FAN: Chapter Nine

FAN

 Author's Note: My profile page explains why it took me so long to update. Sorry to everyone who has been waiting patiently for this chapter! :)

FAN

 

Chapter Nine

 

     Seoul was a very modern city, but there were a lot of hidden gems. Adri’s jaw dropped throughout the evening as Yunho took her to historic places like Kyunghee Palace and the Sungkok Art Museum. She was amazed at how much he knew about his country’s history and thought it was adorable how he was so eager to show her everything.

    Around eight o’clock Adri and Yunho had dinner in Millennium Plaza, a sleek and futuristic skyscraper located in downtown Seoul. By nine-thirty, Yunho was leading his date to an undisclosed location. “Just tell me where we’re going!” Adri whined, tugging on his arm.

   “No. That’s the surprise.”

   “Aw…please?”

   Yunho chuckled and kept walking. “I thought you loved surprises?”

   “I do,” Adri replied. “But you know what I love more?”

   Yunho turned to face her. “What?”

   “Surprises I know about.”

   Yunho grinned, shook his head in amazement, and kept walking.

   Adri pouted. She was dying to know what the big surprise was! She had bugged Yunho all throughout dinner, but he wouldn’t give in and tell her.

   “Close your eyes,” Yunho said out of nowhere.

   “What? Why?”

   “Do you ever just listen?” Yunho mused, coming toward her.

   “Nope.”

   The young man stepped behind Adri, and pulled out a blindfold. “That’s why I brought this…”

   “You know me so well already,” Adri joked, allowing him to slip the blindfold over her eyes.

   Yunho grasped her hands and murmured softly, “I’m gonna guide you, OK?”

   Adri just nodded- she was a little dizzy. Every time Yunho held her hands her stomach dropped. It didn’t seem to matter that they had done it before. It always felt new. Adri swallowed the lump forming in and managed to say, “I trust you, but I’m already clumsy. If I fall and bust my face open you are so dead.”

   Yunho chuckled, quite amused with his spunky date. “Don’t worry, I’ve got you.” He squeezed Adri’s hands for emphasis. “Now, let’s go. I don’t wanna be late.”

~~~

 

            When the blindfold dropped, Adri let out a loud gasp.

            She was standing on a dock in front of a white yacht that was decorated with tiny blinking lights. Soft jazz music lingered in the air and the moon was full.

            “Surprise,” Yunho said softly.

            Adri turned to him with wide open. “Oh my God, Yunho! You really didn’t have to do this…”

            “I wanted to,” he replied.

            Adri felt like she was walking on clouds as Yunho lead her onto the magnificent sea vessel.

            An attendant greeted them right away. “Welcome aboard, Mr. Jung! You’re right on time!”

~~~

            Changmin struggled to hide his delight when Amanda received a text from Adri stating she was fine. Now they didn’t have to search the giant hotel.

            “Good…” Amanda sighed in relief. “She’s with Yunho, and they’re about to leave.”

            “Why’d she run off in the first place?” Changmin asked.

            Amanda shrugged, “The text didn’t go into any details…but I’m sure I’ll hear everything later…”

            “Just like I’ll be forced to listen to every detail of Yunho’s magical night,” Changmin grumbled. His mock complaint elicited a hearty laugh from the young girl.

            “You guys actually talk about stuff like that?”

            Changmin pretended to scan the area for any eavesdroppers, before whispering, “Yunho and Yoochun are the worst!”

            Amanda dissolved into a fit of giggles, tears forming in her eyes.

            “That’s why I was surprised Yunho kept his mouth shut about Adri. He can usually go on about mushy stuff for hours!” Changmin continued, loving the sound of her laughter. “I’d rather sit through a bad romantic comedy than listen to him and Yoochun talk.”

            “Stop!” Amanda begged. “My stomach hurts!” She pictured Yunho and Yoochun, two grown men, hugging frilly, pink pillows and gushing about their crushes. What if they get into pillow fights too?! The imagery was just hilarious.

            Changmin could have stopped there, but the urge to impress Amanda with his wit, got the best of him, and he spoke before thinking. “Onew swears he’s an exception, but after admitting I was right about you being adorable he-”

            Changmin caught his mistake instantly, but it was too late. Amanda was now staring at him with a shocked expression on her face. “What…?” she whispered.

            As an entertainer Changmin had gone through his fair share of embarrassing moments, but he had always regarded them as part of the job; because tripping during a performance or looking like an idiot on a popular variety show were things that happened to most idols sooner or later.

