh Taeyeon ah! What a surprise that you called. Geurae, how are you Taeyeon ah?"

Taeyeon:"I'm very well ommonim.."

Taeyeon really did not know how to open to say it. She couldn't bring herself to do it. It was too cruel.

Mom:"That's great! What about Juhyun-ie? She hasn't called me in the past few days. You girls must be very busy these past few weeks."

Taeyeon:"Neh.. We've been a little packed for the past couple of weeks.....Ommonim......."

Taeyeon started to cry. She couldn't hold them anymore. The girls who were not far away from her could hear their leader breaking down. Tiffany ran over to Taeyeon to comfort her.

....................................

....................................

Mom:"Tayeon ah?! Waegeuraeya? Don't cry.. What happened?"

Seohyun's mom got anxious as her heart beated faster and faster.

Taeyeon:"I'm sorry... Ommonim.. Juhyun... She's..."

Taeyeon was crying so bad that her words were beginning to sound incoherent.

Mom:"What happned to woori Juhyun-ie?"

Seohyun's mom was really scared and her eyes started to tear up as she braced herself for the news she was about to hear. She prayed inside that it would not be anything too serious.

Taeyeon:"Juhyun... She's in the hospital now... And...."

Mom:"And...?!"

Taeyeon:"She's not going to make it past midnight...."

Seohyun's mom just paused as her heart froze and skipped a beat. She could not handle the news. She was confused as it happened so sudden, she had so many questions and she could not absorb anything. She thought that Taeyeon was joking, but she could hear the seriousness and anxiousness in Taeyeon's voice and could tell it was not a joke at all. She decided not to ask anything and just said.

Mom:"I'm coming over."

And hung up. Taeyeon removed the phone from her ear and turned to look at Tiffany. She clenched her phone hard as she breathed in deeply.

Taeyeon:"She's on her way."

-End of flashback-

 

Seohyun's mom and dad looked really worried and anxious. Seohyun's mom's eyes were red and swollen. It was clear that she cried quite a bit. They ran towards the girls. The 8 girls immdiately stood up as they greeted their elders. Seohyun's mom immediately cut to the chase as she grabbed onto Taeyeon's two arms. Taeyeon was flustered and did not know what to do. Taeyeon was about to break into tears again seeing Seohyun's mom like this. She felt that she had failed her. As an Unnie and as a leader, she promised to protect and embrace each and everyone of the girls. However, she felt like she failed her parents. She failed to protect their Maknae. Seohyun was their only child, but they were going to lose their one and only daughter. She felt useless. Not only as an Unnie and as a leader, but as a person. She failed to protect the peoeple she loved the most. Her members. She just stayed still and tried to calm Seohyun's mom down.

Mom:"Juhyun... Where's she?"

The despair and anxiousness in her eyes were explicitly shown. Taeyeon did not know what to do as she stared at Seohyun's mom crying.

Taeyeon:"Ommonim... Ommonim, don't cry please. I'm sorry..."

Mom:"...........................*cries.....*"

Dad:"Taeyeon ah... I'm sorry, and you be shouldn't be sorry. It's not your fault. Nobody wanted this to happen."

Taeyeon:"Ahnimnida Ahbonim, she's inside with Yonghwa..."

Dad:"Yonghwa...?"

Taeyeon nodded, as she guided her parents to the door.

Taeyeon:"I'm sorry Ommonim, Ahboji. I failed to protect Juhyun... I'm deeply apologetic."

Dad:"Ahniya Taeyeon ah, it's not your fault."

Though Seohyun's dad did not really show any sign of sadness, but every parent on earth would be feeling the same without a doubt if their child were to be in such a state. His heart was breaking into pieces inside.

Taeyeon:"I'll leave now. If you need me, I'll be outside Ahboji."

Dad:"Ahrasso Taeyeon ah.. Gomawo."

Taeyeon bowed and left to return back to the girls.

Seohyun's dad placed his arms around Seohyun's mom's shoulder to comfort her. They were still outisde her door. They were too afraid to go in yet.

