FAN: Chapter Two

FAN

 Author's Note: Yunho and Changmin are fully introduced in this chapter, along with a surprise toward the end. >:3 Adri and Amanda's adventure is just beginning...

 

FAN

 

Chapter Two

 

Yunho Jung had been a little depressed on the way to his Aunt’s hotel. His new drama wasn’t doing well, and the critics were ripping it to shreds like hungry wolves. He would have never guessed that his first attempt at serious acting would be like this.

All he wanted to do was show people that he was more than just a dancer. He worked so hard…yet the end result was a drama that fell short of everyone’s expectations.

So that’s why when a strange girl rammed into him in the lobby of Hotel Jung, he couldn’t help but smile. He was surprised at first, because she was a foreigner, but frowned when he saw how upset she was. Something bad must’ve happened, he reasoned. But what can I do? My English …

Yunho was about to say something when she looked up at him. He stared into her eyes and noticed each emotion that flashed through them: fear, anxiety, and then something unexpected…recognition. Yunho’s heart started beating a little faster, and his grip tightened on the girl’s shoulders, the soft material of her sweater making his palms sweat.

No way…he thought. There’s no way this girl would know who I am. Dong Bang Shin Ki is non-existent out of Asia… (Author’s Note: Yeah right…if DBSK only knew how many International fans they had…)

All of Yunho’s questions were answered when his Aunt showed up, and started talking to the young woman. He stole glances at her, and realized she was a little nervous. Yunho didn’t know how the girl knew his Aunt, but he suspected that she knew his name long before he mentioned it.

~~~

“Oh…my God!” Amanda Wang whispered fiercely. She shut her eyes and pinched her arm, then looked up again. She still saw the same thing. Adri had crashed into…U-KNOW Yunho. Out of all the people in South Korea her friend had bumped into a Hallyu superstar.

Amanda started breathing harder.

“I need water!” She shouted to no one in particular. She would definitely start hyper-ventilating if she didn’t get something to drink soon.

Amanda dashed to the hotel’s nearest vending machine, and crammed a dollar in, desperate for water. The machine spit the dollar back in her face, and Amanda almost throttled it. She smoothed out the bill, and let out a frustrated sigh when she realized it was an American dollar. A Korean vending machine couldn’t take American money…

“Here…let me get that,” A familiar quiet voice said in Hangul. A long arm appeared on her right, and slipped some Won into the vending machine. He hadn’t asked her what she wanted, but seconds later he pulled a bottle of water out of the machine. Amanda whirled around and came face-to-face with Changmin. Actually…face-to-stomach. The young man towered over her so she had to look up to meet his eyes.

“You wanted water, right?” Changmin asked, smiling gently. He held out the bottle, but Amanda couldn’t take it. She hadn’t slept in forty-eight hours, because she was excited about coming to Seoul, the flight was murderously long, and she hadn’t eaten anything. All of this combined with anticipation, exhaustion, and the fact that her friend had just run into a DBSK member was too much to handle. And now Amanda herself had run into a DBSK member- the mature maknae of the group (and her personal favorite) Changmin. Am I dreaming? Amanda asked herself, swaying from side to side. Her vision was getting blurry, and it wasn’t long before she was pitched into total darkness.

~~~

Changmin’s eyes widened as the small girl began to fall. He dropped the bottle of water, and caught her before she hit the floor.