            Blurting out that you thought someone was attractive right in front of them (and incriminating a friend in the process) was a different kind of embarrassment.

            A type of embarrassment Changmin never imagined he would face in his lifetime.

            “Is that what Onew was talking about?” Amanda questioned slowly.

            Changmin turned bright red, his eyes dropping to the floor. He was nauseous, and his palms were drenched in sweat.

            What could be said or done in a situation like this?

            For once, the quick-witted boy had no idea.

            Amanda continued to stare at him in shock, unaware that she was holding her breath. Even though the answer was painfully obvious, she wanted to hear Changmin say “Yes.”

            The silence became deafening, and just when Changmin thought he might actually die…a voice chided, “So this is where you’ve been?”

            The tall boy whirled around to see Jaejoong, Junsu, and Yoochun striding briskly toward him.

            He was saved.

            Changmin bit his lip, ready to cry. He would have to thank his dear hyungs later.

            “Didn’t you hear my question, little one?” Jaejoong teased; playfully kneeing his dongseng in the backside.

            Changmin stumbled forward awkwardly and hit Amanda; who lost her balance and began to fall back.  He gasped, and tried to grab the young girl’s hand, but failed.

            Amanda was expecting to hit the cold and unforgiving marble floor. 

            She found herself against something soft and fragrant instead.

            “That was close, huh?” Yoochun asked, smiling. He was on his knees with the startled girl in his arms.

            Oh my God…no! I weigh a ton! Amanda thought in agony.

            “Wow. You’re pretty light,” Yoochun said suddenly, as if he had read her mind.

            Amanda stood up quickly and mumbled, “Thanks for catching me.”

            The raven-haired idol simply nodded, “No problem.”

            “Sorry…” Jaejoong murmured sheepishly.

            “It’s OK. I’m fine,” Amanda assured him.

            A grin spread across the older boy’s face, and his large brown eyes sparkled mischievously. “So…how do you know our little one?”

            Changmin rolled his eyes at the humiliating nickname. According to Jaejoong, “little one” was perfect for him, because he was the maknae of DBSK, but the biggest when it came to physical size.

            It was apparent that Jaejoong enjoyed the irony of the nickname, and made use of it at every opportunity that presented itself.

            Anger sat in the pit of Changmin’s stomach like a heavy anchor, but its recipient remained ambiguous. He didn’t know whether to be angry at Jaejoong for kneeing him in the bum or Yoochun for holding Amanda bridal-style.

            Meanwhile, Amanda was trying to get his attention, but the small task proved to be impossible. She sighed and answered Jaejoong’s probing question, “We met in the lobby.”

            “You’re Amanda, aren’t you?” Junsu gushed. He could no longer contain his curiosity.

            Jaejoong’s entire face lit-up. “I knew it! Is it possible for me to be wrong?”

            Yoochun sighed and glanced at Changmin. The poor boy looked absolutely mortified.

            Jaejoong suddenly winked at Amanda. “My dongseng has very good taste,” he teased.

            “Hyung!” Changmin shouted in horror.

            “OK, that’s enough,” Yoochun said, attempting to defuse the situation. “Junsu, please remove Jaejoong hyung.”

            “Yes, sir!” Junsu exclaimed. He gave his band mate a firm salute before grasping Jaejoong’s arm.

            “What? What did I do?” Jaejoong asked innocently. “Why do I need to be removed?”

            “Come on, troublemaker,” said Junsu as he dragged the impish boy across the hotel’s wide corridor.

            “Hey, you were curious too!” Jaejoong protested.

            “Shh…”

            “Bye Amanda! We’ll see you later!”

            Changmin smacked his forehead. He was going to strangle Jaejoong…and dump his body in the Han River. By tomorrow, DBSK will only have four members…He plotted.

            Amanda’s head throbbed violently. At this point, all she wanted were painkillers, and her soft bed back in the suite.

            “Sorry about that. He gets really excited,” Yoochun explained in behalf of his band mate.

            Amanda simply nodded, not really knowing how to respond.

            “We have to go, but if you ever need help with anything, let us know,” he finished politely.

            Amanda watched Yoochun cart Changmin off, and sighed. “Why couldn’t you just say it?”

            The empty corridor made no reply.

~~~

 Author's Note: I tried to do some research on tourist attractions/cool places in Seoul so I wouldn't sound like an idiot describing Adri and Yunho's date. xD If I have failed...then please forgive me.