I'M FINE

THEN & NOW

SunMi's point of view:    

      I walked out of the room and was quickly disappointed that he wasn't following me. I expected a longer fight but it ended just like that. Myungsoo's words hit home. He was right, about everything. We were two different people now. Four years did make a difference. It was just the same as meeting someone for the first time and then attaching yourself to them like an annoying tic. What was I doing?

     Just like that, I gave up. Anything he did in his past was none of my business. Especially not his intimate relationships.

Was I being to nosy?

Was I being ridiculous on pretending that I could mend our broken friendship?

     I was expecting too much and now I was realizing this. Myungsoo and SunMi's friendship was over. That was my one and only conclusion.


Author's point of view:

     SunMi had just walked out of the room and left to her grandparents home. Myungsoo was still in the dorm with MinHee, who was shocked by SunMi's anger towards Myungsoo.

"MinHee, what did you tell her?" Myungsoo turned to face MinHee.

     MinHee took her time before she spoke.

"She asked if we knew each other and well I just told her we did. That's all I swear!" She put her hands up in defense.

"Does this make sense?! She insists I did something to you!" 

"What? . . . ," she looked to the floor and then back up at Myungsoo as she realized that her choice of words weren't probably the best. "Oh no!"

"What?" Myungsoo asked, waiting

"I said something like you used me and I think she might have misunderstood." MinHee said putting her hands to her face.

"She thinks I used you? What does that mea-" Myungsoo spoke as he realized what SunMi was probably thinking.

"I don't know? What do we do? That's not true." MinHee said as she started pacing back and forth.

"Why did you say that?" Myungsoo asked almost speechless, as he watched MinHee pace.

"Oppa, she really likes you. She wouldn't do anything stupid, would she?" MinHee stopped pacing and stood in front of Myungsoo now.

     MinHee had also misunderstood. MinHee thought that SunMi was texting Myungsoo earlier today and that they were involved some how. When in reality, SunMi had been texting WooHyun. MinHee truly believed that SunMi was in love with Myungsoo. That wasn't the case here at all.

"I don't think so." Myungsoo said looking to the door with a blank expression.

     He was obviously thinking about where she could have gone. 

"I gotta go find her." Myungsoo then walks to the door.

"Oppa?" MinHee called out to Myungsoo. 

"Mmm?" Myungsoo quickly turned as he turned the doors handle.

"It's her isn't it? The girl that left? . . . The girl you loved?" MinHee looked at him with a broken heart.

     MinHee loved Myungsoo but Myungsoo's heart never belonged to her. Myungsoo looked away from MinHee, not wanting to reassure her assumption.

"Treat her right." MinHee finished and with that said, Myungsoo left. 

     He ran to find the taxi gone.

     SunMi had just arrived at her grandparents home.

She was still crying and she didn't want to worry her grandparents,

so she sat herself on the edge of the sidewalk and continued crying.

     Myungsoo ran out of the school gates and ran to the nearest intersection to catch another taxi. He didn't believe SunMi would do something to hurt herself but the thought still haunted him. He just wanted to make sure she was safe. He told the taxi driver to head towards SunMi's grandparents home, he figured that was the only place she could go. As soon as he arrived he noticed SunMi sitting in a corner. She was balled up with her face on her knees. 

"SunMi?" He bent down to her level and put a hand on her shoulder.

     She looked up at him, surprised by his appearance in front of her now. 


 SunMi's point of view:

     I didn't expect him to show up here. I was embarrassed now, I didn't want to cry in front of him. I wanted to get up and run away as soon as I saw him kneeled in front of me. I got up so fast I got dizzy in the process. He took hold of me and as soon as the dizziness disappeared, I then pulled away. I turned to walk away, only to trip on the steps. 

"SunMi! Are you okay?" I fell straight down on my palms.

     He grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me up. 

"SunMi, stop running away from me." He turned me around to face him.

"Leave me alone please." I said in almost a whisper.

"Please, just listen," He took hold of my hands and noticed the blood on my palms from my clumsy fail, "Let's go to my place."

"What for?" I asked, pulling my hands away from his hold. 

"Let me clean that for you."

"No, I'm fine."

"SunMi please. Your grandparents will worry if they see that." He was right.

     I probably had makeup running down my face from all my sobbing. My grandparents would freak out and order me to come live with them again. I let him pull me to his house this time. The lights were off inside the house, only the porch lights were on. 

"Is your mother home?" I asked as we reached the porch.

"No, she's staying with her sister this weekend." He stated, not even looking back at me.

      He then unlocked the front door and immediately the living room lights. I walked in right after him.

"Take a seat. Let me go find the first aid kit." 

"May I use the restroom first?" 

"Yeah go ahead." He allowed as he walked towards his room.

     I walked in to the restroom and locked the door. I looked in the mirror and found that I looked like a total mess. I washed my face completely free of any makeup. My bare face was still flawless. I had been blessed with clear skin. I lightly pinched my cheeks to make them pink, just to give them the same effect blush did. I walked back to the living room after. Myungsoo wasn't there yet, so I sat their waiting awkwardly. I guess he had the heater because I  was feeling extremely warm.

"I found it." He said as he walked back to the living room with the first aid kit.  