Dad:"Yeobo...Don't cry, woori dal (daughter) would be upset to see you crying..."

He then used his thumbs to wipe off her tears. Seohyun's father decided to take the lead as he slowly opened the door knob. Right before their eyes was their daughter lying in bed, in pain, looking weak as ever. And Yonghwa. Seohyun's parents were never too fond of Yonghwa.

Seohyun's mom could not help it as her tears gushed out again as she ran towards their daughter, and her father behind her. Both of them totally ignored Yonghwa's presence as they barged in between Yonghwa and Seohyun, leaving Yonghwa at the side feeling totally absurd, flustered and confused. Seohyun on the other end was completely stunned and thought that she was dreaming. What are her parents doing here? :Oh my god. This isn't good." She thought. She herself was feeling confused and flustered as well. Her mom just went berserk showering her daughter with a million questions. 

Mom:"JUHYUN AH! SAESANGEH! JUHYUN AH..... WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU?!?"

Seohyun mom was yelling at her as she was completely broken down looking at her daughter in this state. It reminded her about the times when Seohyun was still a young kid, she was sick alot and had to frequently visit the hospital. The sight of that just broke her parents' hearts. Now that she was all grown up and nothing major had happened to her health, but then this came. It was the same feeling all over again. She hated it.

Dad:"Yeobo! Calm down! You're in a hospital. Let her speak."

Her dad immdiately took charge and calmed that wife of his.

Seohyun:"Omma? Appa? What... What?? How.... Did you..??"

Seohyun was totally confused and it happened so quickly she had no time to react. Her dad then told her that Taeyeon had informed them and they rushed down. The 3 of them were crying as Seohyun was feeling guilty as hell, for making the two most important people in her life so worried sick. She then told them everything and the 3 of them just cried their hearts out. Yonghwa was just standing at the side watching the whole situation. He could not help but tear up as well.  After the long talk the family had, Seohyun looked over to Yonghwa. Her parents followed her gaze and had totally forgotten that Yonghwa was still around. Yonghwa then quickly realised what was going on and hastily greeted them. They were really not pleased to see him here. Actually it was more of Seohyun's mom not being fond of him. Her dad on the other hand was okay with Yonghwa. Seohyun's mom then coldly asked,

Mom:"What are you doing here? Haven't you hurt my daughter enough? Leave. I don't wish to see you here.."

Yonghwa was flabbergasted and did not know what to do. Seohyun's dad then tried to talk his wife in,

Dad:"Yeobo... Don't do this..."

Seohyun was just staring at her parents, then stared at Yonghwa looking helpless. She in as she confidently said,

Seohyun:"Omma, don't. I love this man with all my heart."

Her mom was in total objection with what she just said.

Mom:"Juhyun ah..."

Seohyun immdiately cut her mom's words before she could even continue.

Seohyun:"Omma... I really love him. So does he. I'm about to die already. Just let us be."

Seohyun by then was looking and feeling weak. She felt as though anytime soon she was going to go unconcsious and proabably never wake up again. She teared up at the thought that her life was ending. Not that she was afraid of death, but the fact that she had to let go of the people she loved most. Her members, her family and her man.

Yonghwa suddenly got agitated with what Seohyun just said. He looked at his girl getting paler and weaker by the minute. Her face was slowly losing colour. Taeyeon's words suddenly came into his mind again,

 

"It's not too late to do the right thing..."

 

Yonghwa suddenly forced himself to Seohyun's bed side as he grabbed her hand. Her parents were shocked as they never thought he would just push them apart. He was still holding onto her hand and there was so much determination in his eyes. Seohyun had never seen this side of him before. She was just completely mesmerized by his eyes that it felt like everything around them disappeared. Just Yonghwa and her.

Yonghwa:"Seo Juhyun, you listen to me. You are not going to die. As long as I'm alive you are not going anywhere. You hear me? We wasted too much time already. I cannot afford to lose you again Seo Juhyun."

