But I Only Have One Heart

"You Know Nothing About Love"

----- January; 4th period Basic Physics honors -----

"Pst!" Minwoo finally resulted to making noises to get Hyemi's attention. "Psssttt!"

Kwangmin nudged Hyemi. "I think Minwoo wants to talk to you." Hyemi glanced at Minwoo from across the room. He smiled brightly at her but she went back to her worksheet, uninterested. "That's kind of mean, Mimi-ah." She just shrugged.

Hyemi stole a peak at Minwoo and he held out a heart shape lollipop, mouthing 'for you'. She pretended to be mad to hide her red cheeks.

"I thought you and Minwoo were on better terms," Yoonjung whispered. "Oh, hey, Minwoo."

Hyemi looked up and saw Minwoo crouching infront of her. "Hyemi."

"What?" She frowned when he still didn't call her by her nickname. Minwoo hadn't said her nickname to her face in a while. She missed hearing him say 'Mimi-ah'.

Minwoo held out the heart shaped lollipop. "I got this for you from Disneyland. Don't you want it?"

Instinctively, Hyemi wanted to accept it but she resisted. "That's ok. Thank you anyways."

"Are you sure?" He persisted.

Hyemi felt a pair of eyes starting at her. From the table next to hers, Eunhae was fuming with jealousy. "Um. Yeah, I'm sure. Maybe you should give it to Eunhae. I think she wants it more than I do."

He stared at the lollipop in his hands before standing up to go. "But I only have one heart..." He trudged his way back to his seat.

"Why didn't you take it?" Kwangmin asked her.

"I know you love candy," Yoonjung teased.

"If I take it, it might lead him on." Hyemi secretly regretted not taking it. "Anyways, I'm with Hyunseong now."

Kwangmin and Yoonjung looked at each other and shook their heads. "They used to be inseperable..."

"Are you okay, Minwoo?" Eunhae asked while Minwoo wiped away his tears.

He nodded and sniffled.

"She didn't take it?"

He shook his head.

"Can I have it?"

Minwoo glared at Eunhae but gave it to her anyways. "Here, take it."

Hyemi saw Minwoo give the lollipop to Eunhae and was instantly jealous. Was he just testing me?, Hyemi thought. Just because I don't accept, he gives it right away to Eunhae? I guess I don't mean anything to you, Minwoo...

*Bell Rang*

Hyemi got all of her stuff together and was about to leave when Woojin walked up her. "H-hyemi-ah? Can I ask you a question?"

She smiled at him. "Sure. What's up, Woojin? Did you want me to tutor you in Geometry again? I'm free right now."

"No, that's not it." He scratched his head nervously. Kwangming, Yoonjung, and Minwoo were eavesdropping from Minwoo's table.

"What is he asking her?" Minwoo asked Kwangmin.

"Maybe a math question?" Kwangmin replied.

Yoonjung gasped. "Is he going to ask her to the Freshmen Banquet? It's next week."

Minwoo's jaw dropped. "Woojin likes Hyemi?"

Yoonjung slapped her head playfully. "Everyone likes Hyemi."

Woojin took a deep breath. "Will you go to Freshmen Banquet with me?" Yoonjung fist pumped.

Hyemi smiled at him. "You're a great friend but I'm sorry." Woojin frowned. "I'm in charge of the banquet so I'll be running around taking care of things. It won't be fair for you because I'll be busy. Thank you, though." She touched his arm and smiled. He smiled back and walked out of the room.

"Woojin likes Hyemi?" Minwoo said quietly.

"Who are you going to ask to Freshmen Banquet?" Yoonjung asked Kwangmin, ignoring Minwoo.

"No one. It's only in the gym. I don't see what the point of having a date to a gym party is." Kwangmin stuck out his tongue.

"Should I ask Hyemi?" Minwoo thought out loud.

"Are you crazy?" Yoonjung and Kwangmin said at the same time. "What makes you think she'll say yes?" Yoonjung added.

"I don't know." Minwoo shook his head and left.

Kwangmin watched Minwoo leave. "He still likes her, doesn't he?"

Yoonjung shrugged. "He overreacted. His fault."

~~~~~

"Hyemi-ah!" Hyunseong jogged up to her in the hallway.

"Hyunseong-Oppa!" She smiled and hugged him. "I was going to meet you at the entrance gate after I put some things in my locker."

"About that, I'm going to have to cancel our stroll in the park today." He put his arm on her shoulder. "I have a last minute Junior prom meeting."

"Ok, it's alright." She stuck her tongue out at him. "But you owe me a stroll tomorrow."

"Deal," he laughed. "Isn't Freshmen Banquet next week? Don't you guys have meetings, too?"

"Nope."

"Mimi-ah!" Seohee ran up to her and Hyunseong. "Emergency Freshmen Banquet meeting! We have some last minute attendees but we don't have enough tables and chairs. What are we going to dooooo???!!!"

"And you were saying?" Hyunseong mocked.

Hyemi stuck her tongue out at him. He kissed her on the cheek and took his arm off of her shoulder. "Maybe we can go on a date after our meetings. I'll text you when I'm done."

"Ok," Hyemi blushed.

Seohee giggled and took Hyemi's hand. "To the Freshmen Advisor room!"

