Two

Cherry Blossoms

She came again the next week.

 

The bell above the door to the bakery chimed and I looked up to see her stroll in wearing a short blue sundress covered in daises. Her curls were gathered in a massive bun perched on top of her head. It looked like it could fall over at any moment. I smiled as she looked over at me. She grinned and made her way over to me. The sway of her hips started my heart racing.

 

"Hi, Jimin." She leaned against the counter casually. It was only my second time meeting her. Did she really feel so comfortable already?

"Hi, Sakura." I said softly, glancing up at her shyly as I cleaned off the countertop.

"Do you have any more of that cake with blueberries?" She asked.

"Uh, yeah. Let me check." I turned away and pulled it out of the fridge. I could feel her eyes on me as I put it on the counter and cut an extra large slice.

I put it on a plate decorated with daffodils and passed it to her.

“Can I get you anything else?”  I asked as she took a bite right there at the counter.

“This is delicious. Do you know who makes this?” She had some icing on her lip. I resisted the urge to wipe it off with my thumb.

“I do.” I said, ringing up her order.

“I could probably eat this every day.” She smiled at me.

“You’re welcome to.” I smiled at her. “But we’re closed on Sundays, so you better get two slices on Saturday.”

“Too bad for you.” She sighed. “You’ll miss seeing my beautiful face on Sundays.”

“Are you flirting with me?” I laughed as I took her money. “Don’t you have a boyfriend?”

“Didn’t you witness my embarrassing breakup last week?” She muttered, flushing. “Thanks for, um, comforting me.”

“It’s not a problem.” I said easily, passing her the change. “I can’t stand to see a pretty girl cry.”

She winked at me before walking away and taking a seat.

 

The bakery remained empty for a little while as she ate her cake. I busied myself with tidying up the display case, making sure that each pastry looked appetizing. I glanced over at her from time to time, only to catch her peeking back at me.

The bell above the door chimed as a good-looking guy walked in. He looked to be around my age, maybe a bit older.

“Hello, welcome.” I greeted him. He ignored me and made straight towards Sakura’s table.

 

“Sakura!” He sat down across from her and ran a hand through his hair agitatedly.

“Jin?” She looked up from her cake, surprised.

“I’m sorry, honey, I’m so sorry.” Jin said desperately, taking her hands. “I didn’t mean it. Let’s get back together.”

“What? Jin. What are you doing here?” She stumbled over her words as her cheeks flushed. I caught myself unabashedly staring at the pair of them.

“I don’t want to break up with you.” Jin whispered, squeezing her hands. “I’ve been so stupid. Please, can you give me another chance?”

“I don’t know.” Sakura said hesitantly. She glanced over at me. I quickly looked away, trying to give them a moment of privacy.

Damn. Just when I had finally met a cute girl, her ex-boyfriend had to come bursting into my bakery apologizing.

“Please, Sakura?” Jin pleaded with her.

“Sorry, Jin.” She replied, not sounding very sorry at all. “I’ve met someone else.”

“Who?” Jin demanded. “It’s only been a week! Who could you have met? Are you lying to me?”

“No, I’m not lying.” Sakura bluffed. It really seemed obvious to both me and Jin that she had lied.

“Well, who did you meet?” Jin persisted.

“Me.” I said, taking everyone, including myself, by surprise. “She met me.”