Can't You Be My Girlfriend?

"You Know Nothing About Love"

"We're going to take her into surgery, now, Mr. Donghyun." The doctor told Donghyun in Hyemi's hospital room. "It should take around three hours. We would like to keep her in here for two nights. You may take your little sister home on Sunday."

"Um, Doctor, why exactly does Hyemi's elbow hurt?" Donghyun brushed Hyemi's bangs out of her face. She was sleeping in a hospital gown.

"She fractured her elbow due to a direct blow of some kind and didn't treat it right away. So her injury got worse and when she put pressure on it again, she experienced an unbearable pain. We need to put a metal plate and some screws from here-" the doctor pointed at Hyemi's elbow "-to here to keep her bone in place. Recovery should take two to three months. She will need to wear a cast for the first month."

Donghyun nodded as he watched the nurses push Hyemi's bed into the surgery.

*You're my lady, you're my lady, you're my lady, with you* Donghyun walked out of the room and answered Hyemi's phone. "Hello?"

"Oh! Hyung?" Minwoo exclaimed. "Where's Hyemi-ah?" Donghyun smiled when heard Minwoo's voice.

"We're in the hospital right now."

"H-hospital? What happened?!"

"Hyemi fractured her elbow and is in surgery."

"I'm coming to the hospital, Hyung. Please wait for me!" Minwoo hung up.

