Three

Cherry Blossoms

“You?” Jin stared at me. “She met you?”

“Yeah.” Sakura agreed, playing along. “Jimin and I are…”

“Getting to know each other.” I interrupted. Technically, none of what we told him was a lie.

“Yeah.” She smiled at me. “We are.”

 

Jin looked between the two of us.

“Were you cheating on me?” He asked quietly. “How can you meet someone so quickly after we broke up?”

“No, of course not.” Sakura assured him. “Jimin and I met by chance. He was working when you broke up with me. Over the phone.” She added, glaring at him.

Jin flushed. “I’m sorry about that.” He muttered, avoiding her eyes. He still hadn’t let go of her hands. “But I just can’t let you go to someone else. We were together for three years. How can you just throw it all away like that for a stranger?” He met my eyes, dislike apparent in his gaze.

“How can you just throw it all away with a simple phone call?” She hissed, snatching her hands out of his grasp.

“I was out of my mind, baby. Please, don’t leave me.” Jin begged, reaching out and her cheek.

“Sorry, I can’t be with you.” Sakura said firmly, turning her head away from his hand. “I’m with Jimin now. You should go.”

Jin looked at her once more, desperately. “Please, Sakura.”

“No.” She looked over at me. I blinked, startled. I hadn’t realized I’d been staring until she met my eyes.

“Ah, yeah.” I chimed in. “It’s time for you to step back.”

Jin sighed, a long release. “I’m not done talking with you, Sakura. I’ll see you next week at the dinner.”

“Oh, , I forgot about that.” She bit her lip, looking worried.

“Would you stop with the vulgar language? It’s not ladylike.” Jin scolded.

“ youuuu.” She sang sweetly at him. I giggled, enjoying her sassy attitude. Jin shot me a look before getting up and walking towards the door.

“You better be there next week, Sakura. It’s important.” He warned her as the door swung shut behind him.

 

Sakura let out a deep sigh.

I puttered around the kitchen, wondering how to talk about the fact that I’d just pretended to be her romantic interest. It had been a little impulsive on my part, but I’d seen enough of my own sister getting pestered by ex-boyfriends to know when a girl could use a little help.

“Thank you, Jimin.” She said softly, looking over at me. I met her gaze with a smile.

“Not a problem, sweetheart.” I said casually, wondering if the pet name would offend her. Some girls hated that.

Sakura stood and walked over to me, carrying her empty plate. She passed it to me and started talking as I put it out of the way for now.

“You didn’t have to do that.” She rested her elbows on the countertop and placed her chin in her hands. “You don’t even know me at all.”

I shrugged. “Does it matter? It wasn’t a big inconvenience for me. I would have done it for any minor acquaintance troubled by an ex-boyfriend.” I grinned at her as I handed her a green tea. “On the house.” I insisted, seeing her reluctance to take it.

“You’re sweet.” She said as she took a sip, looking over the rim of the cup.

“That’s why my cakes are so delicious.” I wiped some imaginary crumbs off the countertop for something to do. I wondered if she thought I had been strange to step in between her and Jin.

“Can you…would you mind doing me a favor?” Sakura asked hesitantly. I looked up at her and bit my lip, wondering if she was going to tell me off or something.

“What is it?” I asked nervously.

“Would you…um, would you be my date to this dinner next week?” She bit her lip and avoided my eyes, a flush creeping over her cheeks.

I broke out into a broad smile. “Sure!”

“Really?” Sakura let out a sigh, relief flooding her face. “Thank God. It’s just that’s Jin’s going to be there and since we told him we were together, I wanted to make sure he knew I wasn’t interested in him anymore. I can pay you, don’t worry.” She added hurriedly, seeing my face fall.

“Ah, that’s okay.” I brushed it off. “I can do this for you. Just make sure you come and eat some more cake.”

“I don’t think that will be a problem.” She grinned as she pulled a piece of paper out of her purse. “Here’s my business card. It’s got my phone number and everything on it, so just text me and I’ll save your number.”

“Okay.” I said, taking it from her. I studied it for a moment. So she was a bookstore owner, huh? I supposed it went with the whole indie girl vibe she had going on.

“Thanks again, Jimin!” She smiled sweetly at me. A few curls escaped from her precarious bun and framed her face. Damn, she looked pretty like this.

“You’re welcome.” I said softly, a little mesmerized by the sight. I blinked and smiled at her. “It’s a date, sweetheart.”

She laughed. “I’ll probably see you soon. I just can’t stay away from your delicious cake.”

“More like you can’t stay away from me.” I teased.

“Bye, Jimin.” She waved as she walked backwards to the door. Her skirt rode up a little bit, revealing more of her nice legs.

“Bye, Sakura.” I watched her disappear from my sight, then rested my head against the counter. For a second there, I thought she had been really asking me out.

“Damn it.” I muttered, straightening up and running a hand through my hair. “What the hell have I gotten myself into?”