“Great…” Changmin mumbled, miserably, “So this is what happens when I try to talk to a cute girl…”

~~~

Adri had never imagined that she would be alone in an elevator with Yunho. The idea seemed so farfetched that she had never even thought about it before…but here she was…

Since Adri wasn’t familiar with Hotel Jung, Jung Hye-Bin suggested that Yunho should walk her to her room. She tried to refuse the offer, but like a gentleman, Yunho insisted.  He even carried her suitcase. So now Adri was trapped in an elevator with him, hoping he didn’t notice how nervous she was.

“Thanks for helping out my Aunt back in America,” Yunho said suddenly. He looked at Adri and smiled lightly, “Not many people would do that.”

“I keep telling Ms. Jung Hye-Bin I didn’t do anything. I was simply in the way. But she won’t listen to me,” Adri replied, laughing genuinely. She could feel some tension leave her body.

Yunho chuckled, “That’s my Aunt for you…she won’t take no for an answer.”

Adri smiled, nodding her head in agreement.

The next words Yunho said were so low Adri had to strain to hear them, “People tell me I’m the same way.”

Adri’s smile disappeared, and she forced herself to look at his face. He was staring back at her, his dark brown eyes intense. She looked away quickly. Whoa…what does he mean by that? Adri didn’t say anything else, but she realized she was stupid. She had been so shocked to find out Yunho was related to Jung Hye-Bin, but in reality the resemblance was obvious. They had the same confident, almond-shaped eyes (she had noticed that subconsciously in the café when she first met Jung Hye-Bin) and they both had the same birthmark by their lips. Their personalities were similar too! Not to mention they had the same last name…

Adri’s thoughts were interrupted when Yunho asked, “Did my Aunt tell you I was…well…in a band?” He shook his head, “I mean a boy band- not the kind with guitars and eyeliner…”

Adri stayed quiet. Should I tell him I’m a fan? That I own every DBSK album ever made, and have the biggest crush on him? She glanced at him. He was still waiting for an answer. No…I don’t want to scare him off. What if he thinks I’m an obsessed fangirl? I mean, I am a huge fan, but I’m not obsessed like some girls…

Time was passing, and Adri didn’t know what to do so…she lied. She lied, and the minute the words came out of she hated herself for it. “You’re in a boy band?” She asked innocently, giggling.

Yunho actually blushed, and explained, “Yeah…it’s called DBSK. Boy bands are still very popular in Korea, even though they’ve faded away in the U.S.” I must’ve been confused. She doesn’t know who I am. Man, I really need to get some rest.

“So… are you guys super popular?” Adri asked, wanting to slap herself. What are you doing?!

“A little bit,” Yunho responded modestly. 

The elevator doors opened and Yunho and Adri stepped out. He walked her to her room and carried her luggage in. That’s when Adri realized Amanda was gone. “Oh my God!” She gasped, slapping her forehead. “I-I came here with a friend, and I think I’ve lost her!”

Yunho frowned, “Ok, calm down. When was the last time you saw her?”

“Downstairs in the lobby!” Adri exclaimed, trying not to panic. First her passport, and now this. What an adventure her first day in  Seoul was turning out to be.

“I can help you find her. I know this hotel better than the Mirotic choreography,” Yunho said, trying to comfort the girl. Wait…how would she know what Mirotic is? Stop being conceited, Yunho! Not every girl in Korea is in love with you and DBSK. “Come on, let’s go,” Yunho said, grabbing Adri’s hand, “I can get some of the members in the band to help out.”

As soon as Yunho’s hand touched Adri’s she forgot about everything. Her mind went completely blank except for the words: He’s touching me…he’s touching me! Yunho Jung is touching me! His hands were huge in comparison to hers, but they were smooth and soft. Adri’s legs turned to jelly as they ran down the hall so she had to concentrate on not tripping or falling.

Yunho suddenly burst into one of the rooms, and shouted, “Changmin! I need your help! A girl is missing!”

Adri peered over his shoulder, and gasped. “Amanda?” She said, confused.

The young girl was lying in a bed close to the window with a surprised Changmin by her side. She looked like she was sleeping, and a wet washcloth rested on her forehead.

“What’s going on?” Yunho asked as Adri ran over to her friend.

“She fainted,” Changmin said simply.

“But…what happened?” Adri pressed on for more information.

“She passed out in front of a vending machine after I offered her some water. I carried her up here, and called one of the hotel’s medics, and he said she should wake up soon. It's exhaustion,” Changmin explained.

Adri sighed in relief and thought, Poor Amanda. She probably passed out because of meeting Changmin so suddenly in addition to everything else that’s happened. I’m exhausted and jet-lagged myself.

“Thanks for taking care of her,” Adri said. “Oh, and my name is Adri. Her name is Amanda, and it’s our first time in Korea. We’re both a little over-whelmed.”

Changmin smiled calmly, “It happens.”

 

~~~

 

Amanda woke up to see three people staring at her. Yunho looked apprehensive, Adri looked worn out, and Changmin simply looked…calm.

“What happened?” Amanda questioned groggily, sitting up.

“You passed out and scared me to death,” Adri stated plainly.

Amanda snuck a peek at Changmin and thought, Now I remember. I wonder if he carried me all the way up here? She glanced at Yunho. Or maybe it was him…

Changmin was watching Amanda closely, and as soon as he saw her eyes travel to Yunho, he quickly said, “I carried you up here.”

“Oh,” Amanda said quietly.

“Are you OK?” Changmin asked, removing the wet towel from Amanda’s forehead.

“Yeah…thanks…”

An awkward silence filled the room. After a couple of seconds Yunho couldn’t stand it anymore so he asked, “Where’s everyone else?”

“Getting something to eat,” Changmin replied.

Adri was starving, but she wasn’t about to say so. She didn’t want to sound desperate even though she wanted to spend more time with Yunho, Changmin, and meet the other members of DBSK.

“Well…” Adri said, standing up, “We’re gonna get going now. Thank you so much.”

Amanda climbed out of the comfortable bed reluctantly, and followed Adri to the door. “Thank you…and say hi to Jaejoong, Yoochun, and Junsu for us,” she said. Adri’s eyes widened, and she pushed Amanda out the door. Oh my God! She’s gonna expose me! Adri thought frantically. She shut the door behind Amanda, and turned around to face a confused Yunho.

“How does she know my band members’ names?” He asked quietly.

“U-um,” Adri stammered, “They were showing…popular Korean artists on the plane’s TV! Amanda mentioned a particular group with five guys, but I-I was asleep so I’m not sure.” She finished her explanation out of breath and sweating. Lying wasn't her forte, but Yunho was grinning so he probably believed it.

