WHO IS L?

THEN & NOW

    SunMi's point of view:

     Graduation day passed by smoothly. I considered it an accomplishment that I hadn't been my usual clumsy self and tripped over some thing. I did that a lot. I walked up to the stage to receive my diploma and walked off right after my parents snapped a picture of me shaking hands with the school principal. That picture was definitely not going on a frame though. After graduation I went to a simple dinner with my parents, Jia and Jia's parents. My parents and Jia's parents were really close at this point, how could they not be? Jia and I were always attached to each other. I was forever Jia's nun and she was forever my sinner.

     The weekend after graduation, my friends and I gathered to throw a small farewell party. Jia was to leave the upcoming week to Japan, and I was to leave for Korea the day after that. We all got together at our friend Brian's home. Brian was a guy in my homeroom class I had met this year. He was a nice guy, maybe too nice. He always got pushed around, explains why we're here at his house now. Some one probably made him throw this party. Either way, it was fun. We danced, gossiped and of course like every other teen movie, their was alcohol and make out sessions.

"Hey SunMi, how about a last game of seven minutes of heaven?" Jia laughed.

"Haha, very funny. No." Their was no way I wanted to kiss another guy that I was never going to see again.

     The party ended around 3 AM. I was tired and I still had to take a drunken Jia home with me. My mother was on a business trip this weekend which meant it didn't matter if we came home late. My dad was home, but he didn't care, he trusted me I supposed. I helped Jia walk up the stairs into my room and we passed out almost immediately.

      We slept for hours! We probably got up around 2 PM that day. My dad didn't say anything as he watched me and Jia still yawning and walking down the stairs. I'm sure he could tell that Jia had a huge hangover. We definitely celebrated our last high school party with a bang, except that Jia's bang was the banging in her head she felt from drinking so much. I was too much of a good girl, I wouldn't drink a sip. Technically we're still minors, so we shouldn't be drinking in the first place. Sometimes, I play my "nun" role all too well.


     The day of Jia's departure had finally come. I tagged along with Jia's parents to see her off. We held hands the entire way to the airport. I was holding back my tears as we said our goodbyes.

"SunMi, be good." She said as she hugged me.

"You too Jia. Stay logged on, on twitter! Mention me for anything." I pleaded.

     Me and Jia were big on tweeting.

"Okay, I'm going to miss my nun."

"Haha, I already miss you." I said as we held hands again.

"Have fun in Korea, but not too much fun," She laughed, "Hey, maybe you'll find a priest."

"That's not funny." I said annoyed.

"Okay okay, I got to go now." She stated as she looked back at the boarding gate.

"See ya soon." I said as I hugged her one last time.

     I watched her as she walked up to the boarding gate and handed her ticket to the lady checking tickets. She turned to look at me one more time, waved and walked through the gate. It was sad to watch her go, her mother cried now as she disappeared from sight. She was also holding in her tears before and I couldn't hold them in any longer either.

     The next day was my turn to go. My parents and Jia's parents also came to see me off.

"Be good SunMi. Listen to your grandparents, go to class and do your homework. Oh, and don't forget to eat right." My mom started saying frantically.

"Mom, mom. Don't worry, I'll be fine." I assured her.

     Just as Jia did the day before, I also turned to look at my family one more time before walking into the boarding gate. My mom definitely didn't try to hide her tears though. I waved goodbye and went through the doors that guided me through a hall connecting it to the plane. I found my seat rather quickly and set my hand bag in the compartment above. As soon as the plane took off I pulled out my iPod and my "Bad days" playlist.

 

Lightless - BEAST

Like Crazy - 2AM

You're - JYJ

I can't - 2PM

I'll back of so you can live better - G.Na

Don't Lie - SM the Ballad

Take me away - U-Kiss

Tell me goodbye - Big Bang

Find - SS501

etc.

     12 long hours later, the plane finally landed in the Incheon Airport. My iPod was just about to die, thank God it lasted the entire flight. After hours of replaying practically every song in my iPod I was surprised it even lasted up to here. By the end of the flight the only song that managed to get stuck on my head was ZE:A's 'Again.' As I walked out of baggage claim I saw my grandparents, they were holding up a sign that read 'Lee SunMi'. I half ran up to them.

"할머니  (Harameoni), 할아버지  (Harabeoji)!" I yelled out to them with a smile.

     It had been four years since I've seen them last, it saddened me to see how much older they looked.

"Oh, SunMi. How was your flight?" Grandpa asked.

"It was good grandpa. I missed you guys." I said as I hugged grandma.

"You've grown so beautifully. We better hurry up and get you married." He said laughing.

     I could tell he was kidding but it made me uneasy for some reason.

     As we drove home, my grandparents asked me how my parents were, how was living in California and if it was hard to adjust. We talked for the whole hour it took to get home. My grandparents still lived in the same house I use to live in with my parents. We had always lived with my grandparents and it was lonely moving to the US because it was the first time we lived on our own. Coming back to this same house made me nervous and excited at the same time. I had so many childhood memories spent in this house. Memories with my family, Myungsoo, and my brother Bae.

