SILENCE

THEN & NOW

Author's point of view:

The next morning:

"Unni, are you awake yet?" Minhee stood besides SunMi's bed.

"Mmm what is it?" SunMi answered with her eyes still closed.

"Hurry up and get ready. Jia and I want to hang out with you today." Minhee said as she poked SunMi.

"What time is it?" She yawned and stretched.

"It's about to be 10 AM. Hurry up lazy bum." Minhee giggled.

"Aish, araso!" SunMi stood up in defeat.

     SunMi got up and took a quick shower. After dressing up, SunMi and Minhee took the elevator down to meet Jia in the lobby. SunMi wasn't too excited for this outing but she needed her friends the most right now. Even though she wasn't all too happy, Jia seemed really happy and SunMi quickly noticed.

"What's with you?" SunMi asked Jia.

"Oh, just happy to see you. How's my nun this morning?" Jia laughed.

"Wahh, I haven't heard that in so long, I was beginning to think you got over that stupid nickname."

"Why nun?" Minhee asked curious.

     As they walked out of the school campus Jia told Minhee the story of how SunMi had became a nun. Minhee wasn't surprised though, she was kind of embarrassed as she confessed she hadn't been kissed yet either.

"Oh no, not you too. What's wrong with the world these days?" Jia asked.

"It's normal, right?" Minhee asked now.

"Of course it is! Jia's just ahead of herself by a couple of years. Her hormones kicked in faster than ours, that's all." SunMi teased Jia now.

     Jia was the odd one now.

"Is everyone in Korea a nun?!" Jia yelled.

"Yah, hush! You'll get kicked out of the country if you say stuff like that." SunMi laughed.

     Jia was now determined to find Minhee a y man. Although the right guy for Minhee wasn't that hard to find. Minhee already had her eyes set on SungGyu anyway.

"This is the place." Jia said while staring up at a two floor cafe.

"A coffee shop?" 

"Mm, kaja." Minhee pulled SunMi in.      

     First they ordered three coffees at the register and then headed up the stairs to a private lounge area. SunMi was surprised at the fact that this place had been reserved by Jia. She didn't see why they needed so much privacy but SunMi didn't bother to ask. Jia had always been well off and she just figured that this was her showing off her wealth. 

"Wahh, it's a beautiful day." Minhee said as she looked at the view from the window. 

"I'll be right back, okay?" Jia then said as she got up from her seat.

"Where are you going?" SunMi asked.

"The restroom?" Jia explained and awkwardly walked down the stairs.       

     Jia walked down and exited the cafe for a short second. She didn't have to use the restroom really, that was just an excuse to get out for a second. Jia had asked WooHyun to meet them at the cafe. 

"Oppa!" Jia called as she saw WooHyun walking up the street with two other people.

"Jia, sorry we're late." WooHyun hugged Jia now. 

"It's okay. Annyeong, SungGyu and SungJong." She waved to them. 

     They shyly waved back, overwhelmed by Jia's strong personality.

"Is SunMi here?" SungGyu then asked.

"Yeah. It was surprisingly easy for her to come out with us, but she still doesn't know you guys are hanging out with us." 

"I'm a bit scared. I don't think she'll want to see me." SungJong was worried she'd push him away again.

"Come on. Let's go up."  Jia walked back up while holding WooHyun's hand and the boys trailing behind her.

"SunMi, look who's here." Jia spoke a bit nervously.   

     They were all scared as to how she would react. She turned to face them slowly and once she took a good look at them her smile slowly started to fade. She didn't seem pleased to see them, but she wasn't unhappy about it either. 

"SunMi, it's been a while." SungGyu started to say, trying to kill the silence. 

     She bowed to them all now, without saying anything. She couldn't find the right words to say. 

"Noona, Mianheo. I'm really sorry, about everything." SungJong pleaded only to be ignored by SunMi.

"Let's all just sit down and talk." Jia pulled them all over to sit with SunMi and Minhee. 

     WooHyun sat next to Jia, SungGyu next to Minhee and SungJong sat across from SunMi. SunMi didn't say a word as the three guys were apologizing to her. SungJong even tried to explain to her that he hadn't send her those text messages, she still didn't respond. Her silent treatment made Jia and Minhee uncomfortable so they changed the subject. Jia asked the boys about their recent concerts and TV shows. SunMi just stared outside the window and sipped her coffee, ignoring their conversation.