~~~~~

"So we have five last minute attendees? We can just borrow a few chairs from the band room and add them to the existing tables." Hyemi suggested. "If anything, someone can take my seat and my dinner. I can eat when I get home."

"That's kind of you, Hyemi, but I hope we don't have to result to that." Misun (President) replied. "So, that wasn't such a terrible problem. Since we're already here, let' go over some details."

"Ok, the banquet next week Friday starts at 6pm, doors open at 5:30 and ends at 10pm. Is it alright if we meet at the gym to set up right after school and stay after to help clean up?" Hyemi asked the rest of the student council members. They nodded in agreement. "The food will arrive at 5 so we should have everything set up by then. Seohee, can you take care of the paper flowers for the table decorations? The rest can help blow up balloons with the helium tanks. Is there anything else that needs to be addressed?"

"Yeah," Misun said. "I talked to Youngmin and he said that the balloon-twisting (balloon animal) company he and Kwangmin started working for are willing to work at the banquet. They said they can do it for free."

"That's great, I'll write up a letter of thanks and send it to the company the Monday after the banquet. If any other problems happen, we can work it out just like this." Hyemi praised everyone.

"Thank you, Hyemi," the other student council members said as they got up to leave. "See you next week Friday."

"Bye, see you guys." Hyemi waved at them.

"The Junior class president said that their council members can help with the I.D. check at the door of the banquet," Misun nudged Hyemi.

"Really?" Hyemi asked excited. "Hyunseong-Oppa said that?"

Misun laughed. "Someone's happy."

"Is Daejung going to help out, too?" Seohee asked Misun.

"Who's Daejung?"

"Oh. No one."

"Daejung is Seohee's little crush," Hyemi tickled Seohee.

"Hey!" Seohee laughed and tried to tickle Hyemi back.

"Hyemi-ah!" Hyunseong called from outside of the room. "Ready?"

"Bye, Hyunseong-I mean Hyemi!" Seohee teased.

Hyemi waved at them and walked up to Hyunseong. "Did your meeting end early?"

"Yep," he held her hand.

"I see. How did it go?"

"It went well but it looks like I won't be able to take you to Junior prom with me. This year, we're not allowed to take underclassmen." He stopped and looked sadly in her eyes.

"It's alright," Hyemi lied. "I wasn't expecting anything."

"But I was. I really wanted to take you."

"Don't worry about it, Oppa. It's the thought that counts." She kissed him on the nose. He blushed and hugged her. "Shall we go to the park?"