     I missed Bae now more than ever. Bae was three years older than me. He died when I was twelve and he had just turned fifteen. He had developed a tumor in his head, and I remember him telling me that he was okay. I could see that he was in pain, even though Bae tried to hide it from me. I was twelve, but I wasn't stupid. His hair slowly started falling off due to the treatment he was being given. At one point I couldn't hide my feelings and cried next to Bae's tired body. He held me to sleep that night, reassuring me that he was okay. He told me he was grateful for having me as a sister and that he was sorry he couldn't be a better older brother. He was the greatest older brother I could have ever asked for, and I now wished I would have told him that. Eventually, all of Bae's hair was gone, and that's when he started to get worse.

     Myungsoo and I had gone to our neighborhood's park one day, and as soon as we got there I fell to my knees and started crying. Myungsoo kneeled besides me and patted my back, not knowing how he could help. It was the same when my brother had finally passed away a year later. Myungsoo held me in his arms as I cried my little heart out. I was grateful for him, how could I not be? That's why I had to find him now. I wanted to go visit Bae's tomb and thank Myungsoo for every thing I put him through as kids. I'd make it up to him some how.

     I was amazed by the sight of the familiar house. Absolutely nothing had changed, the same wooden tall fence, the stone pathways, the ancient doors. It was a traditional Korean home, and I loved it. My grandparents helped me carry the lighter bags in and led me to my room. It was the same room I had grown up in, only this time they had replaced it with larger furniture, even though I was sure I would have been comfortable in a twin bed still.

"Hey grandma."

"Yeah?"

"Does Myungsoo still live next door?" I asked, hoping he still did.

"Myungsoo? . . . Ohhh, that boy you use to play with?" She answered with another question.

"Yeah."

"Mm, his mother still lives there. I'm not sure about her son though." Grandma said, before leaving the room.

     I was relieved to hear that at least his mother was there. It was still early, and as much as I wanted to run over next door, I didn't. Instead I decided to lie down for a while. I must have been tired because as soon as I lied down on my new queen bed, I fell right to sleep. I woke up maybe five hours later, it was 10 AM when I decided it was late enough to go over to Mrs. Kim's house next door. I quickly showered and changed into normal clothes. Normal meaning, black skinny jeans, a white v-neck and a pair of turquoise blue vans. I looked like an average teenager.

     I walked over to Myungsoo's gate and opened it without knocking. I knocked on the front door of his house and waited for an answer.

"Who's there?" Someone said.

      I knew that was Mrs. Kim, I recognized her voice immediately.

"Mrs. Kim? It's me SunMi." I told her, hoping she'd remember me.

"SunMi?" She said as she started to unlock the door, "Omo! SunMi-ah. What are you doing here? Come in, come in." She said as she pulled me in.

     I bowed to her and greeted her with a smile.

"Oh SunMi, it's been too long. Are you visiting?" She asked.

"No, I guess I moved back. I'm starting school here soon." I clarified.

"Ohhh, and your parents?"

     I explained to her that they stayed behind because of their jobs. She was happy to hear that they were doing fine. I looked around and realized that her taste in furniture had become more finer than what I remembered. It got silent for a second, and I bit my lip at the thought of the question I was about to ask.

"Mrs. Kim?" I started.

"Uh?" She looked at me waiting.

"Where's Myungsoo?" I finally asked.

"I was wondering when you were going to ask about him. . .  He lives with his friends in, oh wait. He lived in Manwondong but I heard they recently moved. . . Hold on." She said as she headed somewhere.

"Here. Go here and you can find out." she said as she handed me a piece of paper with an address written inside it.

"Is this where he works?" I asked confused.

"Yeah. Just go there and asked for L. They'll know who you're referring to."

"Who's L?" I asked confused.

"Just ask for him. Myungsoo will be there."

     I thanked Mrs. Kim as she walked me out the door. I looked at the note again, it read:

"WoolLim Entertainment.  #103 ShinMyung Vill 21-25, Seongsan-dong, Mapo-gu. Seoul, 121-250 South Korea."

     WoolLim entertainment, did he work here? I wondered what he did in this company. I couldn't wait long to find out, so I grabbed the first taxi that passed and asked to go to Mapo-gu. I got off the taxi after paying and searched for the building by foot. It didn't take long, I saw it right across of where I was standing. As I headed for the entrance doors a security guard stopped me.

"Who are you?" He asked.

"I'm SunMi. I'm here to see Kim Myungsoo." I said.

"I think you got the wrong place. I don't know of any Myungsoo in this building."

"Ah, Jinjja? What about L?" I asked, using the name given by Mrs. Kim.

"Look, it's my job to protect them from girls like you. So could you please go away?" He said annoyed.

     I was confused.

"Wait what? What do you mean? I just came to see Myungsoo, I was told to ask for L." I said trying to clarify whatever he was referring to.

"Please, go back to where you came from. I'm not allowed to let you enter the building."

     I walked away after that. Fine, if he wasn't going to let me in, then I'd just wait until he came out.