WHAT PERFECTION LOOKS LIKE

THEN & NOW

Author's point of view:

"Why hasn't she called?" Myungsoo thought to himself as he laid in bed one early morning.

     It had been over a week since he had posed as SungJong and texted SunMi. Since then he hadn't received a single message from her or even a phone call. He asked himself if she had really given up this time. As he thought this over, he felt a new wave of sadness at the possibility of this.

"Hyung, are you awake yet?" SungJong peeked in from the bedroom door.

"Uh." He answered.

"We're leaving to the salon in fifteen minutes. We have a show tonight."

"SungJong-ah. . Did SunMi ever text you back?"

"No. Why?" SungJong asked surprised because he hadn't heard Myungsoo mention her the entire week.

"Never mind."

"Okay. Hurry up!" SungJong didn't want to question him any further.

     He wanted to stay out of it as much as possible.

Around the same time:

"Oppa!" SunMi called out to Lee Joon as she noticed him sitting outside her dorm building.

"SunMi-ah!" Lee Joon called out in return.

     Joon pulled her in to a tight hug and then took hold of her hand as he released her.

"Oppa, where are we going?" SunMi asked cutely.

"You'll see." He smirked.

     Joon pulled SunMi along to the bus stop. The bus came quickly, which was a big relief because the weather was quite warm. Joon was beginning to sweat under the hot sun.

"You look beautiful by the way." Joon complimented after they had sat down at the very back of the bus.

     The most "private" part of the bus as Joon called it.

"Thank you. You look great as usual." SunMi laughed.

"Well thank you," He laughed along, "SunMi, thank you for meeting me today."

"No, I should be thanking you. I needed to get out. I can't mope around forever, right?"

"Right! That's why I planned a full day of fun. I'm going to make you smile all day that your smile will become permanent. I do have that paralyzing effect on people."

"Haha, so I've heard. . .  But that's what I'm hoping for. Oppa, what would I do without you?" SunMi said as she hugged Joon's arm.

     Joon smiled, blushed and giggled like a school girl at her comment. Deep inside though, SunMi wished she didn't have to resort to this. She was practically using Joon in order to forget Myungsoo. It had little to no effect at all, but Joon wasn't complaining.

"We're here." Joon stood up, pulling SunMi along as the bus driver came to a stop.

"The marketplace?" She was surprised he brought her here as she saw the street lined up with small stands.

     The marketplace was the Korean version of a flea market in California.

"Mhmm. This is the best place to bond." He laughed.

     SunMi was a bit indifferent, she simply shrugged at him and walked besides him down the street. There were many stands filled with all kinds of stuff. They sold clothes, shoes, groceries, street food, souvenirs and even fake name brand hand bags.

"Let's look here." SunMi pointed at the accessory table.

     They walked over to the stand and immediately SunMi found something she liked.

"Oppa, look." SunMi lifted a small cell phone charm.

     It was a small black heart with a pink bow on the side.

"Wahh, It's cute. Ajumma, how much is this?" Joon asked the sales woman.

"1000 Won." The woman answered. [$1US]

"Oh, I'll take it. This one too."

     Joon handed the woman two dollars in exchange for the charms. One with the pink bow and another one with a blue bow.

"One for you. One for me." Joon mused as he handed SunMi hers.

     They each placed the strap on the phone and showed it to each other. They laughed at their new "couple" charms. This was a first for SunMi, in every aspect really. First date, first couple charm, the first time she was sincerely at peace since she got to Korea. She felt free.

     Around noon time, Joon treated SunMi to lunch.

"What's next?" Asked SunMi as they shared a plate of Dubboki.

"Another bus ride." Joon answered with a smile.

     SunMi couldn't help but to smile back.

"You're really good at keeping secrets, huh?"

"Of course. So quit asking, because I ain't telling you." He stuck his tongue out.

     After lunch they rode another bus to their next destination. By this time it was already one in the after noon.

"The arcade?" SunMi said as Joon pulled her into the arcade.

"Yeah, have you ever been in one?"

"Yeah, just not in Korea. It looks different than the ones I'm used to."

"Come on, I'll show you how to play." He said as he led her to one of the games.

"You just have to aim this gun at those cute animals." He instructed as he handed one of the toy guns to her.

"Yah! What kind of game is this?" SunMi asked, appalled by the fact that these cute, furry creatures were the target.