     He sat down on the wooden center table in front of me and pulled out a couple of wipes and band aids from the box. 

"Let me see your hands." He said to me.

     I was a bit hesitant at first but I obeyed. I let him disinfect my hands, one by one. I couldn't bring myself to look up at him. I looked down at our hands the entire time and the only feeling I allowed myself to have was the slight sting of the alcohol on my hands. He held my hands so gently, so carefully. It only made me that much more upset with reality. Why was he doing this? He doesn't care, he's suppose to make this easier for me.

"Myungsoo." I said after a while.

"Yeah?" He stopped cleaning my palms and looked up to me now.

"Could you do me a favor?" I asked tentatively.  

"What is it?" He asked as he fidgeted with a band aid.

"If you're not busy, is it okay if you could come with me to see Bae?. . . I haven't gone yet and his memorial is this weekend. . . .  I'd like to go see Bae with y-you." I looked at him as I spoke.

     This was my last wish, the last thing I wanted to do with Myungsoo before I turned away from this friendship.

"Yeah . . . I'll go. I can do that much." He answered looking straight into my eyes. 

"Thank you!" I unknowingly launched myself to him and hugged him.

     He didn't hug me back which made me feel embarrassed.

"I'm sorry." I said as I pulled away.

      I turned my head away, not wanting to show him my now blushing face.

"What's that?" He said as he noticed the huge bruise that was on my neck.

     SungJong had pointed it out earlier today. Now that my scarf and jacket was off I'm sure he could see the rest of the bruises around my neck.

"SunMi does it hurt?" He asked taking hold of my neck with both his hands.

"No, I'm fine." I assured, but I winced as he touched the bruises.

     I'm sure he noticed that it did hurt. I tried removing his hands from my neck but he didn't budge. He held my neck softly and I now had my hands on top of his. His facial expression went from worried, to angry, and then he looked sorry. 

"They look pretty bad SunMi, are you sure?"  Was I that pitiful right now? 

"I'm fine."  I assured him I was fine, but what I didn't expect was for him to lean in towards me.

     We looked into each others eyes as Myungsoo leaned in and closed the distance between us. I was a bit flustered and wide eyed at the moment. Unwillingly, I closed my eyes as he was just an inch away from me. I waited for the kiss to come. I would let him kiss me, but I had no clue that I did want him to. All of a sudden I felt the urge to have him. This was a new feeling to me and it surprised me that it was Myungsoo I wanted right now. If you were to mention WooHyun's name right now, I'd be like; 'WooHyun who?'

     He didn't kiss my lips though. I felt as his breath tickled my neck and then he planted a light kiss on the bridge of my neck. I opened my eyes, surprised that this was all he was doing. I hoped he'd kiss me after that, but he didn't. He pulled away, as well as his grip on my neck. Bliss gone.

"You use to say that a kiss could heal anything. You use to believe that remember?" 

"I did." I said, too low for him to hear.

     I was surprised he remembered that. I did say that. I use to think a simple kiss could heal anything, but I was proven wrong, twice. Once while trying to kiss Bae to get better when his sickness got worse. That was my biggest fail. Second time just happened a few seconds ago. Myungsoo tried to kiss my pain away, but my heart still ached. I still wished for something that I could never have. This kiss only made the wound that much bigger.

"It was just wishful thinking though." I let him know that I didn't believe in such none sense anymore.

"SunMi. . . About what MinHee said, I didn't do what you think I did." He looked at me in the eyes and I could see he was being sincere.

"It doesn't matter now. . .  I should probably go." I got up and Myungsoo stayed seated looking up at me.

"SunMi, please believe me." He pleaded, he took hold of my hand now.

"I believe you." I said as I looked down at our hands intertwined. 

     I did believe him. I believed him like a fool, but that didn't mean things were any different. We still weren't on the best of terms and I had already made up my mind. After Bae's memorial I would not pursue Myungsoo any longer. It took a while for me to realize what a fool I was being, but now I knew that I had to move on with my life. I needed to let the past stay in the past as good memories.

"I'll come by the house this weekend then. We can go visit Bae from here." Myungsoo said as he walked me to my front door.

"Mm, Thank you Myungsoo."

"Yeah, sleep well."

"Good night." I unlocked the door and walked in.

     I didn't even turn to face Myungsoo again, I just quickly got in and locked the door. My grandparents were surprised to see me, but they didn't make anything of it. I just told them that I was out with some friends and that it was too late to go back to the dorm by myself. I felt bad for lying to them but I really had no choice. I don't think my grandparent's hearts can take the fact that I'm being rejected by Myungsoo, attacked by crazy fan girls or the fact that I was an emotional wreck.

     As I laid in bed, facing the ceiling and with my cheeks stained with tears, I mentally prepared myself to tell Myungsoo that I wasn't going to hang around anymore.

He'd probably be happy with this choice right?

It's what he wanted anyway, right?  

     I cried myself to sleep that night. I replayed all the times spent with Myungsoo and then locked them up in my heart. They weren't allowed to resurface ever again, but that next morning I failed to keep them locked away. The thoughts of him returned and I was going into a depressed state. I needed closure, but I had to wait another two days for that. Two more days until the end. The end of Myungsoo and I.