Donghyun laughed. "He must really like her. Hyemi, I hope you can be happy with him."

~~~~~

"Hospital?" Youngmin paused their game of Super Mario Smash Brothers.

"Mimi-ah is getting a surgery. We're going to the hospital!" Minwoo dragged Youngmin off of his couch.

----- An Hour Later -----

"Hyung!" Minwoo called out to Donghyun from the hospital's automatic doors.

Youngmin was panting hard next to Minwoo. "Minwoo. Why. Did you have. To run from the. Bus. Stop?"

"Because Mimi-ah's hurt," Minwoo snapped.

"Hi, Minwoo," Donghyun got up from the waiting room chair and patted Minwoo's shoulders. Donghyun just eyed Youngmin.

Youngmin felt embarrassed because the last time he saw Donghyun, he was getting a lecture about loyalty and playing with innocent girls' hearts.

"So how is she?" Minwoo asked.

"She's in surgery, right now." He looked at his watch. "She went in about an hour ago. The doctors said she fractured her right elbow."

Minwoo pulled his hair in frustration. "So that's why she was acting all weird on our date today."

Donghyun raised his eyebrow and smiled. "You guys went on a date today?"

"Oh!" Minwoo realized that he didn't get permission from Donghyun yet. He bowed. "I'm sorry I didn't talk to you about this earlier, Hyung, but may I date Hyemi-ah? I promise to take care of her."

Youngmin looked away uncomfortably because it wasn't that long ago that he had asked for Donghyun's permission to date Hyemi.

Donghyun smirked at Youngmin's uncomfortableness. "Of course, Minwoo. I trust you to take of my little sister. But I should warn you, she knows nothing about love." He eyed Youngmin.

Minwoo smiled. "Thank you, Hyung! I promise to make her happy."

Youngmin looked down at the ground, guilty. "I'm sorry, Hyung," he mumbled.

Donghyun patted Youngmin on the shoulders. "Let's go get something to eat. It's 6pm. You guys must be hungry. The cafeteria should be serving dinner now. My treat."

After an hour and thirty minutes in the hospital cafeteria, they decided to wait for Hyemi in her hospital room.

"So how have you been, Youngmin?" Donghyun finally turned to Youngmin after an hour and a half of ignoring him.

"I'm okay, Hyung." Youngmin uneasily looked at Donghyun. "What about you?"

"Great. How are you and Sumin?"

Youngmin flinched. "We broke up a long time ago..."

Donghyun glared at Youngmin. Youngmin expected to get scolded again but Donghyun just turned to Minwoo and talked to him about Hyemi.

"No way! Hyemi used to do that?!" Minwoo laughed.

"No joke. I would always yell at her for taking my t shirts. I used to say that I wanted a brother, but it's not the same if my "brother" has s." Donghyun replied, laughing.

"But she's so girly now. What made her change?"

"Well. I think it was in 7th grade when her boy classmate used to about being ugly. She would come home everyday crying. So she started fixing herself up and she turned out pretty, didn't she?"

"I only met Mimi-ah last year... Do you know who that boy was? I want to teach him a lesson." Minwoo cracked his knuckles, pretending to be mad. Youngmin shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

"She never said his name," Donghyun tried to remember. "But I saw pieces of paper in her room that said 'YM is a big jerk' and 'I hate YM'."

Youngmin widened his eyes. Did I hurt her that much in 7th grade?, he asked himself.

Minwoo snickered. "No wonder she hates you, Youngmin, you have the same initials as that guy."

"Yeah," Youngmin nervously laughed. 'You're so ugly! Are you even a girl?! You're manlier than me! You piece of dirt!' He remembered everything he told Hyemi back in 7th grade.

"Hyung," Minwoo pouted. "I need to use the bathroom."

Donghyun got up from his chair. "Me, too. Let's go."

They left Youngmin alone in the hospital room. He let out a big sigh. "I'm sorry for always hurting you, Mimi-ah..." He took out his cell phone and started scrolling through pictures of him and Hyemi from when they were dating. He automatically smiled at his favorite picture that he took of Hyemi sleeping, in a pretty floral dress, on his lap on their first picnic date. After staring at it for a few seconds, he set it as his cell phone wall paper.

"Mr. Donghyun?" The doctor entered the room and spotted Youngmin. "Oh, visitation hours for non-family members ended fifteen minutes ago."

Youngmin stuttered. "I'm her cousin."

"Oh, I guess good looks run in the family." The doctor complimented. "Where's her brother?"

"He went to the bathroom."

The doctor nodded. He signaled the nurses to push Hyemi's bed into the room. "She should wake up soon. If she feels any pain, just push the button on the wall and I will come immediately."

Youngmin bowed. "Thank you."

The doctor and nurses left the room. Youngmin dragged his chair to Hyemi's bedside. He looked at her vulnerable elbow; it was positioned ontop of an elevated pillow. There was a fresh, long, red scar where they cut her open to place the metal plate and screws. Youngmin felt a pang in his heart and his hand reached out to touch the scar.

"Ah!" Hyemi cried in pain in her sleep.

Youngmin moved his hand away. He looked at his hands and then at Hyemi's painful expression, full of guilt. "I always seem to hurt you..."

Hyemi slowly opened her eyes. "Youngmin? What are you doing here?"

Youngmin smiled, "I'm here to make sure you're alright."

"Where's Minwoo?" Hyemi looked around the room.

Youngmin clenched his fist. "He went to use the bathroom."

She nodded and closed her eyes again.

He pouted and put his face next to hers. "You don't even care that I'm here?"