“They’re running shows about us on planes?” Yunho inquired, laughing. “That’s a little strange…but cool, I guess. That’s why your friend knows our names, huh? She’s got a good memory.”

“Sure…”Adri squeaked nervously, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. She looked at Changmin and froze, tightening painfully. He was staring at her suspiciously, and his arms were crossed. Crap! Adri’s brain screamed. I forgot how smart he was! Maybe he knows I’m lying! Changmin held her gaze until she blinked and looked away.

Adri turned her attention back to Yunho, and forced a smile. “It was really nice meeting you. Have a good night.” She opened the door to leave, but Yunho suddenly grabbed her arm.

“Wait,” he said. “How long will you be in Seoul?”

“A couple of months. Your Aunt has been kind enough to let us stay at the hotel for a while.”

Yunho let go of her arm. “OK. Get some rest.”

Adri stared at him for a moment, suddenly reluctant to leave. Would she ever see him again? It was a miracle they met in the first place! Adri took in his features, memorizing them in case this was the last time. He was different in person- that was for sure. Yunho seemed like a natural when he posed shirtless in pictures. He always appeared confident and in-charge. But in person, under the confidence, Adri saw a soft kindness. She saw a quiet gentleness, and an eagerness to help others.

“Bye,” Adri said quietly. She walked out of the room, and headed down the hall to the suite she would be sharing with Amanda. Once she stepped in and closed the door, Amanda let her have it.

“Why’d you push me out of their room?!”

Adri sighed and sat down on her bed. “Amanda…I did something really stupid earlier…”

“What?” Amanda asked, alarmed.

“I…-”

“You’re not trying to kidnap Yunho are you?” Amanda interrupted, her eyes wide. “Because I thought you were kidding all those times!”

That made Adri laugh. “No, crazy!” Her laughter slowly faded into a frown, “I lied to him.”

“Huh? About what?” Amanda asked.

“I told him I didn’t know who DBSK was!” Adri blurted out.

“What?!” Amanda shrieked.

“I didn’t want him to think I was just another psychotic fangirl! So I lied, and told him I had never heard of DBSK before! That’s why I pushed you out of the room when you mentioned the other members!” Adri exclaimed.

Amanda started unpacking her suitcase, “I can’t believe you, Adri. What are you gonna do? Pretending you don’t know about them won’t be easy to pull off.”

“I know…but at the same time we may never see them again!” Adri exclaimed.

A pang went through Amanda’s heart, and she stopped unpacking for a second. She’s right…This may be the first and last time I get to see Changmin. I still can’t believe he carried me all the way up to his room. She pictured Changmin carrying her in his lean arms, with a look of concern on his gentle face, and blushed. If only she had been awake to actually experience it.

Amanda finished putting her clothes away and said to Adri, “You’re probably right…but I won’t help you lie. You should tell Yunho the truth if you see him again.”

“I will…” Adri agreed. “He'll hate me though…”

Amanda giggled, “At least you didn’t faint in front of him!”

“Whatever! You know you liked the attention,” Adri argued, wiggling her eyebrows. The two girls talked for another hour about their favorite DBSK members and how wonderful it was to be in Korea. Soon they were both in bed, exhausted because of the flight and the day’s surprising events, but happy nonetheless.

 

~~~

 

Adri woke up at 2PM the next day. She was groggy and jet-lagged, but most of all hungry! She couldn’t even remember her last meal! So she took a quick shower, threw on some sweatpants, and stumbled downstairs to the hotel’s humongous dining area.

Adri’s eyes widened and immediately began to water once she caught a glance of what was being served. Everything was buffet-style, and you could choose between breakfast or lunch foods even though it was the middle of the afternoon. She grabbed two plates, and a tray and started filling them up with pancakes, eggs, and bacon. Amanda was still asleep when Adri left, so she figured she would bring her up some food too.

In the elevator Adri found her ipod in her pocket, and decided to listen to some music. She pressed play and Replay by Shinee came on. She started singing along and bobbing her head, completely unaware of her surroundings. The elevator opened, and Adri stepped out, heading to her room. An excited maid rushed out of her room, and smiled at her as she stepped in. What’s she so happy about? Adri wondered.

The young girl closed the door, kicked off her slippers, and set the breakfast tray down with one plate on it, singing, “Noona nomu yeppo…replay…replay…replay!” She took out one earphone and heard the shower running. “Amanda! I brought you breakfast! Hurry up before it gets cold!” The shower stopped abruptly. Adri popped the earphone back in and began singing.

After a few seconds she took out the earphone again and shouted, “Amanda!” The bathroom door opened slowly so Adri turned around and said, “You take such a long-…” She suddenly choked on the sentence, dropping her breakfast plate on the floor. It made a loud crashing noise.

Standing in front of her was a soaking wet young man with a towel around his waist…not Amanda.

 

~~~

Author's Note: ...Told you guys I was mean. >: 3 The more views and (particularly) comments I get, the faster I'll update!