Day 0110

06:20

DAY 0110


"I’m glad you didn’t turn down my request,” Jackson greeted as he approached Youngji, who was waiting for him for thirty minutes.

“I’m also glad you didn’t forget, because I’m about to screw this hangout if you didn’t come any sooner,” she replied sweetly (and with sarcasm).

“Sorry, I still called someone to set up the place we’ll be going.”

“Oh,” she mumbled. “Now you’re here, let’s go already. I don’t want to waste time.”

Instead of nodding, Jackson grabbed Youngji’s arm. The girl was about to protest, but Jackson motioned her not to complain. He walked fast while grabbing her. She tried her best to catch up with his pace, but she gave up in the end.

“Hey, can you slow down? I’m not a runner, okay?” She requested instead of trash-talking him.

Without any words, he complied. They walked a little bit slower until they reached the bus station. They weren’t talking in the long queue, same with the whole trip when they were inside the vehicle. It seemed like they had a cold shoulder for each other, but that wasn’t the case. Youngji woke up a little bit early today, making her sleepy. Jackson had drinks with his roommates the night before, making him feel groggy and sober. Good thing he still remembered that he had a hangout set with Youngji, or he’ll screw up for sure.

When they arrived at their destination, Youngji had a confused face with her, while Jackson was smiling widely at the establishment in front of them.

“Welcome to the Light of China Foundation,” Jackson proudly said as he extended his arms.

Youngji didn’t know how to react. She was in a new place, yet a familiar feeling started to climb to her. No, it was already her past. All is well in that certain moment. It just happened that the sadness came back, nothing special.

“Hey, aren’t you going inside with me?” Jackson asked after noticing a spaced-out Youngji.

“Sorry, I’ll follow,” she replied, trying to be calm as possible. When Jackson finally got inside, Youngji knew that there was no way to go. She needed to face her past, even though this orphanage has nothing to do with her.

She started to have a hunch at who Jackson was.

Two receptionists welcomed them at the lobby. Jackson knew who the receptionists were, as they were the ones who took care of him when he was a part of the foundation (well he still is, by heart). Jackson greeted them and asked where the kids were. The two gladly told the directions to the foundation’s playground, until one noticed about Jackson’s companion.

“Is she Youngji?”Jia, the one with bangs, asked.

“Yup, she’s the one!”Jackson enthusiastically answered.

“Welcome to the foundation,” Jia greeted. “I hope you enjoy your visit to the kids here.”

“And I hope she enjoys being with Jackson for the whole day,” the other receptionist, Fei, added.

Youngji just shook her head and chuckled. Jackson told them to cut it off, as he felt discomfort at Fei’s statement. After an exchange of words, the two visitors headed for the playground.

“Do the kids here know you?” Youngji asked after managing to calm down and breathe in.

“They do,” happily said. “I’m their big brother, you know!”

“Jackson!” As if on cue, all the kids playing greeted him.

Jackson started hugging the kids, which made Youngji step back. They do know Jackson, she thought.

When Jackson was finally done hugging them, he introduced her. The kids asked if Youngji was Jackson’s fancy, Youngji immediately crossed her arms to tell no, and Jackson’s face blushed in a split second. Good thing Youngji wasn’t looking at her, or he’s screwed.

The two sophomores played with the kids as if they were the same age as them. Jackson played ball with the guys, while Youngji was entertaining them with their tea party. At some point, the two would look at each other and chuckle. It was a good experience for the two to bond with the kids and to relieve the happy parts of their childhood.

When the two were done helping the workers give snacks to the kids, they finally had a time to talk to each other. They went back to the playground and sat at the bench beside the sandbox.

“Did you like the kids?”Jackson asked as ice breaker.

“I loved them,” she replied.

“I’m glad you liked them. I hope we’ll go back here together.”

Youngji sighed at his statement. She suddenly remembered that this was their last hangout before they’d go back to school. She was a bit sad about the thought of it, but every cloud has a silver lining.

She’ll see Hongbin in a week.

Damn, she missed that guy.