Hyunseong wrapped him arms around her waist. "Let's go."

~~~~~

"Are you going to ask anyone to Freshmen banquet?" Youngmin asked Minwoo while they played video games at Youngmin's house.

Minwoo knocked out Youngmin's video game character. "I win! Yep, I'm thinking of asking someone."

"Who?" Youngmin pouted as his life meter diminished. "Eunhae?"

Minwoo made a face. "No. She's just a friend. Are you going to ask anyone?"

Youngmin blushed. "Yes."

Minwoo poked his cheeks. "Who's the lucky girl?"

Youngmin shook his head cutely. "You first."

"On three, let's say who we want to ask, okay?" Minwoo made a deal.

"Ok. One... Two... Three..."

"Mimi-ah," they both said at the same time. "What?!"

----- Freshmen Banquet preparations -----

It was already 4pm, the tables and chairs were all set up. They just needed to put on the decorations and blow up the balloons.

"Does this look good?" Seohee showed Hyemi her paper flower decoration.

Hyemi praised, "It's beautiful! Can you teach me how to make that?"

"Of course!" Seohee demonstrated how to make it to Hyemi while Hyemi followed her example.

"Woah! It's hard!" Hyemi looked at her failure of a paper flower. "Um... Maybe I shouldn't try and help." They laughed.

"I heard Minwoo asked Eunhae to be his date for today's banquet," Yoonjung frowned as she walked up to Hyemi and Seohee.

"What?! That's a lie," Seohee objected.

"It's true. Jieun was throwing a tantrum today because she heard him ask her."

"Jieun? I haven't seen her since Homecoming. I wonder if she's doing well," Hyemi thought out loud.

"You're so nice, Mimi-ah," Seohee commented. "Jieun tried to break you and Minwoo up but you still want her to be happy?"

Hyemi shrugged. "We weren't officially dating. And she didn't do anything so there's no reason to be mad. Plus, it's all in the past now."

"I still don't think Minwoo would ask Eunhae. They don't match." Yoonjung wrinkled her nose.

"Why don't we ask him then?" They all looked at the gym door and saw Minwoo walk in with a rose.

As they walked to him, Hyemi hoped that the rose was for her.

"Who's the rose for?" Seohee asked bitterly.

Minwoo glanced at Hyemi. "It's for Hyemi. Oh, I mean Eunhae."

Hyemi furrowed her eyebrows angrily. He called her 'Hyemi' again. She was also angry because knew he said Eunhae on purpose to make her mad. "I'm going to go blow up the balloons." She stomped away.

"You jerk..." Yoonjung gritted her teeth and followed Hyemi to the balloon pump.

"Whatever." Minwoo snarled. He looked sadly at the rose.

"What's the matter with you?" Seohee snapped at Minwoo.

"Nothing." Minwoo turned to leave.

"Is that rose really for Eunhae?" She asked quietly.

He shook his head. "I bought it while thinking of giving it to Mimi-ah... Then I realized that she wouldn't accept it."

"Did you ask Eunhae to be your date for tonight?"

He shook his head again. "I was practicing to ask Mimi-ah to be my date... Then I realized that she wouldn't say yes."

"You don't know about love ." Seohee mumbled. "Hyemi probably hoped that the flower was for her. If you tried a little harder, I think you could fix your relationship with Mimi-ah."

"I don't know anymore." Minwoo took out the box with the necklace he tried to give to Hyemi. "I want to give up."

"Is that the diamond heart necklace? Hyemi told me about it."

Minwoo opened the box to confirm that it was the necklace. After hesitating, he threw it into the recently emptied trash can.

Seohee gasped and dug the necklace back out. "Don't give up!" She forced the necklace back into his pocket.

Minwoo stared at her. "Why shouldn't I?"

"Because!"

He anticipated her answer.

"I've never had a boyfriend or anything but I know Hyemi. She really likes you."

He scoffed. "She's with Hyunseong."

"She's only with him because he was there for her when you weren't."

He blinked. "Are you saying she doesn't like him?"

"After all of the times they spent together, she probably grew to like him. He's going to graduate after next year." She pointed out. "Once he graduates, who's going to take care of her?"

"Youngmin."

Seohee laughed. "Once a player, always a player."

"Hyunseong and Hyemi could do a long distance relationship kind of thing?"

"Oh, please. Long distance never works. There's something about Hyunseong that I don't like."

"He's perfect. How could you not like him?"

Seohee tapped her head. "I get the feeling that he's not an honest person. It's like he keeps a lot of things to himself."

"Girls like mystery, don't they?"

"Not when it comes to hiding things that will hurt other people. But anyways, Hyemi still has feelings for you. She wouldn't be cranky right now if she didn't like you." Seohee pointed at Hyemi who was angrily blowing up balloons. After blowing up a balloon, she couldn't tie it closed so she gave up and let the air out of the balloon. She scratched her head and laid down in the pile of already blown up balloons.

"She's so childish." Minwoo laughed.

Seohee placed her hands on Minwoo's shoulders. "So don't give up, okay?"

Minwoo nodded. "Thank you." Minwoo placed the rose on the gym floor and they walked over to Hyemi who had her eyes closed as she laid on the ground.

"It's only 4:30 and you're already tired?" Seohee asked as she sat next to Hyemi. Minwoo sat on the other side of Hyemi.

"I'm not tired." Hyemi kept her eyes closed and threw a balloon at Minwoo, thinking it was Seohee.

"Ow! I knew you hated me, but I didn't think you hated me that much." Minwoo took two balloons and hit her with it.

Hyemi's eyes flew open. "I don't hate you, Minmin-ah."

Minwoo smiled and the atmosphere grew tense.

"Why so serious?" Seohee took a balloon and chucked it at both Minwoo and Hyemi.

They laughed and started throwing balloons at each other.

"Ah!" Hyemi pretended to twist her ankle.

"Mimi-ah!" Minwoo ran over to her. "Are you okay?"

When he was close enough, she tickled him, making him fall down laughing. She pushed his shoulders down to he couldn't get up. When he stopped laughing, their face was only a few inches away from each other. They both blushed. "You said 'Mimi-ah'."

"Huh?"

"You said 'Mimi-ah'. I miss hearing you say 'Mimi-ah'."

Minwoo blushed. "Best friends again?" He asked innocently.

Hyemi nodded and helped him sit back up. Seohee was giggled with Yoonjung from a distance.

"I don't hate you," Hyemi bluntly said.

Minwoo looked at her. "Then why are you so mad at me?"

She sighed. "I don't know."

He smiled when he interpretted her "I don't know" as a confirmation that she still liked him.

"Why are you smiling?"

"Because I'm happy," he her hair. "Mimi-ah."

She smiled.

"Why are you smiling?" Minwoo immitated her.

"Because I'm happy, too."

He placed his hand on her cheek and slowly leaned in. Hyemi closed her eyes, anticipating the kiss.

 

--------------------------------------------------

Update :) I'm sorry that this chapter was kind of boring ><"

I'm starting to run out of ideas (oh noooo)

Initially, the story is supposed to end in the next two or three chapters...

I was going to make a sequel...

But then I decided to continue the entire story line under "You Don't Know About Love"

But then I realize that it would be too long to smash everything in here.

Ahhhh, I don't know -.-"

Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

~ Kii-chan <3