Key To Memories

Remember Me

Siwon stood frozen. Mrs. Kim’s words stopped him from doing anything. Let him go. He couldn’t let go of Kibum. He was Siwon’s best friend. He was Siwon’s wife. He was the Mother to Siwon’s child. He was…Siwon’s life.

Mrs. Kim chuckled, “That got you, didn’t it?” Siwon looked into her eyes, as Mrs. Kim opened her eyes once more. “You wouldn’t let go. But listen to me, Choi.” She leaned close.

“You want Kibum to be happy? Your wish was granted. You wanted him happy, and he is!”

“He doesn’t—” Siwon said, but was cut off by the woman.

“Know about you and the baby? Doesn’t know about you and him?” Mrs. Kim asked and chuckled evilly. “There never was a ‘you and Kibum.’ It never was meant to exist, and that’s been proven by what’s happened to Kibum.”

Siwon had sadness filled in his eyes. She was right. In Kibum’s state those memories weren’t there. It was as if they never were, or they just were erased instantly. They weren’t where they used to be. Those memories were gone sadly.

“It’s not just the memories, but the Kibum who married you. The Kibum who wasn’t thinking right. The one who chose a bad man.” Mrs. Kim said, Siwon didn’t respond. He didn’t want to listen at all to what she was saying, but she was right.

Kibum doesn’t remember anything about him. The Kibum who loved him…was nowhere to be seen. Yes, Kibum was alive, but the who loved and knew Siwon…seemed dead and nowhere. Siwon couldn’t see him at all.

Kibum did choose a bad man to be with; at least that’s what Mrs. Kim and Siwon himself thought. Siwon blamed himself for so much; the reason to why they had split up for a while, Kibum leaving his home and friends, and when Kibum was in the car accident.

Only if I had been there more, Siwon thought.

“I’m going to get him back,” Siwon said in determination.

“Oh really? You’re that desperate, aren’t you? You want him all to yourself once again. Selfish, don’t you think?” Mrs. Kim said with annoyance.

Siwon was surely mad by her words. He didn’t own Kibum, but that young man who didn’t remember him was his wife! He didn’t need permission.

Why couldn’t a husband have the ability or opportunity to see his wife? It’s not like they were divorced or something. Kibum wasn’t a child either. Siwon understood that Kibum would need time to remember, but it was wrong if he didn’t get to see him and help him remember.

“Kibum is fine without you. He doesn’t need you since he can do better. Might as well give up, and you got what you wanted for a while. You got to kiss Kibum, you got to hold him in your arms, you got to marry him, and you got a child with him. You also got him where you had always wanted him to be; happy. I’ll make it crystal clear that we won’t be needing to see each other again, ne?” Mrs. Kim said and then turned away to leave.

Siwon stood there frozen in his place. He did get to live it all indeed. Be friends with Kibum, be in a relationship with him, get him back when he lost him, get married to him, and have a child with him. He did want Kibum happy.

The first thing he saw when he first met Kibum was his smile and that’s one thing he had wanted to see for the rest of his existence. That smile had been the start of when Siwon had entered Kibum’s life and when Kibum entered his.

 

Little Siwon was sitting on a bench all alone. His hands were touching his arms because of the cold. He shivered once more. The sky was dropping white delicate frozen water known as snow. The only thing he loved about Christmas and winter was because that was during the time Jesus was born.

Except for that reason, he hated the winter. Getting sick, missing school when the weather was really bad and the flu weren’t things he liked. If he’d get sick, he’d have to wait to get better so he could read his bible and go to church.

He spotted a boy younger than him running around and playing in the snow. How could anyone love the winter? Siwon wondered how anyone could like this weather and season.

He was surprised when he saw the boy approaching him. Once the boy was in front of him, he instantly introduced himself. Siwon noticed how happy this boy was. After the boy introduced himself, Siwon kept repeating “Kibum” in his head.

“Wanna come and play?” Kibum had asked, which had made Siwon stop his world and his heart no more felt cold, but very warm.

He didn’t feel lonely.

A smile crept up to his face. Siwon had no idea what this feeling was and never had experienced it before, but he knew immediately that he loved it. This boy…who he believed was precious to him…made it all happen.

“Wonnie? Are you coming to play?” Kibum repeated his question. Siwon felt even happier by how the younger said his nickname. He looked into Kibum’s eyes; in them, he was smiling.

“Wonnie?”

 

“I’d love to.”

 

 

A tear fell from Siwon’s eyes as he remembered the memory he’d cherish and promise to never forget no matter what. He’d never forget the time he met the person he’d want to spend his entire life with. He’d never let go of those memories; they were too precious.