They haven’t talked since the day after Hongbin’s treat to her. She was somehow busy with her school work, plus she was also doing a lot of errands before Christmas, and Jackson happened, too.

She’ll miss that idiot.

“This place was my home,” Jackson started to open up.

She smirked inside. Her hunch about Jackson being an orphan was right.

“Everything was actually fine in my life, not until we migrated here to Korea,” he started off. “You see, I’m a Chinese-Canadian citizen that happened to have ¼ Korean-blood. I lived in Canada until I was two, and then we migrated to Hong Kong until I finished middle school.

“It was already the day of our flight to Korea. My parents told me that I had to go first because they had a sudden issue at the embassy. I did what they told me, fly to Korea by my own. When I arrived at the Incheon Airport, I stayed there until my parents came. They would probably scold me for not looking at a hotel to stay, but who cares? I wanted to go to the hotel with them. I wanted to be with them.

“I did wait for them…only to find out that I had nothing to wait for.”

Jackson sighed. Remembering his past was one of the things he hates the most, but he’s here now, telling the same old to Youngji. He couldn’t believe he was starting to open up to her. This wasn’t a part of his plan.

“Sorry, I couldn’t do anything,” she whispered after digesting the information she heard.

“You don’t need to say sorry, I couldn’t do anything myself either.”

They kept the silence for a few while. Youngji had nothing to say, while Jackson was thinking if he should still continue sharing his story.

“You don’t need to open up if you can’t,” she said after feeling her saliva dry.

“But I have to,” he resisted. “I started talking about this.”

Youngji sighed and nodded. She’ll digest a few more information, then.

“I was lost after the news,” he continued. “I didn’t know what to do. All of my parents’ savings were passed to me, but what would I do with it? I started to think that I should use it for drugs and gambling, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be locked up in jail for that. I didn’t want t be bad, but everything around me was starting to make me one.

“I was in the middle of finding a place to stay when Fei approached me and told me about the foundation. At first, I was really hesitant. But I needed a house to stay, and a family to call my home. I thought about it for a week. I was just walking around the streets of Hongdae, thinking if I should give it a try.

“The moment I found myself back to the foundation, I gave in. They took care of me well. I should’ve used my parents’ savings for my studies, but they told me they’ll offer scholarship instead. I couldn’t say no to them because they’re so good. Until now, they gave me a place to stay near my high school. How could I say no to the people who made me feel I still needed to be alive? Without them, I would still be right now.”

“But why were you mean when I bumped into you?” Youngji asked after his monologue.

“It’s a defense mechanism. I couldn’t show to people that I’m actually weak.”

She nodded at his reason. She knew how it felt like to be truly defenseless. In Jackson’s story, she was reminded of her dark past. She was reminded of how hard it was to live alone–to live without anyone guiding you. Sure, she had her foster parents with her, but nothing could beat a biological parent as a companion in her life.

She smiled and said, “I’ll be here. Even though we’ll not be together in the next months, I’ll still be with you. If you want someone to lean on, you can lean on me. I know it’s unfair that I haven’t shared my side, but believe me when I say we both our down hills when we were young. But all is well as we moved on from everything that’s been hindering us to embrace happiness.”

Jackson grabbed her by the shoulder. Youngji was about to hit him, but didn’t push through because she thought he doesn’t deserve some hits at the moment.

“Why did you even have to let me remember that this was the last time we’ll bond this Christmas break?” Jackson asked in frustration.

“Because things don’t last for a long time, even if we give our effort to do so,” she explained.

“But we can make this happen! I mean, we can keep in touch! You’re not that far, Youngji!”

She sighed. She wanted to tell something truthful, but she was afraid to do so.

“I’m sorry, but I’m thinking that this would be our last time together. And I am damn serious,” was the line she wanted to say.

Jackson checked his watched to see that it was already three in the afternoon. He stood up and said, “Let’s go. I’m taking you to one last place before this day ends.”

Youngji followed him. It was sad to bid farewell to the kids they bonded with today, as well to the workers who helped them. As appreciation, Jia and Fei gave Youngji rice cake she could enjoy, as thanks for her visit today.