     Nonetheless, the game was pretty fun. SunMi was determined to win over Joon's high score. Sixteen games later, she finally accomplished her goal and beat his score.

"Yeah! I wonnnn!" SunMi jumped up and down in happiness.

     She automatically pulled Joon into a hug and as she realized what she had done, she looked up at him. Their eyes met for one short second before SunMi pulled away.

"I told you I could beat you." SunMi giggled trying to make the awkwardness disappear.

"I never said you couldn't," He laughed, "Do you want to play something else, or are you ready for our next stop?"

"Let's move on," SunMi pretended to be tired, "I don't think I have anymore energy to beat you again."

     They laughed in unison while heading out to the bus stop once again. It was now three in the after noon.

"Wahh! The amusement park?!" SunMi yelped and twirled in excitement.

"Have you at least been here before?"

"ERR- Um, I think? I was ten the last time I came here, why?"

"Nothing. Well, I'm sure it's probably changed a lot since then. Come on foreigner." He teased.

     They walked hand in hand this time as they walked over to the ticket boot. They bought both their tickets and entered the amusement park still holding hands. A couple of girls eyed them and whispered how cute they looked together, SunMi tried to ignore their unwanted comments. Joon was just a friend to her, a very close friend.

"Wow, It's definitely bigger then I remember."

"So what first? Kiddy rides or straight to the big, scary roller coasters?"

"Big, scary roller coasters!"

"Roller coasters it is."

     With that said, SunMi pulled Joon over to the the tallest roller coaster in the park. Thankfully, the lines were short since it was still early.

"I'm scared now." SunMi confessed as they were already in the coaster car reaching the top of the tracks.

"So am I." Joon said jokingly, trying to calm her fear.

"Yah, I'm serious." She spoke as she closed her eyes tight.

     They were already at the very top, right before the drop, and Joon took hold of SunMi's hand. SunMi opened her eyes, shocked at the sudden contact, and looked over at Joon. Joon was smiling at SunMi and just like that, the coaster car began to descend down the tracks in a fast speed. They both yelled out from the extreme feeling in their guts that the drop produced. Lee Joon hadn't let go of SunMi's hand once during the short roller coaster ride. It made SunMi feel safe, secure, and like Joon would never let her go, unlike Myungsoo.

     After, they headed out to the bumper cars for a less adrenaline attraction. The comparison between Myungsoo and Joon bothered SunMi as they waited their turn on the cars. It made her angry to think that Joon was better for her than Myungsoo. She still couldn't get over Myungsoo, that was obvious, but Joon truly felt he could help her get over him.

     She was glad she could trust Joon enough to tell him why she was always in a dazed mood. Joon understood and never pushed her into anything she wasn't ready for. Just like todays' date. Joon had merely suggested it, hoping that SunMi would see his true feelings, he never imagined she'd agree on it. So SunMi couldn't blame Joon now as her head and her heart were about to explode.

"I call the red car." Joon interrupted her train of thought.

"All yours. I'm going for the green car."

"Green?"

"Yeah. It's my favorite color."

"You're definitely not an average girl."

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"You're real. I don't know how to explain it. You're just honest with yourself and others, and come on, green isn't at the top of the list as girl's favorite color." He laughed.

"Thanks. I think?" She laughed along.

     They headed over to the bumper car of their choice and once the bell rang, signaling to start, they chased each other on the track. Joon let SunMi do most of the bumping, which made SunMi happy because she felt like letting out some steam at Joon for being so perfect. She was all smiles again after.

     They spent a short two hours at the amusement park. Riding as many roller coasters, smaller attractions and even carnival games as they could. They had also shared a hot fudge sunday before riding the 'tunnel of love' boat ride. It was the perfect date. Maybe a little too perfect.

"Two more stops left." Joon pointed out.

"Let's go then." SunMi held on to his hand as they headed towards the exit.

"Wait." Joon said as he stopped and faced SunMi once they were outside the amusement park, "Their's something I've been wanting to do all day."

"What is it?" She asked confused.

     He placed his hands on SunMi's cheeks and stared right into her eyes as he spoke.

"SunMi-ah, you know how I feel right?"

"Op-oppa." she stuttered.

     Without saying anything, Joon leaned his face closer to hers, closing the distance little by little. His eyes closed as SunMi's eyes grew bigger.

'Myungsoo.'

      Myungsoo's name suddenly came to her mind. . . .