He started walking as he thought of his wife. He didn’t notice where he was going, but he noticed to look and be safe. He had stopped to regain his strength. He ended up in the parking lot to get into his car and drive away.

 

Kibum ran all the way upstairs to his room; slamming the door. He couldn’t believe what he had just experienced—or what he would’ve a couple seconds ago. Minho—his fiancé had tried to undress him in his parents’ living room.

Desperate ! Kibum thought.

He heard his name being called out by his fiancé, but he ignored him of course. He didn’t want to go back down there for any reasons or circumstances. He noticed something on his pillow. It was some wrapped up object and a pink paper note. He grabbed them both in his hands and read the note:
 

Bummie! Here! For you!

–Wookie, Hyukkie, Teukie, and Others!!!

 

Kibum set the paper note down and unwrapped the object. He tilted his head when he found a key in his hand and a number in black engravings on the back: 248.

He wondered what the numbers stood for and wondered what the key was for; many things can be unlocked by a key. But what was this key for? The strangest thing was…he felt as if he knew this number. Or he found it quite familiar as if he’s seen it before.

He snapped out of his thoughts when he heard a knock coming from the outside of his bedroom door.

“Who is it?” He asked softly wonder to himself if it was Minho wanting to apologize.

“It’s me dear,” Mrs. Kim said in glee.

“Umma, you’re back?” Kibum asked.

“Yes dear. Why are you cooped up in there? We’re going out to dinner.  A French restaurant.” Mrs. Kibum said.

Kill me now! Kibum shouted in his mind.

“Uh umma...I’m not feeling so good.” Kibum lied.

“Oh…how much does your stomach—wait! Did you and Minho do it?” Mrs. Kim said with curiosity at her question.

“N-no.” Kibum responded.

“Oh, well how bad do you feel? Must we call a doctor?” Mrs. Kim asked with a hint of worry and concern in her voice.

“Quite a bothersome, but nothing to worry about. Spend time with my…future husband. Good to get to know people more these days, right?” Kibum said, trying to avoid questions.

“O-okay, well get some rest and feel better. Would you like your fiancé to stay back and take care of you? Romantic!” Mrs. Kim said.

Kibum panicked and protested. “N-no! Not at all. I don’t want my future husband to get sick if it’s contagious or anything. That wouldn’t be good, now would it?” Kibum said.

“Oh okay, well take care of yourself. Bye!” Mrs. Kim said goodbye and Kibum bid goodbye as well.

He looked around his room. His eyes landed on a white little jewel box with three little drawers. He saw a part of paper from the top drawer. He took the jewel box and opened the first one and took out the paper and read it:

 

WHERE:

XXXXXXXXX Apartments

ADDRESS: XXXXXXXXXXX

ROOM: 248

 

Kibum tilted his head. The key for an apartment? He wondered why he had this information. He wondered where this place was…so he wanted to find out himself.

He changed into different clothes and grabbed the key and paper and exited his room. He had ended up taking up a bus to get to his destination. He wondered what this apartment held for him…

He didn’t know; but he wasn’t turning back, not now. He wanted to know—he was eager. He finally arrived at a familiar place. This was where Siwon lived? He shrugged and looked around and then towards the budding with the apartments. As he walked in the hallway of the 4th floor, he came in front of a door engraved with this numbers: 248.

He took the key that he had placed in his pocket out and placed it in the keyhole. The door was unlocked now. As the door was unlocked, he hesitated.

This isn’t even my home! This is breaking and entering. But, why did they send me this key for? Must…there must be a reason, Kibum thought.

He took a deep breath and pushed the door open and walked in. He realized so much of the stuff was familiar—the things he hadn’t noticed when he had come. He ended up walking through a small hallway to pass a white door that had the initials: CHOI KI WON.

He somehow didn’t pay any attention to that room, but he ended up heading near the familiar white door beside the door with the initials.

He grasped the doorknob and opened the door and entered the room he had once been in. He realized the closet wasn’t closed. He had approached it to close it, but he had spotted a plain white shirt. He took it off the hanger and held it in his hands. It happened once again. The pain and aching in his head. The memories.

 

Siwon was wearing his original work suit since he had left work early and was on time for his wedding. Here he was holding his fiancé’s hands. The boy wearing a plain white shirt and boots smiled with his fiancé. They both had come to their wedding wearing a work suit and a plain white shirt.

 

Kibum fell to the floor. He panted and sweated. He didn’t know why memories came back to him and why…they seemed to take so much energy from him. Didn’t he have all his memories though? Why were there some coming to him? He knows his friends, his parents, his home and his own self, Minho, and…

His eyes widened.

Siwon.