"Tell me when Minwoo comes in." She didn't even open her eyes.

Sad and upset at the same time, Youngmin sat back down and texted Minwoo that Hyemi was awake.

A minute later, Minwoo barged into the room with Donghyun. "Mimi-ah! Are you ok?"

Hyemi smiled brightly, "Mhm."

Youngmin stood up and walked out the door. Minwoo and Hyemi were too busy talking that they didn't even notice that Youngmin left.

Youngmin ordered a Caramel Frappichino from the coffee shop in the hospital's cafeteria. He sat at an empty seat as he waited for his order.

 

*Text: From Kwangie <3: Where are you, Hyung? O.o*

*From: Youngie <3: At the hospital. Mimi-ah got elbow surgery D:*

*From: Kwangie <3: Oh no's! D; Is she alright? Are you coming home soon? Mommy is worried.*

*From: Youngie <3: She's fine :] I might stay at the hospital with Mimi-ah.*

*From: Kwangie <3: Ok, but we have dance practice at 10am tomorrow :o*

*From: Youngie <3: Oh, I'll come home in the morning :)*

*From: Kwangie <3: Hyung? :O*

*From: Youngie <3: Hm? O.o*

*From: Kwangie <3: Do you still like Hyemi-ah? "/*

*From: Youngie <3: Don't worry about it. I won't do anything. She's happy with Minwoo, so I'm happy, too :)*

*From: Kwangie <3: What are you talking about, Hyung? Dx*

*From: Youngie <3: Nothing :) Gotta go, my Frap is here. Good night <3*

*From: Kwangie <3: ... Good night <333*

 

A pretty young waitress placed the drink on the table. "Um. Are you in high school?" She asked, nervously.

Youngmin looked up confused. "Yes?"

"Um," she pushed her bangs behind her ears. "Can I get your number?"

Youngmin tilted his head. "Why?"

The waitress was startled. "Oh! Um. Because... You seem like a nice guy and I want to get to know you."

Youngmin apologetically smiled. "I'm sorry. I have a girlfriend." He frowned when he remembered that him and Hyemi broke up ten months ago and that she's with Minwoo.

"Oh..." The waitress frowned and stomped back to the counter to fulfill another order.

After finishing his drink, he left a tip on the table and walked back to Hyemi's room.

"How are you feeling, now, Mimi-ah?" Youngmin said as he opened the door.

"SH!" Minwoo loudly shushed him. "Hyemi fell asleep," He then whispered.

"Oh, sorry," Youngmin tiptoed to a chair as Donghyun shook his head.

"It's already 11pm, are you guys planning on staying the night?" Donghyun asked Minwoo and Youngmin.

Youngmin nodded but Minwoo facepalmed himself. "I forgot to call my mom." He excused himself to call his mom in the hallway.

It was silent. Youngmin took out his phone and started up the guitar application. He strum a few chords and hummed to 'Don't Touch My Girl'. Donghyun pretended that he was looking at a magazine when he was really listening to Youngmin.

Minwoo came back into the room. "My mom said that I should go home and pick up my clothes for tomorrow morning's dance lesson."

"I'll drive you," Donghyun offered. "What about you, Youngmin?"

"I'm going home tomorrow morning before the lesson."

"Stay here and take care of Hyemi," Donghyun hesistated to say. They left Youngmin alone again.

Youngmin sat on the chair next to Hyemi again. "Minwoo..." She mumbled. He ignored her and started to play with her hair. After an hour, Youngmin held her hand and fell asleep at her bedside.

----- An hour later; 1am ------

"Wow, Minwoo, you told your parents about dating my little sister but you didn't even talk to me? I thought we were friends!" Donghyun clutched his heart pretending to be hurt.

"Sorry, Hyung," Minwoo danced to Sorry Sorry by Super Junior.

"I forgive you," Donghyun laughed and ruffled Minwoo's hair.

They walked into the hospital elevator. "Hyung? Why do you hate Youngmin?" Minwoo blurted out.

Donghyun crossed his arms. "He broke my little sister's heart. How can I not hate him?"

"True. But he's not a bad person."

Donghyun sighed. "I know. I just can't seem to forgive him." He looked at Minwoo. "You better take care of Mimi-ah, I'm counting on you."

Minwoo beamed.

"Oh!" Donghyun remembered. "I'm going to go to supermarket down the street to buy some snacks for you."

"And Youngmin," Minwoo reminded him.

"Right, right." Minwoo stepped out of the elevator but Donghyun stayed in the elevator and handed Minwoo Hyemi's bag of clothes. Minwoo skipped down the hallway to Hyemi's room with his and Hyemi's dufflebag of clothes. He opened the door and saw Youngmin with his hands wrapped around Hyemi's, fast asleep. Even though he was jealous, he didn't show it. He set the bags onto the couch and laid his head on them.

*Baby can we turn back the time. You and I~* Minwoo hurried over to Youngmin and pulled his phone out of his pocket. "Hello? Sorry, wrong number." He pressed the end button and was startled to see Youngmin's new wallpaper. Hyemi looks so beautiful..., Minwoo stared at the picture. He looked at Youngmin sleeping.

"Mimi-ah..." Youngmin sighed in his sleep. "Don't leave..."

Angry, Minwoo forcefully separated Youngmin's hands from Hyemi's.

Hyemi shifted in her sleep. "Youngminnie..."

Minwoo slumped on the ground. Does she still like him?, Minwoo sadly thought.

He looked at Youngmin's wallpaper of Hyemi again. Mimi-ah... Can't you be my girlfriend?

 

---------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading! I really appreciate all of the subscriptions, comments, and support! <3

Sorry I didn't update yesterday, I had to study for my Biology Honors test xP

Tetrads... Homologous pairs... Mitosis... Telephase... Centriole... Blah haha

Hope this chapter was good :D

~ Kii-chan <3