     She wanted to run away but she didn't. She didn't want to walk away from the people she cared about the most. She couldn't lie to herself and say she didn't miss them. Of course she missed them, and sitting with them at the moment almost seemed like a dream. She was happy but she wasn't about to let them off so easily. They needed to feel how she had these past few months. 

     After a while at the coffee shop they had decided to head over to Gwanghwamun, a plaza in the heart of Seoul. 


SunMi's point of view:

     As we walked to the plaza I was beginning to get annoyed at the sight of Jia and WooHyun flirting. I already knew they liked each other but seeing them together like this bugged me. Why did they have to flaunt their loving relationship in front of me? I was glad that Minhee hadn't confessed her liking to SungGyu yet. I was grateful for that as I walked hand in hand with Minhee. Jia had betrayed me but at least I had Minhee besides me now. 

     Jia and WooHyun were ahead of us, leading the way. SungGyu and SungJong were walking behind us, following and talking amongst themselves. I could tell Minhee was uncomfortable knowing that SungGyu was behind her. She wanted  to be besides him, talking to him, flirting if she got the chance. For some reason I felt like I was intruding on their date. SungJong and I didn't belong here, so I decided to stop my greediness.

     I had to talk to them. As much as I didn't want to, I needed to in order for this day to end smoothly, at least for their sake. My anger would only make their relationships harder right? I didn't want to make them feel guilty for dating when I couldn't date the one man I loved. 

"Minhee, why don't you go talk to the boys." I suggested. 

     Minhee looked at me in shock, it was the first time I spoke during this outing.

"What about you unni?"

"Don't worry. Go ahead, I know you want to talk to them. Or at least SungGyu." I laughed.

 "Anneo, I'm fine." 

"Liar. Go talk to SungGyu. I need to talk to SungJong anyway."

     That's the only thing I could say to convince her. Even though I really didn't want to hear a word from SungJong. Even though he had already explained to me that it was Myungsoo who had sent the text, I still couldn't believe it. They had all ignored me either way. Myungsoo couldn't have had all their phones for the past months. They were all napeun namjas as far as I knew.

"Okay unni." She smiled at me before letting go of my hand and turning back to face SungGyu and SungJong. 

     I continued walking to keep up with Jia and WooHyun. A few seconds later SungJong catches up to me.

"Noona." SungJong said.

"Mm." 

"I've really missed you. Can you forgive me?" He smiled at me cutely, aegyo overload. 

"I forgive you." I couldn't reject his cute apology.

     I need to learn how not to fall for SungJong's aegyo. Is that even possible? How can someone not give what this cute boy asked for? I'd give him the world if he'd ask me to.  

"Really?! Thank you noona! I promise I'll make it up to you. We'll be friends forever." He held on to my arm now and smiled like a child. 

     All I could do was smile and laugh at his happiness. I was glad to at least have him by my side.

     We continued walking towards the plaza and as we had arrived Jia and WooHyun had suggested we all separate. We all laughed at them for trying to subtly get away from us. 

"Go on your date love birds." I said teasing them. 

"Yah, who said this was a date?" Jia said and we all laughed.

     It couldn't be any more obvious. Regardless, we all broke up in pairs then. Minhee was a little hesitant at first but then SungGyu took hold of her hand and asked if she wanted ice cream. Minhee nodded and let SungGyu pull her away blushing. I don't think SungGyu has caught up to her feelings yet, and I was starting to think I'd need to clue him in later. SungJong and I decided to do a little browsing around a couple of clothing shops.

     Now that we had split up I began to worry. What if someone recognized SungGyu, WooHyun or SungJong? I was scared that some crazy fan girl would notice and beat Jia or Minhee up. From experience, that wasn't something I'd want my friends to go through. Or worse, someone would notice and then they'd spread rumors about them. I doubt their manger would be happy if a scandal broke out. SungJong noticed my worry right away.

 "Noona, what's wrong?"

"Aren't you guys scared of someone noticing you? Won't you all get in trouble for going out and hanging out with a girl? It wasn't a good idea to come here, someone will notice." I explained, rushing my words a bit. 

"That's what's worrying you? Haha, noona don't worry about it. Their are hundreds of explanations for that. This isn't the first time we've gone out you know?" He laughed.

"With girls?" I asked in doubt. 

"Uh, well not exactly like that but we do have girl friends. As in girls who are just friends." He laughed nervously.

"Right. We should go find the others. We can just go back to our dorm and watch a movie." 

"Okay. Let me call them." SungJong pulled out his phone in defeat. 

"Call WooHyun first. Who knows how far they've gone already."