Just like this morning, Jackson gave off no clue for the next place they’ll go to. Youngji just kept quiet after asking the first question because she knew he would keep his mouth shut. After roughly 30 minutes, they arrived in front of an apartment that had cool graffiti on the walls.

“Is—is this your boarding house, dormitory?” She asked in shock.

Jackson chuckled. “This is a co-ed boarding house, don’t worry!”

Youngji sighed in relief. She was starting to get awkward being in a sea of guys because she wasn’t in the ‘one-of-the-boys’ category.

When they got inside, she was amazed at the interior. It was aesthetically beautiful. The walls were a mix of pastel, while the things inside were bold and neon. It was balanced to see something strong and something delicate in one picture.

The two sat at the two beanbags near the television. While Youngji enjoyed MTV, Jackson got his phone and dialed numbers. After five minutes, six guys approached them—all dressed in their home outfits.

“Guys, I told you to be decent when you go down!” Jackson reprimanded them.

“Man, we’re actually decent-looking now!” A man with pale pink hair complained.

“Bambam’s right! At least we don’t look like we came out of bed, okay? Just calm down,” a guy with eyes somehow similar to an owl said.

Jackson sighed and huddled the guys. “This would probably be the first, and I hope not the last time you’ll be meeting her. So please, have decency.”

Although he huddled them far from her, Youngji could still hear him rant. Because of that, she laughed. The guys suddenly looked at her in confusion.

When her laugh subsided, she said, “Be yourselves, please. I don’t even know why that idiot is trying to make you look like dapper guys when you are actually in your own boarding house.”

The other six guys agreed with her. Jackson, on the other hand, was a little—no, was really—offended.

If she only knew the truth, she would understand why.

“Since you guys are here, introduce yourselves,” she said. “I don’t think Jackson brought me here for nothing.”

The boys excitedly nodded and started lining up. Jackson was still in awe of what’s happening in front of him, but he still managed to fall in line with the others. When they were finally set, the guy in the leftmost side counted to three.

“Hello, we are GOT7!” They greeted in unison.

Youngji wanted to laugh so hard at the greeting, but she suddenly remembered a bunch of guys who had a funny squad name too.

“VIXX will be accompanying you instead to the library, is that fine?”

“Wait, what VIXX?” She chuckled. “What kind is that?”

He sighed. “Blame N’s creativity. That’s our squad name.”

“Hey, are you still there?” Jackson irritatingly asked.

She suddenly shook her head. “Yeah, go on. I’m sorry.”

“Hi, I’m JB,” the leftmost guy started. “I’m the brother that takes care of them even though I’m honestly busy, but that’s cool.”

“Hi, I’m Junior,” the on beside JB followed. “I’m the brother who takes care of them as well. I also take care of JB, because he deserves it.”

“I’m Mark,” the one with red hair said. “If you want to learn self-defense, you can contact me.”

Youngji nodded. She found it amusing that they had certain lines for themselves. She can’t wait to hear the rest.

“I’m Jackson, but you can call me your forever.”

With that introduction, everyone in the room laughed so hard. Youngji did laugh too, but she started feeling uncomfortable, as if Jackson’s statement was the wrong introduction to use.

Well Jackson laughed too, but he honestly regretted saying that line. He could’ve used something catchier instead of something corny.

“What the hell, Jackson! Not a good joke!” Youngji blurted out. “Okay, go on.”

That statement made it worse.

“I’m Youngjae,” the guy beside Jackson continued. “I’m a part of our school’s choir.”

“I’m Bambam,” the guy with pale pink hair followed. “They say I’m Korean, but I’m actually Thai.”

“I’m Yugyeom,” the rightmost guy said. “I’m their sunshine, and the youngest of the bunch.”

After a while, Youngji finally had the chance to speak. “It was an honor to meet you guys. I’m Youngji, the idiot’s friend.”

The guys cheered in unison. They finally met the girl Jackson was talking about the whole break.

