Day 0045

06:20

DAY 0045


Youngji was walking on her way home. Hongbin decided not to teach her today because they both had nothing to be finished. She was already done with her Biology Project, so it's no big deal anymore. Aside from that, she wanted the guy to rest. She noticed how tired he was since he had a lot of errands this morning.

She happened to stop by at the nearest ice cream parlor when she noticed a familiar guy coming out from the antique shop beside the parlor.

"Ken?" She slowly asked.

The guy looked at her, froze for a bit, and shook his head. "What are you doing here?" He questioned after recovering.

Instead of answering, Youngji pointed at the parlor. "I should be the one asking you about it. What you doing here? Antique shop? I don't get you."

Ken's face fell. "Sorry," he mumbled. "Let's go inside, I'll treat you ice cream."

Without any reply, Youngji went in and left the guy standing outside.


"Thanks, oppa," Youngji said as she happily munched on the banana split Ken treated. "Gosh, this is heaven!"

He chuckled, then smiled. Ken had nothing to say to the former Woollim schoolmate, well except for something she's not allowed to tell to the others. He's not even sure whether to tell it to her or not.

Should I mention it? He asked himself. She might not believe it, anyway, and just take it as a joke.

"Is there anything wrong?" The sophomore asked the junior when she noticed the latter not eating his ice cream.

"Just eat," Ken (rather irritatingly) replied. "It's no big deal?"

"You sure, oppa? You look pre-occupied," she worried.

He just smiled and started to eat his ice cream. It wasn't a big deal at all, or not.

"Have you already moved on from Ahn Hani-eonnie?"

Ken almost choked at Youngji's question. He wasn't expecting the girl to ask. They're not even that close to talk about it, even in Woollim. He called out a waiter to give him water, and gulped on it the moment it came. After recovering, he asked, "Why are you asking all of a sudden?"

Youngji gave him a stern look. "Am I not allowed to be curious and ask you about it? Duh! As you said, you were the golden couple. Am I not permitted to be nosy, oppa? I'll keep this safe."

He sighed. There's no turning back now.

"No," he answered with a blank face. "Did I satisfy you?"

"No," she replied with a blank face too. "Why?"

"It's complicated," he used as excuse.

"Then make it simple," she insisted.

"Damn," he cussed. Youngji chuckled for a bit. "If I tell it to you, would that make you shut up?"

She nodded. Even though they were both schoolmates in the past, they weren't familiar with themselves. Yes, they're famous in Woollim, but their paths didn't cross back then. When Ken heard that Hongbin was going to tutor Youngji, he felt that he heard her name before. He searched her in Woollim's underground website and saw her profile. Youngji did the same too; when she first saw Ken, she knew he was familiar. And it happened.

"It's hard to believe, but I'm still with her. Even in the afterlife."

Silence approached them. Ken was nervous. Youngji's brows crossed. She blinked thrice, gave him a doubtful look, and laughed loudly. Ken was starting to freak out. All the other customers suddenly looked at their table, even the waiters and the people assigned to the cashier.

"Are," she started saying while calming down, "you," she continued while wiping her tears (because Youngji laughed too hard), "serious?" She asked after calming down.

"You're hopeless," Ken ranted in a low tone.

Instead of worrying, she smiled at him. "Ken-oppa, who would actually believe with your secret if they first heard it. Hello, Hani-eonnie is dead! How in the world would that actually happen?"

He sighed. "That's the point, no one would actually believe it. I'm having doubts if I should tell it, but yeah, I still answered your query. I hope that shut you up."

"No, it didn't. It made me more curious," she shared. "Let's say I'm believing you, although I'm having second thoughts. How in the world can you talk to Ahn Hani-slash-your ex, oppa? And what's with the antique shop? Does it have a connection?"

Ken breathed heavily before answering. "I shouldn't be telling this to you, but yes. It's no ordinary antique shop."

"Then what—"

"But that's all I can tell to you right now," he spat out before Youngji finished her question.

"Why, am I not allowed to know about that antique shop?"

"No," he nonchalantly said, "unless the store gets your attention. From now on, let's change the route you've been taking to go to school. The owner of the shop doesn't allow people to come in because of their curiosity. He only allows people to come in if they feel that they have a connection with the shop."

"What the..." she trailed off. She couldn't believe at what he's saying at the moment. "But I can't memorize the route in a snap! I've been used to this route. Please, oppa."

Ken shook his head. His decision was firm. "No, we'll still change it. I'll bring you to home every day for a week. I hope that helps."

"That's nonsense! How will I get to school then, ?"

"You're in a car with you sister. That's fine, you won't notice the store anyway."

She sighed. "Fine, if that would calm you down. Thanks for making me wonder, though."

He just nodded and stood up to bring Youngji home. They left the parlor without a word spoken. While traveling the new route, Youngji can't help but ask directions to Ken. Besides, he's the one who did it for her. He supplied her with all the possible information she could get in order to go home. Youngji's new route going home was a lot more easier, and a little less hassle.

"Thanks for bringing me home," Youngji said as they arrived at her residence.

"It's my responsibility as a guy. And besides, my secret's at stake with you."

Youngji tapped his shoulder jokingly. "Gosh, as if you don't trust me! I'll keep this one. Besides, you're like my older brother. Well you're literally older, but there's still difference. Aish, just leave!"

Ken chuckled and started to walk away. He opened the gate when Youngji called back again. Ken looked back.

"Just leave her and have a new start. I mean, let Hani-eonnie cross the other side and be happy above. Her love won't change for you—it's the last thing she felt when she passed away. Anyway, stop clinging to your past. It's too much unhealthy."

Ken nodded and closed the gate.

I'll note that, he said to himself. Thank you, Youngji.


Day 0045 | 06:20 by multipaenida