FAN: Chapter Five

FAN

Author's Note: Brace yourselves for the mush. XD

FAN

 

Chapter Five

 

 Adri soon realized that she was peeking into a practice room. The walls were covered with tall mirrors, and a clothing rack stood nearby.

I could stand here and listen to him sing all night…but I really don’t wanna get caught spying…Adri thought. She took a cautious step back only to have someone push her inside.  Adri let out a little yelp as she flew forward, completely off balance. Jonghyun only had a couple seconds to react so he stood up quickly and held out his arms. Adri fell into them awkwardly, and they both crashed into the wall, ending up on the floor in a jumbled heap.

When Adri’s head stopped spinning, she looked up at the door, but the culprit was gone.

Who had shoved her?

Jonghyun sat up with a groan, his adorable nose wrinkling in pain.

“Omo! Are you OK? I am so sorry- someone pushed me in here!” Adri babbled.

Jonghyun gave her a coy smile, “Someone pushed you in here?”

“Yeah! But they disappeared,” Adri answered, still eyeing the door suspiciously.

“What were you doing here in the first place?” Jonghyun questioned slyly.

Adri’s mind went blank, “Uh…well…um..”

“It’s OK!” Jonghyun said cheerfully, hopping to his feet. He helped Adri up and asked, “How’s your foot?”

“Practically healed. Yunho's a good Doctor,” Adri said. “Why are you up singing at this hour? Having trouble sleeping like me?”

“I guess,” Jonghyun said laughing. He paused the instrumental of ‘In My Room’ and ran a hand through his brown hair. Sighing, he stared at the girl before him, wondering if he should confide in her. “To be honest..”he started. “I’m a little nervous.”

“Why?” Adri inquired.

“Shinee has a mini-concert coming up, and the song you just heard is on the set list. We’re performing it last…as the grand finale,” Jonghyun explained, keeping his eyes on the floor.

“Ok…? Why are you so nervous about singing In My Room?” Adri persisted.

“Because…we have to sing it in suits while slow-dancing with girls,” Jonghyun said, turning pink.

“Oh,” Adri said softly, not really knowing how to respond. Then she got an idea. “Your singing sounds great, but have you practiced the choreography yet? If you do, then you’ll probably feel more comfortable with the intimacy.”

“But there isn’t a set choreography. Our concert coordinator told us to do what feels right. He wants it to be naturally romantic,” Jonghyun explained.

“Oh…” Adri said again.

“Besides, where am I gonna find a girl to practice wi-” Jonghyun stopped talking immediately, and looked at Adri.

Adri knew exactly what he was thinking, and wished she had just kept her big mouth shut.  Slow dancing with him while he sang to her was a bad idea. She wouldn’t be able to take it! So she took a step back. Then another, and said, “I know what you’re thinking, and the answer is no.”

Jonghyun walked toward her slowly, “Come on. Please?”

“No.”

“During breakfast you told me you’ve always wanted to try ballroom dancing.”

“Listen, ballroom dancing and slow dancing are two very different things, Jonghyun,” Adri argued.

“But you’re the only girl around!” The brown haired boy pleaded as he moved closer.

“Use Taemin! He’s pretty enough!” Adri said loudly, before her back hit a wall. She looked around and realized Jonghyun had purposely backed her into a corner. He was right in front of her now, smiling brightly. The sly thing planned that… Adri thought, slightly surprised, but amused nonetheless.

Jonghyun’s face was only inches away from hers. “Please?” He said again before giving her the most adorable look she had ever seen.

Adri melted instantly, her knees turning into jelly. “Fine…” She whispered, suddenly dizzy.

“Yay!” Jonghyun cheered, running over to the ipod dock. Adri watched him fumble around happily from the wall as she recovered. Soon the slow, beautiful melody of ‘In My Room’ filled the air, and Jonghyun began to sing. His smooth, soulful voice echoed in the empty room, sending shivers down Adri’s spine.

“I close my eyes on this sleepless night
And you dance in my thoughts
I get so angry at myself, who knew nothing
I turn on the lights and look around my room
The place where my two faint eyes rest on
is where I put the birthday present I didn’t throw away
and everything of you

Cause you were my sun, the moon
You were my everything and
Everything in my room seems to miss you
If I get tired putting myself in harm’s way to find you
and forget for a moment
our hidden memories still linger
cause you're still in my room”

As Jonghyun sang, he approached Adri slowly; his usually playful eyes were serious and fixed on her. He put his hand on Adri’s shoulder, and slid it down her arm until he was holding her hand. Adri’s heart stopped completely, and her brown eyes widened. It was like the music had changed him into another person! She had heard that musicians got really confident when they were performing, but this was surreal!

“A picture of you, I found in a box under a layer of dust

A love letter filled with my young heart…”

 Jonghyun sang softly, pulling Adri away from the wall, and into his arms.

“…And everything of you,” he whispered huskily.

A lump was starting to form in Adri’s throat, and she was finding it hard to breathe. Jonghyun was only about two inches or so taller than her, but Adri couldn’t bear to meet his eyes. She was afraid that her feelings would be written all over her face.

Jonghyun seemed to notice this, so he put two fingers under her chin, and lifted her head up. Then he took both of her hands and positioned them around his neck. They swayed to the music in the dark, the sound of the acoustic guitar in the song echoing in the room.

Jonghyun was enveloped by the music, and he was enjoying the feel of Adri’s soft bathrobe under his fingers, but somewhere in the back of his mind a small voice was screaming, What are you doing?! He ignored it though, and pulled Adri closer, resting his hands just above her waist.

“Cause you were the sun, the moon…you were my everything,” Jonghyun sang quietly in Adri’s ear. He spun her around slowly, and was about to pull her back in when a blinding light filled the room.

Jonghyun stopped singing abruptly. “What the-?” He murmured , looking toward the door. Yunho stood there staring at him, his hand still on the light switch. A cold feeling swept over Jonghyun’s body as reality set in. He dropped Adri’s hand.

~~~

EL FIN