It was the day before Christmas when Jackson started blabbering out to the guys about her. He felt alive when he was sharing how they met, how he saved her, how they finally managed to be friends, how they spent their break—everything. It has been a long time since Jackson has been giddy when talking about a girl. In fact, it has been a long time since Jackson talked about one of his friends that are actually girls.

And even though Jackson isn’t mentioning anything, they knew.

“We have a question for you though,” JB stated. “Is it okay if we ask something?”

“Sure, fire it away!” She excitedly answered.

“Suppose one of us likes you, is there a chance you would like that person?” Yugyeom inquired.

Youngji froze at the question thrown. Jackson suddenly stood stiff.

Damn it, what are they exactly asking her, he thought.

Someone from them likes me? But we’ve all just met, she debated over her mind.

The silence was loud for them. Youngji couldn’t think of a straight answer because: one, he likes Hongbin; two, who could actually like her from the bunch; and three, it’s honestly impossible for Jackson to like her.

But we all know that the third reason isn’t impossible.

Or maybe, she doesn’t want to accept the fact that maybe Jackson likes her.

Or that he really likes her.

“What question is—?”

“Thank you for that question, Yugyeom,” Youngji started off after suddenly cutting Jackson’s sentence. “I don’t know, honestly. Maybe that guy has a chance, but I don’t think I can give that chance now. It actually depends on the guy too.”

Wow, that stung hard, Jackson thought. Is it game over, already?

“It’s almost five in the afternoon; I need to bring her home before dinner,” Jackson monotonously said after looking at the wall clock.

All the other guys whined, telling Jackson if he could let her stay a little bit longer. Although Youngji herself wants to stay more, Jackson’s right; she has to attend a family dinner tonight.

“I’d honestly love to stay, but I have to attend a family dinner tonight. I’m so sorry,” Youngji explained.

“Nah, it’s fine. But are we seeing you again?” Youngjae asked.

“Yeah, I guess,” she trailed off. “But not after the break. Summer, maybe?”

“But that’s a long time!” Mark whined.

“Absence makes the heart grow fonder, dear. We’ll all meet each other again soon.”

They sighed. Jackson was right, first and hopefully not the last time Youngji meets GOT7.

The boys bid goodbye to Youngji and vice-versa. After the drama, Jackson accompanied her until to the bus stop. Their walk was quiet as the winter night. It should be a beautiful feeling, but it was rather awkward. Jackson would’ve probably shared how happy he was to play with the kids again and how happy he was that Youngji finally met his friends. That question was really a deal breaker for them.

Youngji preferred to stay silent, as she was having random thoughts on her mind. One of them was seeing VIXX after the break, and that includes seeing Hongbin. Another was about the question thrown to her. Would someone from GOT7 really like her?

“So, here’s your stop,” Jackson said when they got there.

“Yeah, this is it,” Youngji casually said, forgetting about the elephant in the room.

“I’m going to miss you,” he whispered.

“You don’t need to miss me, you know.”

“But I’ve actually spent most of my Christmas break with you.”

“Then why did you spend it with me more instead of spending it with your family, or with GOT7?”

Jackson sighed. “Point taken. But I’ll still miss you anyway.”

A bus finally came in front of them. Jackson suddenly hugged her tight, not thinking of what will happen after. He released her after ten seconds and said, “See you soon, Youngji. I’m not saying goodbye because I know we’ll meet again.”

Youngji half-heartedly smiled. “Have a happy new year, Jackson. Farewell.”

It was time for Youngji to finally board to the bus. Without further interruptions, she went straight inside. There was no looking back, not at all.

Jackson was silently watching her, until the bus started its engine again. It needed to go to the next station.

With that, it was really goodbye.

And he left with a broken heart, which was as painful as Youngji’s farewell.


day 0110 | 06:20 by multipaenida


sorry, the update took a long while! but nevertheless, it's finally here! i hope you guys enjoyed this chapter because jackji!! sorry if it isn't that sweet like those conventional stories but yeah i hope you guys would appreciate this one bc effort <3

well anyw, i'm not sure when i'll be posting the next update. a month after, i guess? *laughs* maybe when christmas break/sembreak comes! :D

okay, the note is too long! i'm out~

xoxo, jays