"Yoboseo?  Hyung, SunMi doesn't feel comfortable with us out in public . . . .Yeah, that's what I told her but she doesn't want to risk it. . . .Yeah, we're by the fountain in the middle of the plaza. . .Mm, meet us in five minutes." SungJong was on the phone with WooHyun.

     After SungJong had called WooHyun, he then called SungGyu and gave him the same explanation. They all met us at the fountain in less than five minutes. Jia eyed me, mentally telling me that I had ruined her date. I'd have to apologize to her later, but I was doing this for her own good anyway. In the end she'll be the one thanking me.

"What should we do then?" Minhee asked.

"Let's go buy snacks and go back to our dorm. We can watch movies or something." I suggested.

"How about we go to our dorm instead. It's bigger." SungJong stated.

"Uh, I'm not sure about that." I answered.

     What if Myungsoo was there?

"Why? Because of Myungsoo? . . Don't worry. He has a full schedule today, he wont be home until tomorrow." WooHyun comforted me.

"I guess it's okay then." I said weakly, I was still unsure though.

"Sounds good. Lets go get some Chajangmyun for lunch." SungGyu said.

"Kaja!" WooHyun exclaimed.

     After buying Chajangmyun [Black Bean Noodles], we all headed to the market just around the corner. SungJong wanted snacks of course. He said it was a must when watching a movie, he was right. As we finished purchasing junk food, Minhee and Jia both held on to my arms now. I was a bit surprised they weren't with their dates. We walked arm in arm the entire way to their dorm.

     The boys led us in their dorm and I was quickly greeted by Hoya and DongWoo.

"SunMi!" Hoya yelled from across the living room.

"SunMi-ah, wahh we've missed you." DongWoo said.

"Mm, I've missed you too." I hugged DongWoo first and then headed over to hug Hoya.

     For some reason I had forgotten all the anger I had towards them. I had tortured SungGyu, WooHyun and SungJong with my silent treatment earlier, it wasn't fair that DongWoo and Hoya seemed to get off so easily. I'd have to get back at them later some how.

"What happened? I thought you guys were going to go hang out somewhere." Hoya asked.

"We decided that we didn't want to ruin our image so easily." SungGyu laughed while looking at me.

     We all sat down in the living room then. We ate the noodles happily and even shared the snacks that SungJong had bought. We watched a couple of horror movies too; Muoi, The Red Shoes and the movie Loner. Korean horror movies were all about curses and a big mystery behind them. It was quite entertaining trying to unravel the plot. After the second movie I noticed SungYeol wasn't around.

"Oh, SungYeol isn't here?" I said looking around.

"Haha, you barely noticed?" DongWoo laughed.

"He's with L." SungGyu informed.

     I felt bad for not noticing before. How could I forget SungYeol? Without SungYeol, INFINITE wouldn't be what they are today. I liked INFINITE as seven and I wasn't going to allow myself to forget again. We continued to watch the movies and in between the movie Loner, I heard DongWoo yawn. It was getting late and the boys probably had to get up early the next day.

"I think we should go now." I said as I got up from the couch.

"Why?" Jia asked, she didn't want to go.

"It's getting late Jia." I pointed out the window.

     It was already 9 PM.

"You go first unni." Minhee spoke now.

"That doesn't make sense. Why would I leave without you two?" I asked confused.

"Jia and I have to talk." WooHyun stated.

     Jia should stay.

"And I have to talk to SungGyu." Minhee said.

     I understand Minhee's reason too. I had no reason to stay. /Sigh/

"Okay, I'll go first then."

"Thanks for hanging out with us today noona, it was fun." SungJong said as he pulled me into a hug.

"Let's do this again soon." Hoya hugged me then.

     I hugged them all as I said good night and asked them to make sure Minhee and Jia got back home safe. Hoya walked me down to the lobby and even called a taxi cab for me. I thanked him, hugged him once more and then got in the car. I waved good bye as I watched his figure disappear. Who knows when I'll see him again.

     As we arrived back at my dorm, I paid the taxi driver and walked up to my room. As I reached the front of my door I received a text message. It was from Jia.

To: SunMi

From: Jia

Surprise! Don't be too mean, okay?

Minhee's staying with me tonight.

So have a goodnight ;) I Love You!

 

     Surprise? What is she talking about? As I stood outside my dorm room the only thing I could do was stare at the door in front of me. The silence was scaring me and I quickly pulled my keys out of my purse and turned the knob to open the door. My heart was beating hysterically and I had no idea why. That's it, no more horror movies for me.