Seohyun was just dazed. She was speechless. Her mind was a blank. She did not know what to say.

Yonghwa then turned towards Seohyun's parents. Her parents were slightly taken aback by the 'fire' in Yonghwa's eyes, as he spoke,

Yonghwa:"Ahbonim, Ommonim. I love Juhyun, with all my heart and with all my life. I would do anything for her, even if it were to cost my life. I hope you will give me your blessings and be my witnesses............ I, am going to marry her. "

Seohyun's parents and Seohyun herself gasped. Her parents just looked at each other with their mouths slightly opened. They do not know what to say or do. Yonghwa turned back to Seohyun as he used his two hands and grasped onto Seohyun's hand. Seohyun was really getting weaker and weaker. 

Yonghwa:"I don't care if it's 10 years or 10 seconds, but I will spend every single moment with you and I'm never letting you go." 

Seohyun was tearing upon hearing what Yonghwa had said.

Yonghwa:"Seo Juhyun, will you marry me right here, right now..?"

Yonghwa just proposed to her girl spontaneously, right there, right at that moment. He made a stupid mistake once, he was definitely not going to fail her again the second time. He was going to do what he thought was right. And that was to make her, his.

Seohyun was dumbstrucked. She had never expected any of this to happen. She was so happy, she really was. She thought even if she was going to die, she was going to die with no regrets. But inside, she knew she cannot be this selfish. She loved this man. She really does. And she knew that he loved her much more. She was lost for words.

Seohyun:"Oppa... I...."

Yonghwa was anticipating for her answer when suddenly, 

 

Seohyun:"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

 

......................................................................

 

Seohyun screams boomed in the hospital. The machines were beeping wildly and loudly, Seohyun was in tremendous pain. Her head felt like it was going to explode. Tears were flowing out. Tears of extreme pain. It was excruciating. Her head felt like a thousand knives jabbing in to it.

The girls heard her scream from outiside as Taeyeon and the other girls were astonished.

 

Taeyeon thought:"No..No...No....... Please... No.. Don't..."

 

As she ran as fast as she could to the door with the other girls behind her. Taeyeon swung the door opened, and saw Yonghwa holding onto Seohyun unconscious body as her head rested in Yonghwa's arms. Seohyun's parents were just freaking out on the side.

Tears filled up Taeyeon's eyes, as she muttered,

"Andwae...."

She and the other girls were still at the door looking at the whole situation and just froze there.  

Yonghwa just went crazy as her parents were crying and crying at the back.

Yonghwa:"SOMEONE CALL THE DOCTOR!!!!"

Yonghwa yelled, hoping someone would so something. No... He was going to lose her... He was going to lose her for good. He did not even get the chance to do the right thing. He begged God with all his heart to not take away this angel from him. "Please, take me instead, spare her please.." He thought as tears were flowing uncontrollably.

Sunny and Hyoyeon somehow regained their senses as they ran to find the doctor. Tears were trailing behind them as they ran and ran.

The machines were slowing down as her heart beat was decreasing on the monitor.

 

*BEEEP....BEEEP....BEEEP...BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~~~*

 

Yonghwa:"NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!! ANDWAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

 

Taeyeon suddenly dropped her cellphone on the ground, the screen showed a picture of the 9 girls smiling and having fun. Taeyeon was staring at it for a long time while they were outside. She ran towards Seohyun's bedside and knelt there, as her tears choked her up. The other girls were still standing at the door with their hands covering their mouth as tears gushed out like a tsunami.

Yonghwa:"JUHYUN AH!!!!!!!!!!!"

 

-To be continued-

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-A/N:Hey guys sorry it's been awhile since I last updated. School has been piling up on me T.T Anyway, thanks for your patience, you guys are the best!! Spoiler: don't hate on me yet, it's not the end yet okay? There's still more to come. Hehehe. Just anticipate what's gonna happen next. I will most probably upload again some time this week. As always, thanks for your support. Keep commenting! Luv you guys! Till' next time, BYE BYE!! :D-